PDA

View Full Version : Re: Declawing is better for some cats. Re: Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!!

William Graham
March 12th 07, 06:34 AM
It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that we
are here in the US:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.html?in_article_id=301419&in_page_id=1798&in_page_id=1798&expand=true

bookie
March 12th 07, 04:52 PM
On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
> It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that we
> are here in the US:
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.htm...

ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail

James
March 12th 07, 05:38 PM
On Mar 12, 10:52 am, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
>
> > It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that we
> > are here in the US:
>
> >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.htm...
>
> ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
> daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
> mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
> guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
> through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
> is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
> rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail

My impression on fat is it depends on what part of the US you visit.
Some places everyone seems to be blubberbutts while other places
people are pretty normal. For a long time I thought cartoons of fat
people were just cartoons. Then I saw people that actually shaped
like cartoon fat people.

bookie
March 12th 07, 06:39 PM
On 12 Mar, 16:38, "James" > wrote:
> On Mar 12, 10:52 am, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
>
> > > It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that we
> > > are here in the US:
>
> > >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.htm...
>
> > ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
> > daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
> > mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
> > guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
> > through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
> > is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
> > rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>
> My impression on fat is it depends on what part of the US you visit.
> Some places everyone seems to be blubberbutts while other places
> people are pretty normal. For a long time I thought cartoons of fat
> people were just cartoons. Then I saw people that actually shaped
> like cartoon fat people.

so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire
and the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the
north west most of all,

Alison[_2_]
March 12th 07, 07:26 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire
> and the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the
> north west most of all,>>>

Where is here and where do you get your facts from?
Alison

bookie
March 12th 07, 08:42 PM
On 12 Mar, 18:26, "Alison" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire
> > and the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the
> > north west most of all,>>>
>
> Where is here and where do you get your facts from?
> Alison

there was actually a survey done by the nhs and they found that the
areas with the unhealthiest lifestyles and highest rates of heart
disease and high cholesterol were inthe north and north west,
unsurprisingly, if i find the link i will post it.
and no i am not in london.

havign lived in staffordshire (near stoke on trent in fact) for a
while I was not surprised by the findings myself.

why? where are you from?

cybercat
March 12th 07, 09:09 PM
"Alison" > wrote in message

> "bookie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>

>> so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire
>> and the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the
>> north west most of all,>>>
>
> Where is here and where do you get your facts from?
> Alison

She is in London, and is obviously generalizing. Back for what, two days,
and already being a pill?

Charlie Wilkes
March 12th 07, 09:41 PM
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:52:47 -0700, bookie wrote:

> On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
>> It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that
>> we are here in the US:
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/
dietfitness.htm...

> ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
> daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily mail
> is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the guardian or
> the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes through the
> pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper is not even
> good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would rather read the
> Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail

Ok, then, here's something from the Guardian, complete with a lovely pin-
up shot:
http://society.guardian.co.uk/children/story/0,,2021463,00.html

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
March 12th 07, 09:51 PM
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:39:27 -0700, bookie wrote:

> On 12 Mar, 16:38, "James" > wrote:

>> > ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
>> > daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
>> > mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
>> > guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
>> > through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
>> > is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
>> > rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>>
>> My impression on fat is it depends on what part of the US you visit.
>> Some places everyone seems to be blubberbutts while other places people
>> are pretty normal. For a long time I thought cartoons of fat people
>> were just cartoons. Then I saw people that actually shaped like
>> cartoon fat people.
>
> so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire and
> the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the north
> west most of all,

In the U.S. the trend is more socio-economic than regional... the
preponderance of fatsos are the poor and working class. If you want to
scope the tubbies, go to WalMart, McDonalds, or any place where food is
cheap and calorific.

I would also say that rural/suburban people tend to be fatter than urban
residents.

Charlie

Barry
March 12th 07, 09:57 PM
On Mar 12, 3:41 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:52:47 -0700, bookie wrote:
> > On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
> >> It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that
> >> we are here in the US:
>
> >>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/
> dietfitness.htm...
>
> > ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
> > daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily mail
> > is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the guardian or
> > the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes through the
> > pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper is not even
> > good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would rather read the
> > Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>
> Ok, then, here's something from the Guardian, complete with a lovely pin-
> up shot:http://society.guardian.co.uk/children/story/0,,2021463,00.html
>
> Charlie

http://tinyurl.com/2sbln3

bookie
March 13th 07, 12:41 AM
On 12 Mar, 20:41, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:52:47 -0700, bookie wrote:
> > On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
> >> It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that
> >> we are here in the US:
>
> >>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/
> dietfitness.htm...
>
> > ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
> > daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily mail
> > is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the guardian or
> > the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes through the
> > pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper is not even
> > good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would rather read the
> > Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>
> Ok, then, here's something from the Guardian, complete with a lovely pin-
> up shot:http://society.guardian.co.uk/children/story/0,,2021463,00.html
>
> Charlie

thing is he is probably seen as a real slim jim in the states, there
are probably loads of fat people in the mid west begging their doctors
for surgery to get their jaws wired just so that one day they may
actually get down to that boys size and shape.

