PDA

View Full Version : Tiggy's kittens have arrived

sheelagh
March 16th 07, 07:48 AM
I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...

After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
4kittens.
The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..

The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
of the litter.. now that was shocking!!

I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
her big Igloo.

Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
third kitty...
Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.

I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
of the placenta's afterwards.

However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
be...?!!)

3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.

We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
bit sprightly today.
I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)

More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
S;o)

cindys
March 16th 07, 03:18 PM
I am so glad I saw this before the weekend (I haven't been posting as much).
I can't wait for the pictures!! (When Amanda, my pregnant foster cat, gave
birth, she popped out all four kittens one right after the other with only a
few minutes between each one. If she had taken a five-hour break after the
first one, I would have assumed she was finished and missed the other
three). Again, congratulations!!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
> Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
> in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
> 4kittens.
> The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
> when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
> I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
> Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
> fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
> delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
> relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
> of the litter.. now that was shocking!!
>
> I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
> suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
> something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
> her big Igloo.
>
> Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> third kitty...
> Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
> shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
> encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
> of the placenta's afterwards.
>
> However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> be...?!!)
>
> 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
> I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
> one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
> bit sprightly today.
> I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
> my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
> seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
> S;o)

Lynne
March 16th 07, 03:22 PM
on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:48:35 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.

Woo hoo! Congratulations!!

--
Lynne

Marissa
March 16th 07, 04:05 PM
Congratulations to Tiggy...

Maria
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
> Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
> in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
> 4kittens.
> The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
> when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
> I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
> Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
> fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
> delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
> relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
> of the litter.. now that was shocking!!
>
> I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
> suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
> something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
> her big Igloo.
>
> Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> third kitty...
> Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
> shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
> encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
> of the placenta's afterwards.
>
> However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> be...?!!)
>
> 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
> I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
> one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
> bit sprightly today.
> I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
> my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
> seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
> S;o)

sheelagh
March 16th 07, 04:26 PM
On 16 Mar, 14:22, Lynne > wrote:
> on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:48:35 GMT, "sheelagh"
>
> > wrote:
> > More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> > Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
>
> Woo hoo! Congratulations!!
>
> --
> Lynne

Thanks to both you & Cindy too.
I was living in pie in the sky when I wrote that posting I am
afraid;o(

We have hit snag no:1

Tiggy has a retained a bit of placenta, so we have handed her over to
the new vet so that she can put her on a drip called oxitocyn.
Apparently, it makes her womb contract again until she expells the
placenta. She has already been seen once & we are waiting for the next
one @ 6.30GMT

This is actually better news than I 1st thought, because I thought it
was it might be a still born kitty in the horns.. so there are
something to be grateful for, eh..?

I am told that this is not terribly uncommon, but that she will need
to be on some antibiotics to ensure that she doesn't develop an
infection of the womb because of any lurking bits of placenta....?

I really was starting to sweat. (I mean perspire of course, lol;o) [email protected]
the thought of another $700 bill.. but things are looking far more
optimistic now, thank the Lord!

All of the kittens are fine, warm, & feeding. Mummy is purring & has
pulled a blanket over her head because she likes it like that. (I just
went to go and have a look at her. She has also started to clean
herself too which is great as well.

I was beginning to feel really pessimistic this morning.. but things
are definately improving.
I was feeling down, because I rang the vet, & I felt that they were
not listening to me..(I guess they were, but I was feeling under
pressure after recent events

Initially, she wanted to have them in Karen's bed, lol.. but we had to
convince her that it might not be the best place to have them..
Finding her blanket & her igloo seemed to help out though. she wasn't
too fussed about the igloo, it was her blanky that she wanted.

We have one runt in the litter, but he / she is still latching on
firmly & feeding, so right now things "feel good". no fighting over
teats as there are plenty to go around them all.
I HAD TO Cut a couple of cords, because she was simply exhausted
towards the end.
Here goes, to all going according to plan..!!

Photos will follow shortly too. Karen has promised to take a few for
me, If I can't get round there until after she leaves to take her to
the vets... my car has a dead cell in the battery so she is going to
take her down for me, & I am hoping to cadge a lift later on with my
sister in law. I wil post them asap!
S;o)

Lynne
March 16th 07, 04:44 PM
on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:26:44 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> We have hit snag no:1
>
> Tiggy has a retained a bit of placenta, so we have handed her over to
> the new vet so that she can put her on a drip called oxitocyn.
> Apparently, it makes her womb contract again until she expells the
> placenta. She has already been seen once & we are waiting for the next
> one @ 6.30GMT

Aw, that's unfortunate. The Oxitocyn will help make her uterus contract,
as will the suckling of the kitten. I hope everything comes out all right,
literally!!

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 16th 07, 04:54 PM
on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:44:43 GMT, Lynne >
wrote:

> the suckling of the kitten

Of course I meant kittenS!!

