PDA

View Full Version : My mother's kitten is lost

Lynne
March 19th 07, 11:37 PM
My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten accidentally got out
yesterday and is still missing. She and I are both sick with worry. It's
cold and rainy here today and she's a very small, very skittish cat.

My mother has called all the local vets and kennels and put up signs,
walked for hours calling her and is currently knocking on all of her
neighbors' doors to show them photos of her and leave her phone numbers
with them. What else can she do?

One of her doors doesn't latch very well and apparently it blew open and
the kitten went outside. Her other cat did, too, but she was sitting on
the deck when my mother realized the door was open. The kitten doesn't
have any identificatin (and I could kill my mother for this one).

To top it off, she fed the kitten a pouch of suspect wet Nutro just a few
days ago...

--
Lynne

Gail
March 19th 07, 11:44 PM
Continue to look for the kitten locally and continue to tell all of the
neighbors. Also, call the animal shelters. The kitten may hide in a garage
or shed and be accidentally locked in by someone.
Gail
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten accidentally got out
> yesterday and is still missing. She and I are both sick with worry. It's
> cold and rainy here today and she's a very small, very skittish cat.
>
> My mother has called all the local vets and kennels and put up signs,
> walked for hours calling her and is currently knocking on all of her
> neighbors' doors to show them photos of her and leave her phone numbers
> with them. What else can she do?
>
> One of her doors doesn't latch very well and apparently it blew open and
> the kitten went outside. Her other cat did, too, but she was sitting on
> the deck when my mother realized the door was open. The kitten doesn't
> have any identificatin (and I could kill my mother for this one).
>
> To top it off, she fed the kitten a pouch of suspect wet Nutro just a few
> days ago...
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
March 20th 07, 12:05 AM
on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:44:08 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

> Continue to look for the kitten locally and continue to tell all of
> the neighbors. Also, call the animal shelters. The kitten may hide in
> a garage or shed and be accidentally locked in by someone.

That's why I told her to knock on EVERYONE's doors. I told her she might
be trapped in a shed or garage somewhere. This kitten is so shy that she
won't make a peep if she is. It's killing me to think of this tiny girl
out in the cold rain, or trapped somewhere without food and water. I fear
this isn't going to end well.

If my Levi was lost and I couldn't find him, I'd have to be on major
sedatives.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
March 20th 07, 12:29 AM
On Mon 19 Mar 2007 07:37:39p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten
> accidentally got out yesterday and is still missing. She and I
> are both sick with worry. It's cold and rainy here today and
> she's a very small, very skittish cat.

Not too long ago a friends cat got out (slipped out unseen when her
BF was taking the dog out for a walk is all they could figure) and
she was freaking out, too, as I would be, and you would be. All I
could tell her was to look *low* and look near the house. In the
bushes. And don't expect kitty to come to her when called. Also,
check those same places often. If kitty is lying in wait nearby
and sees her, then sees her go back in, kitty is likely to stay
nearby. Check those same low-lying places often. If kitty is
skittish, he is probably just staying still. Tell her to go out
with treats *often*. Keep going to the same place and call softly.
This is how my friend found her cat -- close to the door and right
in the bushes. The same bushes she'd checked a few times already.
Kitty was probably watching her, then *remembered* her through the
fear of being out there. Her cat was shaking badly when she was
able to pick him up.

Best wishes to your mom. I'd be a wreck, too. I even have dreams
about my cats getting out, because the road here is way too busy,
and my cats are not street smart. I have woken in cold sweat
because the nightmares seem so real. It could happen, but I think
we have an understanding about the door.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
March 20th 07, 12:40 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:29:22 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Not too long ago a friends cat got out (slipped out unseen when her
> BF was taking the dog out for a walk is all they could figure) and
> she was freaking out, too, as I would be, and you would be. All I
> could tell her was to look *low* and look near the house. In the
> bushes. And don't expect kitty to come to her when called. Also,
> check those same places often. If kitty is lying in wait nearby
> and sees her, then sees her go back in, kitty is likely to stay
> nearby. Check those same low-lying places often. If kitty is
> skittish, he is probably just staying still. Tell her to go out
> with treats *often*. Keep going to the same place and call softly.
> This is how my friend found her cat -- close to the door and right
> in the bushes. The same bushes she'd checked a few times already.
> Kitty was probably watching her, then *remembered* her through the
> fear of being out there. Her cat was shaking badly when she was
> able to pick him up.
>
> Best wishes to your mom. I'd be a wreck, too. I even have dreams
> about my cats getting out, because the road here is way too busy,
> and my cats are not street smart. I have woken in cold sweat
> because the nightmares seem so real. It could happen, but I think
> we have an understanding about the door.

