PDA

View Full Version : Do late neuered males ever stop marking territory

sheelagh
March 14th 07, 04:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to ever stop an
older neutered/later nuetered cat to stop spraying his territory, &
reduce his hostility towards other male cats?

Since neutering our Male's last month, we have been thinking about
bringing our ex - stud cats indoors like we did before they became
sexually active.

However, we are a little apprehensive about it because obviously we
don't know what the reaction is going to be. We don't want to create a
fighting arena, but it would be wonderful if we could bring them in
occasionally, to mingle with the rest of the family.

Obviously, we don't have to bring them both in at the same time....
I would try some of the introduction techniques that I have seen
posted on this site to start with, & see where it leads to.

I started the whole process yesterday, by taking the dividing wall
between their pens down, & replaced it with a galvanized mesh to
start, so that they can see & smell one another. So far, it has been
quite successful. No puffing (Birmans seem to huff and puff rather
than hiss and spit?!!) from Biffy, & no hissing from Tazy
either ,which is quite encouraging...But I don't want to push my
luck!!

Tazy (4yrs), our seal Rag is a genuinely softy puss cat, & would allow
you to dangle him over your shoulders, so I have positive feelings
that there might be hope for him. Also, he used to be an indoor cat
only, so he has some knowledge of what it is like to be an indoor cat,
& also visits inside now and again

Biffy, is a different kettle of fish...

Biffy is a Blue Birman, & he is slightly younger than Taz @ 3 years
old. He was kept indoors until he became sexually active as well, & we
still allow both of them to come in occasionally, for petting & loves
of course...
But we have never let them in @ the same time, & we have always put
stud pants on them too, so that they don't destroy the house and
furniture whilst they are in here. I know that it is a natural thing
for them to do, but it is a pretty dreadful whif, isn't it? They don't
think a great deal of the pants, but they are a bit of a nessacery
evil

( It also keeps the visits a good experience, rather than memorably
bad experiences...!!!)

We were just wondering if there is anything that we can do to allow
them both indoors a bit more often at the same time, so that we can
take the cat pens down & sell them all, bar two, which I intend to
keep in case we need it for any reason.

(rescue cats, sick ones, & outside pleasure for the girls in the
summer, ect)

If it is not possible, I guess that we will have to keep their pens, &
continue life the way it is now.
It would be such a shame though, because both of the boys are really
nice boys.
Neither of them seem to have a problem with Ringo Supa Star, nor he
with either of them...
(mind you, who wouldn't get on with him, lol?)

So I am hoping that given time that they might accept each other, as
long as we take it slowly & one step @ a time?

I would be grateful for advice from anyone about the male cats if
possible please?

The girls seem to a completely different issue altogether....
Belle is the matriarch, & the other two girls, Tiggy & Lilly, defer
to her, but they all get along very well, including Lucy(fur!) too...
Thanks,
S;o)

silvercelt
March 14th 07, 06:11 PM
If it's only been a month, may be bit soon. We say except a change in
few months.

sheelagh
March 14th 07, 11:13 PM
On 14 Mar, 18:11, "silvercelt" > wrote:
> If it's only been a month, may be bit soon. We say except a change in
> few months.

I think that you could be right there.
I was just wondering if there was anything that we might be able to do
to help the males on this latest journey.

I didn't expect it to be any skip down the yellow brick road, OTOH, If
there is anything that I can activly do to help the process, I am
willing to give it a chance to work.

I would be most interested to hear anything that might hellp them
become part of the indoor extended family?
Thanks for the advice tho
S;o)

---MIKE---
March 14th 07, 11:39 PM
I got Ike (RB) when he was 9 years old. He had just been neutered
before I got him. He never sprayed or marked.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

sheelagh
March 15th 07, 12:08 AM
On 14 Mar, 23:39, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> I got Ike (RB) when he was 9 years old. He had just been neutered
> before I got him. He never sprayed or marked.
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

That is wonderful news;o)
I think that the reason that mine do, is because they used to be
breeding cats, & it is all part of what they do to mark their
territory, as well as to let every cat within 5 miles know that they
were available and very willing indeed.
However, This is gradually slowing down as well as the calling @
night..........

I am hoping that with time, they might reduce the amount that they do
spray now, so that we can allow them indoors with us to be active
members of the family, rather than just the outside cats who used to
be breeding cats.

