PDA

View Full Version : More information on pet food recall (detailed brand names)

MaryL
March 18th 07, 11:45 PM
Flippy just posted this information on rpca. I thought some of the readers
on this NG would be interested because it provides far more information than
the official Menu Foods web site.

Here is what Flippy wrote ...

This 15-page PDF file lists every specific recalled food of each brand
including description, best by & production dates, product & UPC codes.
http://www.jmlamoreux.com/message/total.pdf

The information was collated by the owner of a CRF website.

--
MaryL

BarB
March 20th 07, 01:33 AM
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:45:39 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>This 15-page PDF file lists every specific recalled food of each brand
>including description, best by & production dates, product & UPC codes.
>http://www.jmlamoreux.com/message/total.pdf
>
>The information was collated by the owner of a CRF website.

Could you point me to the original CRF website? I can't read this
fine print. Perhaps someone can tell me how to expand it.

I do have some additional info from another list from someone who
did manage to get through to the phone lines at Menu Foods.

She spoke to an individual who works for an external company brought
in to help them deal with all the calls. He said that the list may
not be complete yet, their investigations are ongoing and it is
possible that additional foods or batches may be added to the list.
They hope they have got them all by now but they cannot guarantee it.

He asked that anybody feeding a different batch food who thinks their
cat is affected should contact them ASAP. At the moment, they still
suspect the gluten from the new supplier as the source of the
problem. It has only occurred in foods containing this gluten, and
only in foods containing gluten provided by this new supplier. They
still do not know the exact toxin but again, they are working on it.

There are a lot of sick cats and dogs,and there may be far more
deaths than initially thought. At the moment it appears to me that
Menu Foods is acting responsibly. We will see. Even if the
ingredient coming from their supplier was bad, it was Menu Foods
responsibility to have quality control procedures in place to detect
it.

BarB

Lynne
March 20th 07, 01:56 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:33:53 GMT, BarB > wrote:

> At the moment it appears to me that
> Menu Foods is acting responsibly. We will see.

I disagree. They haven't been keeping their website updated quickly
enough. CNN reported additional brands before they showed up on Menu
Food's website, with as much as a full day of lag. This is unconscionable
to me.

> Even if the
> ingredient coming from their supplier was bad, it was Menu Foods
> responsibility to have quality control procedures in place to detect
> it.

Isn't Menu Foods the supplier of the bad ingredient? I do agree that the
companies who used their product should have testing procedures in place.
Pet food is more profitable than human food. Now I understand why...
cutting corners saves money.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
March 20th 07, 02:08 AM
On Mon 19 Mar 2007 09:56:44p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> Isn't Menu Foods the supplier of the bad ingredient? I do agree
> that the companies who used their product should have testing
> procedures in place. Pet food is more profitable than human
> food. Now I understand why... cutting corners saves money.

Gosh, Lynne, you're my target tonight! LOL Just kidding. Just the
posts that stand out to me.

Menu Foods isn't the supplier of the tainted wheat gluten, if
that's what it turns out to be, which is what they're now thinking.
Menu Foods bought the ingredient from a supplier, which supplied
the same ingredient to others, like Hills and P&G. That's what's
so scary; what other food manufacturer bought this ingredient from
the same supplier? Do they know yet? If they know, have they
disclosed it yet? It seems that the production of pet food must be
like any other industry -- they buy ingredients like some companies
buy parts. They buy meat by-products from one supplier, wheat or
corn gluten from another, vitamin supplements from yet another. It
must be hard to put all of the puzzle pieces together when there's
a problem like this one. Couple that with the fact that store
brand pet food isn't even all manufactured by the same company.
That's why the batch numbers are so important.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
March 20th 07, 02:18 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:08:08 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Gosh, Lynne, you're my target tonight! LOL Just kidding. Just the
> posts that stand out to me.

Well since I'm all frazzled about the lost kitten, I'm on a posting
frenzy and welcome the replies!