--
Lynne

sheelagh
March 16th 07, 05:41 PM
On 16 Mar, 15:05, "Marissa" > wrote:
> Congratulations to Tiggy...
>
> Maria"sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
> > Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
> > in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> > After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
> > 4kittens.
> > The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
> > when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
> > I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
> > Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> > The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
> > fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
> > delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
> > relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
> > of the litter.. now that was shocking!!
>
> > I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
> > suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
> > something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
> > her big Igloo.
>
> > Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> > third kitty...
> > Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> > I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
> > shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
> > encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
> > of the placenta's afterwards.
>
> > However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> > be...?!!)
>
> > 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
> > I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
> > one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> > We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
> > bit sprightly today.
> > I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
> > my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
> > seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> > More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> > Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks,
I happen to be a slave to not just Tiggy kitzholme, but also Biffy the
blue point Birman, Tazy, seal Ragdoll mitted, Blue -Belle, blue
Ragdoll mitted, Lucy(fur!!) & Ringo star too( not including our new
baby Kitty's too of course!!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/OURCURRENTFELINEFAMILY02

mlbriggs
March 16th 07, 06:30 PM
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:48:35 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

> I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought Tiggy
> was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there in my
> sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered 4kittens.
> The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride when
> nothing else happened by 5 hours later. I have seen one prolonged labour,
> but had no idea what to expect of Tiggy, because this was her first litter
> with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we fostered
> for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She delivered 3
> kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to relieve herself
> before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest of the litter.. now
> that was shocking!!
>
> I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It suddenly
> occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking something
> familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets & her big Igloo.
>
> Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> third kitty...
> Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still shocked
> to see how long it took for her to have them & the encouragement that it
> took to get her to lick her kittens & take care of the placenta's
> afterwards.
>
> However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> be...?!!)
>
> 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter. I
> really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little one,
> & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a bit
> sprightly today.
> I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put my
> mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never seen a
> queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us. S;o)

Sending heartfelt purrs for the health and wellbeing of Tiggy and all of
her babes. They are lovely. MLB

bookie
March 16th 07, 06:55 PM
On 16 Mar, 06:48, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
> Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
> in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
> 4kittens.
> The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
> when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
> I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
> Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
> fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
> delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
> relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
> of the litter.. now that was shocking!!
>
> I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
> suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
> something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
> her big Igloo.
>
> Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> third kitty...
> Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
> shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
> encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
> of the placenta's afterwards.
>
> However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> be...?!!)
>
> 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
> I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
> one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
> bit sprightly today.
> I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
> my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
> seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
> S;o)

congrats, so all turned out ok in the end after all the trauma? i bet
that 'runt' is gong to be a right little tearaway in a wee while,
please post some photos when you can

best wishes, and purrs from my 2 tortie girls
bookie

bookie
March 16th 07, 06:59 PM
On 16 Mar, 15:26, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 16 Mar, 14:22, Lynne > wrote:
>
> > on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:48:35 GMT, "sheelagh"
>
> > > wrote:
> > > More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> > > Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
>
> > Woo hoo! Congratulations!!
>
> > --
> > Lynne
>
> Thanks to both you & Cindy too.
> I was living in pie in the sky when I wrote that posting I am
> afraid;o(
>
> We have hit snag no:1
>
> Tiggy has a retained a bit of placenta, so we have handed her over to
> the new vet so that she can put her on a drip called oxitocyn.
> Apparently, it makes her womb contract again until she expells the
> placenta. She has already been seen once & we are waiting for the next
> one @ 6.30GMT
>
> This is actually better news than I 1st thought, because I thought it
> was it might be a still born kitty in the horns.. so there are
> something to be grateful for, eh..?
>
> I am told that this is not terribly uncommon, but that she will need
> to be on some antibiotics to ensure that she doesn't develop an
> infection of the womb because of any lurking bits of placenta....?
>
> I really was starting to sweat. (I mean perspire of course, lol;o) [email protected]
> the thought of another $700 bill.. but things are looking far more
> optimistic now, thank the Lord!
>
> All of the kittens are fine, warm, & feeding. Mummy is purring & has
> pulled a blanket over her head because she likes it like that. (I just
> went to go and have a look at her. She has also started to clean
> herself too which is great as well.
>
> I was beginning to feel really pessimistic this morning.. but things
> are definately improving.
> I was feeling down, because I rang the vet, & I felt that they were
> not listening to me..(I guess they were, but I was feeling under
> pressure after recent events
>
> Initially, she wanted to have them in Karen's bed, lol.. but we had to
> convince her that it might not be the best place to have them..
> Finding her blanket & her igloo seemed to help out though. she wasn't
> too fussed about the igloo, it was her blanky that she wanted.
>
> We have one runt in the litter, but he / she is still latching on
> firmly & feeding, so right now things "feel good". no fighting over
> teats as there are plenty to go around them all.
> I HAD TO Cut a couple of cords, because she was simply exhausted
> towards the end.
> Here goes, to all going according to plan..!!
>
> Photos will follow shortly too. Karen has promised to take a few for
> me, If I can't get round there until after she leaves to take her to
> the vets... my car has a dead cell in the battery so she is going to
> take her down for me, & I am hoping to cadge a lift later on with my
> sister in law. I wil post them asap!
> S;o)

oxytocin is the hormone which the body secretes to initiate the
contractions to start the birth, also linked with milk production in
the breasts, so they are not giving her anything weird so don't worry
abuot that. Human mothers also produce oxytocin too.

bless her furry little heart, pulling a blanket over her head, daft
little sausage.