Thank you. I will pass along your advice to my mom. I'm a wreck for
her, and when I think of Levi getting out I FREAK. Rudy has gotten out
in the past a few times (before I knew he could open doors and started
locking them religiously). He just hangs out on the deck, so I wouldn't
worry about him, but Levi... *shudder*

My mother's little kitten is tiny for her age, and so shy... I hope you
are right and that she's near the house. I just hope she's staying dry.
This weather is perfect for hypothermia and that's got me pretty scared.
She must be so afraid.

My mother got this kitten for my daughter and I dread giving her the news
if she doesn't find her.

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 20th 07, 01:08 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:57:20 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Shamrock is my least skittish cat; loves all people, never afraid
> of anything. But he is also one that got outside a couple of years
> ago when I was having some work done in my house. The workers
> didn't pull the storm door shut and had the interior door open.
> Shamrock pushed his way out, and I didn't know it. Whenever someone
> was here doing something, he played the part of "supervisor" and
> usually could be found inspecting their work. One of the guys
> yelled up to me that a black and white cat was outside and wanted
> in. Was he mine? At that time there was a black/white stray
> hanging around that I fed, so I thought it was he that the worker
> was talking about. Then I realized I hadn't seen Shamrock in a
> while, ran outside and saw him scoot into my neighbors yard. I
> called to him, and he meowed at me, but wouldn't come. When I
> walked toward him, he ran *toward the road*, then changed direction
> and ran through the gate into my backyard. My heart stopped when
> he ran toward the road.

UGH! Mine did just reading that.

> Trucks regularly speed by. When I followed
> him into the backyard, he was HOWLING at the back door with the
> most soulful sounding voice. He'd had enough of the scary outside.

Thank goodness!

> Since then I round up all cats when I have company or work done in
> my house and they spend the time in my bedroom, safe from escape.

I'm having my basement finished right now and I lock the cats in my room
whenever there is anyone here working. (I also don't want them exposed
to the dust down there.)

> Shadow (RB) pushed a screen out of a window once soon after I moved
> in this house, and I found him chomping grass on the side lawn like
> it was one of his normal activities. He didn't try to run when I
> went to get him to bring him back in. I have screen reinforcements
> now. People might think I'm overly cautious because so many cats
> get out all the time. But the road I live on is not at all cat-
> friendly. It's barely people friendly.

I live on a 25 mph residential street on which people regularly speed. I
am appalled by the number of people who let their cats (and dogs!) roam
here. I once witnessed a dog get hit by a speeding car on a street in
front of a friend's business, it was horrifying. Even worse is that the
driver kept going, the mofo. I was closest to the road and ran out to
wave off cars that might hit him again, and then I callously chewed out
the owner for letting him wander off-leash (I was so ****ed). Thankfully
the dog was okay for the most part. I had a good talk with the owner
later that night, but people who put their animals at risk really **** me
off so I don't feel bad about reading him the riot act.

So where do you get screen guards? I would like to put some in. My
windows are floor to ceiling and I only have the bottom half screened.
Levi likes to climb the screens and I fear he will tear one and get out
one of these days.

