PDA

View Full Version : My cats and Tuna

David Mooney
March 2nd 07, 06:59 PM
I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their cats
tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

Thanks,
David M

Matthew
March 2nd 07, 07:11 PM
David canned tuna is fine for cats but not a everyday food.

I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from the store and
they love it

http://www.aspca.org/aspcablog/2006/06/ask-apcc-can-canned-tuna-fish-be-fed.html
Ask the APCC: Can canned tuna fish be fed to cats?
Can canned tuna fish be fed to cats? Mine loves the smell and desperately
wants it, but I heard that tuna contains mercury.
-Jo P.

An occasional tuna treat given to your cat is probably relatively harmless.
It's true that mercury is often present in tuna, and at low levels, this may
not be a problem. But if tuna is fed nearly exclusively, it could
potentially pose significant problems

22brix
March 2nd 07, 07:18 PM
A bit of tuna occasionally as a treat is okay but not as part of their
regular diet. I primarily use it if one of my cats is sick and not eating
well--tuna juice sprinkled over their food can sometimes get them to eat it.
It's not a nutritionally complete food for cats (lacks taurine which is
essential for cats). It's high in sodium and is just not a good cat food.
Tuna also has high levels of mercury which is definitely NOT good for cats.

Good quality canned food is better for them, (better than dry). Find
something with poultry or beef as the first ingredient. Some cats are
allergic to fish. And yes, my cats love tuna.

Bonnie

"David Mooney" > wrote in message
>I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
>all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
>they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
>they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
>cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.
>
> Thanks,
> David M

silvercelt
March 2nd 07, 07:23 PM
They can't live off just tuna. I sometimes give a bit as a treat.

Christina Websell
March 2nd 07, 07:26 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message
>I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
>all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
>they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
>they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
>cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

My two like tuna but I only feed it as an occasional treat. Firstly because
it isn't a balanced diet fed on its own and secondly I have found that if I
give my cats "fancy food" often, they turn their noses up at "normal good
food."
My vet once said to me "never feed your cat/dogs/whatever on food they would
give their eye-teeth for on a regular basis, if you do there is nothing that
will tempt them when they are ill."
This seemed like good advice and I have followed it ever since.

Tweed

MoMo via CatKB.com
March 2nd 07, 07:48 PM
My cats love tuna. Whenever I make tuna fish, I always squeeze out the juice
into two bowls for my guys and they lap it up like there is no tomorrow.

David Mooney wrote:
>I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
>all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
>they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
>they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their cats
>tuna and whether their cats love it or not.
>
>Thanks,
>David M

zinzee
March 2nd 07, 08:05 PM
On Mar 2, 1:26 pm, "Christina Websell"
> wrote:
> "David Mooney" > wrote in message

> >I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
> >all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
> >they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
> >they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
> >cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.
>
> My two like tuna but I only feed it as an occasional treat. Firstly because
> it isn't a balanced diet fed on its own and secondly I have found that if I
> give my cats "fancy food" often, they turn their noses up at "normal good
> food."
> My vet once said to me "never feed your cat/dogs/whatever on food they would
> give their eye-teeth for on a regular basis, if you do there is nothing that
> will tempt them when they are ill."
> This seemed like good advice and I have followed it ever since.
>
> Tweed

Your vet is totally right. I always thought I was doing the right
thing when I fed my cat Wellness dry food, Greenies as occasional
treats, and nothing else. Every once in a GREAT while, I'd give him
tuna juice and he'd still slurp it up. A couple of months ago he
seemed interested in the salmon I was eating, so I gave him a piece.
He just smelled it and walked away! It was wild caught, too. I was
****ed because it was in his bowl and therefore wasted.

Anyhow, recently I've had to daily medicate with L-lysine and found it
difficult to get Mack C. to eat canned food! I trained him far too
well for his own good. I had to give him the meds so I went and
purchased some tuna and mixed the meds in with the tuna juice.
Luckily, he drank it (phew!). I gave him a small piece of tuna with
it but he pretty much ignored it and just went for the juice.

I've since been able to coax him into eating Wellness canned food. He
still likes a little dry food everyday. If he got tuna juice on a
regular basis I may have not been able to get him to take the
medication. It took me about a week to train him to eat the canned
food right away.

