PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUS: PET FOOD RECALL

-L.
March 17th 07, 09:12 AM
A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
not sure what is causing it yet.

Here is the complete list of cat foods:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

Dog foods:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
guidelines on the website:
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
Phone Number
1-866-895-2708

-L.

Sandy McDermin
March 17th 07, 12:26 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
> not sure what is causing it yet.
>
> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>
> Dog foods:
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>
> PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
> guidelines on the website:
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
> Phone Number
> 1-866-895-2708
>
> -L.

Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and Eukanuba,
but neither of those are mentioned in that product list. Or, am I missing
something?

Sandy

Gail Futoran
March 17th 07, 12:43 PM
"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting
>>sick
>> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they
>> are
>> not sure what is causing it yet.
>>
>> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>>
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>>
>> Dog foods:
>>
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>>
>> PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
>> guidelines on the website:
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
>> Phone Number
>> 1-866-895-2708
>>
>> -L.
>>

> Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and
> Eukanuba, but neither of those are mentioned in that product list.
> Or, am I missing something?
>
> Sandy

I heard the same thing. The Eukanuba brand
is one of the brands I feed my cats, so it
would be good to know if the reporting was
in error.

Gail F.

MaryL
March 17th 07, 01:04 PM
"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
>> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
>> not sure what is causing it yet.
>>
>> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>>
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>>
>> Dog foods:
>>
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>>
>> PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
>> guidelines on the website:
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
>> Phone Number
>> 1-866-895-2708
>>
>> -L.
>>

> Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and
> Eukanuba, but neither of those are mentioned in that product list. Or, am
> I missing something?
>
> Sandy

Also: The original news reports talked about Kroger, Safeway, and WalMart
brands, but they are not listed. In my opinion, the supplier did a *very
poor* job of informing people. There was a delay in getting out any
information, and now it is listed by each store -- but there is no
easily-searchable source for each brand.

MaryL

Sandy McDermin
March 17th 07, 01:19 PM

> "Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
>>> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
>>> not sure what is causing it yet.
>>>
>>> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>>>
>>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>>>
>>> Dog foods:
>>>
>>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>>>
>>> PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
>>> guidelines on the website:
>>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
>>> Phone Number
>>> 1-866-895-2708
>>>
>>> -L.
>>>

>> Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and
>> Eukanuba, but neither of those are mentioned in that product list. Or, am
>> I missing something?
>>
>> Sandy
>>

> Also: The original news reports talked about Kroger, Safeway, and WalMart
> brands, but they are not listed. In my opinion, the supplier did a *very
> poor* job of informing people. There was a delay in getting out any
> information, and now it is listed by each store -- but there is no
> easily-searchable source for each brand.
>
> MaryL

Well, the other article on this newsgroup, posted by Bellsouth, has info
about IAMS and Eukanuba with product and factory codes, and I just want to
know if that's all I have to know about those two. I have a few IAMS pouches
and they don't fall into the range of those numbers. Plus, I've already fed
my cats one of those pouches a couple of days ago and all is well.

Sandy

March 17th 07, 01:47 PM
Purina to Voluntarily Withdraw Mighty Dog(R) 5.3 Ounce Pouch Products

No other Purina products affected

ST. LOUIS, March 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Nestle Purina PetCare Company
today
announced that as a precautionary measure, it is voluntarily
withdrawing
its 5.3 ounce Mighty Dog(R) brand pouch products that were produced by
Menu
Foods, Inc. from December 3, 2006 through March 14, 2007. This
withdrawal
is in response to the recall initiated earlier today by Menu Foods, a
contract manufacturer that does limited business with Purina as well
as
with other pet food manufacturers. Only Mighty Dog 5.3 ounce pouch
products
are being withdrawn by Nestle Purina, including those pouches
contained in
multi-packs. Importantly, no Mighty Dog canned products, or any other
Purina products are affected by Menu's recall.
While Purina has no indication of any product quality or safety
issues
specifically related to our Mighty Dog pouch products, Purina is
taking
this proactive action out of an abundance of caution in response to
the
Menu Foods recall.
Consumers who have the indicated Mighty Dog 5.3 ounce pouch
products
should discontinue feeding them to their dogs and can receive the full
replacement value of the withdrawn products by calling 1-800-551-7392.
The Mighty Dog pouch products and pouches in multi-pack cartons
have
code dates of 6337 through 7073, followed by the plant code 1798. This
information is located on the bottom or back panel of the pouches or
cartons. Specifically, if the code following the "Use By" date begins
with
four numbers from 6337 to 7073 followed by the plant code 1798, then
the
pouch is included in this voluntary withdrawal.
Purina regrets any inconvenience and apologizes for any concern
caused
by this product withdrawal. The Company will continue to take any and
all
actions necessary to ensure the quality and safety of our products.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-16-2007/0004547959&EDATE=
__._,_.___

mariib via CatKB.com
March 17th 07, 02:47 PM
Sophistacat is a canned cat food brand carried by Wal-Mart in Canada & is
listed on the recall website
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
M.