--
Lynne

cindys
March 20th 07, 01:14 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:44:08 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:
>
>> Continue to look for the kitten locally and continue to tell all of
>> the neighbors. Also, call the animal shelters. The kitten may hide in
>> a garage or shed and be accidentally locked in by someone.
>
> That's why I told her to knock on EVERYONE's doors. I told her she might
> be trapped in a shed or garage somewhere. This kitten is so shy that she
> won't make a peep if she is. It's killing me to think of this tiny girl
> out in the cold rain, or trapped somewhere without food and water. I fear
> this isn't going to end well.
>
> If my Levi was lost and I couldn't find him, I'd have to be on major
> sedatives.
----------
Yup. Imagine having a lost cat during your father's funeral. It happened to
me. I was totally panicked. All I could think about was the cat (whom I
eventually did find after three days). My thought on your mother's kitten is
that she is somewhere on the property or on the next door neighbor's
property, under a deck, in a shed, in a garage. Indoor kitties who get out
generally do not wander very far. My cat turned out to be under my next door
neighbor's deck, hidden way, way under. I was calling her for several
minutes (my gut feeling told me she was under there). After quite some time,
I finally heard a faint, plaintive mew, and she slowly came out. I would
suggest that your mom revisit the places she has already been (like nearby
decks and sheds. Just because the kitten didn't come out the first time
doesn't mean she isn't there). Purrs that she will soon be home safe and
sound.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Cheryl
March 20th 07, 01:18 AM
On Mon 19 Mar 2007 09:08:18p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> So where do you get screen guards? I would like to put some in.
> My windows are floor to ceiling and I only have the bottom half
> screened. Levi likes to climb the screens and I fear he will
> tear one and get out one of these days.

My windows aren't exactly floor to ceiling, but they're double-hung.
I got the 2' high adjustable screens; they have them in different
sizes.

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/windowscreens

These are working out well. They fit in the grooves in front of the
built-in screen.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
March 20th 07, 01:51 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:14:56 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> Yup. Imagine having a lost cat during your father's funeral. It
> happened to me. I was totally panicked. All I could think about was
> the cat (whom I eventually did find after three days).

Jeez, talk about a double blow. Thank goodness you found her!

> My thought on
> your mother's kitten is that she is somewhere on the property or on
> the next door neighbor's property, under a deck, in a shed, in a
> garage. Indoor kitties who get out generally do not wander very far.
> My cat turned out to be under my next door neighbor's deck, hidden
> way, way under. I was calling her for several minutes (my gut feeling
> told me she was under there). After quite some time, I finally heard a
> faint, plaintive mew, and she slowly came out. I would suggest that
> your mom revisit the places she has already been (like nearby decks
> and sheds. Just because the kitten didn't come out the first time
> doesn't mean she isn't there). Purrs that she will soon be home safe
> and sound.

Thank you. I encouraged her to look closer to home and to look
frequently. She's beside herself with worry and I am sure she won't
sleep again tonight. So now I'm worry about my mom, too. *sigh*

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 20th 07, 02:01 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:18:31 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> My windows aren't exactly floor to ceiling, but they're double-hung.
> I got the 2' high adjustable screens; they have them in different
> sizes.
>
> http://www.doityourself.com/icat/windowscreens
>
> These are working out well. They fit in the grooves in front of the
> built-in screen.

I was searching for on pet screen guards and found some really heavy duty
screen material designed to replace the standard stuff in the actual frame
of the screen. I may try that in my screen door, and if it works (goes in
easily and resists tearing), I'll replace the screening in all of my
windows. The downside is that it's not as easy to see through, but I can
live with that. That's why I only have screens in the bottom half of my
windows, so as not to obstruct the view.

--
Lynne

22brix
March 20th 07, 02:03 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 19 Mar 2007 08:40:25p, Lynne wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> m>:
>
>> Rudy has gotten out
>> in the past a few times (before I knew he could open doors and
>> started locking them religiously). He just hangs out on the
>> deck, so I wouldn't worry about him, but Levi... *shudder*
>
> Shamrock is my least skittish cat; loves all people, never afraid
> of anything. But he is also one that got outside a couple of years
> ago when I was having some work done in my house. The workers
> didn't pull the storm door shut and had the interior door open.
> Shamrock pushed his way out, and I didn't know it. Whenever someone
> was here doing something, he played the part of "supervisor" and
> usually could be found inspecting their work. One of the guys
> yelled up to me that a black and white cat was outside and wanted
> in. Was he mine? At that time there was a black/white stray
> hanging around that I fed, so I thought it was he that the worker
> was talking about. Then I realized I hadn't seen Shamrock in a
> while, ran outside and saw him scoot into my neighbors yard. I
> called to him, and he meowed at me, but wouldn't come. When I
> walked toward him, he ran *toward the road*, then changed direction
> and ran through the gate into my backyard. My heart stopped when
> he ran toward the road. Trucks regularly speed by. When I followed
> him into the backyard, he was HOWLING at the back door with the
> most soulful sounding voice. He'd had enough of the scary outside.
> Since then I round up all cats when I have company or work done in
> my house and they spend the time in my bedroom, safe from escape.
>
> Shadow (RB) pushed a screen out of a window once soon after I moved
> in this house, and I found him chomping grass on the side lawn like
> it was one of his normal activities. He didn't try to run when I
> went to get him to bring him back in. I have screen reinforcements
> now. People might think I'm overly cautious because so many cats
> get out all the time. But the road I live on is not at all cat-
> friendly. It's barely people friendly.
>
> --
> Cheryl

