PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Pet deaths prompt recall of pet food


Bellsouth Ijit 2.0
March 16th 07, 11:46 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070316/ap_on_he_me/pet_food_recall_4

Pet deaths prompt recall of pet food

By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer 46 minutes ago

A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway,
Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food
Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died
after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North
American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the
reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul
Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the
recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new
supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said.
Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists
of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec.
3 and March 6 throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway
Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot
numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site -
http://www.menufoods.com/recall - early Saturday. Consumers with questions
can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American
retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food
companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2
oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products
made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled
products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code
4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion
containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at
company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner
complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had
been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for
the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product,"
Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has
inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to
nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon
said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in
Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of
$26 million to $34 million.

___

On the Net:

Food and Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov/

March 17th 07, 06:38 PM
Warning!

I normally feed my cats name brand dry food. I just began to purchase
Old Roy large cans of dog food and mixed it with dry cat food.

The Old Roy canned food seems to have killed one of my cats. The
kitty was healthy and then 10 to 12 hours after eating the new moist
canned Old Roy, she got very ill and as of today, has died.

It is not possible to say that Old Roy absolutely is the cause, but
its pretty interesting to me that Old Roy is being recalled and my
healthy cat has died after eating it.

The large chicken flavored 44 cents per can Old Roy dog food is what I
fed her.

I dont know about you, but I sure wish I had known that Old Roy
products were involved in a recall. I would never have fed them to my
pets.

Melinda Shore
March 17th 07, 07:09 PM
In article om>,
> wrote:
>It is not possible to say that Old Roy absolutely is the cause, but
>its pretty interesting to me that Old Roy is being recalled and my
>healthy cat has died after eating it.

How do you know she was healthy?
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle

Matthew
March 17th 07, 07:18 PM
Cyber Google that email I would not even waste my time
&qt_s=Search+Groups

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Warning!
>
> I normally feed my cats name brand dry food. I just began to purchase
> Old Roy large cans of dog food and mixed it with dry cat food.
>
> The Old Roy canned food seems to have killed one of my cats. The
> kitty was healthy and then 10 to 12 hours after eating the new moist
> canned Old Roy, she got very ill and as of today, has died.
>
> It is not possible to say that Old Roy absolutely is the cause, but
> its pretty interesting to me that Old Roy is being recalled and my
> healthy cat has died after eating it.
>
> The large chicken flavored 44 cents per can Old Roy dog food is what I
> fed her.
>
> I dont know about you, but I sure wish I had known that Old Roy
> products were involved in a recall. I would never have fed them to my
> pets.
>
>

MaryL
March 17th 07, 07:22 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Warning!
>
> I normally feed my cats name brand dry food. I just began to purchase
> Old Roy large cans of dog food and mixed it with dry cat food.
>
> The Old Roy canned food seems to have killed one of my cats. The
> kitty was healthy and then 10 to 12 hours after eating the new moist
> canned Old Roy, she got very ill and as of today, has died.
>
> It is not possible to say that Old Roy absolutely is the cause, but
> its pretty interesting to me that Old Roy is being recalled and my
> healthy cat has died after eating it.
>
> The large chicken flavored 44 cents per can Old Roy dog food is what I
> fed her.
>
> I dont know about you, but I sure wish I had known that Old Roy
> products were involved in a recall. I would never have fed them to my
> pets.
>
>

I am so sorry to hear this -- what a tragedy. If possible, please have a
necropsy done. That is the only way you will have a definitive answer, and
you may be able to help others once your vet has the results. At a minimum,
this needs to be reported.

MaryL

cybercat
March 17th 07, 08:00 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Warning!
>
> I normally feed my cats name brand dry food. I just began to purchase
> Old Roy large cans of dog food and mixed it with dry cat food.
>

What the hell is wrong with you? Dog food is not formulated for cats.