PDA

View Full Version : Behavioral Problems

Jenta
March 20th 07, 05:31 AM
I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in all
four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
with this?
Jenna

Matthew
March 20th 07, 05:38 AM
Google for your answer it will keep the peace for all involved
The question of declawing is going to open a can of worms that is getting
very old and tiresome in the cat groups.

"Jenta" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
> 5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
> telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
> telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
> behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in all
> four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
> too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
> with this?
> Jenna

cindys
March 20th 07, 06:13 AM
"Jenta" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
> 5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
> telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
> telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
> behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in all
> four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
> too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
> with this?
> Jenna
----------
I'm a little confused. Your cat didn't simply pass away. You previously
posted that you had your cat euthanized because you couldn't afford to pay
for his medical care (thyroid medication and visits to the veterinarian).
And now, you are now thinking of *buying* another cat? When you have a pet,
you are responsible for taking care of it. Part of that responsibility is
providing medical care. If you can't afford to pay for medical care, you
should not have a pet. BTW, how much does a declaw (aka mutilation)
currently cost? After doing a websearch, I would say that a ballpark figure
is around $150 to $200.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bookie
March 20th 07, 12:36 PM
On 20 Mar, 05:31, "Jenta" > wrote:
> I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
> 5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
> telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
> telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
> behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in all
> four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
> too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
> with this?
> Jenna

do not declaw your new cat if you get one, i repeat DO NOT DECLAW YOUR
CAT, it is cruel, unnecessary, and is basically inflicting lots of
pain and mutilation on an animal for no decent reason other than to
keep a few bits of furniture scratch free, it is basically animal
abuse and it is banned in every other country in the world apart from
america for a very good reason.

I shall stop there before i get all worked up, I know I will, but I
repeat DO NOT GET ANY ANIMAL DECLAWED.

bookie

Rene S.
March 20th 07, 01:10 PM
> I'm a little confused. Your cat didn't simply pass away. You previously
> posted that you had your cat euthanized because you couldn't afford to pay
> for his medical care (thyroid medication and visits to the veterinarian).
> And now, you are now thinking of *buying* another cat? When you have a pet,
> you are responsible for taking care of it. Part of that responsibility is
> providing medical care. If you can't afford to pay for medical care, you
> should not have a pet. BTW, how much does a declaw (aka mutilation)
> currently cost? After doing a websearch, I would say that a ballpark figure
> is around $150 to $200.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

I must admit that I'm confused too. I tried to help you when you
posted, but you went ahead and euthanized your cat before reading any
of the responses. Getting a kitten means lots of expenses, shots,
neuter/spay, etc., way more than it would have cost to help your
previous cat.

Watch out, the declaw issue is a hot topic here. Yes, cats can have
behavior problems from declaw, including biting and avoiding the
litterbox.

Rene

Lynne
March 20th 07, 02:13 PM
on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 05:31:41 GMT, "Jenta" > wrote:

> I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
> 5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
> telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
> telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
> behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in all
> four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
> too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
> with this?

I think you would be much better off with a Gund brand kitten.

--
Lynne

cindys
March 20th 07, 02:31 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 05:31:41 GMT, "Jenta" > wrote:
>
>> I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
>> 5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
>> telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
>> telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
>> behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in all
>> four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
>> too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
>> with this?
>
> I think you would be much better off with a Gund brand kitten.
---------
Are you reading my mind?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
March 20th 07, 04:11 PM
Don't get a cat if you intend to amputate it from the first knuckle on
each foot.
Simple!

I don't understand how you can afford to have a cat declawed at all,
If you couldn't afford to have the previous cat treated for it's
thyroid problem? And your cat didn't pass away, because you told us
that it was euthanized..

To be perfectly frank with you, This is exactly how your post reads to
almost EVERYONE who posts here..The same people that you asked for
help last time, then went on to totally ignore their advice, then do
as you intended to all along...

Your post reads:

I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in
all
four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
with this?
Jenna

************************************************** ***********************************************
And this is what we hear:

I have just had my last cat euthanized because it was becoming such as
hassle that we frankly couldn't be bothered to cope with this problem,
much less afford it.
We had no feelings for the cat as you can tell, because we chose to
euthanize rather than care for our faithful feline friend.

Now that we have got rid of the last problematic cat, we are now
considering getting a mutilated kitten. Preferably one that is
amputated at the fist knuckle of every paw, so that it won't wreck our
furniture, or pull snags on the rug.

The breeder that we are considering buying from, mutilates all of her
cats in this fashion, has warned us that this cat will be scarred for
life, & will to all intense and purposes be a disabled cat. She knows
this to be the case, because she has a houseful of problematic cats
herself!

Therefore, you might expect it to have behavioural problems, including
biting, inappropriate toileting problems and will never be able to
defend it's self against any other cat it might happen to meet. It
also predisposes the cat to serious behavioural attitudes to it's
humans too. ( somewhat unsurprisingly)......
************************************************** ************************************************

Personally, *I* wouldn't sell you a flea, & *I* used to be a
breeder*!!!!!
The reason I am so cynical is because you tried to convince us to
think that you cared about your cat, & that you came to this group for
advice..advice that you chose to ignore..!

You already admit that you chose to declaw your last cat, &* IMHO*,
that is reason enough not to sell you a kitten for any amount of money
in the world......

The very fact that you chose to go to a breeder that would consider
amputating & mutilating, her kittens, does you no favours at all
Coming here for advice regarding this poor kitten, shows you to be
someone who does no think, Period.....

I very much hope that you take this advice to heart.
I have NEVER said this to anyone who came to this group for advice, &
I also happen to be one of the milder posters when it comes to people
asking advice..