the only reason that kid made the news is because he is a one off
inthis country, you dont; get stories like that making the papers in
the states because such instances must be so common.

and where is he from exactly? oh yes, the north, typical fat *******
pie-eating geordie fatso, how amusing

bookie
March 13th 07, 12:46 AM
On 12 Mar, 20:51, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:39:27 -0700, bookie wrote:

> dietfitness.htm...

> >> My impression on fat is it depends on what part of the US you visit.
> >> Some places everyone seems to be blubberbutts while other places people
> >> are pretty normal. For a long time I thought cartoons of fat people
> >> were just cartoons. Then I saw people that actually shaped like
> >> cartoon fat people.
>
> > so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire and
> > the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the north
> > west most of all,
>
> In the U.S. the trend is more socio-economic than regional... the
> preponderance of fatsos are the poor and working class. If you want to
> scope the tubbies, go to WalMart, McDonalds, or any place where food is
> cheap and calorific.
>
> I would also say that rural/suburban people tend to be fatter than urban
> residents.
>
> Charlie- Hide quoted text -

i think the fattest person i ever saw in my life was someone in a
dairy queen in miami, i was scared they might fall on me, or eat me
possibly.

I also read a report about a partuicularly tubby tribe of american
indians, somewhere new arizona or nevada (not sure where now, may have
been new mexico) but they seemed to live off 'fried dough' or
doughnuts cos that was the cheapest form of energy they could get and
was all their benefit cheque could stretch to. They were immense, and
it was partly a genetic predisposition to laying done lost of fat for
survival purposes i guess, their bodies were just so efficient at
storing up any calories they took in for future use in case of 'lean
periods'

William Graham
March 13th 07, 12:54 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
>> It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that we
>> are here in the US:
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.htm...
>
> ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
> daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
> mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
> guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
> through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
> is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
> rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail

I don't know anything about the "Daily Mail". but all you have to do is
google "BMI by country" or some such thing and you will find many web sites
that address the problem of obesity in both GB and the US as well as many
other countries.....Rest assured, it is not a problem peculiar to the
US.....

Why are you so hung up on this subject? - Are you having a personal problem
with body fat? If so, there are any number of places where you can get help.
If I were younger as you apparently are, I would join a health club where I
could swim and use their workout equipment.........

William Graham
March 13th 07, 01:06 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:39:27 -0700, bookie wrote:

> dietfitness.htm...

>>> My impression on fat is it depends on what part of the US you visit.
>>> Some places everyone seems to be blubberbutts while other places people
>>> are pretty normal. For a long time I thought cartoons of fat people
>>> were just cartoons. Then I saw people that actually shaped like
>>> cartoon fat people.
>>
>> so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire and
>> the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the north
>> west most of all,
>
> In the U.S. the trend is more socio-economic than regional... the
> preponderance of fatsos are the poor and working class. If you want to
> scope the tubbies, go to WalMart, McDonalds, or any place where food is
> cheap and calorific.
>
> I would also say that rural/suburban people tend to be fatter than urban
> residents.
>
> Charlie

The obesity problem is apparently world wide, and is partly due to the
preponderance of fast food, coupled with activities that require little or
no physical activity, such as computing, watching TV, and listening to
I-pods and the like....As the emerging countries improve their economic
status, they become prone to all these activities.
It is a problem that was addressed many years ago, actually. I can
remember back in the 60's that science fiction writers and others (who liked
to speculate on the future) predicted that the "man of tomorrow" would
become a lump of fat, with tiny legs and arms, who did nothing but press
buttons and let machinery perform all his necessary functions.......Of
course, they were talking about a future thousands of years from now, but
the fact is, that a little bit of it is already coming true only 40 years
later.......

