PDA

View Full Version : 5 pound containers of cat litter in DC Metro area or Maryland?

CJ
March 5th 07, 02:29 PM
In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
or suburban MD?

Thanks,
CJ

cindys
March 5th 07, 02:36 PM
"CJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
> have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
> litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
> Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
> or suburban MD?
----------
I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add that
I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw 5-pound
containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of smaller
containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound containers.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

zinzee
March 5th 07, 02:58 PM
On Mar 5, 9:36 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "CJ" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
> > have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
> > litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
> > Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
> > or suburban MD?
>
> ----------
> I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add that
> I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw 5-pound
> containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
> was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of smaller
> containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
> always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound containers.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Do you live in an area where it can be delivered? I will check at my
local pet store and let you know what my findings are.

Best,
Heather

CJ
March 5th 07, 03:39 PM
Hi, Cindy. Yes, I was probably talking about 7 pound containers. 5,
7, whatever, I can't find them. Same issue, by the way, bad back....

Someone else suggested trying mail order, I'll have to do that, I
guess.

CJ

On Mar 5, 9:36 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "CJ" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
> > have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
> > litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
> > Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
> > or suburban MD?
>
> ----------
> I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add that
> I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw 5-pound
> containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
> was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of smaller
> containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
> always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound containers.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

cindys
March 5th 07, 03:42 PM
"zinzee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 5, 9:36 am, "cindys" > wrote:
>> "CJ" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...> In the
>> DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
>> > have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
>> > litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
>> > Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
>> > or suburban MD?
>>
>> ----------
>> I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add
>> that
>> I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw
>> 5-pound
>> containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
>> was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of
>> smaller
>> containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
>> always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound
>> containers.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Do you live in an area where it can be delivered? I will check at my
> local pet store and let you know what my findings are.
-----------
Are you directing this to CJ or to me? If you are directing this to me,
thank you, but I have learned to recruit my sons to carry the containers up
the stairs. It was more convenient for me to buy the smaller containers when
they were available, but (with a bit of prodding) my sons are willing to
carry the larger ones up the stairs for me. I have thought about having cat
litter delivered (even if we are talking about the 14-pound containers) as I
buy a lot of cat litter, and it would be nice to have it brought to my door
rather than dealing with lifting multiple containers off the supermarket
shelves, into the cart, then later loading it into my car and unloading it
at my house (because it is hard on my back). I guess I just assumed that the
delivery charges would be very high. I think I may look into it however.
Thank you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

zinzee
March 5th 07, 05:39 PM
On Mar 5, 10:42 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "zinzee" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On Mar 5, 9:36 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> >> "CJ" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> In the
> >> DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
>
> >> ----------
> >> I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add
> >> that
> >> I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw
> >> 5-pound
> >> containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
> >> was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of
> >> smaller
> >> containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
> >> always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound
> >> containers.
> >> Best regards,
> >> ---Cindy S.
>
> > Do you live in an area where it can be delivered? I will check at my
> > local pet store and let you know what my findings are.
>
> -----------
> Are you directing this to CJ or to me? If you are directing this to me,
> thank you, but I have learned to recruit my sons to carry the containers up
> the stairs. It was more convenient for me to buy the smaller containers when
> they were available, but (with a bit of prodding) my sons are willing to
> carry the larger ones up the stairs for me. I have thought about having cat
> litter delivered (even if we are talking about the 14-pound containers) as I
> buy a lot of cat litter, and it would be nice to have it brought to my door
> rather than dealing with lifting multiple containers off the supermarket
> shelves, into the cart, then later loading it into my car and unloading it
> at my house (because it is hard on my back). I guess I just assumed that the
> delivery charges would be very high. I think I may look into it however.
> Thank you.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Cindy, I was directing it to both of you, really.

Petco.com is having a shipping event with $6.95 flat-rate shipping for
your entire order. Though, there is a surcharge for litter of 20
cents per pound. However, if you sign up for google shopping and this
is your first order through them, you get $10 off! I signed up for
google shopping but didn't see anything I needed right away. I think
I finally found what I can use my $10 discount on!

Is Scoop Away a good brand? They also have Nature's Miracle litter.
I use Nature's Miracle products to sprinkle on the litter and have
their other products just in case the rebel ever comes out in my
kitty. I've never used their litter, but I'm temped to try it based
on the effectiveness of the litter treatment powder.