MaryL wrote:
>>>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
>>> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
>[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]
>>
>> Sandy
>
>Also: The original news reports talked about Kroger, Safeway, and WalMart
>brands, but they are not listed. In my opinion, the supplier did a *very
>poor* job of informing people. There was a delay in getting out any
>information, and now it is listed by each store -- but there is no
>easily-searchable source for each brand.
>
>MaryL

Matthew
March 17th 07, 05:32 PM
Mary special kitty is Wal-Mart brand

> "Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
>>> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
>>> not sure what is causing it yet.
>>>
>>> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>>>
>>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>>>
>>> Dog foods:
>>>
>>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>>>
>>> PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
>>> guidelines on the website:
>>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
>>> Phone Number
>>> 1-866-895-2708
>>>
>>> -L.
>>>

>> Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and
>> Eukanuba, but neither of those are mentioned in that product list. Or, am
>> I missing something?
>>
>> Sandy
>>

> Also: The original news reports talked about Kroger, Safeway, and WalMart
> brands, but they are not listed. In my opinion, the supplier did a *very
> poor* job of informing people. There was a delay in getting out any
> information, and now it is listed by each store -- but there is no
> easily-searchable source for each brand.
>
> MaryL

Matthew
March 17th 07, 05:32 PM
You have to read it is says marketed under which means a generic brand
"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
>> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
>> not sure what is causing it yet.
>>
>> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>>
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>>
>> Dog foods:
>>
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>>
>> PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
>> guidelines on the website:
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
>> Phone Number
>> 1-866-895-2708
>>
>> -L.
>>

> Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and
> Eukanuba, but neither of those are mentioned in that product list. Or, am
> I missing something?
>
> Sandy

Lynne
March 17th 07, 06:30 PM
on Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:12:21 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I was surprised to see Nutro on the list.

I'm so glad I switched my boys to Innova Evo before this happened. They
were both getting Nutro (wet and dry)! I would be beside myself with anger
and grief if something happened to them. I feel just awful for everyone
who has been impacted by this.

--
Lynne

cybercat
March 17th 07, 07:12 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
> not sure what is causing it yet.
>
> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

I was surprised to see Nutro on the list.

Lis
March 17th 07, 10:33 PM
On Mar 17, 8:26 am, "Sandy McDermin" > wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
> > and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
> > not sure what is causing it yet.
>
> > Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>
> >http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>
> > Dog foods:
>
> >http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>
> > PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
> > guidelines on the website:
> >http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
> > Phone Number
> > 1-866-895-2708
>
> > -L.
>
> Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and Eukanuba,
> but neither of those are mentioned in that product list. Or, am I missing
> something?

The list has apparently been updated; Iams and Eukanuba are there now,
although they weren't when I looked earlier today.

Lis

Sandy McDermin
March 18th 07, 12:29 AM
"Lis" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 17, 8:26 am, "Sandy McDermin" > wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> >A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
>> > and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
>> > not sure what is causing it yet.
>>
>> > Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>>
>> >http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>>
>> > Dog foods:
>>
>> >http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>>
>> > PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
>> > guidelines on the website:
>> >http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
>> > Phone Number
>> > 1-866-895-2708
>>
>> > -L.
>>
>> Odd. CNN is reporting that two of the brands affected are IAMS and
>> Eukanuba,
>> but neither of those are mentioned in that product list. Or, am I missing
>> something?
>>

> The list has apparently been updated; Iams and Eukanuba are there now,
> although they weren't when I looked earlier today.
>
> Lis

Thank you. I clicked on the link associated with each brand name and
examined the numbers, and it seems that the three pouches and one can I have
are not within the range of numbers being recalled by Iams or Nutro Max
Gourmet Classics. Hopefully they don't add more brands to their list because
I just went to my local Petco today and they were taking a slew of items off
the shelves left and right. I asked the young man to check my basket and he
said he thought what I had was fine. (I made sure none of the products I was
purchasing were brands listed, so I'm having to try new cat food and not
buying some of my old brands.) Maybe my kitties will find new favorites.