Cheryl
March 13th 07, 02:48 AM
On Mon 12 Mar 2007 08:06:00p, William Graham wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> The obesity problem is apparently world wide, and is partly due
> to the preponderance of fast food, coupled with activities that
> require little or no physical activity, such as computing,
> watching TV, and listening to I-pods and the like....As the
> emerging countries improve their economic status, they become
> prone to all these activities.
> It is a problem that was addressed many years ago, actually.
> I can
> remember back in the 60's that science fiction writers and
> others (who liked to speculate on the future) predicted that the
> "man of tomorrow" would become a lump of fat, with tiny legs and
> arms, who did nothing but press buttons and let machinery
> perform all his necessary functions.......Of course, they were
> talking about a future thousands of years from now, but the fact
> is, that a little bit of it is already coming true only 40 years
> later.......

The scary part is the problem affecting more and more kids. Many
kids are now facing "double diabetes" - juvenile diabetes coupled
with diabetes brought on by obesity, usually called "adult onset
diabetes" because they have the same problems adults have when they
get old and fat. I don't know what can fix this. It isn't as safe
to go out and play these days, not like when my generation was
younger. When I was young, we had mom at home and the neighborhood
was safe. We played outside all day every day when not in school.
These days kids are in front of the computer or the Playstation or
the TV. It isn't their fault. Schools are trying to "up" the
physical activity, but how to get more of that without sacrificing
the amount of learning?

--
Cheryl

William Graham
March 13th 07, 03:13 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 12 Mar 2007 08:06:00p, William Graham wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> The obesity problem is apparently world wide, and is partly due
>> to the preponderance of fast food, coupled with activities that
>> require little or no physical activity, such as computing,
>> watching TV, and listening to I-pods and the like....As the
>> emerging countries improve their economic status, they become
>> prone to all these activities.
>> It is a problem that was addressed many years ago, actually.
>> I can
>> remember back in the 60's that science fiction writers and
>> others (who liked to speculate on the future) predicted that the
>> "man of tomorrow" would become a lump of fat, with tiny legs and
>> arms, who did nothing but press buttons and let machinery
>> perform all his necessary functions.......Of course, they were
>> talking about a future thousands of years from now, but the fact
>> is, that a little bit of it is already coming true only 40 years
>> later.......
>>

> The scary part is the problem affecting more and more kids. Many
> kids are now facing "double diabetes" - juvenile diabetes coupled
> with diabetes brought on by obesity, usually called "adult onset
> diabetes" because they have the same problems adults have when they
> get old and fat. I don't know what can fix this. It isn't as safe
> to go out and play these days, not like when my generation was
> younger. When I was young, we had mom at home and the neighborhood
> was safe. We played outside all day every day when not in school.
> These days kids are in front of the computer or the Playstation or
> the TV. It isn't their fault. Schools are trying to "up" the
> physical activity, but how to get more of that without sacrificing
> the amount of learning?
>
> --
> Cheryl

That's right. When I was a kid back in the 40's, we had no TV, and I stayed
outside playing until near 10 PM every night....My mom didn't worry about me
because missing/kidnapped kids were almost unheard of in those days. There
were no fat kids in my school. If you couldn't run your fanny off, you would
probably get beaten up by the bigger kids......It's a totally different
world today.

Sherry
March 13th 07, 04:56 AM
On Mar 12, 6:54?pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
> Why are you so hung up on this subject? - Are you having a personal problem
> with body fat? If so, there are any number of places where you can get help.
> If I were younger as you apparently are, I would join a health club where I
> could swim and use their workout equipment.........
\

LOL! My thoughts exactly. I"ve never seen anyone spend so much time
targeting their specific object of disdain. The shabby superiority
complex is alive and well, I guess. To each his own, I suppose.
I never think about the shortcomings of the people of other countries.
I've got better things to think about.

Sherry

Alison[_2_]
March 13th 07, 08:11 AM
From down south . I thought it was the Glaswegians who were the most
overweight?
--
Alison

"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 12 Mar, 18:26, "Alison" > wrote:
>> "bookie" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

> there was actually a survey done by the nhs and they found that the
> areas with the unhealthiest lifestyles and highest rates of heart
> disease and high cholesterol were inthe north and north west,
> unsurprisingly, if i find the link i will post it.
> and no i am not in london.
>
> havign lived in staffordshire (near stoke on trent in fact) for a
> while I was not surprised by the findings myself.
>
> why? where are you from?

Alison[_2_]
March 13th 07, 08:12 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> She is in London, and is obviously generalizing. Back for what, two days,
> and already being a pill? >>>

What?

