PDA

View Full Version : teeth ceaning, w/o anesthsia

March 4th 07, 09:21 AM
I hear horror stories about cats teeth cleaning under
anesthsia........and the expenses! Im in so. cal.,near L.A..
Any suggestion as where to find these fine folks? Gorbi & i will be
thankful. She's still a Teenager, blood test showed no great
abnormality (except elevated wbc,related to gum infection-antibiotic
helped,she's fine now)

like this forum,a novice, as it appears.....ciao!

kraut
March 4th 07, 02:22 PM
On 4 Mar 2007 00:21:58 -0800, wrote:

>I hear horror stories about cats teeth cleaning under
>anesthsia........and the expenses! Im in so. cal.,near L.A..
>Any suggestion as where to find these fine folks? Gorbi & i will be
>thankful. She's still a Teenager, blood test showed no great
>abnormality (except elevated wbc,related to gum infection-antibiotic
>helped,she's fine now)

Just what are you looking for ??

First you talk about "horror stories about cats teeth cleaning under
anesthsia........and the expenses!" then you ask "Any suggestion as
where to find these fine folks?"

Just what are you looking for ??

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=

Lynne
March 4th 07, 04:28 PM
on Sun, 04 Mar 2007 13:22:59 GMT, kraut
> wrote:

> Just what are you looking for ??

Based on the subject, I'm guessing the OP is looking for vets who will do
teeth cleanings without anesthesia. Oddly, the OP hasn't given a clue as
to where s/he is located.

I honestly can't imagine a cat submitting to this, not in anyway that would
allow a proper dental cleaning, anyway. I think any vet who attempts this
must be a masochist. Either that or a liar taking people's money for next-
to nothing. I can see dentals without anesthesia with some dogs, but even
they would be the rare exception.

--
Lynne

bookie
March 4th 07, 07:28 PM
On 4 Mar, 08:21, wrote:
> I hear horror stories about cats teeth cleaning under
> anesthsia........and the expenses! Im in so. cal.,near L.A..
> Any suggestion as where to find these fine folks? Gorbi & i will be
> thankful. She's still a Teenager, blood test showed no great
> abnormality (except elevated wbc,related to gum infection-antibiotic
> helped,she's fine now)
>
> like this forum,a novice, as it appears.....ciao!

er...I used to clean my jasper's teeth with a special kitty toothbursh
and enzyamtic toothpaste whcih the vet provided after i took him for
his first dental. for various reasons due to his previous mum and
suchlike he was susceptible to plaque formign rather quickly and
painfull onhis teeth and so once or twice a a week i had to wrap him
in a towel and giev his teeth a bit of a scrub, but this was AFTER he
had had his first ever dental (aged 17, his prev mum never took him to
the vets!!!! probably coudln't afford to or something). The majority
of hard plaque build up had already been removed by the vet under
anaesthetic (jasper was under , not the vet) and what i was doing was
real;ly just preventative against more build up.

there is no way i think the vet could have removed that plaque with
oue knocking jasper otu first, even though jasper was very placid and
old, would have too much stress for jasper and mayeb too painful.

you say you cat is a teenager, do you mean in cat term or human terms?
how old is the cat in our years? if she is young and you are looking
to prevent plaque build up then maybe you coudl satrt teeth brushing
now and this coudl delay paque build up and reduce need for dental
work later. Only use toothpaste you get form the vet, it isn;t
expensive and is the only stuff you should use for cats, stuff for
humans may be toxic to cats.

more info woudl be helpful here
bookie

kitkat via CatKB.com
March 5th 07, 04:15 AM
definitely get a professional cleaning from the vet. maintanance with the
special brush mentioned is fine, but it is imperative that a thorough
cleaning gets done approx. every 2 years. People are supposed to get a
cleaning every year and we brush our teeth everyday!

it is expensive but it's far better then the cost of the heart medication
you're going to eventually need to buy if you don't do this...and your cat
will thank you when he/she still has all his/her teeth 10 years from now.
Plus the longer you wait, the more expensive this procedure is going to
become. I adopted an older cat that never got his teeth cleaned - he had to
have 3 teeth removed and that added another $225 to the procedure...plus the
poor guy has such trouble eating dinner these days.

I've had multiple cats and none of them have had a problem with anesthesia -
they are lethargic most of the day but are fine within 24 hours. I've heard
of cats vomitting but nothing worse.