Also, there are two of them, so we need them to get along with each
other.
I removed the partition between them today, & although they can see
each other, there has been no hissing, raised hackles or huffing &
puffing, in Biffy's case
The deserve better than that & If I can make life more comfortable for
them, I will try almost anything if it might work, because we love
them both dearly...
S;o)

Claude V. Lucas
March 15th 07, 12:56 AM
In article . com>,
sheelagh > wrote:
>On 14 Mar, 23:39, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>> I got Ike (RB) when he was 9 years old. He had just been neutered
>> before I got him. He never sprayed or marked.
>>
>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

>That is wonderful news;o)
>I think that the reason that mine do, is because they used to be
>breeding cats, & it is all part of what they do to mark their
>territory, as well as to let every cat within 5 miles know that they
>were available and very willing indeed.
>However, This is gradually slowing down as well as the calling @
>night..........
>
>I am hoping that with time, they might reduce the amount that they do
>spray now, so that we can allow them indoors with us to be active
>members of the family, rather than just the outside cats who used to
>be breeding cats.
>
> Also, there are two of them, so we need them to get along with each
>other.
>I removed the partition between them today, & although they can see
>each other, there has been no hissing, raised hackles or huffing &
>puffing, in Biffy's case
>The deserve better than that & If I can make life more comfortable for
>them, I will try almost anything if it might work, because we love
>them both dearly...
>S;o)

Does having more that one recent ex-Tomcat in the same space increase the
likelyhood of spraying?

I ask, because there's a stray in the area that I'm considering taking
in, but I can't do it if it's gonna turn into indoor chemical warfare.

Bubba was put in neutral before I got him, but the potential new guy
is still intact and has been willing to mix it up with other outdoor
cats that are a lot bigger than he is. He stops in for a spot of Bubba
chow every day or so and is way too friendly to be feral. I've been
considering taking him in to be fixed and get him his shots and a
lookover by the vet, but I'm not gonna start the bonding process
if I'm gonna have to ditch him later. He doesn't seem to be underfed
and a couple of my neighbors say he makes the rounds by their places
as well, but they are stocked up with indoor cats already.

He's a nice looking young longhair Tuxedo that caught the name
"Sylvester" from one of the neighbors.

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Sylvester01.jpg

I realize that individuals are hard to predict, but I'll settle for
generalities if anyone wants to comment.

Even though Bubba hates other cats, I've let them check each other
out through the door a few times and Bubba has gone from hissing
to indifference so I think they *might* get along OK, but I don't
know if I can handle a sprayfest..

IBen Getiner
March 15th 07, 10:24 AM
On Mar 14, 11:31?am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to ever stop an
> older neutered/later nuetered cat to stop spraying his territory, &
> reduce his hostility towards other male cats?

Being territorial it totally normal and natural for the male of any
species. Why would you want to see this behavior stopped? You act like
there was something wrong with it... Why is it that the first thing
you women want to do is to feminize the male? Make him into something
just like you. Something that you can understand better, I guess. Just
like you see territoriality as bad.. even alien behavior, you don't
understand the big picture and you never will. You see a toddler
becoming a boy and the first thing you want to do is to stick him on
Riddelin. You'd all breast feed your male children until they were 30
if society would let you get away with it.
Look... Do the entire world a big favor and stick to your needlework
and your baking... Things you have a harder time screwing up... No
offense, but that's just the way it was meant to be. Don't **** it up,
now.

IBen Getiner

Barry
March 15th 07, 11:47 AM
IBen Getiner wrote:

> Being territorial it totally normal and natural for the male of any
> species. Why would you want to see this behavior stopped? You act like
> there was something wrong with it... Why is it that the first thing
> you women want to do is to feminize the male? Make him into something
> just like you. Something that you can understand better, I guess. Just
> like you see territoriality as bad.. even alien behavior, you don't
> understand the big picture and you never will. You see a toddler
> becoming a boy and the first thing you want to do is to stick him on
> Riddelin. You'd all breast feed your male children until they were 30
> if society would let you get away with it.
> Look... Do the entire world a big favor and stick to your needlework
> and your baking... Things you have a harder time screwing up... No
> offense, but that's just the way it was meant to be. Don't **** it up,
> now.
>
> IBen Getiner

This is dumb IB

and I got news for you, PUSSY RULES THE WORLD
don't forget it.

you mean, PUSSY WHIP THEM CATS? (not feminize, what I'm hearing is that
you'd prefer a big nasty dildo shoved up your ass)

You ain't gonna stop em. (These women)

and! what man among us does not desire to be pussy whipped!

You're a scalded nut!

Keep your bitter insane ideas to yourself.