Sandy
Recalled Cat Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708
1.. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
2.. Authority
3.. Best Choice
4.. Companion
5.. Compliments
6.. Demoulas Market Basket
7.. Eukanuba
8.. Fine Feline Cat
9.. Food Lion
10.. Foodtown
11.. Giant Companion
12.. Hannaford
13.. Hill Country Fare
14.. Hy-Vee
15.. Iams
16.. Key Food
17.. Laura Lynn
18.. Li'l Red
19.. Loving Meals
20.. Meijer's Main Choice
21.. Nutriplan
22.. Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
23.. Nutro Natural Choice
24.. Paws
25.. Pet Pride
26.. Presidents Choice
27.. Price Chopper
28.. Priority
29.. Save-A-Lot
30.. Schnucks
31.. Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans
32.. Sophistacat
33.. Special Kitty Canada
34.. Special Kitty US
35.. Springfield Prize
36.. Sprout
37.. Total Pet, My True Friend
38.. Wegmans
39.. Western Family
40.. White Rose
41.. Winn Dixie

Stacey Weinberger
March 18th 07, 03:36 AM
Do you have the range of numbers? The iams site seems to be down right now.
From what I saw on a PDF it was the cuts and gravy and flake varieties,
neither of which I have, but I want to make sure, just in case.

Thanks,

Stacey

> Thank you. I clicked on the link associated with each brand name and
> examined the numbers, and it seems that the three pouches and one can I
> have are not within the range of numbers being recalled by Iams or Nutro
> Max Gourmet Classics. Hopefully they don't add more brands to their list
> because I just went to my local Petco today and they were taking a slew of
> items off the shelves left and right. I asked the young man to check my
> basket and he said he thought what I had was fine. (I made sure none of
> the products I was purchasing were brands listed, so I'm having to try new
> cat food and not buying some of my old brands.) Maybe my kitties will find
> new favorites.
>
> Sandy

Sandy McDermin
March 18th 07, 04:01 PM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> Do you have the range of numbers? The iams site seems to be down right
> now. From what I saw on a PDF it was the cuts and gravy and flake
> varieties, neither of which I have, but I want to make sure, just in case.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stacey
>
>> Thank you. I clicked on the link associated with each brand name and
>> examined the numbers, and it seems that the three pouches and one can I
>> have are not within the range of numbers being recalled by Iams or Nutro
>> Max Gourmet Classics. Hopefully they don't add more brands to their list
>> because I just went to my local Petco today and they were taking a slew
>> of items off the shelves left and right. I asked the young man to check
>> my basket and he said he thought what I had was fine. (I made sure none
>> of the products I was purchasing were brands listed, so I'm having to try
>> new cat food and not buying some of my old brands.) Maybe my kitties will
>> find new favorites.
>>
>> Sandy

*******
No, I didn't keep the numbers, nor the varieties involved, and I can't get
back on the site either. But, I believe the range was the same that was
posted in the article from the thread above this one, labeled: FYI: Pet
deaths prompt recall of pet foods.

The article said the range from the IAMS pouches was:

"P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2
oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products
made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled
products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code
4197, P&G said."

Sandy

Stacey Weinberger
March 18th 07, 04:26 PM
> "Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
> thlink.net...
>> Do you have the range of numbers? The iams site seems to be down right
>> now. From what I saw on a PDF it was the cuts and gravy and flake
>> varieties, neither of which I have, but I want to make sure, just in
>> case.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Stacey
>>
>>> Thank you. I clicked on the link associated with each brand name and
>>> examined the numbers, and it seems that the three pouches and one can I
>>> have are not within the range of numbers being recalled by Iams or Nutro
>>> Max Gourmet Classics. Hopefully they don't add more brands to their list
>>> because I just went to my local Petco today and they were taking a slew
>>> of items off the shelves left and right. I asked the young man to check
>>> my basket and he said he thought what I had was fine. (I made sure none
>>> of the products I was purchasing were brands listed, so I'm having to
>>> try new cat food and not buying some of my old brands.) Maybe my kitties
>>> will find new favorites.
>>>
>>> Sandy
>>

> *******
> No, I didn't keep the numbers, nor the varieties involved, and I can't get
> back on the site either. But, I believe the range was the same that was
> posted in the article from the thread above this one, labeled: FYI: Pet
> deaths prompt recall of pet foods.
>
> The article said the range from the IAMS pouches was:
>
> "P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and
> 13.2
> oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products
> made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The
> recalled
> products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant
> code
> 4197, P&G said."
>
> Sandy

All that thread is about is someone who fed her cat dog food and it died.
Is there another thread I'm missing?

