PDA

View Full Version : We home!

Barry
March 7th 07, 09:26 PM
Jupiter is fine, I just walked in the door, she's in there eating.

They gave her a tattoo; I've never heard this mentioned on here.

I have list of 6 vets in my area that will give her a free post exam
in a couple of weeks, Ill try get her booster in the same visit.

She shed a little hair, I guess all the nervous stuff, they trimmed
her claws too.

Barry

cindys
March 7th 07, 11:23 PM
"Barry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Jupiter is fine, I just walked in the door, she's in there eating.
>
> They gave her a tattoo; I've never heard this mentioned on here.

A tattoo?? Huh?? Does it say "I love my Harley" or something like that?

> I have list of 6 vets in my area that will give her a free post exam

How about the vet who did the surgery? Doesn't the vet who did the surgery
want to do the follow-up? Isn't the follow-up included in the cost of the
surgery? Again, I've never heard of such a thing as a surgeon who charges an
additional fee for suture removal/post-op exam.

> in a couple of weeks, Ill try get her booster in the same visit.
>
> She shed a little hair, I guess all the nervous stuff, they trimmed
> her claws too.

Glad she's home and doing well.
Best regards,
---Cindy S

Barry
March 7th 07, 11:54 PM
On Mar 7, 6:23 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Jupiter is fine, I just walked in the door, she's in there eating.
>
> > They gave her a tattoo; I've never heard this mentioned on here.
>
> A tattoo?? Huh?? Does it say "I love my Harley" or something like that?

lol.. naaahh.. They told me it was so they would know she's been
spayed.

> > I have list of 6 vets in my area that will give her a free post exam
>
> How about the vet who did the surgery? Doesn't the vet who did the surgery
> want to do the follow-up? Isn't the follow-up included in the cost of the
> surgery? Again, I've never heard of such a thing as a surgeon who charges an
> additional fee for suture removal/post-op exam.

Exactly, but they are not a regular vet clinic, all they do is low
cost spay/neuters.
Any vet on the list they gave me will do the follow up for free, so it
was in the price.

I am glad it was affordable, I can see where a vet might want 200 bux
to do the same.
I think 200 dollars is reasonable.

They told me the stitches were internal and won't need to be removed.

Jupiter is gray underneath her black hair... they shaved her belly all
over, and pretty far up her chest too...

Did I mention, or did you know, she was about 2 weeks pregnant? yeah.
For this reason, they told me.. give her about 14 days before I let
her near any males.

I guess she can still be attractive to a male?
I thought she would not have any more cycles...

I don't let either of my cats outside... they have both gotten by me a
few times.
She won't get out.

She is sleeping by the wood stove now. Thanks for asking

> ---Cindy S

Have we had this conversation before?
I must be real tired, Im having massive dejavu right now.
I even remember telling I was having dejavu.

Barry

cybercat
March 8th 07, 12:16 AM
> They told me the stitches were internal and won't need to be removed.

Makes sense, as the service they provide is to people who probably won't do
follow-up vet visits. There are stitches that dissolve in time, I think.

Awwww.

> Did I mention, or did you know, she was about 2 weeks pregnant? yeah.
> For this reason, they told me.. give her about 14 days before I let
> her near any males.
>
> I guess she can still be attractive to a male?
> I thought she would not have any more cycles...

She won't but she probably stills smells like heat. he endocrine system will
have to catch up with the spay.

> I don't let either of my cats outside... they have both gotten by me a
> few times.
> She won't get out.

Given how fast and strong she is, I might take the extra precaution of
closing her in another room when you know you are going to, say, be bringing
things in and out, or will have the door open for any length of time.

I'm so glad you got her spayed, and I know you are too. Good job taking care
of your girlycat.

Barry
March 8th 07, 12:35 AM
On Mar 7, 7:16 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > They told me the stitches were internal and won't need to be removed.
>
> Makes sense, as the service they provide is to people who probably won't do
> follow-up vet visits. There are stitches that dissolve in time, I think.

I think it has more to do with keeping all the vunerable skin inside,
makes sense to me. (Far less chance of infection)

I haven't looked at it yet, I don't want to handle her.