> Menu Foods isn't the supplier of the tainted wheat gluten, if
> that's what it turns out to be, which is what they're now thinking.
> Menu Foods bought the ingredient from a supplier, which supplied
> the same ingredient to others, like Hills and P&G. That's what's
> so scary; what other food manufacturer bought this ingredient from
> the same supplier? Do they know yet? If they know, have they
> disclosed it yet? It seems that the production of pet food must be
> like any other industry -- they buy ingredients like some companies
> buy parts. They buy meat by-products from one supplier, wheat or
> corn gluten from another, vitamin supplements from yet another. It
> must be hard to put all of the puzzle pieces together when there's
> a problem like this one. Couple that with the fact that store
> brand pet food isn't even all manufactured by the same company.
> That's why the batch numbers are so important.

Ah, okay. I thought Menu Foods was the supplier of the bad wheat gluten
to the food manufactueres. So crap, then it's even scarier than I
thought!

What about dry foods? Why aren't they impacted? I have this nagging
fear in the back of my mind that they will announce that dry foods are
also a problem... Probably just paranoia, but I'm still concerned.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
March 20th 07, 02:38 AM
On Mon 19 Mar 2007 10:18:41p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> What about dry foods? Why aren't they impacted? I have this
> nagging fear in the back of my mind that they will announce that
> dry foods are also a problem... Probably just paranoia, but I'm
> still concerned.

Same here. I read an article that I don't even want to post here.
Some of what is being reported is started to verge on media panic.
They do have a way of inducing it. What everyone needs to do is
monitor their pets health. There are specific symptoms; some
animals might be more suceptible than others, as all bodies are
different in how they metabolize foods or toxins. Vomiting and
lethargy should be red flag signs. There should be no "I can't
afford the vet right now" excuses. I don't know how a vet can test
for this latest tainted food issue, but if there are multiple pets
in the house, I wouldn't wait for more than one of them to have
symptoms before I acted.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
March 20th 07, 02:49 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:38:53 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Same here. I read an article that I don't even want to post here.
> Some of what is being reported is started to verge on media panic.
> They do have a way of inducing it. What everyone needs to do is
> monitor their pets health. There are specific symptoms; some
> animals might be more suceptible than others, as all bodies are
> different in how they metabolize foods or toxins. Vomiting and
> lethargy should be red flag signs. There should be no "I can't
> afford the vet right now" excuses. I don't know how a vet can test
> for this latest tainted food issue, but if there are multiple pets
> in the house, I wouldn't wait for more than one of them to have
> symptoms before I acted.

That's the best advice possible for this situation.

--
Lynne

MaryL
March 20th 07, 02:54 AM
"BarB" > wrote in message
. earthlink.net...
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:45:39 -0500, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
>>This 15-page PDF file lists every specific recalled food of each brand
>>including description, best by & production dates, product & UPC codes.
>>http://www.jmlamoreux.com/message/total.pdf
>>
>>The information was collated by the owner of a CRF website.
>>
> Could you point me to the original CRF website? I can't read this
> fine print. Perhaps someone can tell me how to expand it.
>
> I do have some additional info from another list from someone who
> did manage to get through to the phone lines at Menu Foods.
>
> She spoke to an individual who works for an external company brought
> in to help them deal with all the calls. He said that the list may
> not be complete yet, their investigations are ongoing and it is
> possible that additional foods or batches may be added to the list.
> They hope they have got them all by now but they cannot guarantee it.
>
> He asked that anybody feeding a different batch food who thinks their
> cat is affected should contact them ASAP. At the moment, they still
> suspect the gluten from the new supplier as the source of the
> problem. It has only occurred in foods containing this gluten, and
> only in foods containing gluten provided by this new supplier. They
> still do not know the exact toxin but again, they are working on it.
>
> There are a lot of sick cats and dogs,and there may be far more
> deaths than initially thought. At the moment it appears to me that
> Menu Foods is acting responsibly. We will see. Even if the
> ingredient coming from their supplier was bad, it was Menu Foods
> responsibility to have quality control procedures in place to detect
> it.
>
> BarB

I really don't think Menu Foods has been acting responsibly. They delayed
several days making the report public, and their list is woefully
inadequate. By contrast, the list at the site I posted is 15 pages in
length and includes batch numbers and other information.

When you view the list of recalled foods onscreen, you will be using Adobe
Reader. Go to the top of the screen and look for the zoom tool. It will
look like a magnifying glass with a "plus" sign in the center. Click on
that, then go to the page you want to read and click on that. Each click
will increase the font size until you get it to the size you prefer. You
can do the same thing by looking at the box (top of screen) that shows a
percentage. Use the plus or minus signs to to increase or decrease the font
size.

