PDA

View Full Version : Keeping kitty interested in wet food

cindys
March 14th 07, 04:21 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> It's not junk food. The formula has changed. Do some research.
>
> Point me towards the research--I'd be happy to read it. I would be
> shocked if there is *anything* worth feeding at the grocery store, though.
> And it will take a LOT to convince me of its merit after watching Spicy
> die.
----------
What makes you say the Fancy Feast was the cause of Spicy's kidney failure?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Corey Kaye
March 14th 07, 04:24 AM
Lizzy has lost a pound and a half in the 18 months she's been living in
my house. The vet pronounced her "perfect" after the results of a blood
panel, fecal and exam, and suggested I try supplementing her with her
wet food.

I started feeding her what I had on hand--Innova. She liked that for a
couple days, and then started leaving it. I went to the store and
bought several varieties of Merrick. That worked for about a week. Now
she eats a bit of it and leaves it. I am feeding her one of the
smallest cans (3.2 oz?) every evening. The flavors available in the
small single cans at the local feed store are cowboy cookout, grammys
pot pie, thanksgiving day dinner and new england boil.

HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
give her less?

It is very frustrating having cats who don't like wet food. At least
Liz will *try* it...the others all turn up their noses :(

Thanks for any ideas!

Corey

cybercat
March 14th 07, 04:35 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote
> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
> give her less?

Two words: Fancy Feast.

Corey Kaye
March 14th 07, 04:44 AM
cybercat wrote:

> "Corey Kaye" > wrote
>> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>> give her less?
>>

> Two words: Fancy Feast.

I lost my very first kitty at the ripe old age of seven after feeding
her Fancy Feast her whole life. Kidney failure. :(

Liz is not so thin that she needs to eat junk food and risk her health.
I just want her to gain a bit of weight. I am huge Innova fan and
wish Liz would just eat that wet food. Sigh.

Corey

cybercat
March 14th 07, 05:00 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> "Corey Kaye" > wrote
>>> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>>> give her less?
>>>

>> Two words: Fancy Feast.
>
> I lost my very first kitty at the ripe old age of seven after feeding her
> Fancy Feast her whole life. Kidney failure. :(
>
> Liz is not so thin that she needs to eat junk food and risk her health. I
> just want her to gain a bit of weight. I am huge Innova fan and wish Liz
> would just eat that wet food. Sigh.

It's not junk food. The formula has changed. Do some research.

Corey Kaye
March 14th 07, 05:07 AM
cybercat wrote:

> It's not junk food. The formula has changed. Do some research.

Point me towards the research--I'd be happy to read it. I would be
shocked if there is *anything* worth feeding at the grocery store,
though. And it will take a LOT to convince me of its merit after
watching Spicy die.

Corey

cybercat
March 14th 07, 05:19 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> It's not junk food. The formula has changed. Do some research.
>
> Point me towards the research--I'd be happy to read it. I would be
> shocked if there is *anything* worth feeding at the grocery store, though.
> And it will take a LOT to convince me of its merit after watching Spicy
> die.

It's not that important. I only recommended it because cats tend to love it.

And, though the formula did change a few years ago, I think it is probably
very unlikely that Fancy Feast killed your cat. My condolences, anyway.

March 14th 07, 11:47 AM
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:24:04 -0700, Corey Kaye
> wrote:

>Lizzy has lost a pound and a half in the 18 months she's been living in
>my house. The vet pronounced her "perfect" after the results of a blood
>panel, fecal and exam, and suggested I try supplementing her with her
>wet food.
>
>I started feeding her what I had on hand--Innova. She liked that for a
>couple days, and then started leaving it. I went to the store and
>bought several varieties of Merrick. That worked for about a week. Now
>she eats a bit of it and leaves it. I am feeding her one of the
>smallest cans (3.2 oz?) every evening. The flavors available in the
>small single cans at the local feed store are cowboy cookout, grammys
>pot pie, thanksgiving day dinner and new england boil.
>
>HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>give her less?
>
>It is very frustrating having cats who don't like wet food. At least
>Liz will *try* it...the others all turn up their noses :(
>
>Thanks for any ideas!
>
>Corey

I have a similar issue with my 7 year old Orion. He is suddenly very
picky about what wet food he will eat, eats a bit and walks away. He
does pretty much the same thing with dry food which he used to love.
His behavior is otherwise normal and the vet has found nothing wrong.
I did notice that if I feed him right after playing with him, he'll
eat very well. I don't have any answers either but I thought I'd let
you know you aren't alone.

Good luck,
Rob

March 14th 07, 11:47 AM
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:35:16 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Corey Kaye" > wrote
>> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>> give her less?
>>

>Two words: Fancy Feast.