THANK HEAVENS I DON'T HAVE A HOUSE FULL OF REBELLIOUS LOUD
INSUBORDINATE DRAPE APES... I'd have to kill'em

Matthew
March 8th 07, 12:44 AM
Barry when we brought home Ka'Shay I swear she was dead. Nothing but
touching her would get her to even move or look at us. The next day she
was bouncing till she ran out of energy and fell asleep wanting to be held
and loved on. Than after her nap bounce some more.
Just be careful when you pick her up. If you hurt her she will let you
know and we can come visit you in the hospital

"Barry" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 7, 7:16 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> > They told me the stitches were internal and won't need to be removed.
>>
>> Makes sense, as the service they provide is to people who probably won't
>> do
>> follow-up vet visits. There are stitches that dissolve in time, I think.
>
> I think it has more to do with keeping all the vunerable skin inside,
> makes sense to me. (Far less chance of infection)
>
> I haven't looked at it yet, I don't want to handle her.
>
> THANK HEAVENS I DON'T HAVE A HOUSE FULL OF REBELLIOUS LOUD
> INSUBORDINATE DRAPE APES... I'd have to kill'em

cybercat
March 8th 07, 12:44 AM
"Barry" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 7, 7:16 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> > They told me the stitches were internal and won't need to be removed.
>>
>> Makes sense, as the service they provide is to people who probably won't
>> do
>> follow-up vet visits. There are stitches that dissolve in time, I think.
>
> I think it has more to do with keeping all the vunerable skin inside,
> makes sense to me. (Far less chance of infection)
>
> I haven't looked at it yet, I don't want to handle her.

Does she look noticably smaller in her belly? My cat did.

bookie
March 8th 07, 12:44 AM
On 7 Mar, 21:26, "Barry" > wrote:
> Jupiter is fine, I just walked in the door, she's in there eating.
>
> They gave her a tattoo; I've never heard this mentioned on here.
>
> I have list of 6 vets in my area that will give her a free post exam
> in a couple of weeks, Ill try get her booster in the same visit.
>
> She shed a little hair, I guess all the nervous stuff, they trimmed
> her claws too.
>
> Barry

thank god for that, can we have some photos too? what have they
tattooed on her?

dont; understand why you need to take her to a different vet for post-
op exam though, what is wrong with the guy who did it?

cybercat
March 8th 07, 01:04 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 7 Mar, 21:26, "Barry" > wrote:
>> Jupiter is fine, I just walked in the door, she's in there eating.
>>
>> They gave her a tattoo; I've never heard this mentioned on here.
>>
>> I have list of 6 vets in my area that will give her a free post exam
>> in a couple of weeks, Ill try get her booster in the same visit.
>>
>> She shed a little hair, I guess all the nervous stuff, they trimmed
>> her claws too.
>>
>> Barry
>
> thank god for that, can we have some photos too? what have they
> tattooed on her?
>
> dont; understand why you need to take her to a different vet for post-
> op exam though, what is wrong with the guy who did it?

He explained that, right? Did you read all the posts? It is a special
low-cost spay program.

Barry
March 8th 07, 01:25 AM
On Mar 7, 7:44 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Does she look noticably smaller in her belly? My cat did.

That was the first thing I noticed.

To Matthew, sounds like they might have given her a little too much
pain med or sedative.

Barry

Barry
March 8th 07, 01:28 AM
On Mar 7, 7:44 pm, "bookie" > wrote:

> thank god for that, can we have some photos too? what have they
> tattooed on her?

> dont; understand why you need to take her to a different vet for post-
> op exam though, what is wrong with the guy who did it?

http://www.endpetoverpopulation.org/

This is the actual facility I took her to.
This is the woman who actually handed me Jupiter today.. it's trooo

Barry
March 8th 07, 01:30 AM
On Mar 7, 8:04 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> He explained that, right? Did you read all the posts? It is a special
> low-cost spay program.

The tattoo says.. barry's pussy

cybercat
March 8th 07, 01:32 AM
"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 7, 8:04 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> He explained that, right? Did you read all the posts? It is a special
>> low-cost spay program.
>
> The tattoo says.. barry's pussy

hahaha

Wendy
March 8th 07, 11:06 AM
"Barry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Jupiter is fine, I just walked in the door, she's in there eating.
>
> They gave her a tattoo; I've never heard this mentioned on here.
>
> I have list of 6 vets in my area that will give her a free post exam
> in a couple of weeks, Ill try get her booster in the same visit.
>
> She shed a little hair, I guess all the nervous stuff, they trimmed
> her claws too.
>
> Barry

What did they tattoo on her? Is it something that could be used to find her
home if she got out and got lost or just something that indicates she's been
spayed? There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who are
being returned) and are tattooing instead.

Barry
March 8th 07, 11:52 AM
On Mar 8, 6:06 am, "Wendy" > wrote:

> What did they tattoo on her? Is it something that could be used to find her
> home if she got out and got lost or just something that indicates she's been
> spayed? There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who are
> being returned) and are tattooing instead.

I haven't seen it yet, the vet told me, you will see a small green bar
at the top of her spay incision... "this lets us know she's been
spayed"...