Barry

sheelagh
March 15th 07, 02:58 PM

> Does having more that one recent ex-Tomcat in the same space increase the
> likelyhood of spraying?
>
> I ask, because there's a stray in the area that I'm considering taking
> in, but I can't do it if it's gonna turn into indoor chemical warfare.

I had three males. Two of them were whole toms & the third was a
neuter. I never had any trouble with the neuter spraying at all, but
the other two were mating cats, & did spray everything that they
possibly could. I have recently had both of the others done, & I have
been observing them ever since.
They still spray in their housing, but it is not quite so often as
before they were neutered.

I have been in a position that you describe though, & I found that
they didn't mark very often at all. On the few occasions that they did
mark, it was usually if they appeared threatened in some way. I know
that there is a product on the market that you can buy, that breaks
the enzymes down & completely masks the spray.
I believe it is a little expensive, but might be well worth the
investment if you intend to have both cats indoors.

I have a similar worry, re:chemical factory, but @ the same time, I
would love to bring both boys indoors again to be a part of the
family.

The reason a cat sprays is so that he can update the scent of himself
or mask others, so that any other cat who passes it, knows that there
is a resident cat
(ie: If one cat made a threat to the other, but this was very rare in
my experience.)
As long as there is nothing to respray, then I would think that there
is no reason to spray.

Have you actually seen the second cat spray before by any chance?

> Bubba was put in neutral before I got him, but the potential new guy
> is still intact and has been willing to mix it up with other outdoor
> cats that are a lot bigger than he is. He stops in for a spot of Bubba
> chow every day or so and is way too friendly to be feral. I've been
> considering taking him in to be fixed and get him his shots and a
> lookover by the vet, but I'm not gonna start the bonding process
> if I'm gonna have to ditch him later. He doesn't seem to be underfed
> and a couple of my neighbors say he makes the rounds by their places
> as well, but they are stocked up with indoor cats already.

It might be an idea to trap & treat, then isolate him again for a
couple of weeks before considering their first meeting. There will be
an eye contest to see who is going to be the dominant cat, & possibly
a few hisses, but if you introduce them gradually, there is a good
chance that they will hit it off...
> He's a nice looking young longhair Tuxedo that caught the name
> "Sylvester" from one of the neighbors.
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Sylvester01.jpg
>
> I realize that individuals are hard to predict, but I'll settle for
> generalities if anyone wants to comment.
>
> Even though Bubba hates other cats, I've let them check each other
> out through the door a few times and Bubba has gone from hissing
> to indifference so I think they *might* get along OK, but I don't
> know if I can handle a sprayfest..- Hide quoted text -

If this is the case, I would adopt the softly softly approach.
Good luck with your feline friends
S;o)

Claude V. Lucas
March 15th 07, 04:06 PM
In article om>,
sheelagh > wrote:

>> Does having more that one recent ex-Tomcat in the same space increase the
>> likelyhood of spraying?
>>
>> I ask, because there's a stray in the area that I'm considering taking
>> in, but I can't do it if it's gonna turn into indoor chemical warfare.
>
>I had three males. Two of them were whole toms & the third was a
>neuter. I never had any trouble with the neuter spraying at all, but
>the other two were mating cats, & did spray everything that they
>possibly could. I have recently had both of the others done, & I have
>been observing them ever since.
>They still spray in their housing, but it is not quite so often as
>before they were neutered.
>
>I have been in a position that you describe though, & I found that
>they didn't mark very often at all. On the few occasions that they did
>mark, it was usually if they appeared threatened in some way. I know
>that there is a product on the market that you can buy, that breaks
>the enzymes down & completely masks the spray.
>I believe it is a little expensive, but might be well worth the
>investment if you intend to have both cats indoors.

Feliway?

>I have a similar worry, re:chemical factory, but @ the same time, I
>would love to bring both boys indoors again to be a part of the
>family.
>
>The reason a cat sprays is so that he can update the scent of himself
>or mask others, so that any other cat who passes it, knows that there
>is a resident cat

Yep, I know that.

> (ie: If one cat made a threat to the other, but this was very rare in
>my experience.)
>As long as there is nothing to respray, then I would think that there
>is no reason to spray.

Are the parts that get removed the parts that make the stuff
that they spray?

>Have you actually seen the second cat spray before by any chance?

Oh yeah....

I've also seen him bolt across the yard and get in the face
of one of the other toms that was twice his size without hesitation.
I think he realizes that Bubba isn't any competition for the ladies.

Since I put in a catnip patch I've had all sorts of transient cats
in the yard.