Alison

Alison[_2_]
March 13th 07, 08:40 AM
"Alison" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>

>> She is in London, and is obviously generalizing. Back for what, two
>> days, and already being a pill? >>>
>
> What?
>
> Alison>>

Don't bother to answer this. Whatever being a pill is, it can't be worse
than being a Guardian reader.

bookie
March 13th 07, 01:30 PM
On 12 Mar, 23:54, "William Graham" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> On 12 Mar, 05:34, "William Graham" > wrote:
> >> It seems that the Brits are having the same couch potato problems that we
> >> are here in the US:
>
> >>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.htm...
>
> > ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
> > daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
> > mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
> > guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
> > through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
> > is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
> > rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>
> I don't know anything about the "Daily Mail". but all you have to do is
> google "BMI by country" or some such thing and you will find many web sites
> that address the problem of obesity in both GB and the US as well as many
> other countries.....Rest assured, it is not a problem peculiar to the
> US.....
>
> Why are you so hung up on this subject? - Are you having a personal problem
> with body fat? If so, there are any number of places where you can get help.
> If I were younger as you apparently are, I would join a health club where I
> could swim and use their workout equipment.........

believe me, I have the opposite problem right now, but it has to be
said I do find fat people rather offensive to the eye and a massive
drain onthe NHS. An MP not so long ago suggested putting extra taxes
on 'fatty' foods, mcdonalds etc in order to help pay for thr NHS
services that fat *******s use so much of, kind of inthe same way that
cigarettes are taxed in order to prop up our health service. don't
think it went through unfortunately, damn good idea though.

bookie

Fred G. Mackey
March 13th 07, 03:14 PM
bookie wrote:

> thing is he is probably seen as a real slim jim in the states, there
> are probably loads of fat people in the mid west begging their doctors
> for surgery to get their jaws wired just so that one day they may
> actually get down to that boys size and shape.
>
> the only reason that kid made the news is because he is a one off
> inthis country, you dont; get stories like that making the papers in
> the states because such instances must be so common.
>
> and where is he from exactly? oh yes, the north, typical fat *******
> pie-eating geordie fatso, how amusing

Thanks for being the poster child for the English bigot - ignorant and
hateful of others.

Barry
March 13th 07, 04:27 PM
bookie wrote:
> On 12 Mar, 23:54, "William Graham" > wrote:

>>> ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
>>> daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
>>> mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
>>> guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
>>> through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
>>> is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
>>> rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>> I don't know anything about the "Daily Mail". but all you have to do is
>> google "BMI by country" or some such thing and you will find many web sites
>> that address the problem of obesity in both GB and the US as well as many
>> other countries.....Rest assured, it is not a problem peculiar to the
>> US.....
>>
>> Why are you so hung up on this subject? - Are you having a personal problem
>> with body fat? If so, there are any number of places where you can get help.
>> If I were younger as you apparently are, I would join a health club where I
>> could swim and use their workout equipment.........
>
> believe me, I have the opposite problem right now, but it has to be
> said I do find fat people rather offensive to the eye and a massive
> drain onthe NHS. An MP not so long ago suggested putting extra taxes
> on 'fatty' foods, mcdonalds etc in order to help pay for thr NHS
> services that fat *******s use so much of, kind of inthe same way that
> cigarettes are taxed in order to prop up our health service. don't
> think it went through unfortunately, damn good idea though.
>
> bookie

Is it not for kings to have milk and butter and kine?
Move up to royalty and stop your whining.

tick tick tick, better hurry up, father time is no respecter of persons

you're frustration is good, use it as a stepping stone, play on it,
focus it's energy on... doing what you want to do.

Don't know yet? I bet you do, and you should listen with your heart.

For you, you should not stumble bookie, I don't mean to suggest that you
look down, but take your time and don't stumble.

Barry

cybercat
March 13th 07, 07:38 PM
"Alison" > wrote in message

> "Alison" > wrote in message
>>

>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>

>>> She is in London, and is obviously generalizing. Back for what, two
>>> days, and already being a pill? >>>
>>
>> What?
>>
>> Alison>>
>
> Don't bother to answer this. Whatever being a pill is, it can't be worse
> than being a Guardian reader.

What is a Guardian?

Charlie Wilkes
March 13th 07, 08:52 PM
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:38:06 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "Alison" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Alison" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> What?
>>>
>>> Alison>>
>>
>> Don't bother to answer this. Whatever being a pill is, it can't be
>> worse
>> than being a Guardian reader.
>>

> What is a Guardian?

She's referring to the Guardian, formerly the Manchester Guardian, at one
time an organ of left-wing politics but these days just another
newspaper. It is available on-line.

