PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Pill Pockets

March 19th 07, 12:28 AM
I thought the Pill Pockets would be great, but my cat won't eat them. Can
anyone suggest some other food that would be okay to hide a pill in? Are
there any cat treats, for instance, that are soft enough to push a pill
into? (Hiding the pill in his regular wet food doesn't do the trick -- he
always ferrets it out and leaves it sitting there. And I don't want him to
grow distrustful of his food bowl.)

I gave him a little morsel of mild cheddar cheese as a test and he ate
that, so I may try pushing a pill into it next time. He only gets one tiny
pill, once every other day -- but I don't want to give him anything that
can do him any harm.

Thanks.

cybercat
March 19th 07, 01:45 AM
> wrote in message
. 103...
>I thought the Pill Pockets would be great, but my cat won't eat them. Can
> anyone suggest some other food that would be okay to hide a pill in? Are
> there any cat treats, for instance, that are soft enough to push a pill
> into? (Hiding the pill in his regular wet food doesn't do the trick -- he
> always ferrets it out and leaves it sitting there. And I don't want him
> grow distrustful of his food bowl.)
>
> I gave him a little morsel of mild cheddar cheese as a test and he ate
> that, so I may try pushing a pill into it next time. He only gets one
> tiny
> pill, once every other day -- but I don't want to give him anything that
> can do him any harm.

Don't mess with this stuff. Just open his mouth after you put his wet food
down, after he has had a bite or two is best, using your left hand, gently
position his head so that you are looking straight down his throat and
toss the pill directly to the CENTER of the back of his throat. That
way all he can do is swallow it, he cannot work it around to the side
with his tongue and spit it out. Once you toss it in, close his mouth
and gently rub his throat and pet his head until he swallows.

I pill my cat twice a day this way. She has learned to just swallow
the pill so she can get at her food faster.

March 19th 07, 02:28 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> > Don't mess with this stuff. Just open his mouth after you put his wet
> food down...

Actually, I don't need a pill-giving solution for myself. I use a pill
shooter that works really well. I need an easy solution for when I have a
catsitter at the house when I'm away. So far, none of my catsitters have
been comfortable giving my cat his pill (even with the pill shooter), so
I'm looking for something really easy like the Pill Pockets, which he
unfortunately won't eat. I only go away a couple of times per year, and
never for more than about a week. So my cat would be eating cat treats (or
whatever might work) only very occasionally.

cindys
March 19th 07, 04:55 AM
> wrote in message
.103...
> "cybercat" > wrote in :
>

>> > Don't mess with this stuff. Just open his mouth after you put his wet
>> food down...
>
> Actually, I don't need a pill-giving solution for myself. I use a pill
> shooter that works really well.
----------
I have also used the pill shooter and it works well. Another easy solution
(which worked with a cat that was totally impossible to pill) is that I
ground up the pill, mixed it with a little water from the tuna can, sucked
up the mixture with an eyedropper and squirted it into her mouth. It was
impossible for her to spit it out.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

> I need an easy solution for when I have a
> catsitter at the house when I'm away. So far, none of my catsitters have
> been comfortable giving my cat his pill (even with the pill shooter), so
> I'm looking for something really easy like the Pill Pockets, which he
> unfortunately won't eat. I only go away a couple of times per year, and
> never for more than about a week. So my cat would be eating cat treats
> (or
> whatever might work) only very occasionally.

bookie
March 19th 07, 01:31 PM
On 19 Mar, 00:28, wrote:
> I thought the Pill Pockets would be great, but my cat won't eat them. Can
> anyone suggest some other food that would be okay to hide a pill in? Are
> there any cat treats, for instance, that are soft enough to push a pill
> into? (Hiding the pill in his regular wet food doesn't do the trick -- he
> always ferrets it out and leaves it sitting there. And I don't want him to
> grow distrustful of his food bowl.)
>
> I gave him a little morsel of mild cheddar cheese as a test and he ate
> that, so I may try pushing a pill into it next time. He only gets one tiny
> pill, once every other day -- but I don't want to give him anything that
> can do him any harm.
>
> Thanks.

smother the pill in cream cheese? my mum used to do that, but i prefer
to just open the cats motuh and put the pill down there, then give her
a treat or something to eat immediately afterwards to make sure it
goes right down and does not stick in her throat (which apparantly can
be a problem)

best of luck bookie

Rene S.
March 19th 07, 02:53 PM
If the pill is very small, I've had some success stuffing a pill into
half of a Temptations treat (crunchy on the outside but soft on the
inside). However, sooner or later, my cat wises up to anything with a
pill inside of it (he takes meds twice daily). I've had better luck
just pilling him by hand, using the method that cybercat mentioned.
ALWAYS followup with food or water, so the pill doesn't dissolve in
his esophagus.

Elizabeth Blake
March 20th 07, 06:12 AM
> wrote in message
. 103...
>I thought the Pill Pockets would be great, but my cat won't eat them. Can
> anyone suggest some other food that would be okay to hide a pill in? Are
> there any cat treats, for instance, that are soft enough to push a pill
> into? (Hiding the pill in his regular wet food doesn't do the trick -- he
> always ferrets it out and leaves it sitting there. And I don't want him
> grow distrustful of his food bowl.)
>
> I gave him a little morsel of mild cheddar cheese as a test and he ate
> that, so I may try pushing a pill into it next time. He only gets one
> tiny
> pill, once every other day -- but I don't want to give him anything that
> can do him any harm.

I bought a bag of Pill Pockets awhile ago for the cat at work. She gets
Propulsid in a capsule and doesn't enjoy taking it. She's the type of cat
who gulps treats down whole, but she knew there was something in the pocket
and either wouldn't touch it or would manage to push the capsule out and
just eat the treat. I stopped using them and began manually poking the
capsules down her throat. Came across the bag of Pill Pockets last week and
tried again. If I put the treat down by her and walk away a bit she eats
it. Swallows it whole, very happily. I still have to give her Lactulose
after that but at least her medication routine is only half as bad now. I
don't plan on buying any more after the bag is empty, though.

Have you tried giving your cat a couple of empty Pill Pockets as treats,
without the pill inside?

--
Liz

Rhonda
March 20th 07, 06:45 AM
The water (not oil) from a can of tuna worked wonders for our cat. I
think it depends on the nastiness of the pill, but we were pleased.

I also got some Whisker Lickin' soft treats, broke one in half and
molded the two sides around the pill. I had to work at it a bit since
it's dryer than Pill Pockets, but it wasn't bad. I fed Abers a couple
pieces without a pill in it first, then the one with the pill went right
down!

Good luck,

Rhonda