This weekend I heard some horrible caterwauling outside--I've been feeding a
semi-feral black cat for several months now and figured he was somehow
involved. I went outside and there were two black cats facing off against
each other like mirror images. Imagine my immense surprise when one of them
ran over to me, completely puffed up, practically double in size--it turned
out to be my totally inside cat Gollum. He was very happy to be picked up
and cuddled. As far as we can tell, he got out when my husband went outside
briefly. He is lightning fast and my hubby (who was chastised greatly for
not paying attention!) didn't notice him lurking by the front door. We are
now using a door from our utility room to go in an out, until Gollum loses
interest. The front door is temporarily barricaded to remind us not to use
that door! I shudder to think what might happen to him! Too many big scary
things out there!

Bonnie

Cheryl
March 20th 07, 02:12 AM
On Mon 19 Mar 2007 10:03:12p, 22brix wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> He is lightning fast and my hubby (who was chastised greatly for
> not paying attention!) didn't notice him lurking by the front
> door. We are now using a door from our utility room to go in an
> out, until Gollum loses interest. The front door is temporarily
> barricaded to remind us not to use that door! I shudder to
> think what might happen to him! Too many big scary things out
> there!

I'm glad you got him in! Scary!

--
Cheryl

Lynne
March 20th 07, 02:13 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:03:12 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> This weekend I heard some horrible caterwauling outside--I've been
> feeding a semi-feral black cat for several months now and figured he
> was somehow involved. I went outside and there were two black cats
> facing off against each other like mirror images. Imagine my immense
> surprise when one of them ran over to me, completely puffed up,
> practically double in size--it turned out to be my totally inside cat
> Gollum. He was very happy to be picked up and cuddled. As far as we
> can tell, he got out when my husband went outside briefly. He is
> lightning fast and my hubby (who was chastised greatly for not paying
> attention!) didn't notice him lurking by the front door. We are now
> using a door from our utility room to go in an out, until Gollum loses
> interest. The front door is temporarily barricaded to remind us not
> to use that door! I shudder to think what might happen to him! Too
> many big scary things out there!

Amen.

When I got my first kitten I was in college and lived in a hippie house
with 7 other people and tons of people coming and going all the time. I
was horrified one day when I came home and my tiny black kitten was
outside. I had no intention of letting him go outside, but my roommates
and our friends were forever letting him out and eventually I gave into
it (because once he got used to it, there was no keeping him in). He
grew into a big, mean cat and even though I had him neutered at 6 months
of age, he was always getting into fights. He always came home at night,
though.

My second cat was also indoor/outdoor but he never got into fights. He
was super sweet his entire 21 years. He did get terrorized by a
neighbor's chow at one place where we lived, but only once. I threatened
to kill the dog's owner if his dog hurt my cat, hehe. Now that I am
older and wiser and my cats are indoor-only, I am terrified of what can
happen to them out there.

I hope my mother's sweet little kitten is okay. I can't focus on
anything, I'm so worried.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
March 20th 07, 02:17 AM
On Mon 19 Mar 2007 10:01:41p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> I was searching for on pet screen guards and found some really
> heavy duty screen material designed to replace the standard
> stuff in the actual frame of the screen. I may try that in my
> screen door, and if it works (goes in easily and resists
> tearing), I'll replace the screening in all of my windows. The
> downside is that it's not as easy to see through, but I can live
> with that. That's why I only have screens in the bottom half of
> my windows, so as not to obstruct the view.