Alison why do you sneer at the Guardian?

Charlie

William Graham
March 13th 07, 09:41 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 12, 6:54?pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
>> Why are you so hung up on this subject? - Are you having a personal
>> problem
>> with body fat? If so, there are any number of places where you can get
>> help.
>> If I were younger as you apparently are, I would join a health club where
>> could swim and use their workout equipment.........
> \
>
> LOL! My thoughts exactly. I"ve never seen anyone spend so much time
> targeting their specific object of disdain. The shabby superiority
> complex is alive and well, I guess. To each his own, I suppose.
> I never think about the shortcomings of the people of other countries.
> I've got better things to think about.
>
> Sherry

Yeah....Even if we Americans are the fattest pigs on earth, what could I do
about it? - All I can be held responsible for is my own weight, and even
that is hard to control when you are 71, diabetic, and arthritic.....
The days when I could run around the block a couple of times are long
gone.........The best I can do today is limp down to the ice cream
store....:^)

William Graham
March 13th 07, 09:50 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 12 Mar, 23:54, "William Graham" > wrote:
>> "bookie" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...> On 12 Mar,

>> > ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
>> > daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
>> > mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
>> > guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
>> > through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
>> > is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
>> > rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>>
>> I don't know anything about the "Daily Mail". but all you have to do is
>> google "BMI by country" or some such thing and you will find many web
>> sites
>> that address the problem of obesity in both GB and the US as well as many
>> other countries.....Rest assured, it is not a problem peculiar to the
>> US.....
>>
>> Why are you so hung up on this subject? - Are you having a personal
>> problem
>> with body fat? If so, there are any number of places where you can get
>> help.
>> If I were younger as you apparently are, I would join a health club where
>> could swim and use their workout equipment.........
>
> believe me, I have the opposite problem right now, but it has to be
> said I do find fat people rather offensive to the eye and a massive
> drain onthe NHS. An MP not so long ago suggested putting extra taxes
> on 'fatty' foods, mcdonalds etc in order to help pay for thr NHS
> services that fat *******s use so much of, kind of inthe same way that
> cigarettes are taxed in order to prop up our health service. don't
> think it went through unfortunately, damn good idea though.
>
> bookie

A "good idea" if you are a socialist, and want the government to take
responsibility for everything, and use the taxpayer's money to do it. I
would let people take care of their own health and eat as much as they damn
well please, and/or as much as they could afford to pay for. Why should I
either pay for their health, or use that as an excuse to control their life
style?
I call these kinds of laws "padded cell laws". Here in the US, you don't
even have to be spending the taxpayers money to get those laws on the books.
Just the fact that our insurance rates go up is their excuse to control our
lives.....Pretty soon, they will make a law that puts everyone in a padded
cell for their entire lives, just so our insurance rates will stay
low.....Of course, insurance doesn't cover insanity, so it won't matter if
everyone goes bonkers.......

Barry
March 14th 07, 12:43 AM
On Mar 12, 6:46 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
their bodies were just so efficient at
> storing up any calories they took in for future use in case of 'lean
> periods'

That's what silo's are for, you're talking about mal-nourishment. They
keep eating.. their bodies grope for nourishment. Like anyone gives 2
craps.

bookie
March 14th 07, 02:09 AM
On 13 Mar, 14:14, "Fred G. Mackey" > wrote:
> bookie wrote:
> > thing is he is probably seen as a real slim jim in the states, there
> > are probably loads of fat people in the mid west begging their doctors
> > for surgery to get their jaws wired just so that one day they may
> > actually get down to that boys size and shape.
>
> > the only reason that kid made the news is because he is a one off
> > inthis country, you dont; get stories like that making the papers in
> > the states because such instances must be so common.
>
> > and where is he from exactly? oh yes, the north, typical fat *******
> > pie-eating geordie fatso, how amusing
>
> Thanks for being the poster child for the English bigot - ignorant and
> hateful of others.
i think america has the monopoly on bigotry my good man

bookie
March 14th 07, 02:12 AM
On 13 Mar, 03:56, "Sherry" > wrote:
> On Mar 12, 6:54?pm, "William Graham" > wrote:> Why are you so hung up on this subject? - Are you having a personal problem
> > with body fat? If so, there are any number of places where you can get help.
> > If I were younger as you apparently are, I would join a health club where I
> > could swim and use their workout equipment.........
>
> \
>
> LOL! My thoughts exactly. I"ve never seen anyone spend so much time
> targeting their specific object of disdain. The shabby superiority
> complex is alive and well, I guess. To each his own, I suppose.
> I never think about the shortcomings of the people of other countries.
> I've got better things to think about.
>
> Sherry
can't believe some people actually take me seriously! this is
hilarious, like i give 2 ****s over whether anyone eats themselves
into an early grave or not? as long as there is still cake left over
for me i couldn't care less