I still haven't picked her up. She's curled up sleeping. Im sure
she'll have some food by 1 or 2 today (at the latest) I've got her
fav. food waiting.

Barry

sheelagh
March 8th 07, 01:27 PM

> How about the vet who did the surgery? Doesn't the vet who did the surgery
> want to do the follow-up? Isn't the follow-up included in the cost of the
> surgery? Again, I've never heard of such a thing as a surgeon who charges an
> additional fee for suture removal/post-op exam.
>

> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S
Oh, believe me, you have to pay extra over here...
I am usually charged around $36 for every post op check.
I think that is really cheecky, but what can you do?
You can't say no, can you?
S;o)
Nice one Barry!!

cindys
March 8th 07, 01:38 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> How about the vet who did the surgery? Doesn't the vet who did the
>> surgery
>> want to do the follow-up? Isn't the follow-up included in the cost of the
>> surgery? Again, I've never heard of such a thing as a surgeon who charges
>> an
>> additional fee for suture removal/post-op exam.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S
> Oh, believe me, you have to pay extra over here...
> I am usually charged around $36 for every post op check.
> I think that is really cheecky, but what can you do?
> You can't say no, can you?
--------
I suspect that we probably just pay more for the surgery upfront. Nothing in
life is really ever "free."
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
March 8th 07, 01:47 PM

> Exactly, but they are not a regular vet clinic, all they do is low
> cost spay/neuters.
> Any vet on the list they gave me will do the follow up for free, so it
> was in the price.
>
> I am glad it was affordable, I can see where a vet might want 200 bux
> to do the same.
> I think 200 dollars is reasonable.

Say What...??!!

Donk!
<jaw hit the floor!!>

I can't but believe it ( but do)...
I'm frankly shocked.
It costs me around $68 for a spay , but then again, they also charge
us a further $35ish dollars to see them post op too
But only $30 for people on benefit (welfare) for the spay...

> They told me the stitches were internal and won't need to be removed.

sounds good. We had to take Lilly to have hers removed, but then again
it was a pyometra op.
But non of the others have ever been done internally either. I wish
that they would though

> Jupiter is gray underneath her black hair... they shaved her belly all
> over, and pretty far up her chest too...

Same with Lilly too,.
You have no idea how ridiculous she looked afterwards cuz she is a
Birman.
In fact we started calling her Sylvester, like Sylvester & Tweety pie,
lol

> Did I mention, or did you know, she was about 2 weeks pregnant? yeah.
> For this reason, they told me.. give her about 14 days before I let
> her near any males.

I think that you did mention something about it.
I am so glad that you got it sorted out though...
I also found that all of the boys wanted to be Lilly's best friend
when she came home too.
I was too worride to pick her up except for under the bum, & just
under her fore legs

Is there a reason for this, considering that she had no uterus left..?
I separated her all the same though. the last thing that she needed
was A big hairy chap telling her beautiful she looked....
( she already knew that one!)
Males,(tut, tut!!)

dgk
March 8th 07, 02:23 PM
On 8 Mar 2007 05:47:39 -0800, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

>> Exactly, but they are not a regular vet clinic, all they do is low
>> cost spay/neuters.
>> Any vet on the list they gave me will do the follow up for free, so it
>> was in the price.
>>
>> I am glad it was affordable, I can see where a vet might want 200 bux
>> to do the same.
>> I think 200 dollars is reasonable.
>
>Say What...??!!
>
>Donk!
><jaw hit the floor!!>
>
>I can't but believe it ( but do)...
>I'm frankly shocked.
> It costs me around $68 for a spay , but then again, they also charge
>us a further $35ish dollars to see them post op too
>But only $30 for people on benefit (welfare) for the spay...

I just had my new cat Marlo spayed. With vaccinations and HIV, FLK
tests it came to around $300 but he only charged a bit under 200. It's
cheaper to get them already fixed and tested but then it wouldn't be
my little Marlo, that cat.

Barry
March 8th 07, 02:56 PM
On Mar 8, 9:23 am, dgk > wrote:

> I just had my new cat Marlo spayed. With vaccinations and HIV, FLK
> tests it came to around $300 but he only charged a bit under 200. It's
> cheaper to get them already fixed and tested but then it wouldn't be
> my little Marlo, that cat.

When you consider what is actually being done... to include keeping it
all sterile.
That is a fine price. I was lucky to find a low cost program. if I had
the money. I would have paid as much.

cybercat
March 8th 07, 05:35 PM
"Wendy" > wrote
> There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who are being
> returned) and are tattooing instead.