MaryL

Cat Protector
March 20th 07, 03:33 AM
I think a lot of people are being a bit frantic right now regarding the
recall. I think plenty of vets are getting calls from worried humans whose
cats may or may not have eaten the affected foods. The food my cats get Blue
Buffalo isn't on the recall list and they aren't affiliated with Menu Foods
which is the distributor to many of the brands listed. I think the
interesting side effect to this whole mess is people will start reading
ingredients and really look at the healthier brands.

Blue Buffalo is probably the healthiest food I've seen next to actually
cooking it yourself. There's no corn, wheat or soy and the food is on a
human grade level. The meats they use is the free range stuff so it isn't
injected with hormones and best of all the cat food actually has cranberries
in it for the urinary tract health. I switched to it because one of my cats
had a UTI while another had weight and hairball issues. It's certainly
helped in those situations and at least my cats are eating healthy.

I think this incident is probably going to convince people to finally look
at other brands they wouldn't otherwise give a second glance to. I'm sure it
won't hurt their profits.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:08:08 GMT, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> Gosh, Lynne, you're my target tonight! LOL Just kidding. Just the
>> posts that stand out to me.
>
> Well since I'm all frazzled about the lost kitten, I'm on a posting
> frenzy and welcome the replies!
>
>> Menu Foods isn't the supplier of the tainted wheat gluten, if
>> that's what it turns out to be, which is what they're now thinking.
>> Menu Foods bought the ingredient from a supplier, which supplied
>> the same ingredient to others, like Hills and P&G. That's what's
>> so scary; what other food manufacturer bought this ingredient from
>> the same supplier? Do they know yet? If they know, have they
>> disclosed it yet? It seems that the production of pet food must be
>> like any other industry -- they buy ingredients like some companies
>> buy parts. They buy meat by-products from one supplier, wheat or
>> corn gluten from another, vitamin supplements from yet another. It
>> must be hard to put all of the puzzle pieces together when there's
>> a problem like this one. Couple that with the fact that store
>> brand pet food isn't even all manufactured by the same company.
>> That's why the batch numbers are so important.
>
> Ah, okay. I thought Menu Foods was the supplier of the bad wheat gluten
> to the food manufactueres. So crap, then it's even scarier than I
> thought!
>
> What about dry foods? Why aren't they impacted? I have this nagging
> fear in the back of my mind that they will announce that dry foods are
> also a problem... Probably just paranoia, but I'm still concerned.
>
> --
> Lynne

Cat Protector
March 20th 07, 03:41 AM
Iams and Eukanuba from what I understand pulled their foods as a precaution.

--

"~ narnia ~" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:18:41 -0500, Lynne
> > wrote:
>
>>on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:08:08 GMT, Cheryl >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Gosh, Lynne, you're my target tonight! LOL Just kidding. Just the
>>> posts that stand out to me.
>>
>>Well since I'm all frazzled about the lost kitten, I'm on a posting
>>frenzy and welcome the replies!
>>
>>> Menu Foods isn't the supplier of the tainted wheat gluten, if
>>> that's what it turns out to be, which is what they're now thinking.
>>> Menu Foods bought the ingredient from a supplier, which supplied
>>> the same ingredient to others, like Hills and P&G. That's what's
>>> so scary; what other food manufacturer bought this ingredient from
>>> the same supplier? Do they know yet? If they know, have they
>>> disclosed it yet? It seems that the production of pet food must be
>>> like any other industry -- they buy ingredients like some companies
>>> buy parts. They buy meat by-products from one supplier, wheat or
>>> corn gluten from another, vitamin supplements from yet another. It
>>> must be hard to put all of the puzzle pieces together when there's
>>> a problem like this one. Couple that with the fact that store
>>> brand pet food isn't even all manufactured by the same company.
>>> That's why the batch numbers are so important.
>>
>>Ah, okay. I thought Menu Foods was the supplier of the bad wheat gluten
>>to the food manufactueres. So crap, then it's even scarier than I
>>thought!
>>
>>What about dry foods? Why aren't they impacted? I have this nagging
>>fear in the back of my mind that they will announce that dry foods are
>>also a problem... Probably just paranoia, but I'm still concerned.
>
> Petfooddirect.com has this on their website regarding dry foods:
>
> Iams and Eukanuba "dry" products are not manufactured at Menu Foods
> and not affected by this issue.
>
> ~ narnia ~

Gail Futoran
March 20th 07, 02:15 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Iams and Eukanuba from what I understand pulled their foods as a
> precaution.