Charlie Wilkes
March 14th 07, 02:21 AM
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:50:08 -0700, William Graham wrote:

> "bookie" > wrote in message
>>
>> believe me, I have the opposite problem right now, but it has to be
>> said I do find fat people rather offensive to the eye and a massive
>> drain onthe NHS. An MP not so long ago suggested putting extra taxes on
>> 'fatty' foods, mcdonalds etc in order to help pay for thr NHS services
>> that fat *******s use so much of, kind of inthe same way that
>> cigarettes are taxed in order to prop up our health service. don't
>> think it went through unfortunately, damn good idea though.

> A "good idea" if you are a socialist, and want the government to take
> responsibility for everything, and use the taxpayer's money to do it. I
> would let people take care of their own health and eat as much as they
> damn well please, and/or as much as they could afford to pay for. Why
> should I either pay for their health, or use that as an excuse to
> control their life style?

I think you are both missing an important point. From an economic
standpoint, the gov't would do well to encourage smoking and obesity
both. Smokers and fat people tend to die in their late 50s/early 60s...
right at the end of a long working life, but before they collect any
retirement benefits or require much gov't funded medical care.

If you want to know who is costing the taxpayers a bundle, it's the
little old grannies who eat like a bird and would never dream of using
tobacco... they live to be 95-100, soaking up medical resources and
usually spending the the last 5 years in a nursing home at gov't expense
after they have run through their assets.

So next time you see a slender gray-haired old lady, throw her under a
passing bus. And next time you see a fat chain-smoking pig, give that
person a pat on the back and thank them for their contribution to a
fiscally sound republic. Or kingdom, as the case may be.

Charlie

cybercat
March 14th 07, 03:24 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:50:08 -0700, William Graham wrote:
>
>> "bookie" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> believe me, I have the opposite problem right now, but it has to be
>>> said I do find fat people rather offensive to the eye and a massive
>>> drain onthe NHS. An MP not so long ago suggested putting extra taxes on
>>> 'fatty' foods, mcdonalds etc in order to help pay for thr NHS services
>>> that fat *******s use so much of, kind of inthe same way that
>>> cigarettes are taxed in order to prop up our health service. don't
>>> think it went through unfortunately, damn good idea though.
>

>> A "good idea" if you are a socialist, and want the government to take
>> responsibility for everything, and use the taxpayer's money to do it. I
>> would let people take care of their own health and eat as much as they
>> damn well please, and/or as much as they could afford to pay for. Why
>> should I either pay for their health, or use that as an excuse to
>> control their life style?
>
> I think you are both missing an important point. From an economic
> standpoint, the gov't would do well to encourage smoking and obesity
> both. Smokers and fat people tend to die in their late 50s/early 60s...
> right at the end of a long working life, but before they collect any
> retirement benefits or require much gov't funded medical care.
>
> If you want to know who is costing the taxpayers a bundle, it's the
> little old grannies who eat like a bird and would never dream of using
> tobacco... they live to be 95-100, soaking up medical resources and
> usually spending the the last 5 years in a nursing home at gov't expense
> after they have run through their assets.
>
> So next time you see a slender gray-haired old lady, throw her under a
> passing bus. And next time you see a fat chain-smoking pig, give that
> person a pat on the back and thank them for their contribution to a
> fiscally sound republic. Or kingdom, as the case may be.

Very nice, Charlie. I could not bring myself to snip.

William Graham
March 14th 07, 04:42 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:50:08 -0700, William Graham wrote:
>
>> "bookie" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> believe me, I have the opposite problem right now, but it has to be
>>> said I do find fat people rather offensive to the eye and a massive
>>> drain onthe NHS. An MP not so long ago suggested putting extra taxes on
>>> 'fatty' foods, mcdonalds etc in order to help pay for thr NHS services
>>> that fat *******s use so much of, kind of inthe same way that
>>> cigarettes are taxed in order to prop up our health service. don't
>>> think it went through unfortunately, damn good idea though.
>

