PDA

View Full Version : Removing caked-on clumping litter from paws?


Robotech_Master
March 6th 07, 07:33 AM
My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
lot as her hair gets pulled.

Is there any good way of doing this?


Also, on an unrelated subject: http://xkcd.com/c231.html

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Buddy's Mom
March 6th 07, 10:58 AM
Can you put her paw under the faucet?

On Mar 6, 2:33´┐Żam, Robotech_Master > wrote:
> My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
> kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
> pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
> lot as her hair gets pulled.
>
> Is there any good way of doing this?
>
> Also, on an unrelated subject:http://xkcd.com/c231.html
>
> --
> Chris Meadows aka * * * * | WWW:http://www.terrania.us* * *| Somebody
> Robotech_Master * * * * * | ICQ: 5477383 *AIM: RoboMastr * * | help, I'm
> | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
> * * * *| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 * * *| a sig file!

bookie
March 6th 07, 12:18 PM
On 6 Mar, 07:33, Robotech_Master > wrote:
> My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
> kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
> pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
> lot as her hair gets pulled.
>
> Is there any good way of doing this?
>
> Also, on an unrelated subject:http://xkcd.com/c231.html
>
> --
> Chris Meadows aka | WWW:http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
> Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
> | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
> | Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

don't use clumping litter?

Wendy
March 6th 07, 12:59 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 6 Mar, 07:33, Robotech_Master > wrote:
>> My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
>> kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
>> pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
>> lot as her hair gets pulled.
>>
>> Is there any good way of doing this?
>>
>> Also, on an unrelated subject:http://xkcd.com/c231.html
>>
>> --
>> Chris Meadows aka | WWW:http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
>> Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
>> | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
>> | Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig
>> file!
>
> don't use clumping litter?
>

Probably a good idea at this point but doesn't get the caked on litter off
the paws. As others have said, running the paw under the faucet is probably
the quickest way to soften up the litter and wash it away.

W

sheelagh
March 6th 07, 02:34 PM
On 6 Mar, 12:59, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 6 Mar, 07:33, Robotech_Master > wrote:
> >> My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
> >> kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
> >> pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
> >> lot as her hair gets pulled.
>
> >> Is there any good way of doing this?
>
> >> Also, on an unrelated subject:http://xkcd.com/c231.html
>
> >> --
> >> Chris Meadows aka | WWW:http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
> >> Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
> >> | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
> >> | Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig
> >> file!
>
> > don't use clumping litter?
>
> Probably a good idea at this point but doesn't get the caked on litter off
> the paws. As others have said, running the paw under the faucet is probably
> the quickest way to soften up the litter and wash it away.
>
> W- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

baby wipes are excellent for this purpose, I assure you!
S;o)

barb
March 6th 07, 04:37 PM
Put warm water in a paper cup and put the paw into the cup to soak it.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Lynne
March 6th 07, 05:55 PM
on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:33:39 GMT, Robotech_Master >
wrote:

> My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
> kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
> pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
> lot as her hair gets pulled.
>
> Is there any good way of doing this?

It's time to stop using clumping litter. Remove what is already on her
paws using the suggestions that have been posted, but stop using it right
away. Your senior cat will likely ingest it when she tries to clean her
paws and this can cause impaction.

--
Lynne

svu geek
March 7th 07, 05:52 AM
Lynne wrote:
> on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:33:39 GMT, Robotech_Master >
> wrote:
>
> > My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
> > kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
> > pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
> > lot as her hair gets pulled.
> >
> > Is there any good way of doing this?
>
> It's time to stop using clumping litter. Remove what is already on her
> paws using the suggestions that have been posted, but stop using it right
> away. Your senior cat will likely ingest it when she tries to clean her
> paws and this can cause impaction.
>


How exactly does impaction happen and what would happen to the cat? I
ask because one of my cat's also gets clumping litter stuck to her
paws. I never even thought about her ingesting it. If you could give
me some information on this I'd really appreciate it.

Lynne
March 7th 07, 04:05 PM
on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 05:52:30 GMT, "svu geek" > wrote:

> How exactly does impaction happen and what would happen to the cat? I
> ask because one of my cat's also gets clumping litter stuck to her
> paws. I never even thought about her ingesting it. If you could give
> me some information on this I'd really appreciate it.

When stuff gets stuck in a cats intestinal tract, it can lead to impaction
or blockage. If this happens, it is a medical emergency, often requiring
surgery. Symptoms/signs can include vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite,
fever and/or lack of bowel movements.

Clumping litter is not recommended for kittens because they will often eat
it, with tragic results. If a senior (or any cat) is ingesting it for any
reason, it's safest to just stop using it.

--
Lynne