Thank you!!

Stacey

Sandy McDermin
March 18th 07, 05:02 PM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...
>> "Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
>> thlink.net...
>>> Do you have the range of numbers? The iams site seems to be down right
>>> now. From what I saw on a PDF it was the cuts and gravy and flake
>>> varieties, neither of which I have, but I want to make sure, just in
>>> case.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Stacey

>> *******
>> No, I didn't keep the numbers, nor the varieties involved, and I can't
>> get back on the site either. But, I believe the range was the same that
>> was posted in the article from the thread above this one, labeled: FYI:
>> Pet deaths prompt recall of pet foods.
>>
>> The article said the range from the IAMS pouches was:
>>
>> "P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and
>> 13.2
>> oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products
>> made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The
>> recalled
>> products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant
>> code
>> 4197, P&G said."
>>
>> Sandy
>
> All that thread is about is someone who fed her cat dog food and it died.
> Is there another thread I'm missing?
>
> Thank you!!
>
> Stacey

*****

Ah, yeah, this first post:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070316/ap_on_he_me/pet_food_recall_4

Pet deaths prompt recall of pet food

By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer 46 minutes ago

A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway,
Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food
Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died
after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North
American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the
reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul
Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the
recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new
supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said.
Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists
of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec.
3 and March 6 throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway
Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot
numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site -
http://www.menufoods.com/recall - early Saturday. Consumers with questions
can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American
retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food
companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2
oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products
made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled
products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code
4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion
containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at
company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner
complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had
been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for
the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product,"
Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has
inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to
nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon
said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in
Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of
$26 million to $34 million.

___

On the Net:

Food and Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov/

wmarcello
March 18th 07, 05:56 PM
On Mar 18, 1:01 pm, "Sandy McDermin" > wrote:
> "Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
>
> thlink.net...
>

> > Do you have the range of numbers? The iams site seems to be down right
> > now. From what I saw on a PDF it was the cuts and gravy and flake
> > varieties, neither of which I have, but I want to make sure, just in case.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Stacey
>
> >> Thank you. I clicked on the link associated with each brand name and
> >> examined the numbers, and it seems that the three pouches and one can I
> >> have are not within the range of numbers being recalled by Iams or Nutro
> >> Max Gourmet Classics. Hopefully they don't add more brands to their list
> >> because I just went to my local Petco today and they were taking a slew
> >> of items off the shelves left and right. I asked the young man to check
> >> my basket and he said he thought what I had was fine. (I made sure none
> >> of the products I was purchasing were brands listed, so I'm having to try
> >> new cat food and not buying some of my old brands.) Maybe my kitties will
> >> find new favorites.
>
> >> Sandy
>
> *******
> No, I didn't keep the numbers, nor the varieties involved, and I can't get
> back on the site either. But, I believe the range was the same that was
> posted in the article from the thread above this one, labeled: FYI: Pet
> deaths prompt recall of pet foods.
>
> The article said the range from the IAMS pouches was:
>
> "P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2
> oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products
> made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled
> products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code
> 4197, P&G said."
>
> Sandy

This is the direct link to affected IAMS and Eukanuba products:
http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/data_root/html/product_article/ProductRecallList.htm

PawsForThought
March 18th 07, 06:50 PM
Wow, this is really scary stuff, especially since so many foods are
affected. I'm glad I don't feed commercial food, and that the treats
I give my cats occasionally are Evo. I was reading in the newspaper
that it's from the wheat gluten they add. I thought they only added
this stuff to dry food. Guess not though.

Lauren

Stacey Weinberger
March 18th 07, 07:54 PM
>> No, I didn't keep the numbers, nor the varieties involved, and I can't
>> get
>> back on the site either. But, I believe the range was the same that was
>> posted in the article from the thread above this one, labeled: FYI: Pet
>> deaths prompt recall of pet foods.
>>
>> The article said the range from the IAMS pouches was:
>>
>> "P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and
>> 13.2
>> oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products
>> made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The
>> recalled
>> products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant
>> code
>> 4197, P&G said."
>>
>> Sandy
>
> This is the direct link to affected IAMS and Eukanuba products:
> http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/data_root/html/product_article/ProductRecallList.htm

Thank you! I couldn't find this list on the iams site, even after typing in
"recall" in the search box.

I have forwarded it on.