My neighbors who wouldn't spay their female finally moved away
so that's cut down the attraction in the area a good bit.

>> Bubba was put in neutral before I got him, but the potential new guy
>> is still intact and has been willing to mix it up with other outdoor
>> cats that are a lot bigger than he is. He stops in for a spot of Bubba
>> chow every day or so and is way too friendly to be feral. I've been
>> considering taking him in to be fixed and get him his shots and a
>> lookover by the vet, but I'm not gonna start the bonding process
>> if I'm gonna have to ditch him later. He doesn't seem to be underfed
>> and a couple of my neighbors say he makes the rounds by their places
>> as well, but they are stocked up with indoor cats already.
>
>It might be an idea to trap & treat, then isolate him again for a
>couple of weeks before considering their first meeting. There will be
>an eye contest to see who is going to be the dominant cat, & possibly
>a few hisses, but if you introduce them gradually, there is a good
>chance that they will hit it off...

Yeah, I've been kind of doing that thru the open door.

I won't have to trap. The outdoor guy is extremely tame
and friendly. Plus I've been feeding him when he comes around.

Bubba seems to have calmed down as far as hissing and growling,
and the outdoor guy has always been pretty mellow towards him.

Thanks for the advice...

sheelagh
March 15th 07, 05:14 PM
On 15 Mar, 16:06, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article om>,
>

> sheelagh > wrote:
>
> >> Does having more that one recent ex-Tomcat in the same space increase the
> >> likelyhood of spraying?
>
> >> I ask, because there's a stray in the area that I'm considering taking
> >> in, but I can't do it if it's gonna turn into indoor chemical warfare.
>
> >I had three males. Two of them were whole toms & the third was a
> >neuter. I never had any trouble with the neuter spraying at all, but
> >the other two were mating cats, & did spray everything that they
> >possibly could. I have recently had both of the others done, & I have
> >been observing them ever since.
> >They still spray in their housing, but it is not quite so often as
> >before they were neutered.
>
> >I have been in a position that you describe though, & I found that
> >they didn't mark very often at all. On the few occasions that they did
> >mark, it was usually if they appeared threatened in some way. I know
> >that there is a product on the market that you can buy, that breaks
> >the enzymes down & completely masks the spray.
> >I believe it is a little expensive, but might be well worth the
> >investment if you intend to have both cats indoors.
>
> Feliway?
No, but feliway is also a good idea if you intend to allow him
indoors. It would most certainly help the situation for both bubba &
the new chap too.

I have added a link to one of thew sirtes that I have seen that
advertise the product I described to you.
Other could give you testemonials on here, but I personally, have
never tried it.
But othere do tell me that it works ever so well.

http://www.odormedic.com/

> >I have a similar worry, re:chemical factory, but @ the same time, I
> >would love to bring both boys indoors again to be a part of the
> >family.
>
> >The reason a cat sprays is so that he can update the scent of himself
> >or mask others, so that any other cat who passes it, knows that there
> >is a resident cat
>
> Yep, I know that.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a school teacher;o)

> > (ie: If one cat made a threat to the other, but this was very rare in
> >my experience.)
> >As long as there is nothing to respray, then I would think that there
> >is no reason to spray.
>
> Are the parts that get removed the parts that make the stuff
> that they spray?
>

> >Have you actually seen the second cat spray before by any chance?
>
> Oh yeah....

He sounds like he wants to take care of your patch for you then, in
gratitude for the Bubba left overs, lol....

> I've also seen him bolt across the yard and get in the face
> of one of the other toms that was twice his size without hesitation.
> I think he realizes that Bubba isn't any competition for the ladies.
Very much sounds like you could be right there.
I assume that because Bubba has never sprayed, then he see's no
competition...
> Since I put in a catnip patch I've had all sorts of transient cats
> in the yard.
>
> My neighbors who wouldn't spay their female finally moved away
> so that's cut down the attraction in the area a good bit.

Thank the Lord, eh..?
Not on a personal level, but from yours and Bubb's point of view...
<smile>

> >> Bubba was put in neutral before I got him, but the potential new guy
> >> is still intact and has been willing to mix it up with other outdoor
> >> cats that are a lot bigger than he is. He stops in for a spot of Bubba
> >> chow every day or so and is way too friendly to be feral. I've been
> >> considering taking him in to be fixed and get him his shots and a
> >> lookover by the vet, but I'm not gonna start the bonding process
> >> if I'm gonna have to ditch him later. He doesn't seem to be underfed
> >> and a couple of my neighbors say he makes the rounds by their places
> >> as well, but they are stocked up with indoor cats already.
>
> >It might be an idea to trap & treat, then isolate him again for a
> >couple of weeks before considering their first meeting. There will be
> >an eye contest to see who is going to be the dominant cat, & possibly
> >a few hisses, but if you introduce them gradually, there is a good
> >chance that they will hit it off...
>
> Yeah, I've been kind of doing that thru the open door.

