PDA

View Full Version : CRF- creatine at 10 is there any hope at all?


March 19th 07, 08:05 PM
Hi- Saturday morning, Mocha, my cat of 17 years collapsed when she got
up that morning and tried to walk. She spent the weekend in an
emergency hospital on an IV diagnosed with CRF.

Her creatinine was 8 when we brought her in, and measured 10 after 24
hours. The emergency doctor said this was very bad and almost
hopeless- He certainly had never seen the level go up after 24 hours
on IV.

What is amazing is that I went and saw her and she seems dramatically
improved from when we brought her in- She's alert, walking around,
grooming, and even ate a few bites for me.

With her looking so well and obviously not suffering, I don't want to
put her down at this point. The doc agreed with me that she looked
well, but said she simply couldn't live at those levels- in other
words these is no home treatment at this point.

I transferred her to my regular vet Monday morning where she will
continue on IV for now


Any advice would be helpful-
Thanks, Steve V.

cindys
March 19th 07, 09:28 PM
" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi- Saturday morning, Mocha, my cat of 17 years collapsed when she got
> up that morning and tried to walk. She spent the weekend in an
> emergency hospital on an IV diagnosed with CRF.
>
> Her creatinine was 8 when we brought her in, and measured 10 after 24
> hours. The emergency doctor said this was very bad and almost
> hopeless- He certainly had never seen the level go up after 24 hours
> on IV.
>
> What is amazing is that I went and saw her and she seems dramatically
> improved from when we brought her in- She's alert, walking around,
> grooming, and even ate a few bites for me.
>
> With her looking so well and obviously not suffering, I don't want to
> put her down at this point. The doc agreed with me that she looked
> well, but said she simply couldn't live at those levels- in other
> words these is no home treatment at this point.
>
> I transferred her to my regular vet Monday morning where she will
> continue on IV for now
------------
Last October, I said goodbye to my beloved Molly who was severely ill with
CRF. In her case, she had gradually gone downhill over the course of a year
or two. I finally made the decision to euthanize when she was wobbly on her
feet and salivating excessively due to nausea. But she was still able to
come upstairs. And she was still eating a little. And she was still using
her litterbox most of the time. I was supposed to be starting her on daily
subcu fluids, but I made the decision to euthanize instead. I felt like I
was betraying her because she seemed like she wanted to live so badly. I
felt like I was being selfish because I was starting to feel afraid to leave
her, lest she try to jump on the couch and fall and break a bone. I was
afraid to come downstairs in the morning, wondering what I would find. It
seemed like my decision to euthanize was all about me and not about her, my
fears, my concerns for her safety, my reluctance to want to do the subcu
fluids.

When we went to the vet to her euthanized, the vet showed me that Molly's
lab values were grossly abnormal. The vet expressed surprise that Molly was
still eating, etc. She reassured me I was making the right decision, but I
still felt terribly guilty. But the vet pointed out to me "She is not going
to get better. She is only going to get worse. And she doesn't know that she
still has a few days left or a week left." I posted about my feelings on
this forum. Other posters pointed out to me that cats are very stoic, and
you really do need to go by the lab values. They convinced me that given a
choice, it is preferable to euthanize a little sooner rather than a little
later. It's all the same to the kitty because it's not as if she's thinking
"I have another week left and he's taking that away from me." All that lay
ahead for Molly would have been more suffering. Her quality of life was
poor. Eating a little bit or continuing to use the litter box does not = a
good quality of life.

Recently, my husband and I were revisiting the subject, and he told that he
thought I had waited too long to euthanize her. He said "I don't know when
the right time would have been, but I think you waited too long." I once
advised another poster on this forum (whose cat had grossly abnormal lab
values but seemed to be behaving okay) to base her decision on how the cat
was behaving. Other posters disagreed and reminded me that cats are very
stoic and will try so hard to cover up their pain. The lab values are
objective. When it's time to say goodbye to my next baby, I will try to keep
this mind. The next time, I will euthanize a little sooner rather than
later. I can understand that you don't want to put Mocha down. I didn't want
to put Molly down. No one ever wants to put his/her beloved pet down. Is
there any hope for Mocha at all? Is she going to eventually be able to come
home and return to her normal life? Or is she going to spend the remainder
of her life at the vet hospital with an IV? When you are able to answer to
this question, you will be able to make your decision.
Purrs to you and Mocha.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

mlbriggs
March 20th 07, 12:01 AM
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:05:43 -0700, wrote:

> Hi- Saturday morning, Mocha, my cat of 17 years collapsed when she got up
> that morning and tried to walk. She spent the weekend in an emergency
> hospital on an IV diagnosed with CRF.
>
> Her creatinine was 8 when we brought her in, and measured 10 after 24
> hours. The emergency doctor said this was very bad and almost hopeless-
> He certainly had never seen the level go up after 24 hours on IV.
>
> What is amazing is that I went and saw her and she seems dramatically
> improved from when we brought her in- She's alert, walking around,
> grooming, and even ate a few bites for me.
>
> With her looking so well and obviously not suffering, I don't want to put
> her down at this point. The doc agreed with me that she looked well, but
> said she simply couldn't live at those levels- in other words these is no
> home treatment at this point.
>
> I transferred her to my regular vet Monday morning where she will continue
> on IV for now
>
>
> Any advice would be helpful-
> Thanks, Steve V.


Has she eaten any of the "recalled" food? MLB

cindys
March 20th 07, 02:18 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
...
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:05:43 -0700, wrote:
>
>> Hi- Saturday morning, Mocha, my cat of 17 years collapsed when she got up
>> that morning and tried to walk. She spent the weekend in an emergency
>> hospital on an IV diagnosed with CRF.
>>
>> Her creatinine was 8 when we brought her in, and measured 10 after 24
>> hours. The emergency doctor said this was very bad and almost hopeless-
>> He certainly had never seen the level go up after 24 hours on IV.
>>
>> What is amazing is that I went and saw her and she seems dramatically
>> improved from when we brought her in- She's alert, walking around,
>> grooming, and even ate a few bites for me.
>>
>> With her looking so well and obviously not suffering, I don't want to put
>> her down at this point. The doc agreed with me that she looked well,
>> but
>> said she simply couldn't live at those levels- in other words these is no
>> home treatment at this point.
>>
>> I transferred her to my regular vet Monday morning where she will
>> continue
>> on IV for now
>>
>>
>> Any advice would be helpful-
>> Thanks, Steve V.
>
>
> Has she eaten any of the "recalled" food? MLB
-----------
I never even thought of that.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.