Your windows might be different, but it wasn't that they can get
through the screen leaving the frame intact, but that the clips
that are meant to hold the screen in the frame ... don't .. when
too much pressure is applied. So stronger screen material won't
work here. The opposite could be true, though. I've seen screen
material that "gives", or literally stretches. This means that
the screen will move outward leaving the frame in the window.
Rather than a stronger screen material, I'd opt for either a
double reinforcement using a separate screen like I have, or a
flexible screen material like this one:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/Parent.asp?product=148794x&dept%5Fid=15000&subdept%5Fid=15110

--
Cheryl

Lynne
March 20th 07, 02:22 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:17:57 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Your windows might be different, but it wasn't that they can get
> through the screen leaving the frame intact, but that the clips
> that are meant to hold the screen in the frame ... don't .. when
> too much pressure is applied. So stronger screen material won't
> work here. The opposite could be true, though. I've seen screen
> material that "gives", or literally stretches. This means that
> the screen will move outward leaving the frame in the window.
> Rather than a stronger screen material, I'd opt for either a
> double reinforcement using a separate screen like I have, or a
> flexible screen material like this one:
>
> http://www.improvementscatalog.com/Parent.asp?product=148794x&dept%5Fid
> =15000&subdept%5Fid=15110

Gotcha. My paranoia is on high tonight, apparently. My screens are solid
in the frame--the windows are only a couple of years old. The screen would
tear before the frame would pop out. I actually worry about Levi ripping
the screen and getting out, but I imagine it would be a slow process (if it
happens at all). I do like that flexible screening, though. I'm thinking
that might be very good with the new puppy on the way!

--
Lynne

22brix
March 20th 07, 03:15 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:03:12 GMT, "22brix" >
> wrote:
>

> I hope my mother's sweet little kitten is okay. I can't focus on
> anything, I'm so worried.
>
> --
> Lynne

I know the feeling so well--I've had several cats get out over the years and
I have been lucky--they've all been found alive and healthy. I'm sure she
probably already has but did your Mother also post signs at local shelters/
animal control, etc.? Are there any local radio stations that report lost
and found animals? There is one in our area that used to--don't know if
they still do but it would be helpful if they did.

I truly hope your Mother's kitty is okay.

Bonnie

Stacey Weinberger
March 20th 07, 03:43 AM
What I did when one of my cats got out after I moved was leave the back door
open with the light on and a bowl of water. I was worried sick because he
didn't know the area, is an indoor cat, and the house is in the woods. He
showed up in the middle of the night.

Good luck!

Stacey

"Lynne" > wrote in message
> My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten accidentally got out
> yesterday and is still missing. She and I are both sick with worry. It's
> cold and rainy here today and she's a very small, very skittish cat.
>
> My mother has called all the local vets and kennels and put up signs,
> walked for hours calling her and is currently knocking on all of her
> neighbors' doors to show them photos of her and leave her phone numbers
> with them. What else can she do?
>
> One of her doors doesn't latch very well and apparently it blew open and
> the kitten went outside. Her other cat did, too, but she was sitting on
> the deck when my mother realized the door was open. The kitten doesn't
> have any identificatin (and I could kill my mother for this one).
>
> To top it off, she fed the kitten a pouch of suspect wet Nutro just a few
> days ago...
>
> --
> Lynne

MaryL
March 20th 07, 04:52 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten accidentally got out
> yesterday and is still missing. She and I are both sick with worry. It's
> cold and rainy here today and she's a very small, very skittish cat.
>
> My mother has called all the local vets and kennels and put up signs,
> walked for hours calling her and is currently knocking on all of her
> neighbors' doors to show them photos of her and leave her phone numbers
> with them. What else can she do?
>
> One of her doors doesn't latch very well and apparently it blew open and
> the kitten went outside. Her other cat did, too, but she was sitting on
> the deck when my mother realized the door was open. The kitten doesn't
> have any identificatin (and I could kill my mother for this one).
>
> To top it off, she fed the kitten a pouch of suspect wet Nutro just a few
> days ago...
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne,

Since your mother's kitten is skittish, it's likely that the only way she
can catch the cat is to set up a couple of humane traps and bait them with
strong-scented food (such as tuna). Also, please look at this message that
was written by Candace in 2004. It has some very good suggestions for
locating a lost cat (and the woman the message was posted to did recover her
cat by using traps):
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.pets.cats.health+behav/msg/a42a6317bd804996

MaryL

Rhonda
March 20th 07, 06:42 AM
Lynne, if she's not used to being outside and is skittish, she is
probably hiding out not far from home.

