PDA

View Full Version : Feline Chylothorax

March 19th 07, 07:53 PM
Hi,
I would like to know if anyone has had a cat diagnosed with idiopathic
(unknown cause) chylothorax. My 16 year old cat has developed this
condition and it has been very frustrating. My primary vet referred me
to a cardiologist after the lab report confirmed that the chest fluid
collected was chylous. An ultrasound showed mild HCM (slight
enlargement of the left side of the heart) and my cat was prescribed
Lasix. A week later, he was rechecked and there was no improvement.
His Lasix dose was increased but another recheck showed still no
improvement. Each time, at least 220mls or more fluid is removed from
my cat's chest.
I had a consultation with an internal medicine surgeon and learned
that the surgery (thoracic duct ligation) was major and VERY risky.
Also, he had never done the procedure on a cat as old as mine. He told
me that there was a 50-50 chance of it being successful. After the
surgery, my cat would have to spent up to a week in the hospital with
drain tubes in his chest.
The thought of putting my poor boy through all that trauma and pain
breaks my heart. I don't even know if he would survive it all. So, I
am now having him treated by a homeopathic vet who wants to modify my
cat's diet and give him nutrional supplements and antioxidents to
boost his immune system. One of the supplements is Rutin which I have
researched on the Internet. I have found that many cats with this
disease respond favorably with this treatment so I am hoping for the
best for my Rascal.
Can anyone give me some advice? Your comments would be very much
appreciated!

Rene S.
March 19th 07, 08:58 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I don't have experience
personally, but I have a co-worker whose cat has the same thing
(though only 4 years old). I've emailed her and asked her to read this
thread and hopefully respond.

>From what I understand, the rutein is helpful, but you have to give it
consistantly. Also, make sure he's on a high-quality, grain free diet
(canned or raw). I'm sure the homeopathic vet can help with that.

Hugs to you,
Rene

Jamie[_2_]
March 20th 07, 10:45 PM
On Mar 19, 11:53 am, wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know if anyone has had a cat diagnosed with idiopathic
> (unknown cause)chylothorax. My 16 year old cat has developed this
> condition and it has been very frustrating. My primary vet referred me
> to a cardiologist after the lab report confirmed that the chest fluid
> collected was chylous. An ultrasound showed mild HCM (slight
> enlargement of the left side of the heart) and my cat was prescribed
> Lasix. A week later, he was rechecked and there was no improvement.
> His Lasix dose was increased but another recheck showed still no
> improvement. Each time, at least 220mls or more fluid is removed from
> my cat's chest.
> I had a consultation with an internal medicine surgeon and learned
> that the surgery (thoracic duct ligation) was major and VERY risky.
> Also, he had never done the procedure on a cat as old as mine. He told
> me that there was a 50-50 chance of it being successful. After the
> surgery, my cat would have to spent up to a week in the hospital with
> drain tubes in his chest.
> The thought of putting my poor boy through all that trauma and pain
> breaks my heart. I don't even know if he would survive it all. So, I
> am now having him treated by a homeopathic vet who wants to modify my
> cat's diet and give him nutrional supplements and antioxidents to
> boost his immune system. One of the supplements is Rutin which I have
> researched on the Internet. I have found that many cats with this
> disease respond favorably with this treatment so I am hoping for the
> best for my Rascal.
> Can anyone give me some advice? Your comments would be very much
> appreciated!

PLEASE email me so that I can call you on the phone.
There is far too much for me to tell you that I can type here
I have had MUCH experience with what you are going through.
Email me soon, please, at: .
Please include your phone number and the best time to call so that I
can speak to you.
I feel so badly for what you are going through.
I might be able to help.
Please trust me.
If you prefer to email me and request my phone number that is fine
too.
I just want to help and I cannot write all that I need to tell you.
My heart and thoughts are with you.
Jamie