That's the only thing Orion will eat, and only the chunky type.

dgk
March 14th 07, 12:16 PM
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:44:11 -0700, Corey Kaye
> wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>
>> "Corey Kaye" > wrote
>>> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>>> give her less?
>>>

>> Two words: Fancy Feast.
>
>I lost my very first kitty at the ripe old age of seven after feeding
>her Fancy Feast her whole life. Kidney failure. :(

That's an understandable feeling but illogical. Lots of cats eat Fancy
Feast all the time and don't die of kidney failure. Lots of cats die
of kidney failure that don't eat Fancy Feast. A sampling of one cat
that ate Fancy Feast and died of kidney failure proves nothing.

But for the OP, I suggest trying the wet ProPlan Salmon and Rice. All
three of my cats will eat that (which does not prove that your cat
will like it however). Well, to be fair, Marlo is just in from off the
street and will eat anything, and all of it. So, at least my two
spoiled and picky cats like the PP Salmon and Rice.

kraut
March 14th 07, 12:48 PM
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:44:11 -0700, Corey Kaye
> wrote:

>> "Corey Kaye" > wrote
>>> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>>> give her less?
>>>

>> Two words: Fancy Feast.
>
>I lost my very first kitty at the ripe old age of seven after feeding
>her Fancy Feast her whole life. Kidney failure. :(
>
>Liz is not so thin that she needs to eat junk food and risk her health.
> I just want her to gain a bit of weight. I am huge Innova fan and
>wish Liz would just eat that wet food. Sigh.
>
>Corey

My Kitty is about 16 years and I have always fed her Fancy Feast and
she is still alive. Of course I also give her Hill senior dry.

Just because your cat had Kidney failure while eating FF does not mean
it was FF's fault. I had an auto accident a while back while driving
a car. Does that make it the car's fault ?? I thought it was the
other driver's fault since he got the ticket for not stopping!!

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=

MaryL
March 14th 07, 01:10 PM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Lizzy has lost a pound and a half in the 18 months she's been living in my
> house. The vet pronounced her "perfect" after the results of a blood
> panel, fecal and exam, and suggested I try supplementing her with her wet
> food.
>
> I started feeding her what I had on hand--Innova. She liked that for a
> couple days, and then started leaving it. I went to the store and bought
> several varieties of Merrick. That worked for about a week. Now she eats
> a bit of it and leaves it. I am feeding her one of the smallest cans (3.2
> oz?) every evening. The flavors available in the small single cans at the
> local feed store are cowboy cookout, grammys pot pie, thanksgiving day
> dinner and new england boil.
>
> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
> give her less?
>
> It is very frustrating having cats who don't like wet food. At least Liz
> will *try* it...the others all turn up their noses :(
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Corey

Innova is an excellent food. I keep Innova plus three varieties of Wellness
on hand, and I alternate those four products. I think you need to put out
canned food on a regular schedule (twice a day at 12-hour intervals, or as
close to that as possible). Do not use *any* dry food. Remove all food
after a reasonable time has been given and don't feed again until their
regular schedule. I have been through this, and I felt incredibly guilty
because I was afraid that I was causing my two to be hungry. However, they
started to eat normally after a couple of days, and they have had good
appetites ever since. You simply need to acclimate your cats to the idea of
a regular schedule.

MaryL

---MIKE---
March 14th 07, 02:07 PM
Amber will eat a little bit of her canned food (Wellness) and then walk
away. About five minutes she comes back for more, I have to take her
dish away when she leaves or Tiger will eat it all. Amber keeps
repeating this about five times until she has had her share. Tiger
would eat the whole can in five minutes if I put it all down at once.
Then he would probably throw it all up. Better to feed him in small
amounts.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

MaryL
March 14th 07, 02:22 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Amber will eat a little bit of her canned food (Wellness) and then walk
away. About five minutes she comes back for more, I have to take her
dish away when she leaves or Tiger will eat it all. Amber keeps
repeating this about five times until she has had her share. Tiger
would eat the whole can in five minutes if I put it all down at once.
Then he would probably throw it all up. Better to feed him in small
amounts.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Duffy does the same thing, so I don't remove food immediately -- I allow
enough time for Duffy to do his "snacking," but I don't leave it out
indefinitely (canned food needs to be refrigerated after and hour, or two at
most). Fortunately, Holly eats her portion and then usually leaves Duffy's
alone.

MaryL

cybercat
March 14th 07, 05:15 PM
> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:35:16 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Corey Kaye" > wrote
>>> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>>> give her less?
>>>

>>Two words: Fancy Feast.
>
> That's the only thing Orion will eat, and only the chunky type.

ORION! What a fabulous name for a cat! PICS!!