This happened to our former-feral 6 month old years ago. We walked
around the yard with her favorite toy, and also rattling the lid of a
cat food can which always brought her running, but no luck. She was too
terrified. We knew she had to be around there somewhere.

Two things I would try -- one is a live trap. Maybe put it in a
partially hidden place, like under a bush.

Second is what worked for us -- we left the a door partially open and
she found her way in. Ours was a garage with a door to the inside. She
had never been outside or in the garage but she found her way. She
probably could hear us and smell familiar smells. Putting one of your
mom's recently-worn shirts nearby might help her find her way.

Maybe even an outside door could be partially opened and the other cat
blocked out of that room.

Good luck, I hope she finds her way home soon.

Rhonda

Lynne wrote:
> My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten accidentally got out
> yesterday and is still missing. She and I are both sick with worry. It's
> cold and rainy here today and she's a very small, very skittish cat.
>
> My mother has called all the local vets and kennels and put up signs,
> walked for hours calling her and is currently knocking on all of her
> neighbors' doors to show them photos of her and leave her phone numbers
> with them. What else can she do?
>
> One of her doors doesn't latch very well and apparently it blew open and
> the kitten went outside. Her other cat did, too, but she was sitting on
> the deck when my mother realized the door was open. The kitten doesn't
> have any identificatin (and I could kill my mother for this one).
>
> To top it off, she fed the kitten a pouch of suspect wet Nutro just a few
> days ago...

kraut
March 20th 07, 12:40 PM
AND FIX THE DOOR!!!!

If a cat got out before already the door should have been fixed then!!
Wait until a cat gets out and gets killed then fix it why don't
you?!?!

It does not take a rocket sciencetist to know enough to fix the
frigging door!!!

>Continue to look for the kitten locally and continue to tell all of the
>neighbors. Also, call the animal shelters. The kitten may hide in a garage
>or shed and be accidentally locked in by someone.
>Gail

>> My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten accidentally got out
>> yesterday and is still missing. She and I are both sick with worry. It's
>> cold and rainy here today and she's a very small, very skittish cat.
>>
>> My mother has called all the local vets and kennels and put up signs,
>> walked for hours calling her and is currently knocking on all of her
>> neighbors' doors to show them photos of her and leave her phone numbers
>> with them. What else can she do?
>>
>> One of her doors doesn't latch very well and apparently it blew open and
>> the kitten went outside. Her other cat did, too, but she was sitting on
>> the deck when my mother realized the door was open. The kitten doesn't
>> have any identificatin (and I could kill my mother for this one).
>>
>> To top it off, she fed the kitten a pouch of suspect wet Nutro just a few
>> days ago...
>>
>> --
>> Lynne

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=

JohnR66
March 20th 07, 01:01 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> My mother's indoor, very skittish 9 month old kitten accidentally got out
> yesterday and is still missing. She and I are both sick with worry. It's
> cold and rainy here today and she's a very small, very skittish cat.
>
> My mother has called all the local vets and kennels and put up signs,
> walked for hours calling her and is currently knocking on all of her
> neighbors' doors to show them photos of her and leave her phone numbers
> with them. What else can she do?
>
> One of her doors doesn't latch very well and apparently it blew open and
> the kitten went outside. Her other cat did, too, but she was sitting on
> the deck when my mother realized the door was open. The kitten doesn't
> have any identificatin (and I could kill my mother for this one).
>
> To top it off, she fed the kitten a pouch of suspect wet Nutro just a few
> days ago...
>
> --
> Lynne

My 1 year old cat "Snickers" got out a couple weeks ago on evening Just
after 8pm. I checked outside every hour or so until 11pm. Before going to
bed, I set a small amout of food out. The next morning before leaving for
work, I looked around again. The food was untouched. When I returned home,
the food was not eaten and I began to write him off. Around 9pm that night I
heard him pawling and meowing at the door. Hunger got the better of him. He
ate the food and wanted back in.