Tara Legale
March 2nd 07, 08:26 PM
Are you talking cat food tuna or people tuna? I have a few cats who will
only eat cat food tuna products, tuna and cheese is their favorite. When I
make myself tuna I always drain the tuna water out and dole it out for the
cats, they love the juice.

Tara Legale
March 2nd 07, 08:26 PM
"Matthew" > wrote
> I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from the store and
> they love it

You can buy just tuna juice? Where do you live? I'm in Wisconsin. My
cats would LOVE that.

AZ Nomad
March 2nd 07, 08:30 PM
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:48:28 GMT, MoMo via CatKB.com <[email protected]> wrote:

>My cats love tuna. Whenever I make tuna fish, I always squeeze out the juice
>into two bowls for my guys and they lap it up like there is no tomorrow.

My kitty's favorite is flying grilled shark. That way he gets to run it down,
grab it to break it's little neck and enjoy the kill.

David Mooney
March 2nd 07, 08:30 PM
"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> Are you talking cat food tuna or people tuna? I have a few cats who will
> only eat cat food tuna products, tuna and cheese is their favorite. When
> I make myself tuna I always drain the tuna water out and dole it out for
> the cats, they love the juice.

I am talking about people tuna. I want to thank everyone who has responded
because now I KNOW not to feed my cats tuna too much. My cats drank the
juice and then began eating the meat. I will feed them this tuna once a week
or so. Thanks to alll of you for letting me know.

Regards,
David M

Matthew
March 2nd 07, 08:34 PM
I live in Florida it is at a local supermarket they have here.

"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> "Matthew" > wrote
>> I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from the store
>> and they love it
>

> You can buy just tuna juice? Where do you live? I'm in Wisconsin. My
> cats would LOVE that.

cindys
March 2nd 07, 10:45 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message
>I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
>all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
>they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
>they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
>cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.
----------
My cats love tuna, especially the juice. That was all Molly ate in her last
year of life. But I supplemented her with feline vitamins. Cats require
certain vitamins and minerals to maintain their health. If they eat only
tuna, they will begin to suffer from vitamin deficiencies, so it should only
be for a treat. They need to eat cat food. But there is no shortage of
canned cat foods with tuna in them, so that could be a compromise.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bobblespin
March 3rd 07, 12:56 AM
"David Mooney" > wrote in
:

> I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and
> they all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed
> them and they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in
> the can but they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone
> here feeds their cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.
>
> Thanks,
> David M

An article by a vetenarian appeared in our newspaper recently:

"Cats shouldn't eat much tuna

Bernhard Pukay
Citizen Special Monday, February 05, 2007

Q: A few years ago, a veterinarian told me not to feed tuna to cats
because they would go blind. My daughter had a beautiful black cat that
went blind and eventually died. I had told her over and over not to feed
him tuna, but my advice fell on deaf ears. She now has three young cats
and all are eating tuna (along with dry kibble). Please tell her that I
am right by begging her not to feed her cats tuna. I can't stand to
think of these precious animals going blind.

A: Your advice is correct up to a point. There is nothing wrong with
feeding tuna fish to cats so long as the amount of tuna that you are
feeding is limited to small treats and only if fed occasionally.

Cats can easily become addicted to fish and especially to tuna. Tuna
contains high amounts of unsaturated fatty acids, which can be harmful
to cats if fed in excess. Feeding too much fish (and tuna in particular)
can lead to a disease called "steatitis" or "yellow fat disease," an
inflammation of the body fat.

While this disease was relatively common in the past, it is fairly rare
nowadays because of the availability of nutritionally well-balanced
commercial diets.

Tuna-flavoured diets do not pose a risk because they contain very little
or no tuna.

Feeding excessive amounts of tuna does not, however, cause blindness. In
fact, what it does cause is a generalized inflammation of the body fat,
resulting in severe pain, reluctance to move, lethargy, fever, appetite
loss and a greasy or dull hair coat.

Treatment consists of eliminating tuna from the diet, supplementing with
extra vitamin E and feeding a nutritious well-balanced diet. In some
cases, steroids and painkillers may be required.

Let your daughter know that if she wants to feed tuna to her cats, she
can do so but only occasionally and only small amounts at a time.

Dr. Bernhard Pukay is an Ottawa veterinarian..."