Stacey

wmarcello
March 19th 07, 03:17 AM
On Mar 17, 6:12 am, "-L." > wrote:
> A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
> and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
> not sure what is causing it yet.
>
> Here is the complete list of cat foods:
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>
> Dog foods:
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
>
> PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
> guidelines on the website:http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf
> Phone Number
> 1-866-895-2708
>
> -L.

Does anybody know if a certain amount of this food has to be ingested
before it becomes fatal?

March 19th 07, 04:07 AM

> Does anybody know if a certain amount of thisfoodhas to be ingested
> before it becomes fatal?- Hide quoted text -

My (10.1 lb., four-year-old, otherwise healthy) cat experienced kidney
failure after consuming only three pouches of tainted food over a
period of two days. Dried vomit (containing the offending food) that I
found hidden under a table Thursday evening suggests that he began
having problems after the second pouch, at the latest.

My five-year-old 18.5 lb. male ate only one pouch (and some gravy from
a second) before refusing to eat the food. He appears healthy at this
point, but I will be taking him in tomorrow for bloodwork just to be
on the safe side.

A third cat (11 y/o 10.3 lb. female) consumed 1/3 pouch, and also
seems to be doing fine. I am monitoring her, but have been advised
that she should be OK.

That's been my experience.. it could be different for others. Because
we don't yet know what the food was contaminated with, I suppose it's
possible that some animals may have a higher tolerance to the
substance than others.

mystro
March 19th 07, 05:17 PM
On Mar 18, 11:50 am, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
> Wow, this is really scary stuff, especially since so many foods are
> affected.

Yes it is cause for concern but not panic when you consider out of the
10's of millions less then
20 pets have so been reported from what I've read..that's a relief.

mystro
March 19th 07, 05:21 PM
On Mar 18, 9:07 pm, wrote:
I suppose it's
> possible that some animals may have a higher tolerance to the
> substance than others.

I think so..it certainly applies to humans especially when you
consider we consume
contaminated food to some degree almost daily.

zinzee
March 19th 07, 05:27 PM
On Mar 17, 9:19 am, "Sandy McDermin" > wrote:

> Well, the other article on this newsgroup, posted by Bellsouth, has info
> about IAMS and Eukanuba with product and factory codes, and I just want to
> know if that's all I have to know about those two. I have a few IAMS pouches
> and they don't fall into the range of those numbers. Plus, I've already fed
> my cats one of those pouches a couple of days ago and all is well.
>
> Sandy

Sandy, I'd say it's not worth the chance. I don't support any of
their products anyhow. I only buy Wellness food for my cat. I've
gotten my mom to make the switch and I'm working on my grandma and
uncle.

Horrible news.

Cat Protector
March 19th 07, 05:27 PM
It's still a risk though. Even one cat dying is too much.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"mystro" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Yes it is cause for concern but not panic when you consider out of the
> 10's of millions less then
> 20 pets have so been reported from what I've read..that's a relief.

Cat Protector
March 19th 07, 07:53 PM
We use Blue Buffalo over here. My cats love it and won't eat anything else.
Best of all it's a healthy food for them.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

> Sandy, I'd say it's not worth the chance. I don't support any of
> their products anyhow. I only buy Wellness food for my cat. I've
> gotten my mom to make the switch and I'm working on my grandma and
> uncle.
>
> Horrible news.

mystro
March 19th 07, 07:57 PM
On Mar 19, 10:27 am, "zinzee" > wrote:
> I only buy Wellness food for my cat.

Virtually all the labels use ingredients from different sources so no
guarantee with any product even to the somewhat lesser degree
*homemade.. unless your also growing
your own veggies and meat.

wmarcello
March 19th 07, 08:28 PM
On Mar 19, 2:17 pm, "mystro" > wrote:
> On Mar 18, 11:50 am, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
>
> > Wow, this is really scary stuff, especially since so many foods are
> > affected.
>
> Yes it is cause for concern but not panic when you consider out of the
> 10's of millions less then
> 20 pets have so been reported from what I've read..that's a relief.

I am very skeptical of the low number of deaths reported. How many
people on these newsgroups have posted about losing a pet, or at least
having one severely ill because of the tainted food? The only reason
I found out about the recall is because my friend now has a cat in the
hospital with kidney failure who might not make it, and this is way up
in NB Canada. This leads me to believe it may be more widespread than
it seems.

J Coffey
March 19th 07, 10:52 PM
Leave it to the government to respond by killing more animals!
Too bad the morons doing the testing were not forced to eat the
tainted food.

