PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying growth on cat's paws

wmarcello
March 11th 07, 03:23 AM
Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
his 1-year checkup?

Pictures can be seen here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

mlbriggs
March 11th 07, 04:55 AM
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:23:35 -0800, wmarcello wrote:

> tp://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

That is weird alright. It does look like misplaced claws.We shall be
interested in hearing what you find out. Best wishes. MLB

wmarcello
March 11th 07, 05:29 AM
On Mar 11, 12:55 am, mlbriggs > wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:23:35 -0800, wmarcello wrote:
> > tp://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I
>
> That is weird alright. It does look like misplaced claws.We shall be
> interested in hearing what you find out. Best wishes. MLB

They look like claws, but they don't retract. They feel more like
calloused or dead skin. He doesn't like us touching his feet, but he
still runs around and plays with his sister as if nothing is wrong.
I'll make sure to post what we find out.

Giganews
March 11th 07, 05:36 AM
"wmarcello" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
> have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
> causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
> vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
> and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
> another. Can anybody here identify it?

Not me.

> Should we take him to the vet
> right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
> his 1-year checkup?

It's totally your call. No one in a ng is in a position to really help you.

When it comes to me ,my cat and problems, I seek the opinion of my vet.

Best wishes to your cat!

> Pictures can be seen here:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

Lynne
March 11th 07, 03:02 PM
on Sun, 11 Mar 2007 03:23:35 GMT, "wmarcello" > wrote:

> Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
> have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
> causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
> vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
> and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
> another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
> right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
> his 1-year checkup?
>
> Pictures can be seen here:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

No idea what that is. Why not move his annual exam up a few weeks?
Personally, I'd be taking my cat into the vet right away.

--
Lynne

Grawun
March 11th 07, 07:52 PM
On Mar 11, 1:23 am, "wmarcello" > wrote:
> Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
> have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
> causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
> vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
> and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
> another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
> right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
> his 1-year checkup?
>
> Pictures can be seen here:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

My cat has those things on her toes also. I had never seen them on
another cat. They appear to be callusy growths . I hope you will let
us know what the vet says. I have never asked about it.

wmarcello
March 11th 07, 08:23 PM
On Mar 11, 12:23 am, "wmarcello" > wrote:

> Can anybody here identify it?
>
> Pictures can be seen here:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

I got an email reply earlier today that I will post for the sake of
sharing.
I'm glad it's nothing very serious, although the risk
of infection should be taken into account. I'll contact my vet
sometime this week, and if nothing else I'll ask for advice before his
yearly checkup.

"Hi,

Here is a site with some info: http://www.messybeast.com/horned-paws.htm
..
One of my kitties has these and as per my vet, they are simple
"keratinous
growths" (keratin is a protein and one of the primary building blocks
of
nails, skin, and horny tissue). I clip the tip of my cat's nails
regularly,
so it's easy to be keep an eye on these and make sure they don't get
too
long. These little "protrusions" are softer than the regular nails and
when
they get long enough to gently pull up from the pads, I clip the tips
shorten them. Otherwise, when they are short and very near the pad and
cannot "lift" them from the pad to clip them, I leave them alone as I
never
want to risk nicking the pad.

>From your photos (excellent idea to post them), some of Tux's growths
do
look fairly long and I assume that he may have snagged one of them and
ripped a bit of the pad. Make sure the cut doesn't get infected. I
would
clip the tips if you are comfortable doing that. If you are at all
apprehensive, let your vet do it and show you how. Unless they are
bothering
Tux in any way or long enough to "click" on the floor or growing into
the
pads or you see more cuts or infection, I would wait until your next
vet
visit.

Hope this helps."

zinzee
March 12th 07, 05:20 AM
Very good information to have! I would definitely take the e-mailer's
advice and have the vet show you how to clip them before you do it for the
first time. The more you touch your boy's feet, the more comfortable he
will be.

My kitty had runny eye due to herpes. The vet asked that I put ointment in
his eye twice a day to keep any secondary infection from arising. The
process was to put the ointment in and blink his eye a few times. He
totally trusts me but I know I wouldn't be comfortable with someone doing
that to me. I gave him a Greenie treat (his favorite) after each time I did
it. Soon, rather than running off of my lap he stayed and waited for his
treat.

I think it would be a good idea to make an appointment with your vet within
the next week. It won't hurt to have his yearly check up a few weeks early,
if for nothing more than peace of mind.

Oh, and kudos for taking the kitties to their yearly exam, anyhow! Too many
people only take their animals when there's something wrong, if even that!
Good luck and keep us posted.

All the best,
Heather

"wmarcello" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 11, 12:23 am, "wmarcello" > wrote:
>
>> Can anybody here identify it?
>>
>> Pictures can be seen here:
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I
>
> I got an email reply earlier today that I will post for the sake of
> sharing.
> I'm glad it's nothing very serious, although the risk
> of infection should be taken into account. I'll contact my vet
> sometime this week, and if nothing else I'll ask for advice before his
> yearly checkup.
>

> "Hi,
>
> Here is a site with some info: http://www.messybeast.com/horned-paws.htm
> .
> One of my kitties has these and as per my vet, they are simple
> "keratinous
> growths" (keratin is a protein and one of the primary building blocks
> of
> nails, skin, and horny tissue). I clip the tip of my cat's nails
> regularly,
> so it's easy to be keep an eye on these and make sure they don't get
> too
> long. These little "protrusions" are softer than the regular nails and
> when
> they get long enough to gently pull up from the pads, I clip the tips
> shorten them. Otherwise, when they are short and very near the pad and
> cannot "lift" them from the pad to clip them, I leave them alone as I
> never
> want to risk nicking the pad.
>
>>From your photos (excellent idea to post them), some of Tux's growths
> do
> look fairly long and I assume that he may have snagged one of them and
> ripped a bit of the pad. Make sure the cut doesn't get infected. I
> would
> clip the tips if you are comfortable doing that. If you are at all
> apprehensive, let your vet do it and show you how. Unless they are
> bothering
> Tux in any way or long enough to "click" on the floor or growing into
> the
> pads or you see more cuts or infection, I would wait until your next
> vet
> visit.
>
> Hope this helps."

-L.
March 12th 07, 06:18 AM
wmarcello wrote:
> Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
> have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
> causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
> vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
> and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
> another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
> right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
> his 1-year checkup?
>
> Pictures can be seen here:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

They are just little skin growths much like a callous or wart. They
can be safely snipped off with a pair of claw clippers.

-L.