Sounds like he is already trying to be friendly with both Bubba & you
too then!

> I won't have to trap. The outdoor guy is extremely tame
> and friendly. Plus I've been feeding him when he comes around.

He sounds very much lioke an abandonded cat ( from somewhere close by
to your vicinity too.). If he will allow you to come near him, Wants
to socialise with you, & is also not threatening towards Bubba.. then
he is telling you that he wants to be a part of your worlds...
> Bubba seems to have calmed down as far as hissing and growling,
> and the outdoor guy has always been pretty mellow towards him.
That sounds very encouraging

> Thanks for the advice...- Hide quoted text -

you are most welcome
S:o)

Barry
March 15th 07, 05:29 PM
sheelagh wrote:
> [...]
> couple of weeks before considering their first meeting. There will be
> an eye contest to see who is going to be the dominant cat, & possibly
> a few hisses, but if you introduce them gradually, there is a good
> chance that they will hit it off...
>> He's a nice looking young longhair Tuxedo that caught the name
>> "Sylvester" from one of the neighbors.
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Sylvester01.jpg
>>
>> I realize that individuals are hard to predict, but I'll settle for
>> generalities if anyone wants to comment.
>>
>> Even though Bubba hates other cats, I've let them check each other
>> out through the door a few times and Bubba has gone from hissing
>> to indifference so I think they *might* get along OK, but I don't
>> know if I can handle a sprayfest..- Hide quoted text -

> If this is the case, I would adopt the softly softly approach.

boy you do aim to please don't you

lol

barry

Claude V. Lucas
March 15th 07, 05:47 PM
In article . com>,
sheelagh > wrote:
>On 15 Mar, 16:06, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article om>,
>>

>> sheelagh > wrote:
>>

>> >I have been in a position that you describe though, & I found that
>> >they didn't mark very often at all. On the few occasions that they did
>> >mark, it was usually if they appeared threatened in some way. I know
>> >that there is a product on the market that you can buy, that breaks
>> >the enzymes down & completely masks the spray.
>> >I believe it is a little expensive, but might be well worth the
>> >investment if you intend to have both cats indoors.
>>
>> Feliway?
>No, but feliway is also a good idea if you intend to allow him
>indoors. It would most certainly help the situation for both bubba &
>the new chap too.
>
>I have added a link to one of thew sirtes that I have seen that
>advertise the product I described to you.
>Other could give you testemonials on here, but I personally, have
>never tried it.
>But othere do tell me that it works ever so well.
>
> http://www.odormedic.com/

I'll check it out, thanks.

>> Are the parts that get removed the parts that make the stuff
>> that they spray?
>>

>> >Have you actually seen the second cat spray before by any chance?
>>
>> Oh yeah....
>
>He sounds like he wants to take care of your patch for you then, in
>gratitude for the Bubba left overs, lol....
>
>> I've also seen him bolt across the yard and get in the face
>> of one of the other toms that was twice his size without hesitation.
>> I think he realizes that Bubba isn't any competition for the ladies.
> Very much sounds like you could be right there.
>I assume that because Bubba has never sprayed, then he see's no
>competition...

>> Since I put in a catnip patch I've had all sorts of transient cats
>> in the yard.
>>
>> My neighbors who wouldn't spay their female finally moved away
>> so that's cut down the attraction in the area a good bit.
>
>Thank the Lord, eh..?
>Not on a personal level, but from yours and Bubb's point of view...

At one point there were a *lot* of cats hanging around.

I thought that there were 3 black ones, but a neighbor corrected
me. *5* black ones. And that's just the black ones.

><smile>

>> >It might be an idea to trap & treat, then isolate him again for a
>> >couple of weeks before considering their first meeting. There will be
>> >an eye contest to see who is going to be the dominant cat, & possibly
>> >a few hisses, but if you introduce them gradually, there is a good
>> >chance that they will hit it off...
>>
>> Yeah, I've been kind of doing that thru the open door.
>
>Sounds like he is already trying to be friendly with both Bubba & you
>too then!
>
>> I won't have to trap. The outdoor guy is extremely tame
>> and friendly. Plus I've been feeding him when he comes around.
>
>He sounds very much lioke an abandonded cat ( from somewhere close by
>to your vicinity too.). If he will allow you to come near him, Wants
>to socialise with you, & is also not threatening towards Bubba.. then
>he is telling you that he wants to be a part of your worlds...