Feds Tests of Suspect Pet Food Kills 7

Federal Tests of Suspect Pet Food Kills 7 Subjects, Major Recall
Underway

By ANDREW BRIDGES
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Seven animals died in tests of suspect dog and cat food
by the manufacturer after complaints the products were poisoning pets
around the country, the government said Monday.

A federal investigation is focusing on wheat gluten as the likely
source of contamination that sparked a recall last Friday of 60
million cans and pouches of the suspect food, said Stephen F. Sundlof,
the Food and Drug Administration's top veterinarian.

The ingredient, a protein source, is commonly used as filler.

Agency investigators are looking at other ingredients as well. The
wet-style pet food was made by Menu Foods, an Ontario, Canada-based
company.

Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney
failure and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. It
began new tests on Feb. 27.

During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and
cats and some seven animals the mix of species was not immediately
known died, Sundlof said. The contamination appeared more deadly to
cats than to dogs, he said.

The recall now covers dog food sold throughout North America under 51
brands and cat food sold under 40 brands, including Iams, Nutro and
Eukanuba. The food was sold under both store and major brand labels at
Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2964316

Divinorumus
March 20th 07, 09:05 AM
Someone should check that wheat gluten for Fenitrothion. I hear that
stuff can be found in wheat and gluten imported from Australia! It is
BAD for CATS, AND it is HIGHLY toxic to bees too (aren't the bees
dying also?). Others may be using Fenitrothion too in other
applications! That stuff might be in your food too, since many things
you eat contain wheat gluten possibly laced with Fenitrothion also
(FDA seems to be saying it's okay if it's mixed with flour first if
fed to humans to dilute it - ha, yummy!). Barf, huh?

dgk
March 20th 07, 12:51 PM
On 19 Mar 2007 13:28:59 -0700, "wmarcello" > wrote:

>On Mar 19, 2:17 pm, "mystro" > wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 11:50 am, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
>>
>> > Wow, this is really scary stuff, especially since so many foods are
>> > affected.
>>
>> Yes it is cause for concern but not panic when you consider out of the
>> 10's of millions less then
>> 20 pets have so been reported from what I've read..that's a relief.
>
>I am very skeptical of the low number of deaths reported. How many
>people on these newsgroups have posted about losing a pet, or at least
>having one severely ill because of the tainted food? The only reason
>I found out about the recall is because my friend now has a cat in the
>hospital with kidney failure who might not make it, and this is way up
>in NB Canada. This leads me to believe it may be more widespread than
>it seems.

I was thinking the same thing. There are maybe 150 more or less active
posters on this group. For anyone here to have this personally happen
means that it must be pretty widespread. Well, one way to check. I
called my vet. The reception people report no apparent increase in
cases but one of the vets will call back if they have anything
different to say.

mystro
March 20th 07, 09:23 PM
There are always people who seem to enjoy scaring vulnerable people!
Alerting people is one thing.

From what I've read there in no epidemic regarding this matter and it
looks like the issue is under control.. One source mentioned most pets
have very strong immune systems something most of us already know
otherwise they would never survive in the outside world or the inside,
do you really think the food they consume is sterilized..and remember,
millions of people have been feeding their pets this exact recalled
food for many months. I think this matter has been handled better then
most human incidence

Take a can of anything you feed to your pets and cans your family eats
and read the labels..if it's more then three lines.. we're all
potentially in trouble. ;)

zinzee
March 20th 07, 09:39 PM
On Mar 19, 3:57 pm, "mystro" > wrote:
> On Mar 19, 10:27 am, "zinzee" > wrote:
>
> > I only buy Wellness food for my cat.
>
> Virtually all the labels use ingredients from different sources so no
> guarantee with any product even to the somewhat lesser degree
> *homemade.. unless your also growing
> your own veggies and meat.

Understood that there are no guarantees. However, I feel it is a much
safer bet. A MUCH safer bet. Especially when once I ran out of
Wellness and forgot to purchase more. I ran to the local bodega and
purchased Friskie's. Sure, he loved it, but he ate a ton and I ran
out so quickly. He ate more, I cleaned his box more, let's just leave
it at that.

Since we've switched to canned food I think my cat's coat has gotten a
lot softer and silkier. He feels like a little bunny rabbit now! But
a bunny rabbit that doesn't leave little round turds all over my
living room.