My cats eat chunky and ground--the "feast" ones are the ones I call ground.
They will lick all the gravy off the filets etc. and not touch the chunks.
The "marinated" line that FF is charging double for looks and smells like
someone already ate it and lost it. They just look at me like I am out of my
mind when I put that down.

cybercat
March 14th 07, 05:17 PM
> wrote
> I did notice that if I feed him right after playing with him, he'll
> eat very well. I don't have any answers either but I thought I'd let
> you know you aren't alone.

Your attention makes him happy, so his appetite picks up. What
a doll.

March 14th 07, 10:39 PM
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:15:46 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:35:16 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Corey Kaye" > wrote
>>>>

>>>Two words: Fancy Feast.
>>
>> That's the only thing Orion will eat, and only the chunky type.
>>>

>ORION! What a fabulous name for a cat! PICS!!

Checkout

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/robxr4ti/album/576460762373928853

That's Orion and his recently dearly departed sister Katie. If you've
ever seen Men in Black, you can guess why the shelter named him Orion.

>My cats eat chunky and ground--the "feast" ones are the ones I call ground.
>They will lick all the gravy off the filets etc. and not touch the chunks.

Takes all kinds, I guess.

>The "marinated" line that FF is charging double for looks and smells like
>someone already ate it and lost it. They just look at me like I am out of my
>mind when I put that down.

Seems a bit much to me.

Corey Kaye
March 15th 07, 12:56 AM
MaryL wrote:

> Innova is an excellent food. I keep Innova plus three varieties of Wellness
> on hand, and I alternate those four products. I think you need to put out
> canned food on a regular schedule (twice a day at 12-hour intervals, or as
> close to that as possible). Do not use *any* dry food. Remove all food
> after a reasonable time has been given and don't feed again until their
> regular schedule. I have been through this, and I felt incredibly guilty
> because I was afraid that I was causing my two to be hungry. However, they
> started to eat normally after a couple of days, and they have had good
> appetites ever since. You simply need to acclimate your cats to the idea of
> a regular schedule.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible. I have five other cats who do just
fabulously on free-fed dry Innova. Four of them will NOT eat wet food.
All of them are pronounced "perfect" by my vet when they go in...and
they've convinced my vet to feed Innova ;)

Liz is certainly liking the wet food and knows the schedule--when I get
home from work she meows and runs to the room I feed her in.

Maybe I should rotate Wellness in with the Merrick?

Corey

Corey Kaye
March 15th 07, 12:59 AM
kraut wrote:

> My Kitty is about 16 years and I have always fed her Fancy Feast and
> she is still alive. Of course I also give her Hill senior dry.
>
> Just because your cat had Kidney failure while eating FF does not mean
> it was FF's fault. I had an auto accident a while back while driving
> a car. Does that make it the car's fault ?? I thought it was the
> other driver's fault since he got the ticket for not stopping!!

Honestly, Fancy Feast is non-negotiable. One cat that ate FF
exclusively died of kidney failure at an early age. She suffered a lot.
I was a little girl and it made an impression.

Several years of working in a vet clinic as a teen-ager and seeing the
difference between animals fed ultra-premium vs grocery store food also
made an impression.

I think it's great that you can feed your cat grocery store food, but
it's not something that's ever worked for me.

Corey

Sandy McDermin
March 18th 07, 02:28 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> "Corey Kaye" > wrote
>>> HOW can I entice her to eat? Do I need to try more variety? Should I
>>> give her less?
>>>

>> Two words: Fancy Feast.
>
> I lost my very first kitty at the ripe old age of seven after feeding her
> Fancy Feast her whole life. Kidney failure. :(
>
> Liz is not so thin that she needs to eat junk food and risk her health. I
> just want her to gain a bit of weight. I am huge Innova fan and wish Liz
> would just eat that wet food. Sigh.
>
> Corey

My cat, Murphy, lived for 19 years and I had him in my life for the whole 19
years. I'm in my 40's now, so when we started out together I was still in my
20's and a poor graduate student. He was served whatever I could afford from
the local grocery store at that time. As I got older and moved up the income
chain, he was served more high end, specialty foods, but for so many years
he got ... well, god knows what. I can't remember. My own experience is
variety is the spice of life. By giving my cats some variations, they end up
liking *something* and when they get tired of it, they end up eating the
second *something* that they like and so on.... I don't ever want them stuck
on eating one thing. (Oh, and my other cat, Lovey, companion to Murphy,
llived to be 16 years old.)

My two current kitties are 6 years 8 months and 1 year 5 months. Hopefully,
they will have similar long lives.
Sandy
P.S.: people albacore tuna in water will stimulate any cat's appetite.