i demand photos!!!!
bookie

bookie
March 16th 07, 07:02 PM
On 16 Mar, 16:41, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 16 Mar, 15:05, "Marissa" > wrote:
>

> > Congratulations to Tiggy...
>
> > Maria"sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > > I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
> > > Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
> > > in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> > > After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
> > > 4kittens.
> > > The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
> > > when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
> > > I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
> > > Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> > > The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
> > > fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
> > > delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
> > > relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
> > > of the litter.. now that was shocking!!
>
> > > I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
> > > suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
> > > something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
> > > her big Igloo.
>
> > > Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> > > third kitty...
> > > Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> > > I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
> > > shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
> > > encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
> > > of the placenta's afterwards.
>
> > > However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> > > be...?!!)
>
> > > 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
> > > I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
> > > one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> > > We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
> > > bit sprightly today.
> > > I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
> > > my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
> > > seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> > > More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> > > Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
> > > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks,
> I happen to be a slave to not just Tiggy kitzholme, but also Biffy the
> blue point Birman, Tazy, seal Ragdoll mitted, Blue -Belle, blue
> Ragdoll mitted, Lucy(fur!!) & Ringo star too( not including our new
> baby Kitty's too of course!!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/OURCURRENTFELINEFAMILY02- Hide quoted text -

I cannot believe how blue lilly's eyes are, they are like huge
sapphires! they are all so beautiful. the look on biffy's face is as
thugh he is smiling

zinzee
March 16th 07, 10:38 PM
On Mar 16, 2:48 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
> Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
> in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
> 4kittens.
> The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
> when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
> I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
> Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
> fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
> delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
> relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
> of the litter.. now that was shocking!!
>
> I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
> suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
> something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
> her big Igloo.
>
> Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> third kitty...
> Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
> shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
> encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
> of the placenta's afterwards.
>
> However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> be...?!!)
>
> 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
> I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
> one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
> bit sprightly today.
> I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
> my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
> seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
> S;o)

Good news all the best! Please do report back with the vet results
and some pictures. I can't wait to see those little eyes when they
open!

All the best,
Heather

zinzee
March 16th 07, 11:01 PM
On Mar 16, 12:41 pm, "sheelagh" > wrote:

> Thanks,
> I happen to be a slave to not just Tiggy kitzholme, but also Biffy the
> blue point Birman, Tazy, seal Ragdoll mitted, Blue -Belle, blue
> Ragdoll mitted, Lucy(fur!!) & Ringo star too( not including our new
> baby Kitty's too of course!!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/OURCURRENTFELINEFAMILY02

What beauties! Sorry to not read all the thread and I missed that the
Tiggster is running a little off. Mack C. and I will be sending love
your way!

All the best,
Heather

sheelagh
March 17th 07, 07:15 PM

> Good news all the best! Please do report back with the vet results
> and some pictures. I can't wait to see those little eyes when they
> open!
>
> All the best,
> Heather- Hide quoted text -

Phew...What a long 70 hours it has been!!

We got Tiggy down to the vet last night, & after much palpitation,
they decided that there was actually a bit more inside Tiggy than we
had anticipated. At this stage it was decided that a scan was needed
to determine exactly what we were looking for.

If I thought that 7 hours was a long labour, it was "nothing" compared
what was to follow...

After the scan, we knew that there were 2more kittens, & a small
amount of placenta matter still in there that she would need to
evacuate if possible.
Tiggy was placed on a drip of oxytocin, glucose solution, & also had a
shot of antibiotics too.

During last night her contractions restarted again & the first kitten
born was stillborn, sadly. The second one born was fine, breathing &
plump, but she rejected the runt of the litter, & the staff called me
to ask if I would allow him to pass away because he stood next to no
chance of pulling through. The staff discovered that he had a
condition similar to a cleft pallet, & would have been unable to feed
normally, with out gastric feeding & expensive surgery that was
unlikely to work..So I consented to allow them to let him go to
sleep... I think it was the best thing to do...

In total, Tiggy spent a full 70 hours in labour.
At one point during the night/ early hours of this morning, I got a
call to say that if the final kitten did not arrive in the next half
hour, that they wanted to proceed with a C. section. Fortunately,
Tiggy managed to get it out in the following quarter hour. Aside from
the pain she would have gone through post op, it would have been very
difficult to get her to feed her surviving four kitten.

I can only say that I am Glad that I have decided to give up breeding.
In the past four years, we have never gone through any of the problems
that we have faced recently with both Blue-Belle & Tiggy more
recently.
I don't have what it takes to force any my cats to go anything like
this ever again.
It has been a very good learning curb, & also makes me wonder how
others can go through similar circumstances, yet go on to allow that
cat to become pregnant? again....

Presently we have a litter of 4kittens, that seem fairly healthy.
One of them is slightly smaller than the other 3, but no where near as
small as the original runt..

Tiggy is going to stay with the staff at the veterinary surgery again
tonight, & depending on how well she does, she might come back to
Karen's tomorrow.
My poor little girl (or vice versa), is utterly depleted & looked at
me as if to say, "please help me"?
I believe that she is in the best place that she can be right now
though.