Best,
Heather

mlbriggs
March 5th 07, 05:51 PM
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:36:51 -0500, cindys wrote:

> "CJ" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
>> have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
>> litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
>> Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
>> or suburban MD?
> ----------
> I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add that
> I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw 5-pound
> containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
> was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of smaller
> containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
> always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound containers.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

I have considered delivery. However, you still have to be able to carry
it from the door to wherever it is used. I haven't seen the smaller
containers in a couple of years. When my youngest grandson shopped for
me, he found a "great buy" on 20 pound containers. Needless to say I
could not even budge it. I had to use a cup and place smaller amounts
into another container in order to transport it to the litter pan. I do
have trouble with the 14 pound containers too. Nothing is "easy". MLB

cindys
March 5th 07, 06:02 PM
"zinzee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

> Cindy, I was directing it to both of you, really.
>
> Petco.com is having a shipping event with $6.95 flat-rate shipping for
> your entire order. Though, there is a surcharge for litter of 20
> cents per pound. However, if you sign up for google shopping and this
> is your first order through them, you get $10 off! I signed up for
> google shopping but didn't see anything I needed right away. I think
> I finally found what I can use my $10 discount on!
>
> Is Scoop Away a good brand? They also have Nature's Miracle litter.
> I use Nature's Miracle products to sprinkle on the litter and have
> their other products just in case the rebel ever comes out in my
> kitty. I've never used their litter, but I'm temped to try it based
> on the effectiveness of the litter treatment powder.
----------
I use the local supermarket brand of crystal blend cat litter. If they are
out of stock, I will buy the Tidy Cat Crystal Blend. The only difference
that I can see (other than the fact that the Tidy Cat container is
recyclable and the supermarket brand container isn't) is that the
supermarket brand is about $1.50 cheaper for 14 pounds. I have five cats and
six litterboxes, so you can imagine the odor potential. I was previously
using regular scoopable litter with deodorizers. No matter how much I
cleaned the litterboxes, the litterboxes still reeked. I was embarassed to
let anyone come upstairs in my house. With the crystal blend litter, there
is almost zero odor in either the open litterboxes or the covered
litterboxes.

When Molly was so sick and had taken to using the corner of the living room
for a litterbox, I compromised by putting a covered litter box in the
hallway off my kitchen, which she was willing to use (most of the time).
There was zero odor coming from that box, and when I took the cover off to
clean it, I couldn't smell any bad odors. The crystals seem to absorb all
the odors.

In the past, I have also used the all-crystal litter. That worked great in
terms of absorption and odor control (despite the expense), but my cats
didn't really like it, and finally Amanda refused to use the litter box
entirely. Once I provided a box or two with the traditional clumping litter,
Amanda (and all the other cats) started using the traditional clumping
litter boxes only and would not use the all-crystal litter boxes at all, so
I started buying only the traditional clumping litter again, but the odor
was horrendous (no matter how much I cleaned the boxes). The crystal blend
has been a great compromise and works out great. At this point, I would not
consider any cat litter that was not a crystal blend. I don't know if Scoop
Away makes one or not. I know that Tidy Cat does. I have never tried
Nature's Miracle cat litter at all, but their enzymatic cleaner works great
on "accidents."
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rene S.
March 5th 07, 07:38 PM
On Mar 5, 8:36 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "CJ" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
> > have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
> > litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
> > Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
> > or suburban MD?

I don't live near you, but have you tried Walgreens? As of a couple of
months ago, they still carried 7 lb containers.

cybercat
March 5th 07, 08:21 PM
"CJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
> have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
> litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
> Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
> or suburban MD?

What do you do with five pounds of litter?

Matthew
March 5th 07, 08:27 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CJ" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
>> have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
>> litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
>> Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
>> or suburban MD?
>>

> What do you do with five pounds of litter?
Fill one box in my house ;-)

cybercat
March 5th 07, 09:16 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "CJ" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
>>> have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
>>> litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
>>> Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
>>> or suburban MD?
>>>

>> What do you do with five pounds of litter?
> Fill one box in my house ;-)

I guess I forgot what the little boxes hold. To cut back on litter scatter,
we use boxes that need at least 14 lbs to fill them.

Matthew
March 5th 07, 09:32 PM
Remember I have about 10 boxes in the house
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "CJ" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...
>>>>

>>> What do you do with five pounds of litter?
>> Fill one box in my house ;-)
>
> I guess I forgot what the little boxes hold. To cut back on litter
> scatter, we use boxes that need at least 14 lbs to fill them.

James
March 6th 07, 03:15 AM
On Mar 5, 4:32 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Remember I have about 10 boxes in the house"cybercat" > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> >> Fill one box in my house ;-)
>
> > I guess I forgot what the little boxes hold. To cut back on litter
> > scatter, we use boxes that need at least 14 lbs to fill them.- Hide quoted text -

James
March 6th 07, 03:18 AM
Petco & PetSmart probably sell it in bulk by the pound. You scoup up
what you want so you can pack your own 2 or 3 pound bags for ease of
carrying.

Lynne
March 6th 07, 03:24 AM
on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 03:18:30 GMT, "James" > wrote:

> Petco & PetSmart probably sell it in bulk by the pound. You scoup up
> what you want so you can pack your own 2 or 3 pound bags for ease of
> carrying.

Not where I live.

--
Lynne