I'm pretty sure he *was* abandoned. He just showed up a few months
ago and was pretty skinny for awhile. His head was way bigger than
it should have been for his body, but since he has established a
route between 2 or 3 places he's fattened up a good bit.

"Allowing me to come near him" doesn't even come close. If he
feels like it he'll come running over from wherever he's hanging
out when he hears my car pull up and he'll jump up next to me
on the porch couch or even roll on the ground for a belly scratch.
Lately he even seems to prefer the attention to the food, which is
*really* strange...

22brix
March 15th 07, 06:13 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

> "Allowing me to come near him" doesn't even come close. If he
> feels like it he'll come running over from wherever he's hanging
> out when he hears my car pull up and he'll jump up next to me
> on the porch couch or even roll on the ground for a belly scratch.
> Lately he even seems to prefer the attention to the food, which is
> *really* strange...

I've seen that before--I have a feral/stray we've been feeding who has
gradually gotten to the place we can't walk outside without him throwing
himself right down in front of us. He's almost made me fall several times.
He'll also walk right next to you, keeping in contact with your foot, as if
he's attached with velcro! He will leave his food and come racing over to
where we are so that we can give him scritches but is still very skittish,
especially during the day. I have the feeling that he may have been
"pre-owned" and living on his own for awhile. We live in a rural area and
cats are dumped around here quite a bit. He was "talking" to us long before
he'd let us anywhere near him. He warmed up to our dog before he did to us
which I thought was weird. Our elderly dog is NOT amused when he (the cat)
rubs up against her while she's trying to do her business.

By the way, Sylvester is really a striking cat! It does take a while for
the hormones to subside (and the really rank urine smell to go away) after
late neutering! It's been a while since we neutered an adult male but it
seems to me that it took a week or two before you couldn't smell male cat
pee! He never sprayed in the house and ended up being a total sweetheart.
We had multiple cats and he got along well with everyone.

Good luck with Sylvester! He sounds like a neat cat! Just take it
slow--cats are pretty conservative critters and don't like changes to their
routine.

Bonnie

Claude V. Lucas
March 15th 07, 06:24 PM
In article >,
22brix > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Allowing me to come near him" doesn't even come close. If he
>> feels like it he'll come running over from wherever he's hanging
>> out when he hears my car pull up and he'll jump up next to me
>> on the porch couch or even roll on the ground for a belly scratch.
>> Lately he even seems to prefer the attention to the food, which is
>> *really* strange...
>>

>I've seen that before--I have a feral/stray we've been feeding who has
>gradually gotten to the place we can't walk outside without him throwing
>himself right down in front of us. He's almost made me fall several times.
>He'll also walk right next to you, keeping in contact with your foot, as if
>he's attached with velcro! He will leave his food and come racing over to
>where we are so that we can give him scritches but is still very skittish,
>especially during the day. I have the feeling that he may have been
>"pre-owned" and living on his own for awhile. We live in a rural area and
>cats are dumped around here quite a bit. He was "talking" to us long before
>he'd let us anywhere near him. He warmed up to our dog before he did to us
>which I thought was weird. Our elderly dog is NOT amused when he (the cat)
>rubs up against her while she's trying to do her business.

Heh.

>By the way, Sylvester is really a striking cat! It does take a while for
>the hormones to subside (and the really rank urine smell to go away) after
>late neutering! It's been a while since we neutered an adult male but it
>seems to me that it took a week or two before you couldn't smell male cat
>pee! He never sprayed in the house and ended up being a total sweetheart.
>We had multiple cats and he got along well with everyone.

I'm hoping for good results. One of the neighbors has a connection to
get him his shots and his deletion for free, so that's going to help.

He's about half Bubba's size (if that), but Bubba is pretty passive so they
should get along OK. Also, he seems to get along OK outside. There's not
much car traffic and what there is is slow. He made it through the winter
without problems so he can stay outside long enough for the changes to
change before I bring him inside.

>Good luck with Sylvester! He sounds like a neat cat! Just take it
>slow--cats are pretty conservative critters and don't like changes to their
>routine.

