PDA

View Full Version : Pet food recall--Menu Foods

March 20th 07, 04:49 AM
Wonder if they were using cheaper ingredients to try and get better
financial results?

The last two sections of the story on Bloomberg are telling.

Menu Foods Income Fund went public by selling units at C$10 each to
buy 51 percent of the assets of Menu Foods Ltd. Income trusts avoid
paying most taxes because they pay out most of their cash flow to unit
holders.

The trust suspended payouts in December 2005 to conserve cash after a
rise the Canadian dollar reduced the value of U.S. sales and a large
customer reduced orders.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aRZP.Z_r50ac&refer=canada

barb
March 20th 07, 03:25 PM
Interesting. Guess they are really going to see reduced customer orders,
now.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

robert casey
March 23rd 07, 09:24 PM
barb wrote:
> Interesting. Guess they are really going to see reduced customer orders,
> now.

Heard something about rat poison getting into the food.

Cat Protector
March 24th 07, 01:47 AM
It looks like it is indeed rat poison and you have to wonder why Menu Foods
didn't act on this one sooner? I was at Petsmart today and some people are
definately buying other brands not on the recall list whether it's dry or
canned food. Though dry food was not affected, you have to wonder when
they'll be pulling it from store shelves. That seems to happen eventually.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"robert casey" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...

> Heard something about rat poison getting into the food.

Cheryl
March 24th 07, 02:00 AM
On Fri 23 Mar 2007 09:47:39p, Cat Protector wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> It looks like it is indeed rat poison and you have to wonder why
> Menu Foods didn't act on this one sooner? I was at Petsmart
> today and some people are definately buying other brands not on
> the recall list whether it's dry or canned food. Though dry food
> was not affected, you have to wonder when they'll be pulling it
> from store shelves. That seems to happen eventually.

Dry food isn't manufactured by Menu foods. However, I wonder how
many other manufacturers might have bought supplies of wheat from
that Chinese company. Was it sold for any human food? How will we
know?

--
Cheryl

oldhickory
March 25th 07, 05:30 AM
when there' s a rash of kidney failure in humans. Hmm...come to think of
it...my cousin's husband..nah, couldn't be...

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Fri 23 Mar 2007 09:47:39p, Cat Protector wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> It looks like it is indeed rat poison and you have to wonder why
>> Menu Foods didn't act on this one sooner? I was at Petsmart
>> today and some people are definately buying other brands not on
>> the recall list whether it's dry or canned food. Though dry food
>> was not affected, you have to wonder when they'll be pulling it
>> from store shelves. That seems to happen eventually.
>
> Dry food isn't manufactured by Menu foods. However, I wonder how
> many other manufacturers might have bought supplies of wheat from
> that Chinese company. Was it sold for any human food? How will we
> know?
>
> --
> Cheryl

robert casey
March 26th 07, 08:23 PM
Cat Protector wrote:

> It looks like it is indeed rat poison and you have to wonder why Menu Foods
> didn't act on this one sooner?

In their defense, they did routinely test the food on some in house cats
and dogs. Testing more to see if the pets like the taste of the food
(as raw materials vary as to what the purchasing dept can get a decent
deal on), not so much to test for poisons. And to start investigating
when their animals started getting sick and dying. And to recall the
bad food before too many (well one is too many) customers' pets out in
the field get sick or die.

> I was at Petsmart today and some people are
> definately buying other brands not on the recall list whether it's dry or
> canned food. Though dry food was not affected, you have to wonder when
> they'll be pulling it from store shelves. That seems to happen eventually.

Of course, if you love your pets, you dont want to risk it.