>> A "good idea" if you are a socialist, and want the government to take
>> responsibility for everything, and use the taxpayer's money to do it. I
>> would let people take care of their own health and eat as much as they
>> damn well please, and/or as much as they could afford to pay for. Why
>> should I either pay for their health, or use that as an excuse to
>> control their life style?
>
> I think you are both missing an important point. From an economic
> standpoint, the gov't would do well to encourage smoking and obesity
> both. Smokers and fat people tend to die in their late 50s/early 60s...
> right at the end of a long working life, but before they collect any
> retirement benefits or require much gov't funded medical care.
>
> If you want to know who is costing the taxpayers a bundle, it's the
> little old grannies who eat like a bird and would never dream of using
> tobacco... they live to be 95-100, soaking up medical resources and
> usually spending the the last 5 years in a nursing home at gov't expense
> after they have run through their assets.
>
> So next time you see a slender gray-haired old lady, throw her under a
> passing bus. And next time you see a fat chain-smoking pig, give that
> person a pat on the back and thank them for their contribution to a
> fiscally sound republic. Or kingdom, as the case may be.
>
> Charlie

LOL! - This is certainly true if the government is supporting them. In my
case, I saved and invested 10% of every dollar I ever earned, (in accordance
with my father's instructions) so I am fully capable of providing for
myself. (including my own health care) Unfortunately, my (ever increasing)
socialist government is busy stealing my money to give to the grasshoppers
who fiddled their whole lives while I toiled away.......My dad knew about
the Robin-Hooders, but I doubt if he could have ever envisioned how bad it
would really get......

Alison[_2_]
March 14th 07, 01:00 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message

> Alison why do you sneer at the Guardian?
>
> Charlie>>.

because they sneer at the Daily Mail readers! <G>

Alison

dgk
March 14th 07, 01:07 PM
wrote:

>On 12 Mar, 16:38, "James" > wrote:

>> > ha ha! i haven't read the article but the fact it is taken from the
>> > daily mail says it all! pretty much everything printed in the daily
>> > mail is well known to be absolute crap, find something from the
>> > guardian or the Times and i may well read but i would not put my eyes
>> > through the pain of reading anything from the daily mail, that paper
>> > is not even good enough of lining my cats litter tray with, I would
>> > rather read the Sun in prefernce to the daily Mail
>>
>> My impression on fat is it depends on what part of the US you visit.
>> Some places everyone seems to be blubberbutts while other places
>> people are pretty normal. For a long time I thought cartoons of fat
>> people were just cartoons. Then I saw people that actually shaped
>> like cartoon fat people.
>
>so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire
>and the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the
>north west most of all,

My mother's side of the family all came from Virginia. Virtually every
male was dead by the age of 50 from good old southern cooking,
smoking, and lack of any exercise. According to her, they were a
pretty large bunch.

I suspect that it is a US wide (ha) problem however. Here in NYC there
are plenty of large folks, but there are also a huge number of thin
folks running up and down the steets. Exercise here (I bike a lot)
tends to cause you to deeply inhale pretty bad air. We die of couch
potato disease or lung disease.

William Graham
March 14th 07, 06:12 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On 12 Mar 2007 10:39:27 -0700, "bookie" >
> wrote:

>>> My impression on fat is it depends on what part of the US you visit.
>>> Some places everyone seems to be blubberbutts while other places
>>> people are pretty normal. For a long time I thought cartoons of fat
>>> people were just cartoons. Then I saw people that actually shaped
>>> like cartoon fat people.
>>
>>so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire
>>and the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the
>>north west most of all,
>
> My mother's side of the family all came from Virginia. Virtually every
> male was dead by the age of 50 from good old southern cooking,
> smoking, and lack of any exercise. According to her, they were a
> pretty large bunch.
>
> I suspect that it is a US wide (ha) problem however. Here in NYC there
> are plenty of large folks, but there are also a huge number of thin
> folks running up and down the steets. Exercise here (I bike a lot)
> tends to cause you to deeply inhale pretty bad air. We die of couch
> potato disease or lung disease.