Best,
Heather

Cat Protector
March 21st 07, 12:07 AM
Friskies is a safer bet? That food is nothing but filler and by-product.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"zinzee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Understood that there are no guarantees. However, I feel it is a much
> safer bet. A MUCH safer bet. Especially when once I ran out of
> Wellness and forgot to purchase more. I ran to the local bodega and
> purchased Friskie's. Sure, he loved it, but he ate a ton and I ran
> out so quickly. He ate more, I cleaned his box more, let's just leave
> it at that.
>
> Since we've switched to canned food I think my cat's coat has gotten a
> lot softer and silkier. He feels like a little bunny rabbit now! But
> a bunny rabbit that doesn't leave little round turds all over my
> living room.
>
> Best,
> Heather

mystro
March 21st 07, 01:15 AM
On Mar 20, 2:39 pm, "zinzee" > wrote:
> Understood that there are no guarantees. However, I feel it is a much
> safer bet. A MUCH safer bet. Especially when once I ran out of
> Wellness and forgot to purchase more. I ran to the local bodega and
> purchased Friskie's. Sure, he loved it, but he ate a ton and I ran
> out so quickly. He ate more, I cleaned his box more, let's just leave
> it at that.

My two buddies Pete and Fred have been raised on Chicken Soup for the
Cat Lovers Soul
and they seem the thrive on this dry mix but a few times a week I give
them a treat..one
small can of Fancy Feast Grilled which they never turn down but for
the most part
the dry seems to keep them in excellent all-around health and teeth
and gums pink and shiny. I was
especially happy that the vast majority of our best pals seem to be
ok..they are
tough little critters.. we sometime forget this.

zinzee
March 21st 07, 11:38 AM
On Mar 20, 9:15 pm, "mystro" > wrote:

> My two buddies Pete and Fred have been raised on Chicken Soup for the
> Cat Lovers Soul
> and they seem the thrive on this dry mix but a few times a week I give
> them a treat..one
> small can of Fancy Feast Grilled which they never turn down but for
> the most part
> the dry seems to keep them in excellent all-around health and teeth
> and gums pink and shiny. I was
> especially happy that the vast majority of our best pals seem to be
> ok..they are
> tough little critters.. we sometime forget this.

They are tough, indeed. Unfortunately some of us on this group must
medicate daily, myself included. Therefore, wet food is my only
option. I used to feed dry food daily and my cat thrived on it, as
well. He is doing well on the canned food, but I've noticed a slight
drop in weight in the transition. It hasn't been a month yet but I
think this week he seems to be gaining a bit back. I won't no for
sure until we go in to the vet for a check-up. He still looks to be
at a healthy weight with maybe only a couple of ounce of loss. I'm
thinking it could also be due to less water retention as there are
less carbohydrates in canned food. I'll discuss with the vet for a
clearer picture. ;-)

Best,
Heather

April 1st 07, 08:31 PM
On Mar 18, 12:02 pm, "Sandy McDermin" > wrote:
> [...]
> company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.
>
> Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner
> complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had
> been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for
> the sickness.
>
> "To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product,"
> Henderson said.
>
> The company alerted theFoodand Drug Administration, which already has
> inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to
> nail down brand names covered by therecall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon
> said.
>
> Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in
> Ontario, Canada.
>
> Henderson said therecallwould cost the company the Canadian equivalent of

Some people are saying that you should purchase premium dog foods and
they wouldn't be having this problem right now. I thought that
Diamond dog food was premium and still they had a problem. I am leary
of the whole dog food industry. My dogs have not been affected but
they have been on the same food for a month and its about to run out,
so I don't know what to buy now.

cybercat
April 1st 07, 09:32 PM
> wrote
>
> Some people are saying that you should purchase premium dog foods and
> they wouldn't be having this problem right now. I thought that
> Diamond dog food was premium and still they had a problem. I am leary
> of the whole dog food industry. My dogs have not been affected but
> they have been on the same food for a month and its about to run out,
> so I don't know what to buy now.

Something without WHEAT GLUTEN would be good.

Jean B.
April 2nd 07, 02:01 PM
cybercat wrote:
> > wrote
>> Some people are saying that you should purchase premium dog foods and
>> they wouldn't be having this problem right now. I thought that
>> Diamond dog food was premium and still they had a problem. I am leary
>> of the whole dog food industry. My dogs have not been affected but
>> they have been on the same food for a month and its about to run out,
>> so I don't know what to buy now.
>>

> Something without WHEAT GLUTEN would be good.

Is wheat gluten always listed as such in the ingredients? Can
it appear just as wheat? Can it be in some other ingredient,
which does not have its components spelled out?