This makes me happy. Why ruin the perfect symmetry of a cat,
one of the most beautiful creatures if there is an alternative?

bookie
March 8th 07, 05:45 PM
On 8 Mar, 11:52, "Barry" > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 6:06 am, "Wendy" > wrote:
>
> > What did they tattoo on her? Is it something that could be used to find her
> > home if she got out and got lost or just something that indicates she's been
> > spayed? There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who are
> > being returned) and are tattooing instead.

> I haven't seen it yet, the vet told me, you will see a small green bar
> at the top of her spay incision... "this lets us know she's been
> spayed"...
>
> I still haven't picked her up. She's curled up sleeping. Im sure
> she'll have some food by 1 or 2 today (at the latest) I've got her
> fav. food waiting.

you softy

cybercat
March 8th 07, 06:15 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> I just had my new cat Marlo spayed. With vaccinations and HIV, FLK
> tests it came to around $300 but he only charged a bit under 200. It's
> cheaper to get them already fixed and tested

Yes! I paid the shelter $95 total for Gracie, and she had been spayed,
tested for stuff, and had all her shots.

but then it wouldn't be
> my little Marlo, that cat.

It's nice to support shelters, but it's really nice to rescue one all by
yourself. She is such a beauty.

cybercat
March 8th 07, 06:16 PM
"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 8, 6:06 am, "Wendy" > wrote:
>
>> What did they tattoo on her? Is it something that could be used to find
>> her
>> home if she got out and got lost or just something that indicates she's
>> been
>> spayed? There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who
>> are
>> being returned) and are tattooing instead.

> I haven't seen it yet, the vet told me, you will see a small green bar
> at the top of her spay incision... "this lets us know she's been
> spayed"...
>
> I still haven't picked her up. She's curled up sleeping. Im sure
> she'll have some food by 1 or 2 today (at the latest) I've got her
> fav. food waiting.

How does she seem, Barry? Shaken, mad at you, or just glad to be home? Or a
bit of each?

Matthew
March 8th 07, 06:55 PM
I paid recently 200 for Ka' shay that was the operation the shots to help
with the anesthia and the post check up
I could have got it done for about 100 but I trust my vet

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
s.com...

>> Exactly, but they are not a regular vet clinic, all they do is low
>> cost spay/neuters.
>> Any vet on the list they gave me will do the follow up for free, so it
>> was in the price.
>>
>> I am glad it was affordable, I can see where a vet might want 200 bux
>> to do the same.
>> I think 200 dollars is reasonable.
>
> Say What...??!!
>
> Donk!
> <jaw hit the floor!!>
>
> I can't but believe it ( but do)...
> I'm frankly shocked.
> It costs me around $68 for a spay , but then again, they also charge
> us a further $35ish dollars to see them post op too
> But only $30 for people on benefit (welfare) for the spay...
>
>> They told me the stitches were internal and won't need to be removed.
>
> sounds good. We had to take Lilly to have hers removed, but then again
> it was a pyometra op.
> But non of the others have ever been done internally either. I wish
> that they would though
>
>> Jupiter is gray underneath her black hair... they shaved her belly all
>> over, and pretty far up her chest too...
>
> Same with Lilly too,.
> You have no idea how ridiculous she looked afterwards cuz she is a
> Birman.
> In fact we started calling her Sylvester, like Sylvester & Tweety pie,
> lol
>
>> Did I mention, or did you know, she was about 2 weeks pregnant? yeah.
>> For this reason, they told me.. give her about 14 days before I let
>> her near any males.
>
> I think that you did mention something about it.
> I am so glad that you got it sorted out though...
> I also found that all of the boys wanted to be Lilly's best friend
> when she came home too.
> I was too worride to pick her up except for under the bum, & just
> under her fore legs
>
> Is there a reason for this, considering that she had no uterus left..?
> I separated her all the same though. the last thing that she needed
> was A big hairy chap telling her beautiful she looked....
> ( she already knew that one!)
> Males,(tut, tut!!)

Barry
March 8th 07, 08:16 PM
On Mar 8, 1:16 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> How does she seem, Barry? Shaken, mad at you, or just glad to be home? Or a
> bit of each,.

She's not mad at me
:)

She has eaten and gone potty since this morning.

She's purrring again.

Makes me glad.

So far, she's only groomed herself. Looks like the cut would itch as
it heals.

Thanks for asking

Barry

Wendy
March 8th 07, 11:56 PM
"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 8, 6:06 am, "Wendy" > wrote:
>
>> What did they tattoo on her? Is it something that could be used to find
>> her
>> home if she got out and got lost or just something that indicates she's
>> been
>> spayed? There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who
>> are
>> being returned) and are tattooing instead.