She is still hiding under her covers, in what I think is a very clever
attempt to keep her babes warm. The staff have helped her to clean up
a bit too, so she is looking a lot better than she was yesterday.. but
I still feel for her. At least if she needs assistance during the
night, she has all the help that she could possibly need.
I have just come back from visiting her, & Karen brought round the
photos that we took of her whilst she was having them. I thought that
would be too dark to post, but, she has worked her magic on them &
whilst they are not of usual standard, you can @ least make out what
is what.

With colour point kittens, you have to wait until they grow enough fur
around their ankles to be able to determine what colours they will be.

First their nose leathers & ears begin to tinge, then you can see what
colours they will become as the ankle fur grows too. All that I can
tell you presently is that we have one very dark seal kitten, because
the fur is very dark indeed. I am not sure what sex they are either as
yet, because the genitalia are still fairly swollen.
I can't thank the staff @ the new surgery enough, because they have
been there day & night with up to date information & don't mind what
time you call them at all.

Here are a few photos of her for you all to share with us

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/TiggySKittens

22brix
March 17th 07, 07:32 PM
Hi Sheelagh,

You've been through the wringer again. I'm so sorry that two of them didn't
make it. I hope Tiggy can now enjoy being mommy kitty--she looks exhausted
in the photos! I didn't realize how pink they'd be at birth. I've had a
variety of color-pointed cats but never seen them as tiny newborns!

One of my cats used to hide under her "blankie" at the vets--they'd had to
look twice to find her! I think she thought if they couldn't see her they'd
leave her alone--didn't work, poor thing!

I truly hope you get to enjoy these kittens--they are beautiful babies as is
Tiggy!

Bonnie

Lynne
March 17th 07, 08:09 PM
Sheelagh, what an awful ordeal! I'm so glad you got Tiggy to the vet when
you did or things could have been so much worse. I'm sorry about the two
you lost, but so glad Tiggy and the other kittens are okay. ENJOY THEM.

--
Lynne

mlbriggs
March 17th 07, 10:19 PM
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:15:21 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

> [...]
> has worked her magic on them & whilst they are not of usual standard, you
> can @ least make out what is what.
>
> With colour point kittens, you have to wait until they grow enough fur
> around their ankles to be able to determine what colours they will be.
>
> First their nose leathers & ears begin to tinge, then you can see what
> colours they will become as the ankle fur grows too. All that I can tell
> you presently is that we have one very dark seal kitten, because the fur
> is very dark indeed. I am not sure what sex they are either as yet,
> because the genitalia are still fairly swollen. I can't thank the staff @
> the new surgery enough, because they have been there day & night with up
> to date information & don't mind what time you call them at all.
>
> Here are a few photos of her for you all to share with us

Poor baby -- my heart aches for her suffering. Purrs that she will heal
quickly and be able to raise her last litter and enjoy them. You have
done an admirable job taking care of her. Best wishes. MLB

Wendy
March 19th 07, 02:11 PM
Congratulations!

Still waiting here :o(

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL368/7336757/14147094/239009957.jpg

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
> Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
> in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...
>
> After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
> 4kittens.
> The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
> when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
> I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
> Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..
>
> The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
> fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
> delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
> relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
> of the litter.. now that was shocking!!
>
> I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
> suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
> something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
> her big Igloo.
>
> Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
> third kitty...
> Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.
>
> I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
> shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
> encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
> of the placenta's afterwards.
>
> However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
> be...?!!)
>
> 3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
> I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
> one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.
>
> We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
> bit sprightly today.
> I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
> my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
> seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)
>
> More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
> Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
> S;o)

sheelagh
March 19th 07, 04:33 PM
On 19 Mar, 13:11, "Wendy" > wrote:
> Congratulations!
>
> Still waiting here :o(

I hope that they arrive soon.
Tiggy is still in the clinic on antibiotics because she still has a
high raised white count & they are also quite concerned that her
temperature is also quite high.

All of her kittens have been passed on to a host lactating queen, very
kindly organised by the the Cat Protection League, so that she doesn't
have to feed them as well.

This decision was taken last night. It wasn't an ideal choice, but
because Tiggy is so lethargic, it seemed sensible to allow her another
24-48 hours to heal without the responsibility of caring for her
kittens as well.

I voiced my concern, which is that I am worride that Tiggy's milk
might dry up, but I have been told that this is not a prime concern
for them. it is looking more and more likely that we are headed for
another pyometra arising again.

So...., things are not too Rosy in the garden presently.
I have just been to visit both Tiggy & her kittens.
The kittens seem to be doing quite well, but poor old Tigs is looking
very sorry for herself.
If there is no improvement by tonight, they are going to take her to
operate, & remove her uterus. This would have happened anyway after
the kittens left her. However, now is not the best time, but due to
circumstances, I would agree with them, without question! The staff @
the clinic have been fabulous, & so different to when Lilly was
treated for the same thing at the original clinic. Nothing is too much
for them, & they keep us so well informed too. Brilliant!
I very much hope that your baby's turn up quite soon, & that you
don't face the same difficulties that we have recently.
Another damned good reason not to breed cats!
Sheelagh

cybercat
March 19th 07, 04:34 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
> Congratulations!
>
> Still waiting here :o(
>
> http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL368/7336757/14147094/239009957.jpg

awwww, poor mommy!