--
Jean B.

cybercat
April 2nd 07, 02:06 PM
"Jean B." > wrote

> Is wheat gluten always listed as such in the ingredients? Can it appear
> just as wheat? Can it be in some other ingredient, which does not have
> its components spelled out?

I think they list it as wheat gluten. When you think about it,
there is no need for wheat or other grains in canned cat
food. And there is never a need to feed cats dry food,
which always has a lot of grain.

Jean B.
April 2nd 07, 02:47 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote
>> Is wheat gluten always listed as such in the ingredients? Can it appear
>> just as wheat? Can it be in some other ingredient, which does not have
>> its components spelled out?
>>

> I think they list it as wheat gluten. When you think about it,
> there is no need for wheat or other grains in canned cat
> food. And there is never a need to feed cats dry food,
> which always has a lot of grain.

I hope you are right re the listing. If so, my cats are okay.
You're right re the grains, I think--unless there is some
special dietary consideration, which makes grain consumption
advisable.

--
Jean B.

buglady
April 2nd 07, 06:10 PM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Is wheat gluten always listed as such in the ingredients? Can
> it appear just as wheat? Can it be in some other ingredient,
> which does not have its components spelled out?

.........I think they have to list it as wheat gluten according to labeling
laws. You'd have to check AAFCO specs for that, but I'm pretty sure. For
instance with ingredients listed as meat by-products they can use anything
that's available.....and cheapest at the moment. But corn and wheat is
split into different components: corn, corn gluten - wheat, wheat flour,
wheat middlings, wheat gluten ------ and I think it is required to list each
component. OTOH pet food companies are not required to change the labels
on their foods for 6 months after changing the formulation.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Luna's Mom[_2_]
April 3rd 07, 05:51 AM
buglady wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Is wheat gluten always listed as such in the ingredients? Can
>> it appear just as wheat? Can it be in some other ingredient,
>> which does not have its components spelled out?
>
> ........I think they have to list it as wheat gluten according to labeling
> laws. You'd have to check AAFCO specs for that, but I'm pretty sure. For
> instance with ingredients listed as meat by-products they can use anything
> that's available.....and cheapest at the moment. But corn and wheat is
> split into different components: corn, corn gluten - wheat, wheat flour,
> wheat middlings, wheat gluten ------ and I think it is required to list each
> component. OTOH pet food companies are not required to change the labels
> on their foods for 6 months after changing the formulation.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Some of luna's treats have wheat flour listed and that freaked me out,
just because of the word wheat.

oy vey.

Meghan Noecker
April 3rd 07, 05:59 AM
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 04:51:21 GMT, Luna's Mom > wrote:

>buglady wrote:
>> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>>> Is wheat gluten always listed as such in the ingredients? Can
>>> it appear just as wheat? Can it be in some other ingredient,
>>> which does not have its components spelled out?
>>
>> ........I think they have to list it as wheat gluten according to labeling
>> laws. You'd have to check AAFCO specs for that, but I'm pretty sure. For
>> instance with ingredients listed as meat by-products they can use anything
>> that's available.....and cheapest at the moment. But corn and wheat is
>> split into different components: corn, corn gluten - wheat, wheat flour,
>> wheat middlings, wheat gluten ------ and I think it is required to list each
>> component. OTOH pet food companies are not required to change the labels
>> on their foods for 6 months after changing the formulation.
>>
>> buglady
>> take out the dog before replying
>>

>Some of luna's treats have wheat flour listed and that freaked me out,
>just because of the word wheat.
>
>oy vey.

On one of my mailing lists, a lady lost her cat last week. Same
problem, but the cat did not eat any foods on the list. She called the
FDA and gave the food information. The lady she talked to said that
some of the companies have been substituting ingredients. I got the
impression that it wasn't allowed, just discovered during the food
testing.

Jean B.
April 4th 07, 01:16 AM
buglady wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Is wheat gluten always listed as such in the ingredients? Can
>> it appear just as wheat? Can it be in some other ingredient,
>> which does not have its components spelled out?
>
> ........I think they have to list it as wheat gluten according to labeling
> laws. You'd have to check AAFCO specs for that, but I'm pretty sure. For
> instance with ingredients listed as meat by-products they can use anything
> that's available.....and cheapest at the moment. But corn and wheat is
> split into different components: corn, corn gluten - wheat, wheat flour,
> wheat middlings, wheat gluten ------ and I think it is required to list each
> component. OTOH pet food companies are not required to change the labels
> on their foods for 6 months after changing the formulation.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

I think you're right re the listing and hope the companies
abide by that. I forgot the last part though. That
complicates things. :-(

--
Jean B.