> I haven't seen it yet, the vet told me, you will see a small green bar
> at the top of her spay incision... "this lets us know she's been
> spayed"...
>
> I still haven't picked her up. She's curled up sleeping. Im sure
> she'll have some food by 1 or 2 today (at the latest) I've got her
> fav. food waiting.
>
> Barry

Oh, OK. If she gets out and gets picked up they can tell that the scar on
her tummy is a spay scar. Good to know if you're doing TNR. There was a
female cat in the colony I've been trapping this winter who was trapped a
couple of years ago. The vet shaved her tummy and found a scar and assumed
she was already spayed so didn't do any surgery on her. They returned her to
the colony and she has proceeded to have a number of litters since. She
disappeared before I had a chance to trap her (she's been missing since
before Thanksgiving) and we are afraid she might have contracted FeLV and
died. We have been finding more leukemia positives back there since the
first of the year.

Barry
March 9th 07, 12:00 AM
On Mar 8, 6:56 pm, "Wendy" > wrote:
We have been finding more leukemia positives back there since the
> first of the year.

Dang.

Where do you "find" a colony, or patch of ferals?

Maybe I have some around here, I just haven't looked in the right
places.

Is there any such thing as a fake female scent in order to lure the
males.

There are at least 3 males that came here for Jupiter recently.

Barry

Wendy
March 9th 07, 12:06 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Wendy" > wrote
>> There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who are being
>> returned) and are tattooing instead.
>>

> This makes me happy. Why ruin the perfect symmetry of a cat,
> one of the most beautiful creatures if there is an alternative?

There is a vet at one of the spay clinics who does beautiful eat tipping. He
takes enough that if you are looking for it you can't miss it but the way he
shapes the cats ear you don't notice ..... unless you are looking for it.

March 9th 07, 12:09 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Wendy" > wrote
>>> There are some spay clinics that won't ear tip (for ferals who are being
>>> returned) and are tattooing instead.
>>>

>> This makes me happy. Why ruin the perfect symmetry of a cat,
>> one of the most beautiful creatures if there is an alternative?
>>

> There is a vet at one of the spay clinics who does beautiful eat tipping.
> He takes enough that if you are looking for it you can't miss it but the
> way he shapes the cats ear you don't notice ..... unless you are looking
> for it.

See, others feel the same way I do. We had a discussion about this a while
back, and I was the lone dissenter.

Lynne
March 9th 07, 12:20 AM
on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:56:37 GMT, "Wendy" > wrote:

> Oh, OK. If she gets out and gets picked up they can tell that the scar
> on her tummy is a spay scar. Good to know if you're doing TNR.

I prefer ear tipping, because it's easier to see immediately if a cat has
been speutered. That said, around here vets tattoo a green X on the tummy.
They are pretty large and, for short haired cats, they don't need to be
shaved to see it, so it's pretty effective.

> There
> was a female cat in the colony I've been trapping this winter who was
> trapped a couple of years ago. The vet shaved her tummy and found a
> scar and assumed she was already spayed so didn't do any surgery on
> her. They returned her to the colony and she has proceeded to have a
> number of litters since. She disappeared before I had a chance to
> trap her (she's been missing since before Thanksgiving) and we are
> afraid she might have contracted FeLV and died. We have been finding
> more leukemia positives back there since the first of the year.

Oh, man, that's unfortunate.

--
Lynne

bookie
March 9th 07, 12:45 AM
On 9 Mar, 00:09, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> >> "Wendy" > wrote
>
> >> This makes me happy. Why ruin the perfect symmetry of a cat,
> >> one of the most beautiful creatures if there is an alternative?
>
> > There is a vet at one of the spay clinics who does beautiful eat tipping.
> > He takes enough that if you are looking for it you can't miss it but the
> > way he shapes the cats ear you don't notice ..... unless you are looking
> > for it.
>
> See, others feel the same way I do. We had a discussion about this a while
> back, and I was the lone dissenter.- Hide quoted text -

i don't think the vets inthe UK do anything, at least I don't think
so. When i took the new dark tortie i picked up to the vets the other
day and asked if she had been spayed the vet said there was nto really
any way to tell but to assume that she had been done (she had
previously been a pet, abandoned when previous owners moved out, long
story, most cats in UK tend get spayed as a matter of course i think).

what exactly is 'ear tipping'? something like a tattoo would be good
to know if a cat was spayed, dont' know why they don't do it here.

btw the tortie cat has discovered the big green corduroy bean bag
inthe front room and decided that it is her new bed, she has been
snuggled down into it most of the evening. A far cry from the cold
outside of an empty house where she had been existing for the last
month or so on he ownsome, poor sausage

bookie