Jamie[_2_]
March 20th 07, 10:48 PM
On Mar 19, 11:53 am, wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know if anyone has had a cat diagnosed with idiopathic
> (unknown cause)chylothorax. My 16 year old cat has developed this
> condition and it has been very frustrating. My primary vet referred me
> to a cardiologist after the lab report confirmed that the chest fluid
> collected was chylous. An ultrasound showed mild HCM (slight
> enlargement of the left side of the heart) and my cat was prescribed
> Lasix. A week later, he was rechecked and there was no improvement.
> His Lasix dose was increased but another recheck showed still no
> improvement. Each time, at least 220mls or more fluid is removed from
> my cat's chest.
> I had a consultation with an internal medicine surgeon and learned
> that the surgery (thoracic duct ligation) was major and VERY risky.
> Also, he had never done the procedure on a cat as old as mine. He told
> me that there was a 50-50 chance of it being successful. After the
> surgery, my cat would have to spent up to a week in the hospital with
> drain tubes in his chest.
> The thought of putting my poor boy through all that trauma and pain
> breaks my heart. I don't even know if he would survive it all. So, I
> am now having him treated by a homeopathic vet who wants to modify my
> cat's diet and give him nutrional supplements and antioxidents to
> boost his immune system. One of the supplements is Rutin which I have
> researched on the Internet. I have found that many cats with this
> disease respond favorably with this treatment so I am hoping for the
> best for my Rascal.
> Can anyone give me some advice? Your comments would be very much
> appreciated!

By the way, Lasix does not work for Chylothorax and nor do
corticosteroids.

Jamie[_2_]
March 20th 07, 10:53 PM
On Mar 20, 2:45 pm, "Jamie" > wrote:
> On Mar 19, 11:53 am, wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I would like to know if anyone has had a cat diagnosed with idiopathic
> > (unknown cause)chylothorax. My 16 year old cat has developed this
> > condition and it has been very frustrating. My primary vet referred me
> > to a cardiologist after the lab report confirmed that the chest fluid
> > collected was chylous. An ultrasound showed mild HCM (slight
> > enlargement of the left side of the heart) and my cat was prescribed
> > Lasix. A week later, he was rechecked and there was no improvement.
> > His Lasix dose was increased but another recheck showed still no
> > improvement. Each time, at least 220mls or more fluid is removed from
> > my cat's chest.
> > I had a consultation with an internal medicine surgeon and learned
> > that the surgery (thoracic duct ligation) was major and VERY risky.
> > Also, he had never done the procedure on a cat as old as mine. He told
> > me that there was a 50-50 chance of it being successful. After the
> > surgery, my cat would have to spent up to a week in the hospital with
> > drain tubes in his chest.
> > The thought of putting my poor boy through all that trauma and pain
> > breaks my heart. I don't even know if he would survive it all. So, I
> > am now having him treated by a homeopathic vet who wants to modify my
> > cat's diet and give him nutrional supplements and antioxidents to
> > boost his immune system. One of the supplements is Rutin which I have
> > researched on the Internet. I have found that many cats with this
> > disease respond favorably with this treatment so I am hoping for the
> > best for my Rascal.
> > Can anyone give me some advice? Your comments would be very much
> > appreciated!
>
> PLEASE email me so that I can call you on the phone.
> There is far too much for me to tell you that I can type here
> I have had MUCH experience with what you are going through.
> Email me soon, please, at: .
> Please include your phone number and the best time to call so that I
> can speak to you.
> I feel so badly for what you are going through.
> I might be able to help.
> Please trust me.
> If you prefer to email me and request my phone number that is fine
> too.
> I just want to help and I cannot write all that I need to tell you.
> My heart and thoughts are with you.
> Jamie- Hide quoted text -

my last name is fox....thats the missing part of my email address.
please lets talk. I want to help you.
jamiefox

Jamie[_2_]
March 20th 07, 11:41 PM
On Mar 19, 11:53 am, wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know if anyone has had a cat diagnosed with idiopathic
> (unknown cause)chylothorax. My 16 year old cat has developed this
> condition and it has been very frustrating. My primary vet referred me
> to a cardiologist after the lab report confirmed that the chest fluid
> collected was chylous. An ultrasound showed mild HCM (slight
> enlargement of the left side of the heart) and my cat was prescribed
> Lasix. A week later, he was rechecked and there was no improvement.
> His Lasix dose was increased but another recheck showed still no
> improvement. Each time, at least 220mls or more fluid is removed from
> my cat's chest.
> I had a consultation with an internal medicine surgeon and learned
> that the surgery (thoracic duct ligation) was major and VERY risky.
> Also, he had never done the procedure on a cat as old as mine. He told
> me that there was a 50-50 chance of it being successful. After the
> surgery, my cat would have to spent up to a week in the hospital with
> drain tubes in his chest.
> The thought of putting my poor boy through all that trauma and pain
> breaks my heart. I don't even know if he would survive it all. So, I
> am now having him treated by a homeopathic vet who wants to modify my
> cat's diet and give him nutrional supplements and antioxidents to
> boost his immune system. One of the supplements is Rutin which I have
> researched on the Internet. I have found that many cats with this
> disease respond favorably with this treatment so I am hoping for the
> best for my Rascal.
> Can anyone give me some advice? Your comments would be very much
> appreciated!

