PDA

View Full Version : compulsive licking issue

kitkat via CatKB.com
March 15th 07, 03:36 AM
my cat stewie is a compulsive licker - and not just him - he licks the other
cat, the rug, whatever.

but my biggest concern is that he licks stomach and legs nonstop. He's
getting a little bald spot.

I've heard this can do with food - he's on eukenuba multi-renal because my
other cat shatner has kidney disease. I'm hoping this isn't an allergy
because shatner needs to be on this.

is he bored? I give him a good deal of attention but maybe I should let him
go outside? I prefer to keep him in, but it he's going to lick himself raw,
a little diversion might be a good idea.

IBen Getiner
March 15th 07, 10:44 AM
On Mar 14, 9:36�pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> my cat stewie is a compulsive licker - and not just him - he licks the other
> cat, the rug, whatever.
>
> but my biggest concern is that he licks stomach and legs nonstop. *He's
> getting a little bald spot.
>
> I've heard this can do with food - he's on eukenuba multi-renal because my
> other cat shatner has kidney disease. *I'm hoping this isn't an allergy
> because shatner needs to be on this.
>
> is he bored? *I give him a good deal of attention but maybe I should let him
> go outside? *I prefer to keep him in, but it he's going to lick himself raw,
> a little diversion might be a good idea.

Excessive grooming is a sign of a potentially serious mental disorder,
and you should put a stop to it immediately. It shows evidence of a
obsessive/compulsive disorder. Scold your feline often, whenever you
see him/her engaging in this nasty, unsightly behavior. Otherwise, he
will think that you approve. Good lick... I mean, good luck!

IBen

kitkat via CatKB.com
March 18th 07, 09:55 PM
now I'm really worried- I don't want my little guy to have a serious problem.

I'm trying to play with him more but he'll just stop in the middle of a game
to lick himself - do you know if they have anything I can rub on him that
will taste icky and keep him from licking?

I swear it's getting out of control. I never realized how bad it was until I
started trying to make him stop. it's really upsetting.

Terry O'Connel
March 19th 07, 11:11 AM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> Excessive grooming is a sign of a potentially serious mental disorder,
> and you should put a stop to it immediately. It shows evidence of a
> obsessive/compulsive disorder. Scold your feline often, whenever you
> see him/her engaging in this nasty, unsightly behavior. Otherwise, he
> will think that you approve. Good lick... I mean, good luck!
>
> IBen

I believe that you know everything about potentially serious mental
disorders as you're compulsively licking your cat's arse.

Barry
March 19th 07, 11:17 AM
On Mar 19, 5:11 am, Terry O'Connel > wrote:
> IBen Getiner wrote:

> I believe that you know everything about potentially serious mental
> disorders as you're compulsively licking your cat's arse.

AMEN!

That's right!

Come'on

FIX IT UP!!!

PREACH!!!

PREACHIT!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Rene S.
March 19th 07, 08:08 PM
On Mar 14, 9:36 pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> my cat stewie is a compulsive licker - and not just him - he licks the other
> cat, the rug, whatever.
>
> but my biggest concern is that he licks stomach and legs nonstop. He's
> getting a little bald spot.
>
> I've heard this can do with food - he's on eukenuba multi-renal because my
> other cat shatner has kidney disease. I'm hoping this isn't an allergy
> because shatner needs to be on this.
>
> is he bored? I give him a good deal of attention but maybe I should let him
> go outside? I prefer to keep him in, but it he's going to lick himself raw,
> a little diversion might be a good idea.

First, I'd bring him to the vet's for a checkup to make sure there are
no medical problems. One of my cats pulled his fur out compulsively
for nine months, and after trying different things (distraction,
Rescue Remedy, more playtime), decided to put him on an anti-anxiety
medication (busbar). It's helped immensely. However, I'm not saying
this will work for you. Please consult your vet and explore your
options if there is no medical condition.

Rene S.
March 19th 07, 08:58 PM
On Mar 19, 2:08 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> First, I'd bring him to the vet's for a checkup to make sure there are
> no medical problems. One of my cats pulled his fur out compulsively
> for nine months, and after trying different things (distraction,
> Rescue Remedy, more playtime), decided to put him on an anti-anxiety
> medication (busbar). It's helped immensely. However, I'm not saying
> this will work for you. Please consult your vet and explore your
> options if there is no medical condition.

Another thought. If your other cat is on a kidney formula food, your
other cat should not be eating this. It's low in protein and can cause
damage to a healthy cat. It's possible your cat has an allergy to
grains. Try feeding a canned, grain-free and fish free food, such as
Wellness, Innova, or Nature's Variety.