zinzee
March 19th 07, 06:22 PM
On Mar 19, 11:33 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:

> So...., things are not too Rosy in the garden presently.
> I have just been to visit both Tiggy & her kittens.
> The kittens seem to be doing quite well, but poor old Tigs is looking
> very sorry for herself.
> If there is no improvement by tonight, they are going to take her to
> operate, & remove her uterus. This would have happened anyway after
> the kittens left her. However, now is not the best time, but due to
> circumstances, I would agree with them, without question! The staff @
> the clinic have been fabulous, & so different to when Lilly was
> treated for the same thing at the original clinic. Nothing is too much
> for them, & they keep us so well informed too. Brilliant!
> I very much hope that your baby's turn up quite soon, & that you
> don't face the same difficulties that we have recently.
> Another damned good reason not to breed cats!
> Sheelagh

Oh wow!! We are sending purrs Tiggy's way. Is there a chance that
she would reject the kittens after being under another queen's care?
I guess the main issue is to make sure they all pull through this.
Stay strong!

All the best,
Heather

sheelagh
March 19th 07, 06:45 PM

> Oh wow!! We are sending purrs Tiggy's way. Is there a chance that
> she would reject the kittens after being under another queen's care?
> I guess the main issue is to make sure they all pull through this.
> Stay strong!
>
> All the best,
> Heather- Hide quoted text -

I have to admit that I am very worride that she might.

The host queen has accepted them all thankfully...
If it is the case that Tiggy does reject them, then I guess the best
thing to do would be to leave them with the present queen, who happens
to be a tabby cat with 2 kittens of her own, called Tahnee.

She seems to be a very caring mother & has accepted them all with no
problems.
We stroked the mother around her scent glands then rubbed her blanket
over the kittens, & she just accepted them.
I am soooo relieved about that. It was my ultimate nightmare that she
might not.

Tiggy is having her operation in about an hours time because she is
now quite poorly.
Again, it looks similar to pyometra.
To be struck by pyometra once is bad luck, but to have it twice, is
telling me that I made the right decision giving up breeding!
The difference is that this time, I have no worry about Tiggy's care,
& I can get an update 27/7 if I want one too.

I am dreading another hefty bill, but it goes with the territory.
Thankfully I have help with this bill from a society called the PDSA
(peoples dispensary for sick animals )

I am a fool. I got the renewal form to re insure them just over 6
weeks ago & didn't sort it out in time, so I deserve whats coming.
>From what I can work out though, it should end up costing me just over
200 personally.($400ish.)

All that really matters though, is that she is ok (Tiggy!), & that the
mother caring for the kittens is fine with the kittens.

I will give them a hefty charitable donation , to both the owner of
the cat, & also to the lady who's cat has taken the kittens on too.
It is the least I can do after helping us out in our desperate hour of
need.
They really have been good to us, & once the kittens are near to
weaning, we will start looking for the right/ appropriate slaves for
them.

Thanks very much for the regards too, they are very much apprecited
right now
S;o)

Lynne
March 20th 07, 12:48 AM
Holy ****, Sheelagh! This is a nightmare!! I'm so sorry Tiggy's doing so
poorly, but very relieved a lactating queen was found who accepted the
kittens.

My inexperienced suggestion is to leave the kittens with the adopted queen
and let Tiggy heal from her surgery without the added stress of nursing
kittens. It won't be good for her to have to produce milk AND care for the
kittens. If you move them from the other queen and Tiggy can't nurse them
successfully, you run the risk of the other queen rejecting them. Right
now, if they are thriving in her care, I would leave well enough alone and
focus on getting Tiggy better.

Please let us know how she fares and also how the kittens are doing.

I'm so sorry you have had to go through yet another crisis. I really can't
imagine the stress you must be feeling!

22brix
March 20th 07, 02:54 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Sheelagh,

I hope Tiggy heals soon--hopefully with the spay and antibiotics she'll
start feeling better soon. She sounds like she's at the right place. I
agree with the other posters--it's probably be best for her kittens to stay
with the nursing mom. I'm glad you were able to find a surrogate mom cat!
Sheelagh, you have really been through some horrible experiences with your
cats. I hope this will be the last crisis for a long long long time and you
can enjoy your gorgeous cats.

Sending healing thoughts, purrs and headbutts Tiggy's way!

Bonnie

Wendy
March 20th 07, 04:22 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 19 Mar, 13:11, "Wendy" > wrote:
>> Congratulations!
>>
>> Still waiting here :o(
>>

> I hope that they arrive soon.
> Tiggy is still in the clinic on antibiotics because she still has a
> high raised white count & they are also quite concerned that her
> temperature is also quite high.
>
> All of her kittens have been passed on to a host lactating queen, very
> kindly organised by the the Cat Protection League, so that she doesn't
> have to feed them as well.
>
> This decision was taken last night. It wasn't an ideal choice, but
> because Tiggy is so lethargic, it seemed sensible to allow her another
> 24-48 hours to heal without the responsibility of caring for her
> kittens as well.
>
> Sheelagh

I hope your Tiggy is ok and starts feeling better after her surgery.