Hopefully your Mom's cat returns. Cats like to check new environments out.
They may be out for a day or more, but in most cases they get hungry and
come back.
John

Lynne
March 20th 07, 02:03 PM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:42:14 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:

> Second is what worked for us -- we left the a door partially open and
> she found her way in. Ours was a garage with a door to the inside. She
> had never been outside or in the garage but she found her way. She
> probably could hear us and smell familiar smells. Putting one of your
> mom's recently-worn shirts nearby might help her find her way.
>
> Maybe even an outside door could be partially opened and the other cat
> blocked out of that room.
>
> Good luck, I hope she finds her way home soon.

She's home! She's home! My mom left the garage door partially open last
night and this morning she found her kitten in the garage!!

Thanks to everyone for the concern and the advice. I think my old mother
will definitely learn from this.

--
Lynne

22brix
March 20th 07, 02:10 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:42:14 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:
>

>> Good luck, I hope she finds her way home soon.
>>

> She's home! She's home! My mom left the garage door partially open last
> night and this morning she found her kitten in the garage!!
>
> Thanks to everyone for the concern and the advice. I think my old mother
> will definitely learn from this.
>
> --
> Lynne

Happy dance, happy dance! Fantastic!! It's wonderful to hear some good
news once in a while!! I'll bet you have one happy little cat! I'm glad
for your mother as well--what a relief!

Bonnie

cindys
March 20th 07, 02:36 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:42:14 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:
>
>> Second is what worked for us -- we left the a door partially open and
>> she found her way in. Ours was a garage with a door to the inside. She
>> had never been outside or in the garage but she found her way. She
>> probably could hear us and smell familiar smells. Putting one of your
>> mom's recently-worn shirts nearby might help her find her way.
>>
>> Maybe even an outside door could be partially opened and the other cat
>> blocked out of that room.
>>
>> Good luck, I hope she finds her way home soon.
>>

> She's home! She's home! My mom left the garage door partially open last
> night and this morning she found her kitten in the garage!!
-----------
I am SO HAPPY for all of you. Having been there, I know how this feels...the
dread when you think you're never going to see your kitty again and the
feeling of elation when you get her back. Happy purrs for the whole family
:-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Gail
March 20th 07, 03:04 PM
Make sure the kitten is spayed and have your mother fix the door.
Gail
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>> on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:42:14 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:
>>
>>> Second is what worked for us -- we left the a door partially open and
>>> she found her way in. Ours was a garage with a door to the inside. She
>>> had never been outside or in the garage but she found her way. She
>>> probably could hear us and smell familiar smells. Putting one of your
>>> mom's recently-worn shirts nearby might help her find her way.
>>>
>>> Maybe even an outside door could be partially opened and the other cat
>>> blocked out of that room.
>>>
>>> Good luck, I hope she finds her way home soon.
>>>

>> She's home! She's home! My mom left the garage door partially open last
>> night and this morning she found her kitten in the garage!!
> -----------
> I am SO HAPPY for all of you. Having been there, I know how this
> feels...the dread when you think you're never going to see your kitty
> again and the feeling of elation when you get her back. Happy purrs for
> the whole family :-)
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Gail Futoran
March 20th 07, 08:40 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message

> She's home! She's home! My mom left the garage door partially open
> last
> night and this morning she found her kitten in the garage!!
>
> Thanks to everyone for the concern and the advice. I think my old
> mother
> will definitely learn from this.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne, that's great news! I've had cats go
walk-about and I've been fortunate in that
they all made it home. But that isn't always
the outcome. I'm happy for you and your
mom that her kitten came home. :)

Gail F.
Minya, Lao Ma, Ephiny, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby

Cheryl
March 21st 07, 02:52 AM
On Tue 20 Mar 2007 10:03:51a, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> She's home! She's home! My mom left the garage door partially
> open last night and this morning she found her kitten in the
> garage!!
>
> Thanks to everyone for the concern and the advice. I think my
> old mother will definitely learn from this.

Oh, what a relief! I thought a lot about you guys and the kitten
today and I'm so glad there is a happy ending.

--
Cheryl