PDA

View Full Version : Cat Food Recall

Cat Protector
March 18th 07, 03:58 AM
For those that were curious, here is a link that lists all the food brands
affected by the recall.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

Blue Buffalo Spa Select isn't listed and is not affected by the recall. I
feed that to my cats and it's not only healthy but they love it. So far,
this recall only affects canned and pouched food but I'd definately check to
see if the food you're feeding your cat is not only on the list but also
whether or not it contains wheat gluten. That seems to be one of the
ingredients that caused the most problems because some of these company
started buying from a new supplier.

Ukeluver
March 18th 07, 01:59 PM
On Mar 17, 11:58 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those that were curious, here is a link that lists all the food brands
> affected by the recall.
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>
> Blue Buffalo Spa Select isn't listed and is not affected by the recall. I
> feed that to my cats and it's not only healthy but they love it. So far,
> this recall only affects canned and pouched food but I'd definately check to
> see if the food you're feeding your cat is not only on the list but also
> whether or not it contains wheat gluten. That seems to be one of the
> ingredients that caused the most problems because some of these company
> started buying from a new supplier.

I suspect many people could assume that ANY of the menu brands could
be affected. Check out what happened to my cat:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.pets.cats.health+behav/browse_thread/thread/5450d1ee6b0fa60f/57884fd55b637ff3#

knowing how corporations like to cut corners, how do we know that
other shady suppliers they are using? paranoid, I guess but it just
hits to close to home for me.

Stick Waver
March 18th 07, 04:08 PM
Cat Protector wrote:

> For those that were curious, here is a link that lists all the food brands
> affected by the recall.
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>

> Blue Buffalo Spa Select isn't listed and is not affected by the recall. I
> feed that to my cats and it's not only healthy but they love it. So far,
> this recall only affects canned and pouched food but I'd definately check to
> see if the food you're feeding your cat is not only on the list but also
> whether or not it contains wheat gluten. That seems to be one of the
> ingredients that caused the most problems because some of these company
> started buying from a new supplier.

Are any of these parent companies for Friskies or Purina?

PawsForThought
March 18th 07, 06:46 PM
On Mar 18, 2:28�pm, "barb" > wrote:
>> This thing is so wide spread that it's downright scary. *You wonder which
> foods may be next.

I read where they say the wheat gluten in the foods is what is causing
the problem. Sounds like it might be mycotoxins.

"Mycotoxins, potentially deadly fungal toxins that multiply in moldy
grains, have been found in pet foods in recent years. In 1995,
Nature's Recipe recalled tons of their dog food after dogs became ill
from eating it. The food was found to contain vomitoxin, a
mycotoxin..."

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/jesse.htm

barb
March 18th 07, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I was going to try and delve into this matter and you
were helpful. My cat eats Nutro Max Gourmet and recently I tried the pouch
they make. She wouldn't eat it.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Cat Protector
March 19th 07, 03:36 AM
Purina owns Friskies. Purina is it's own company but they do limited
business with Menu and just recalled their Mighty Dog pouches as a
precaution. I'm not sure whether or not they'll pull the cat line yet.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Stick Waver" > wrote in message
> Cat Protector wrote:
>
>> For those that were curious, here is a link that lists all the food
>> brands affected by the recall.
>>
>> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>>

>> Blue Buffalo Spa Select isn't listed and is not affected by the recall. I
>> feed that to my cats and it's not only healthy but they love it. So far,
>> this recall only affects canned and pouched food but I'd definately check
>> to see if the food you're feeding your cat is not only on the list but
>> also whether or not it contains wheat gluten. That seems to be one of the
>> ingredients that caused the most problems because some of these company
>> started buying from a new supplier.
>
> Are any of these parent companies for Friskies or Purina?

Cat Protector
March 19th 07, 03:38 AM
NP. My cats have been on Blue Buffalo Spa Select for quite a while simply
because I believe it is healthier for them and my cats really love it. You
can get it at Petsmart.

--

"barb" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the info. I was going to try and delve into this matter and
> you
> were helpful. My cat eats Nutro Max Gourmet and recently I tried the
> pouch
> they make. She wouldn't eat it.
>
> This thing is so wide spread that it's downright scary. You wonder which
> foods may be next.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

svu geek
March 19th 07, 08:05 AM
Cat Protector wrote:
> For those that were curious, here is a link that lists all the food brands
> affected by the recall.
>
> http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
>

> Blue Buffalo Spa Select isn't listed and is not affected by the recall. I
> feed that to my cats and it's not only healthy but they love it. So far,
> this recall only affects canned and pouched food but I'd definately check to
> see if the food you're feeding your cat is not only on the list but also
> whether or not it contains wheat gluten. That seems to be one of the
> ingredients that caused the most problems because some of these company
> started buying from a new supplier.

I'm wondering if maybe we all should hold off on feeding our cats wet
food for awhile (a few weeks?). It could be possible that more food
was affected. And I'm no expert but just because it wasn't made by
Menu Foods, isn't there still a chance it could be affected? If it was
the wheat gluten, the supplier could've sold that to other companies,
couldn't they? Is there any possibility this could end up in dry food?

Stick Waver
March 19th 07, 12:19 PM
Cat Protector wrote:

> Purina owns Friskies. Purina is it's own company but they do limited
> business with Menu and just recalled their Mighty Dog pouches as a
> precaution. I'm not sure whether or not they'll pull the cat line yet.

Thank you.

Cat Protector
March 19th 07, 03:45 PM
I think that is paranoia talking. I have no intention on holding off canned
or dry foods for my cats. The food they eat doesn't have wheat gluten in it.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com