My girl is still waiting. We're going to call the vet tomorrow and see how
long we should wait for her to start labor. He had told us to expect kittens
last Thursday.

sheelagh
March 20th 07, 02:22 PM
On 19 Mar, 23:48, Lynne > wrote:
> Holy ****, Sheelagh! This is a nightmare!! I'm so sorry Tiggy's doing so
> poorly, but very relieved a lactating queen was found who accepted the
> kittens.

I know!! We have never had such a bad time of it.....

In all of the years that we have had cats
( which is at least the last 22 years), I can't ever remember
stumbling from crisis to crisis as we have recently. I can only hope
that this will be an end to it all...

I've reached the stage where I am grateful that they are all spayed
now. At least we will never have these sort of problems ever again.
Frankly, I wouldn't want to cope with it again because it puts you on
to a roller coaster of emotions. Horrible!
I can't believe that we found such an obliging queen either. I think
we were very lucky indeed!!

> My inexperienced suggestion is to leave the kittens with the adopted queen
> and let Tiggy heal from her surgery without the added stress of nursing
> kittens. It won't be good for her to have to produce milk AND care for the
> kittens. If you move them from the other queen and Tiggy can't nurse them
> successfully, you run the risk of the other queen rejecting them. Right
> now, if they are thriving in her care, I would leave well enough alone and
> focus on getting Tiggy better.

I agree with you about the lactating queen. It seems silly to move
them when they are fine where they are.

Tahnee seems quite happy to have them all. She pins the to the floor
and baths them all, then empties their bladders & feaces, & when she
is satisfied that they are clean enough for her liking, then she
allows it to suckle, & she goes on to the next kitten.

Also I am ever so lucky to have found a queen that has accepted them
so readily, so I would be a fool to upset the boat whilst the going is
good. It seems far more sensible to leave them where they are safe,
loved & cared for by their foster mummy.

Tiggy is looking a bit more alert this morning, her white count has
come down & she remains on a drip because she is still slightly
dehydrated. I think that they will be taking that down later today
though. We are hoping that she should be able to come home tomorrow,
on oral antibiotics that we have to continue giving her for a week I
think.
Once she does come home, we are going to segregate her from the other
cats for a couple of days so that she has the recuperation time that
she needs to get over this.
Poor old Tiggy, she looks like she doesn't know what has hit her!
I am so relieved that we are over the worst bit ( I hope!!)

> Please let us know how she fares and also how the kittens are doing.

Of course I will...

> I'm so sorry you have had to go through yet another crisis. I really can't
> imagine the stress you must be feeling!

These things happen Lynne, don't they?

We have had many trouble free years with our cats, so I guess it is
only to be expected that now and again you get some bad times, & ours
have just hit us like a hammer, head on!!
I don't think I could have carried on breeding even if I had wanted
to..
I couldn't cope with the stress of it all.

Both Paul & I sat down last night & worked out how much this would
have cost us if we had decided to settle for damage limitation, &
continued to breed.
We figure it would have cost us 1,500 ( Around $3000). That is one
hell of a lot of money to absorb, isn't it?
By choosing not to continue, it will cost us in the region of 800
instead.
As long as the kittens continue to thrive, we can absorb that amount &
still share 50% of the profit of selling them with the family & the
organisation that helped us out through this difficult time, in our
time of desperate need too.
S;o)

sheelagh
March 20th 07, 03:05 PM
On 20 Mar, 01:54, "22brix" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> Sheelagh,
>
> I hope Tiggy heals soon--hopefully with the spay and antibiotics she'll
> start feeling better soon. She sounds like she's at the right place. I
> agree with the other posters--it's probably be best for her kittens to stay
> with the nursing mom. I'm glad you were able to find a surrogate mom cat!
> Sheelagh, you have really been through some horrible experiences with your
> cats. I hope this will be the last crisis for a long long long time and you
> can enjoy your gorgeous cats.
>
> Sending healing thoughts, purrs and headbutts Tiggy's way!
>
> Bonnie

Thank you for your good wishes unflinching support. It is appreciated
very much indeed Bonnie.

I do feel like I have been through the mangle recently, But I am
hoping that this will be an end to it now. (Bar other common
ailments.!)
You might have read the earlier post to Lynne in which I agree that
she is in the best place, & that the kittens should remain where they
are too.
It would be sheer madness to move them now that we have found a very
obliging queen.

I wouldn't imagine (going by my own cats), that it is not easy to
find such an obliging foster mummy, so I intend to make full use of
her kind nature & wonderful help.
I have tried hand rearing several times, & it is one of the hardest
jobs to do in the world, especially on kittens this young. You
constantly run the risk of infection via feeding bottles and formula
as well as the added problem of not drowning them on the milk too (if
it goes down the esophagus, you re done!!)
So many thanks are in order to this mummy's slave for allowing us to
use her queen.
It look ever so strange watching a tabby feeding and washing little
white mice..I will take some photos of them all next time I visit them
to share with you all.
Hopefully, Tiggy will be home tomorrow, so I will have some nursing of
a different nature to do myself!
S;o)

sheelagh
March 20th 07, 03:08 PM
On 20 Mar, 03:22, "Wendy" > wrote:

> I hope your Tiggy is ok and starts feeling better after her surgery.
>
> My girl is still waiting. We're going to call the vet tomorrow and see how
> long we should wait for her to start labor. He had told us to expect kittens
> last Thursday.
>
> W- -
Wow, that is a touch overdue, isn't it?
Please let me know how you get on once you get back from the
vets,won't you?
Many Thanks,
Sheelagh

zinzee
March 20th 07, 03:14 PM
On Mar 19, 1:45 pm, "sheelagh" > wrote:
<snip>
> Tiggy is having her operation in about an hours time because she is
> now quite poorly.
> Again, it looks similar to pyometra.
> To be struck by pyometra once is bad luck, but to have it twice, is
> telling me that I made the right decision giving up breeding!
> The difference is that this time, I have no worry about Tiggy's care,
> & I can get an update 27/7 if I want one too.

How did the operation go??

<snip>

> Thanks very much for the regards too, they are very much apprecited
> right now
> S;o)

Of course! The whole gang is in our thoughts. Send us pictures of
the host mom if you get a chance! I'd like to see the mixed
family. ;-)

-Heather

22brix
March 20th 07, 03:21 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 20 Mar, 01:54, "22brix" > wrote:
>> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> Sheelagh,
>>
>> I hope Tiggy heals soon--hopefully with the spay and antibiotics she'll
>> start feeling better soon. She sounds like she's at the right place. I
>> agree with the other posters--it's probably be best for her kittens to
>> stay
>> with the nursing mom. I'm glad you were able to find a surrogate mom cat!
>> Sheelagh, you have really been through some horrible experiences with
>> your
>> cats. I hope this will be the last crisis for a long long long time and
>> you
>> can enjoy your gorgeous cats.
>>
>> Sending healing thoughts, purrs and headbutts Tiggy's way!
>>
>> Bonnie
>
> Thank you for your good wishes unflinching support. It is appreciated
> very much indeed Bonnie.
>
> I do feel like I have been through the mangle recently, But I am
> hoping that this will be an end to it now. (Bar other common
> ailments.!)
> You might have read the earlier post to Lynne in which I agree that
> she is in the best place, & that the kittens should remain where they
> are too.
> It would be sheer madness to move them now that we have found a very
> obliging queen.
>
> I wouldn't imagine (going by my own cats), that it is not easy to
> find such an obliging foster mummy, so I intend to make full use of
> her kind nature & wonderful help.
> I have tried hand rearing several times, & it is one of the hardest
> jobs to do in the world, especially on kittens this young. You
> constantly run the risk of infection via feeding bottles and formula
> as well as the added problem of not drowning them on the milk too (if
> it goes down the esophagus, you re done!!)
> So many thanks are in order to this mummy's slave for allowing us to
> use her queen.
> It look ever so strange watching a tabby feeding and washing little
> white mice..I will take some photos of them all next time I visit them
> to share with you all.
> Hopefully, Tiggy will be home tomorrow, so I will have some nursing of
> a different nature to do myself!
> S;o)

I think that is wonderful! I'm just sorry that you're not able to have them
underfeet so to speak! I imagine you'll be delighted to get Tiggy home. I
know for myself I'm always glad when I can tend to them on my own. And the
cats do much better at home as well. Do you plan on keeping any of Tiggy's
kittens for yourself?

Speaking of a tabby nursing your little white babies, I have two of three
kittens (adults by now) that were from the same litter--the mother was a
dark tortie, one of the kittens was a tabby with some white on her paws, one
is another tortie but lighter than her mom and then, voila, we have one long
haired, bob tailed seal point male cat! Chunkier build than the others,
gorgeous big baby blues. Like some little alien or changeling. I love cat
genetics.

Hoping you get a full night of sleep one of these nights!

Bonnie

cindys
March 20th 07, 07:44 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Tiggy is having her operation in about an hours time because she is
now quite poorly.
Again, it looks similar to pyometra.
To be struck by pyometra once is bad luck, but to have it twice, is
telling me that I made the right decision giving up breeding!
The difference is that this time, I have no worry about Tiggy's care,
& I can get an update 27/7 if I want one too.

----------------
Sheelagh, I haven't been following this thread at all (I guess I was too
busy worrying about Alex and focusing on the girl who was going to buy
another kitten and have it declawed). I jumped into the middle to read that
Tiggy might have pyometra. I can't believe this is happening to poor Tiggy!
You and Tiggy certainly have purrs and headbutts coming your way from. Since
I jumped into the middle of this thread, I am posting before having read the
updates and more recent posts. I hope everything is okay.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Wendy
March 21st 07, 03:31 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 20 Mar, 03:22, "Wendy" > wrote:
>
>> I hope your Tiggy is ok and starts feeling better after her surgery.
>>
>> My girl is still waiting. We're going to call the vet tomorrow and see
>> how
>> long we should wait for her to start labor. He had told us to expect
>> kittens
>> last Thursday.
>>
>> W- -
> Wow, that is a touch overdue, isn't it?
> Please let me know how you get on once you get back from the
> vets,won't you?
> Many Thanks,
> Sheelagh

She had me worried today. She had a discharge this morning and then nothing.
We got a call into the vet who had examined her when she first came in and
set the due date and they said give it till tomorrow. She finally started
delivering them around 5:00 pm and had the 4th one a little while ago. I
posted pictures in another post. All seem to be doing well. whew!