Hello,
In VERY rare occasions chylothorax will just spontanenously cease.
The chance of that is exceedingly rare.
Homeopathy usually doesn't work.
Rutin therapy might help, but it takes a very long time to help, if it
does at all.
Some cats get nauseated and vomit on high doses of Rutin.
A low fat diet is crucial as fat helps to make the production of
chyle.
Lasix doesn't help to remove chyle.
Steroids do not work to prevent chyle.
With idiopathic chylothorax there might have been a trauma to the
thoracic cavity at one time (hit by car, etc.?) or even possibly the
cat may have had a heartworm.
Idiopathic Chylothorax via trauma, however, is rare.
My cat, Furby, had Thoracic Duct Ligation surgery performed in Sept.
'05. for idiopathic chylothorax.
I flew him from Los Angeles to Texas A&M University Veterinary Clinic
in College Station, TX, to see the renowned veternarian, Theresa
Fossum, DVM as she is the leading surgeon for TDL and she lectures all
over the world ont he subject of chylothorax.
She wrote a book called, 'Small Animal Surgery'.
Dr. Fossum gave Furby an 80% chance of survival if she perfomed the
TDL.
Furby died within one hour after surgery from cardiac arrest.
I flew back to Los Angeles with a completely broken heart and Furby's
cremated remains.
Furby was the absolute love of my life.
I am still getting over his loss.
I feel badly now about all of times (over 20) that he had to endure
having his chest drained of chyle (thoracentesis) with a needle into
his chest wall.
I would have done anything to save my baby's life.
I don't know how old that he was as I found him as a stray.
I would recommend to you, NOT, to proceed with the surgery.
Please keep Rascal comfortable.
I beg of you to be merciful and not let him suffer.
The prognosis is very poor.
I'm so very sorry.
See the link below for more information on TDL and Dr. Fossum.
I feel that Dr. Fossum is a bit too optimistic.
I wish that the surgery had been successful for Furby.
My thoughts are with you and Rascal at this very difficult time.

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/wsava/2006/lecture25/Fossum7.pdf?LA=1

Jamie[_2_]
March 20th 07, 11:53 PM
On Mar 20, 3:41 pm, "Jamie" > wrote:
> [...]
> cremated remains.
> Furby was the absolute love of my life.
> I am still getting over his loss.
> I feel badly now about all of times (over 20) that he had to endure
> having his chest drained of chyle (thoracentesis) with a needle into
> his chest wall.
> I would have done anything to save my baby's life.
> I don't know how old that he was as I found him as a stray.
> I would recommend to you, NOT, to proceed with the surgery.
> Please keep Rascal comfortable.
> I beg of you to be merciful and not let him suffer.
> The prognosis is very poor.
> I'm so very sorry.
> See the link below for more information on TDL and Dr. Fossum.
> I feel that Dr. Fossum is a bit too optimistic.
> I wish that the surgery had been successful for Furby.
> My thoughts are with you and Rascal at this very difficult time.

http://newsarchives.tamu.edu/stories/02/091902-3.html

svu geek
March 21st 07, 08:39 AM

> Hello,
> In VERY rare occasions chylothorax will just spontanenously cease.
> The chance of that is exceedingly rare.
> Homeopathy usually doesn't work.
> Rutin therapy might help, but it takes a very long time to help, if it
> does at all.
> Some cats get nauseated and vomit on high doses of Rutin.
> A low fat diet is crucial as fat helps to make the production of
> chyle.
> Lasix doesn't help to remove chyle.
> Steroids do not work to prevent chyle.
> With idiopathic chylothorax there might have been a trauma to the
> thoracic cavity at one time (hit by car, etc.?) or even possibly the
> cat may have had a heartworm.
> Idiopathic Chylothorax via trauma, however, is rare.

Where did you hear that Lasix doesn't help to remove the chyle? I've
never heard that before.

My grandma's cat was diagnosed with idiopathic Chylothorax three or
four years ago. He's about 6 y/o now and he's doing pretty good. He's
been on Rutin and only had the fluid removed once or twice, I think. I
don't think they ran any tests other then blood work, urinalysis,
xrays, and I think an ultrasound. I'm wondering now if maybe he
should've had other tests such as heartworm, FeLV, and FIV? Or maybe
other tests that I'm not aware of? Any opinions on this? My grandma
loves that cat and if anything happened to him she'd be heartbroken.