Thanks for the good advice.

sheelagh
March 16th 07, 04:17 AM
On 15 Mar, 17:47, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> [...]
>
> >He sounds very much lioke an abandonded cat ( from somewhere close by
> >to your vicinity too.). If he will allow you to come near him, Wants
> >to socialise with you, & is also not threatening towards Bubba.. then
> >he is telling you that he wants to be a part of your worlds...
>
> I'm pretty sure he *was* abandoned. He just showed up a few months
> ago and was pretty skinny for awhile. His head was way bigger than
> it should have been for his body, but since he has established a
> route between 2 or 3 places he's fattened up a good bit.
>
> "Allowing me to come near him" doesn't even come close. If he
> feels like it he'll come running over from wherever he's hanging
> out when he hears my car pull up and he'll jump up next to me
> on the porch couch or even roll on the ground for a belly scratch.
> Lately he even seems to prefer the attention to the food, which is

It sounds like you have a class one fan there, LOL ;o)
I wouldn't be able to resist him, he sounds really nice...

What does he look like out of interest?
S;o)

Claude V. Lucas
March 16th 07, 04:22 AM
In article m>,
sheelagh > wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure he *was* abandoned. He just showed up a few months
>> ago and was pretty skinny for awhile. His head was way bigger than
>> it should have been for his body, but since he has established a
>> route between 2 or 3 places he's fattened up a good bit.
>>
>> "Allowing me to come near him" doesn't even come close. If he
>> feels like it he'll come running over from wherever he's hanging
>> out when he hears my car pull up and he'll jump up next to me
>> on the porch couch or even roll on the ground for a belly scratch.
>> Lately he even seems to prefer the attention to the food, which is
>> *really* strange...- Hide quoted text -
>
> It sounds like you have a class one fan there, LOL ;o)
>I wouldn't be able to resist him, he sounds really nice...
>
>What does he look like out of interest?

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Sylvester01.jpg

sheelagh
March 16th 07, 04:25 AM
On 16 Mar, 04:17, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 15 Mar, 17:47, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>

> > In article . com>,
>
> > sheelagh > wrote:

> > >No, but feliway is also a good idea if you intend to allow him
> > >indoors. It would most certainly help the situation for both bubba &
> > >the new chap too.
>
> > >I have added a link to one of thew sites that I have seen that
> > >advertise the product I described to you.
> > >Other could give you testimonials on here, but I personally, have
> > >never tried it.
> > >But others do tell me that it works ever so well.
>
> > >http://www.odormedic.com/
>
> > I'll check it out, thanks.

> > >He sounds like he wants to take care of your patch for you then, in
> > >gratitude for the Bubba left overs, lol....

> > > Very much sounds like you could be right there.
> > >I assume that because Bubba has never sprayed, then he See's no
> > >competition...

> > >Thank the Lord, eh..?
> > >Not on a personal level, but from yours and Bubb's point of view...
>
> > At one point there were a *lot* of cats hanging around.
>
> > I thought that there were 3 black ones, but a neighbor corrected
> > me. *5* black ones. And that's just the black ones.
>
> > ><smile>

> > >Sounds like he is already trying to be friendly with both Bubba & you
> > >too then!

> > >He sounds very much like an abandoned cat ( from somewhere close by
> > >to your vicinity too.). If he will allow you to come near him, Wants
> > >to socialise with you, & is also not threatening towards Bubba.. then
> > >he is telling you that he wants to be a part of your worlds...
>
> > I'm pretty sure he *was* abandoned. He just showed up a few months
> > ago and was pretty skinny for awhile. His head was way bigger than
> > it should have been for his body, but since he has established a
> > route between 2 or 3 places he's fattened up a good bit.
>
> > "Allowing me to come near him" doesn't even come close. If he
> > feels like it he'll come running over from wherever he's hanging
> > out when he hears my car pull up and he'll jump up next to me
> > on the porch couch or even roll on the ground for a belly scratch.
> > Lately he even seems to prefer the attention to the food, which is
> > *really* strange...- Hide quoted text -
>
> It sounds like you have a class one fan there, LOL ;o)
> I wouldn't be able to resist him, he sounds really nice...
>
> What does he look like out of interest?
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -

Is he one of the solid blacks that you mentioned,
or are you saying that just to point out how many there are are
hanging around near you & Bubba?
S;o)
PS: it a lot of black cats either way. I have one too, but she is a
little girl called Lucy(fur!!)..well, actually, she is my daughters,
but it is one and the same, lol;o)

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LucyFurUpDate

Barry
March 16th 07, 04:34 AM
On Mar 15, 11:25 pm, "sheelagh" > wrote:

> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LucyFurUpDate

I like the one that says, "who made that noise" so cute.