Only their canned and pouch foods, and not
all varieties (unless something has changed
since yesterday).

Unfortunately, my kittens' favorite kitten
canned food is on the recalled list, and I
have 8 cans that are within the recalled code.

Fortunately, my kittens and cats get a
variety of canned and dry foods, and
seem to be unaffected by any exposure
they might have had to the suspect
ingredient(s).

Gail F.
Minya, Lao Ma, Ephiny, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby

zinzee
March 20th 07, 05:35 PM
On Mar 19, 9:33 pm, BarB > wrote:
<snip>

> I do have some additional info from another list from someone who
> did manage to get through to the phone lines at Menu Foods.
>
> She spoke to an individual who works for an external company brought
> in to help them deal with all the calls. He said that the list may
> not be complete yet, their investigations are ongoing and it is
> possible that additional foods or batches may be added to the list.
> They hope they have got them all by now but they cannot guarantee it.

<snip>

> BarB

Yes, apparently they have opened new phone lines as of yesterday.
However, "The FDA is asking those with sick or dead pets to call FDA
state complaint coordinators." (wnbc.com)

Individual state and US Territory numbers are below:

FDA's Consumer Complaint Coordinators

To report adverse reactions or other problems with FDA-regulated
products, contact the FDA district office consumer complaint
coordinator for your geographic area.

Alabama--866-289-3399
Alaska--(425) 483-4949
Arizona--(949) 608-3530
Arkansas--(214) 253-5200, ext. 5233
California (Northern)--(510) 337-6741
California (Southern)--(949) 608-3530
Colorado--(303) 236-3044
Connecticut--(781) 596-7700
Delaware--(215) 597-9064
District of Columbia--(410) 779-5713
Florida -- (866) 337-6272
Georgia--(404) 253-1169
Hawaii--(510) 337-6741
Idaho--(425) 483-4949
Illinois--(312) 353-7840
Indiana--(313) 393-8100
Iowa--(913) 752-2440
Kansas--(913) 752-2440
Kentucky--(513) 679-2700, ext. 124
Louisiana--866-289-3399
Maine--(781) 596-7700
Maryland--(410) 779-5713
Massachusetts--(781) 596-7700
Michigan--(313) 393-8100
Minnesota--(612) 758-7221
Mississippi--866-289-3399
Missouri--(913) 752-2440
Montana--(425) 483-4949
Nebraska--(913) 752-2440
Nevada--(510) 337-6741
New Hampshire--(781) 596-7700
New Jersey-- (973) 331-4917
New Mexico--(303) 236-3044
New York -- (718) 340-7000 ext 5588
North Carolina--(404) 253-1169
North Dakota--(612) 758-7221
Ohio--(513) 679-2700, ext. 124
Oklahoma--(214) 253-5200, ext. 5233
Oregon--(425) 483-4949
Pennsylvania--(215) 597-9064
Rhode Island--(781) 596-7700
South Carolina--(404) 253-1169
South Dakota--(612) 758-7221
Tennessee-- 866-289-3399
Texas--(214) 253-5200 ext. 5233
Utah--(303) 236-3044
Vermont--(781) 596-7700
Virginia--(410) 779-5713
Washington--(425) 483-4949
West Virginia--(410) 779-5713
Wisconsin--(612) 758-7221
Wyoming--(303) 236-3044
Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands--800-332-0127

cindys
March 21st 07, 12:18 PM
"BarB" > wrote in message
. earthlink.net...
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:45:39 -0500, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
>>This 15-page PDF file lists every specific recalled food of each brand
>>including description, best by & production dates, product & UPC codes.
>>http://www.jmlamoreux.com/message/total.pdf
>>
>>The information was collated by the owner of a CRF website.
>>
> Could you point me to the original CRF website? I can't read this
> fine print. Perhaps someone can tell me how to expand it.
On the toolbar, there's a number with a percent sign (%) following it. Click
onto that and pick a larger number.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.