Cheryl
March 3rd 07, 02:16 AM
On Fri 02 Mar 2007 02:26:59p, Tara Legale wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> "Matthew" > wrote
>> I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from
>> the store and they love it
>

> You can buy just tuna juice? Where do you live? I'm in
> Wisconsin. My cats would LOVE that.

I'm sure he means tuna *packed in* juice packets. "Tuna juice" is a
by product of tuna packed in liquid, not just the liquid. I know you
know that. :)

--
Cheryl

Tara Legale
March 3rd 07, 03:18 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote
> I'm sure he means tuna *packed in* juice packets.

I'm not sure. I mean, I know you can buy cans of clam juice. That is why
I had to ask.

silvercelt
March 3rd 07, 11:54 AM
Tuna juice? in packs. Not heard of that here.

Stick Waver
March 3rd 07, 03:01 PM
silvercelt wrote:

> They can't live off just tuna. I sometimes give a bit as a treat.

Unless it's cat tuna that comes in a cat food can.

Moongal
March 3rd 07, 04:11 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message
>I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
>all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
>they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
>they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
>cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.
>
> Thanks,
> David M

My cats adore tuna! They get it once in a while. Whenever I am going to
cook with it I squeeze the tuna water out into bowls for them.

silvercelt
March 7th 07, 05:57 PM
On 3 Mar, 14:01, Stick Waver > wrote:
> silvercelt wrote:
> > They can't live off just tuna. I sometimes give a bit as a treat.
>
> Unless it's cat tuna that comes in a cat food can.

That is not normal tuna....they can't just live off it as they not get
enough vitamins which is needed in a balanced diet.

James
March 8th 07, 02:00 AM
> He just smelled it and walked away! It was wild caught, too. I was
> ****ed because it was in his bowl and therefore wasted.

Oh Mr. High & Mighty is too proud to eat out of the cat's bowl, eh?

Just joking.

zinzee
March 8th 07, 02:45 AM
On Mar 7, 8:00 pm, "James" > wrote:
> > He just smelled it and walked away! It was wild caught, too. I was
> > ****ed because it was in his bowl and therefore wasted.
>
> Oh Mr. High & Mighty is too proud to eat out of the cat's bowl, eh?
>
> Just joking.

Haha! That's right, and that's Mrs. High & Mighty to you! ;)

Best,
Heather

Robotech_Master
March 9th 07, 02:51 AM
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:56:24 +0100 (CET), bobblespin > wrote:

> An article by a vetenarian appeared in our newspaper recently:

Someone had told me that cats shouldn't be given tuna because it
contained high amounts of ash that could lead to kidney problems down
the road, but so far none of the responses in this thread I've seen
have mentioned that. Was I just hallucinating?

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

IBen Getiner
March 11th 07, 12:02 PM
On Mar 2, 1:11�pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> David *canned tuna is fine for cats but not a everyday food.
>
> I feed it to them as a treat. *I get tuna juice packets from the store and
> they love it
>
> http://www.aspca.org/aspcablog/2006/06/ask-apcc-can-canned-tuna-fish-...
> Ask the APCC: Can canned tuna fish be fed to cats?
> Can canned tuna fish be fed to cats? Mine loves the smell and desperately
> wants it, but I heard that tuna contains mercury.
> -Jo P.
>
> An occasional tuna treat given to your cat is probably relatively harmless.
> It's true that mercury is often present in tuna, and at low levels, this may
> not be a problem. But if tuna is fed nearly exclusively, it could
> potentially pose significant problems

Like how? You're a nut. You're the kind of person who tries to put
their newborn on a vegan diet. KOOK.

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
March 11th 07, 12:03 PM
On Mar 2, 2:26�pm, "Tara Legale" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote
>
> > I feed it to them as a treat. *I get tuna juice packets from the store and
> > they love it
>
> You can buy just tuna juice? *Where do you live? * I'm in Wisconsin. *My
> cats would LOVE that.

STALKER ALERT.

IBen Getiner
March 11th 07, 12:07 PM
> Tuna also has high levels of mercury which is definitely NOT good for cats.

> Bonnie

It's approved for people so it should be fine for any other mammal.
Cats included. Those with special issues excluded. Just like with
people.

IBen Getiner