She looks like Jupiter. sorta

What kind of cats are black cats anyway.. they are not "black cats"
maybe they have a proper name?

Barry

Claude V. Lucas
March 16th 07, 04:47 AM
In article om>,
sheelagh > wrote:
>On 16 Mar, 04:17, "sheelagh" > wrote:
>> On 15 Mar, 17:47, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>>
>> It sounds like you have a class one fan there, LOL ;o)
>> I wouldn't be able to resist him, he sounds really nice...
>>
>> What does he look like out of interest?
>> S;o)- Hide quoted text -

>Is he one of the solid blacks that you mentioned,
>or are you saying that just to point out how many there are are
>hanging around near you & Bubba?

He's a longhaired tuxedo.

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Sylvester01.jpg

One of the neighbors dubbed him "Sylvester" from the cartoon...

It'll probably stick

>PS: it a lot of black cats either way. I have one too, but she is a
>little girl called Lucy(fur!!)..well, actually, she is my daughters,
>but it is one and the same, lol;o)

It's tough to count black cats at night.

:^)

I've seen three different ones for sure, another neighbor says 5...

Ones a unspayed female, we plan on trapping her and getting her fixed
before she multiplies if we can.

Also among the regulars there's a grey and white one plus a *huge*
siamese that's almost as big as Bubba, but he lives next door and
is fixed.

I've seen as many as three other strange ones hanging out in
the catnip patch, but I don't see them too often. Hopefully
since the anti-spay neighbors moved the attraction in the location
will fade.

It might sound a bit harsh, but I'm actually surprised that the
local coyotes haven't reduced the outdoor population of cats
in the neigborhood. I've seen as many as 5 in a pack running
in the desert not too far away, and kitty is a coyote delicacy
so I've heard. Also, there's been reports of *really* big kittys
in the area and from what I've read they're not above dining
on their smaller cousins if they can catch one.

Last year there was a short film on the TV news showing a
cougar trotting down the street in a local suburb just like he/she
owned the place, which probably was the case. Folks were warned
to keep their kids in sight and not chain their dogs in their
yards, which isn't that good of an idea in the desert to begin with.

That's probably one reason why Bubba refuses to go outside.

Terry O'Connel
March 19th 07, 10:31 AM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> On Mar 14, 11:31?am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to ever stop an
>>older neutered/later nuetered cat to stop spraying his territory, &
>>reduce his hostility towards other male cats?
>

> Being territorial it totally normal and natural for the male of any
> species. Why would you want to see this behavior stopped? You act like
> there was something wrong with it... Why is it that the first thing
> you women want to do is to feminize the male? Make him into something
> just like you. Something that you can understand better, I guess. Just
> like you see territoriality as bad.. even alien behavior, you don't
> understand the big picture and you never will. You see a toddler
> becoming a boy and the first thing you want to do is to stick him on
> Riddelin. You'd all breast feed your male children until they were 30
> if society would let you get away with it.
> Look... Do the entire world a big favor and stick to your needlework
> and your baking... Things you have a harder time screwing up... No
> offense, but that's just the way it was meant to be. Don't **** it up,
> now.
>
> IBen Getiner

Not only are you a racist kook, but you're also a chauvenist kook.
However, territorial ****ings are your specialty since it's your
trademark here. Is it ever possible to stop neutered IBen ****ing all
over newsgroups?

Barry
March 19th 07, 10:37 AM
On Mar 19, 5:31 am, Terry O'Connel > wrote:

> Not only are you a racist kook, but you're also a chauvenist kook.
> However, territorial ****ings are your specialty since it's your
> trademark here. Is it ever possible to stop neutered IBen ****ing all
> over newsgroups?

Maybe if we douse him with some oily cheap perfume?

otherwise.. probably just put a biiig diaper on him.

He reminds me of Bert from Bert and Ernie (Sesame Street)

sheelagh
March 19th 07, 03:13 PM
On 19 Mar, 10:37, "Barry" > wrote:
> On Mar 19, 5:31 am, Terry O'Connel > wrote:
>
> > Not only are you a racist kook, but you're also a chauvenist kook.
> > However, territorial ****ings are your specialty since it's your
> > trademark here. Is it ever possible to stop neutered IBen ****ing all
> > over newsgroups?
>
> Maybe if we douse him with some oily cheap perfume?
>
> otherwise.. probably just put a biiig diaper on him.
>
> He reminds me of Bert from Bert and Ernie (Sesame Street)

Erm.. what is a kook?