PDA

View Full Version : Update for older cat pooping in house

March 14th 07, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone,
Well, my mum took him to the vet this morning (I didn't explain in my
couldn't take him - all the info about his condition was actually
relayed to me).

The vet checked his teeth, his temperature, and some other things (mum
couldn't remember), and told us that there's nothing wrong with him!
She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
in pain when he urinated. His teeth and temperature are fine.

The explanation for him doing his business indoors and not grooming
himself is that he's quite elderly and can't really be bothered any
more...!

I'm happy about the decision of course, but wonder if there's
something else she should have done..

Thanks
Rachel

Buddy's Mom
March 14th 07, 09:54 AM
Yes, the vet should have done blood tests and a urine test. Have your
mom that the cat to another vet.

On Mar 14, 5:22?am, wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Well, my mum took him to the vet this morning (I didn't explain in my
> couldn't take him - all the info about his condition was actually
> relayed to me).
>
> The vet checked his teeth, his temperature, and some other things (mum
> couldn't remember), and told us that there's nothing wrong with him!
> She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
> in pain when he urinated. His teeth and temperature are fine.
>
> The explanation for him doing his business indoors and not grooming
> himself is that he's quite elderly and can't really be bothered any
> more...!
>
> I'm happy about the decision of course, but wonder if there's
> something else she should have done..
>
> Thanks
> Rachel

MaryL
March 14th 07, 01:03 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi everyone,
> Well, my mum took him to the vet this morning (I didn't explain in my
> couldn't take him - all the info about his condition was actually
> relayed to me).
>
> The vet checked his teeth, his temperature, and some other things (mum
> couldn't remember), and told us that there's nothing wrong with him!
> She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
> in pain when he urinated. His teeth and temperature are fine.
>
> The explanation for him doing his business indoors and not grooming
> himself is that he's quite elderly and can't really be bothered any
> more...!
>
> I'm happy about the decision of course, but wonder if there's
> something else she should have done..
>
> Thanks
> Rachel

You need another vet if your mother correctly relayed this information to
you: " She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
in pain when he urinated." That is absolutely untrue! Your cat's urine
needs to be tested. You should also request a workup for blood testing.

I am glad you and your mum are taking such an interest in your cat's health.
However, please see another vet because that statement is completely
incorrect.

MaryL

March 14th 07, 01:44 PM
On 14 Mar, 13:03, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > Hi everyone,
> > Well, my mum took him to the vet this morning (I didn't explain in my
> > couldn't take him - all the info about his condition was actually
> > relayed to me).
>
> > The vet checked his teeth, his temperature, and some other things (mum
> > couldn't remember), and told us that there's nothing wrong with him!
> > She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
> > in pain when he urinated. His teeth and temperature are fine.
>
> > The explanation for him doing his business indoors and not grooming
> > himself is that he's quite elderly and can't really be bothered any
> > more...!
>
> > I'm happy about the decision of course, but wonder if there's
> > something else she should have done..
>
> > Thanks
> > Rachel
>
> You need another vet if your mother correctly relayed this information to
> you: " She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
> in pain when he urinated." That is absolutely untrue! Your cat's urine
> needs to be tested. You should also request a workup for blood testing.
>
> I am glad you and your mum are taking such an interest in your cat's health.
> However, please see another vet because that statement is completely
> incorrect.
>
> MaryL

Hi MaryL, thanks for your reply.
I'm not happy with the vet's decision, so I've just arranged for him
to see another vet at a different practise. Apparently - I didn't know
this - the vet practise which my mum took him too has a bit of a bad
reputation.

Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it. After sleeping on it, I've
realised that the vet he saw really should have ruled any bladder
infections/liver problems/etc out, by giving him a blood and/or urine
test.

Rachel

MaryL
March 14th 07, 01:55 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 14 Mar, 13:03, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>

>> > Hi everyone,
>> > Well, my mum took him to the vet this morning (I didn't explain in my
>> > couldn't take him - all the info about his condition was actually
>> > relayed to me).
>>
>> > The vet checked his teeth, his temperature, and some other things (mum
>> > couldn't remember), and told us that there's nothing wrong with him!
>> > She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
>> > in pain when he urinated. His teeth and temperature are fine.
>>
>> > The explanation for him doing his business indoors and not grooming
>> > himself is that he's quite elderly and can't really be bothered any
>> > more...!
>>
>> > I'm happy about the decision of course, but wonder if there's
>> > something else she should have done..
>>
>> > Thanks
>> > Rachel
>>
>> You need another vet if your mother correctly relayed this information to
>> you: " She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing
>> him
>> in pain when he urinated." That is absolutely untrue! Your cat's urine
>> needs to be tested. You should also request a workup for blood testing.
>>
>> I am glad you and your mum are taking such an interest in your cat's
>> health.
>> However, please see another vet because that statement is completely
>> incorrect.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> Hi MaryL, thanks for your reply.
> I'm not happy with the vet's decision, so I've just arranged for him
> to see another vet at a different practise. Apparently - I didn't know
> this - the vet practise which my mum took him too has a bit of a bad
> reputation.
>
> Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it. After sleeping on it, I've
> realised that the vet he saw really should have ruled any bladder
> infections/liver problems/etc out, by giving him a blood and/or urine
> test.
>
> Rachel

Thank you! It is important to check for UTI and begin treatment (if needed)
as soon as possible. UTI can rapidly progress from minimal to critical.
Please keep us updated.

MaryL

silvercelt
March 14th 07, 06:13 PM
Just to say he is old seems a bit lazy. It might be the case but they
should tests bloods just in case.