Yeah....When I was kid (the 40's) back in NYC, they said just living there
was like smoking two packs of cigs a day.....I remember that there was a
continuous fallout of soot in the air....30 minutes after my mom cleaned off
the windowsills, I could run my fingers along them and come up with a line
of black, greasy soot on them.
Since then, however, the smog controls on both automobiles and factories
have done a lot toward cleaning up the air, and it is much cleaner....(I
went back there for a visit during the early 90's)

bookie
March 14th 07, 07:19 PM
On 14 Mar, 01:21, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:50:08 -0700, William Graham wrote:
> > "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> >> believe me, I have the opposite problem right now, but it has to be
> >> said I do find fat people rather offensive to the eye and a massive
> >> drain onthe NHS. An MP not so long ago suggested putting extra taxes on
> >> 'fatty' foods, mcdonalds etc in order to help pay for thr NHS services
> >> that fat *******s use so much of, kind of inthe same way that
> >> cigarettes are taxed in order to prop up our health service. don't
> >> think it went through unfortunately, damn good idea though.
>
> > A "good idea" if you are a socialist, and want the government to take
> > responsibility for everything, and use the taxpayer's money to do it. I
> > would let people take care of their own health and eat as much as they
> > damn well please, and/or as much as they could afford to pay for. Why
> > should I either pay for their health, or use that as an excuse to
> > control their life style?
>
> I think you are both missing an important point. From an economic
> standpoint, the gov't would do well to encourage smoking and obesity
> both. Smokers and fat people tend to die in their late 50s/early 60s...
> right at the end of a long working life, but before they collect any
> retirement benefits or require much gov't funded medical care.
>
> If you want to know who is costing the taxpayers a bundle, it's the
> little old grannies who eat like a bird and would never dream of using
> tobacco... they live to be 95-100, soaking up medical resources and
> usually spending the the last 5 years in a nursing home at gov't expense
> after they have run through their assets.
>
> So next time you see a slender gray-haired old lady, throw her under a
> passing bus. And next time you see a fat chain-smoking pig, give that
> person a pat on the back and thank them for their contribution to a
> fiscally sound republic. Or kingdom, as the case may be.
>
> Charlie- Hide quoted text -

oh I support people who smoke wholeheartedly purely because they are
propping up my nhs, I have no problem with them as they more than pay
for what they use out of the health service

Alison[_2_]
March 15th 07, 07:51 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 14 Mar, 01:21, Charlie Wilkes >
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:50:08 -0700, William Graham wrote:
>> > "bookie" > wrote in message
>>
> oh I support people who smoke wholeheartedly purely because they are
> propping up my nhs, I have no problem with them as they more than pay
> for what they use out of the health service>>

Isn't it sad to see people with cancer and Alzeimers (sp) in England being
denied certain drugs and while Tony Blair is spending millions on Iraq and
Afghanistan .:(
Alison

William Graham
March 16th 07, 12:38 AM
"Alison" > wrote in message >

Isn't it sad to see people with cancer and Alzeimers (sp) in England being
> denied certain drugs and while Tony Blair is spending millions on Iraq and
> Afghanistan .:(
> Alison
Yes. But some might have the foresight to blame the terrorists, or radical
religious nuts for that rather than Bush or Tony Blair.
If we paid no attention to terrorism, and, at some later date, they took
over the world, the cancer and alzheimers patients would be killed for Allah
just like the rest of us.
You may think it's much ado about nothing, and if so, I respect that
decision. But just know that it isn't a given that we are doing the wrong
thing. There are those who believe we are spending the money in the right
place, in the long run.

James
March 16th 07, 12:57 AM
On Mar 14, 12:12 pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote in message

> > On 12 Mar 2007 10:39:27 -0700, "bookie" >
> > wrote:

> >>so which is the fattest part of the states? here it is staffordshire
> >>and the north in general which harbours all the fatties, probably the
> >>north west most of all,
>
> > My mother's side of the family all came from Virginia. Virtually every
> > male was dead by the age of 50 from good old southern cooking,
> > smoking, and lack of any exercise. According to her, they were a
> > pretty large bunch.
>
> > I suspect that it is a US wide (ha) problem however. Here in NYC there
> > are plenty of large folks, but there are also a huge number of thin
> > folks running up and down the steets. Exercise here (I bike a lot)
> > tends to cause you to deeply inhale pretty bad air. We die of couch
> > potato disease or lung disease.
>
> Yeah....When I was kid (the 40's) back in NYC, they said just living there
> was like smoking two packs of cigs a day.....I remember that there was a
> continuous fallout of soot in the air....30 minutes after my mom cleaned off
> the windowsills, I could run my fingers along them and come up with a line
> of black, greasy soot on them.
> Since then, however, the smog controls on both automobiles and factories
> have done a lot toward cleaning up the air, and it is much cleaner....(I
> went back there for a visit during the early 90's)- Hide quoted text -

When I lived there I would walk 20 blocks just to save 15 cents. I
figured it would probably take 15 minutes to wait for a bus so that I
would get there just as fast and could buy candy with the 15 cents.
Remember Chunky? It costed a nickel which was a lot more than a a
plain chocolate bar.