March 21st 07, 03:48 AM
"Wendy" > wrote >

All seem to be doing well. whew!

Are there four or five? It's hard to tell.

Wendy
March 21st 07, 04:08 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Wendy" > wrote >
>
> All seem to be doing well. whew!
>>

> Are there four or five? It's hard to tell.

four. That's what the vet said to expect and she's acting like she's done. I
felt her stomach and it feels like there's no more in there.

zinzee
March 21st 07, 12:58 PM
On Mar 20, 9:22 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
<snip>

> We have had many trouble free years with our cats, so I guess it is
> only to be expected that now and again you get some bad times, & ours
> have just hit us like a hammer, head on!!
<snip>

I feel that! I'm very fortunate to have had animals all my life and
have never faced anything like this. My cat that I adopted while
still at home with my mom (at the age of 11, I believe) remains with
her because that's where she's most comfortable. She was adopted as
feral and didn't take kindly to becoming an indoor-only cat (I tried
it). Since I've lived in densely populated areas it was extra unsafe
to let her come and go as she pleases. A few years ago she was hit by
a car and her right hind leg was crushed. The vet allowed us to put a
cast on it but gave us little hope with prognosis. Well, she's a
fighter and only has to slightest limp to this day (and no shown signs
of pain)!

Recently my mom and dad, out in California, adopted another Golden
(Jake). Jake had been living with a family at the condo next to my
sister's. Apparently he was given little to no attention. At times,
he was allowed to run wild next to a very busy street. I've been told
that he had a sporadic supply of food and water. Neighbors had been
documenting everything they saw as animal control told them those were
the steps that needed to be taken. My sister approached the owner
numerous times, who recently had her husband leave her and has a
newborn baby, asking her to please let her take the dog into her
care. She promised to get Jake a loving home. A few months ago, the
lady knocked on her door and finally agreed. My sister convinced my
parents to take him in. He is such a doll but came to my mom
dehydrated and we later found out he had a tapeworm that could be
spread to humans! Anyhow, he had a few health problems, but I am so
happy to report that a few weeks ago his test came back as negative
for the tapeworm!! He is a doll and has come so far in terms of
behavior. He's now rarely having accidents in the house. He still
gets a bit frightened around loud noises, but is making amazing
strides.

Anyhow, sorry that turned into such a long story! My point was that
it is amazing that we had nearly 25 years of having pets without
health conditions! So really, I take it as wonderful luck and all we
can do now is deal with these health issues as best as we can. We
have to try and keep a strong head on our shoulders and just act
quickly and help them pull through!

All the best,
Heather

sheelagh
March 21st 07, 04:07 PM
On 21 Mar, 03:08, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "Wendy" > wrote >
>
> > All seem to be doing well. whew!
>
> > Are there four or five? It's hard to tell.
>
> four. That's what the vet said to expect and she's acting like she's done. I
> felt her stomach and it feels like there's no more in there.

Congratulations Wendy, you are a grandma once again :o)

I am so pleased that everything went so well for you in the end..I
know how worride you were starting to get, & I am so pleased that you
had no problems either.
Now you can sit back and enjoy as mummy takes care of them , & you get
to cuddle them and play with them. Being a grandma is great fun. mummy
does all the hard work, & you get to hand them back when they are
naughty or their nappies(diapers?) need changing...

I would love to see some photos. when you have time?
You mentioned that you had already posted some, so I had better look
1st.
had some great news... & you have.
Brilliant, & well done to mummy too of course!
That is a definite head rub & ear tickle she has earned there.
Continued purrs and best wishes,
S;o)

Wendy
March 21st 07, 11:44 PM
"zinzee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 20, 9:22 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> <snip>

He is such a doll but came to my mom
> dehydrated and we later found out he had a tapeworm that could be
> spread to humans!

> All the best,
> Heather

Tapeworm can't be transmitted directly from the cat to humans. It requires
an intermediary host. The cat acquires tapeworm from ingesting fleas or
infected mice and other rodents. You cannot get a tapeworm by contacting the
segments the cat sheds. They must be eaten by something like a flea and then
you need to eat the flea.

With few exceptions, all cestodes require at least two hosts, and the adult
is the parasite in the digestive tract of vertebrates. Often one of the
intermediate hosts is an invertebrate (most often an arthropod such as a
flea, louse or copepod) that is eaten by the final host. The eggs within
the proglottids are shed daily in the feces into the soil where they may
lie dormant for quite some time. Sometimes the egg-bearing proglottids
crawl out of the anus by themselves and can be found wriggling about on an
infected dog, cat or child or on infected clothing and bedding. Once the
eggs are released, they must be ingested by an intermediate host in order to
hatch into hooked larvae called oncospheres, which bore through the
intestinal wall and picked up by the circulatory system where they are
transported to skeletal muscle, heart or even some other organ where they
encyst as cysticerci (bladder worms). Each cysticercus is essentially an
inside-out scolex that everts after the infected tissue (so-called "measly
meat") of the intermediate host is eaten by the final host. The scolex then
attaches to the lining of the intestine by means of suckers and/or hooks.