PDA

View Full Version : cat poop stinks

Lynne
March 20th 07, 12:53 AM
I've read a few times on this newsgroup that if you feed a high quality
food, your cats' poop won't stink too badly. I call BS on that one. I've
been feeding my cats Innova Evo for several months and it doesn't get much
better than that. Their poop stinks to HIGH heaven, far more than it ever
did on Nutro. So much so that I open the bathroom window after one of them
poops, even when it's below freezing, just to help mitigate the odor.

I'm off to scoop the box. Pee-ew!

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
March 20th 07, 01:21 AM
Try some Royal Canin for indoor cats - it even says it will help the
smell. It is hard food that I sprinkle on top of the canned.

On Mar 19, 7:53�pm, Lynne > wrote:
> I've read a few times on this newsgroup that if you feed a high quality
> food, your cats' poop won't stink too badly. *I call BS on that one. *I've
> been feeding my cats Innova Evo for several months and it doesn't get much
> better than that. *Their poop stinks to HIGH heaven, far more than it ever
> did on Nutro. *So much so that I open the bathroom window after one of them *
> poops, even when it's below freezing, just to help mitigate the odor.
>
> I'm off to scoop the box. *Pee-ew!
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
March 20th 07, 01:28 AM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:21:25 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> Try some Royal Canin for indoor cats - it even says it will help the
> smell. It is hard food that I sprinkle on top of the canned.

They are doing so well on the Innova Evo that I am not inclined to change
them, or add anything. Rudy was tough to switch over. I just expected the
smell to decrease, not increase when I switched them--based on what I've
read on this ng. Stinky poop isn't enough of a reason for me to change
what's working. But hey, at least the poop never goes unnoticed around
here, so it doesn't stay in the boxes long!

Perhaps that's why Rudy has started dragging in other objects to cover it
up?

--
Lynne

Scott
March 26th 07, 05:50 AM
**** stinks.

Imagine that.....

kitkat via CatKB.com
March 27th 07, 01:05 AM
I had a problem with SUPER stinky poop with one of my cats and then both of
them - I was feeding them prescribed food from the vet so I knew it was good
stuff (it better be for $25 a bag)...turned out they had round worms...can't
see them with the naked eye - you'll need to get a poop sample and bring it
to the vet - you'll likely get a call in 24 hours.

I'm going to put money on the fact that one of them has worms. and my cats
are both indoor cats so it doesn't just happen with outdoor cats.

Lynne
March 27th 07, 01:24 AM
on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:05:29 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I had a problem with SUPER stinky poop with one of my cats and then
> both of them - I was feeding them prescribed food from the vet so I
> knew it was good stuff (it better be for $25 a bag)...turned out they
> had round worms...can't see them with the naked eye - you'll need to
> get a poop sample and bring it to the vet - you'll likely get a call
> in 24 hours.
>
> I'm going to put money on the fact that one of them has worms. and my
> cats are both indoor cats so it doesn't just happen with outdoor cats.

My cats are both on monthly Interceptor, so I know they don't have round
worms. BTW, you can see round worms with the naked eye once they mature.
They look like spaghetti, only they move, and they are disgusting.

Interceptor, by the way, covers heartworms, hookworms, roundworms and
whipworms. The only worm it doesn't cover is tapeworm, and I haven't
seen any evidence of that. Indoor-only cats can and do get intestinal
worms, so that's why I give them Interceptor.

I wondered if the L-lysine I give Levi had something to do with the
horrible stench, but there has been no change since I stopped feeding the
canned (and therefore stopped the L-lysine, which I sprinkled on the wet
food), so that's not it, either.

Different foods result in poop with different smells. High quality food
doesn't neccessarily equate to less stinky poop is all I'm saying. The
possibility of worms was, however, an excellent point. Whenever there is
a change like that which can't be explained, a trip to the vet is
definitely in order. In our case, though, the increased stink correlated
with the switch to Innova Evo (canned and dry).

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
March 27th 07, 01:34 AM
I totally agree with the worm thing. BUT I also think that males
smell more than females - just a thought!!

On Mar 26, 8:24�pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:05:29 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > I had a problem with SUPER stinky poop with one of my cats and then
> > both of them - I was feeding them prescribed food from the vet so I
> > knew it was good stuff (it better be for $25 a bag)...turned out they
> > had round worms...can't see them with the naked eye - you'll need to
> > get a poop sample and bring it to the vet - you'll likely get a call
> > in 24 hours.
>
> > I'm going to put money on the fact that one of them has worms. *and my
> > cats are both indoor cats so it doesn't just happen with outdoor cats.
>
> My cats are both on monthly Interceptor, so I know they don't have round
> worms. *BTW, you can see round worms with the naked eye once they mature. *
> They look like spaghetti, only they move, and they are disgusting.
>
> Interceptor, by the way, covers heartworms, hookworms, roundworms and
> whipworms. *The only worm it doesn't cover is tapeworm, and I haven't
> seen any evidence of that. *Indoor-only cats can and do get intestinal
> worms, so that's why I give them Interceptor.
>
> I wondered if the L-lysine I give Levi had something to do with the
> horrible stench, but there has been no change since I stopped feeding the
> canned (and therefore stopped the L-lysine, which I sprinkled on the wet
> food), so that's not it, either.
>
> Different foods result in poop with different smells. *High quality food
> doesn't neccessarily equate to less stinky poop is all I'm saying. *The
> possibility of worms was, however, an excellent point. *Whenever there is
> a change like that which can't be explained, a trip to the vet is
> definitely in order. *In our case, though, the increased stink correlated
> with the switch to Innova Evo (canned and dry).
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
March 27th 07, 01:51 AM
on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:34:05 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> I totally agree with the worm thing. BUT I also think that males
> smell more than females - just a thought!!

You could very well be right--it sure makes sense--but I've never had
female cats. So in relation to my other males (and really, to themselves,
pre-Innova), their poop reeks!

I'll be interested to see if the smell diminishes when I switch them to
Felidae.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
March 27th 07, 03:26 PM
On 27 Mar, 01:51, Lynne > wrote:
> on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:34:05 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
> > I totally agree with the worm thing. BUT I also think that males
> > smell more than females - just a thought!!
>
> You could very well be right--it sure makes sense--but I've never had
> female cats. So in relation to my other males (and really, to themselves,
> pre-Innova), their poop reeks!
>
> I'll be interested to see if the smell diminishes when I switch them to
> Felidae.
>
> --
> Lynne

I have to agree with this theory.

I have 4 females who visit the conveniences, & you honestly wouldn't
know they just paid a visit.. but when either one of the 3 boys goes
if they happen to be indoors, it whiff's like hell
S;o)