However, what you are considering doing, tells me that you not only
couldn't care less what happens to the kitty, so what is the point in
trying to help you?

Because, all you will do, is as you please, which is exactly what you
did last time.
In fact, I would even go so far as to say that declawing a cat should
only be done, if the owner is willing to try out the process first.
Does that put the issue into perspective for you?

Matthew was right when he told you to google it, because declawing is
a very hot spot to most of us.

Bookie is right when she tells you that it is illegal in most
countries for a damned good reason.

Rene tried to help you last time, & Cindy who is the kindest hearted
person on here, quite rightly points out that she is more than
confused about you *BUYING* another kitten.
Having put down your last one because it had a problem. She also
points out that if you didn't have the money to help- your last cat,
how have you managed to find the cash to go out and buy a nice new
mutilated model that you prefer to the last one?

Both Cyber & Lynne have the right of the issue when they tell you to
go out and buy a beanie cat baby, because you don't appear to have the
responsibility when it comes to owning a cat.
A cat is much like a child & depends on you to ensure that you do the
right thing regarding your cat.
Until you can see the point of what we are all trying to tell you, May
I suggest that you refrain from buying a mutilated kitten, whilst you
use the the time to research the issues that we point out for you?

Once you have taken the time to read up on the issues that we point
out, you will see that we are only telling you what is factually true
& proven true too!

I can't wish you the best, because I feel so strongly about this.
But I can say that I do hope that you rethink the issue & if you feel
you MUST have a Kitty, then go to one of the thousands of shelters
across your country & help out a poor little kitty that DESPERATELY
needs a home, Please?
I can assure you that you will be doing the right thing for both you
and the kitty too.
S.

cindys
March 20th 07, 04:44 PM
Hi, Sheelagh! I agree with everything you wrote, except for one thing: The
breeder was telling her not to have the kitten declawed because it will lead
to behavioral problems, and the OP was arguing that her previous cat (the
one she had euthanized because it was too much money/bother to treat his
thyroid problem), who also had four (!) mutilated feet didn't have any
behavioral problems except to use her exact words "loving them too much."
What kind of a person has a cat (who loves them to pieces) euthanized for
reasons of money and convenience and then turns around and looks for another
cat? What happens when the new kitten gets sick? I'm sorry, but I have to
stop now and cry.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> A cat is much like a child & depends on you to ensure that you do the
> right thing regarding your cat.
> Until you can see the point of what we are all trying to tell you, May
> I suggest that you refrain from buying a mutilated kitten, whilst you
> use the the time to research the issues that we point out for you?
>
> Once you have taken the time to read up on the issues that we point
> out, you will see that we are only telling you what is factually true
> & proven true too!
>
> I can't wish you the best, because I feel so strongly about this.
> But I can say that I do hope that you rethink the issue & if you feel
> you MUST have a Kitty, then go to one of the thousands of shelters
> across your country & help out a poor little kitty that DESPERATELY
> needs a home, Please?
> I can assure you that you will be doing the right thing for both you

cindys
March 20th 07, 05:15 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I must admit that I'm confused too. I tried to help you when you
> posted, but you went ahead and euthanized your cat before reading any
> of the responses. Getting a kitten means lots of expenses, shots,
> neuter/spay, etc., way more than it would have cost to help your
> previous cat.
>
> Watch out, the declaw issue is a hot topic here. Yes, cats can have
> behavior problems from declaw, including biting and avoiding the
> litterbox.
----------
Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be a troll?
Consider the elements:
1. A story about euthanizing a cat rather than treating its medical
problems.
2. Planning to *purchase* a new cat from a breeder.
3. Planning to declaw the new kitten, and not only just the front paws, but
all four feet!

Any of the above elements by itself would be destined to get people worked
up, but put them all together, and everyone goes ballistic. The only thing
missing is if she said she was planning to let the new kitten go outside
(after mutilating all its paws so it could never defend herself) and stating
that she was not planning to spay/neuter the cat or get any vaccinations
because she couldn't afford to do so. She could then claim that she would
easily be able to find homes for all the kittens (or that she didn't have a
choice but to take the kittens to the local shelter).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bookie
March 20th 07, 06:06 PM
On 20 Mar, 16:44, "cindys" > wrote:

> cat? What happens when the new kitten gets sick?

then that kitten has gone past it's 'use by date' and is thrown away
like a broken toy, which is probably exactly how the OP views all her
pets.

the whole thing is absolutely heartbreaking

bookie

Rene S.
March 20th 07, 06:41 PM
On Mar 20, 12:15 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
> >> I must admit that I'm confused too. I tried to help you when you
> > posted, but you went ahead and euthanized your cat before reading any
> > of the responses. Getting a kitten means lots of expenses, shots,
> > neuter/spay, etc., way more than it would have cost to help your
> > previous cat.
>
> > Watch out, the declaw issue is a hot topic here. Yes, cats can have
> > behavior problems from declaw, including biting and avoiding the
> > litterbox.
>
> ----------
> Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be a troll?
> Consider the elements:
> 1. A story about euthanizing a cat rather than treating its medical
> problems.
> 2. Planning to *purchase* a new cat from a breeder.
> 3. Planning to declaw the new kitten, and not only just the front paws, but
> all four feet!
>
> Any of the above elements by itself would be destined to get people worked
> up, but put them all together, and everyone goes ballistic. The only thing
> missing is if she said she was planning to let the new kitten go outside
> (after mutilating all its paws so it could never defend herself) and stating
> that she was not planning to spay/neuter the cat or get any vaccinations
> because she couldn't afford to do so. She could then claim that she would
> easily be able to find homes for all the kittens (or that she didn't have a
> choice but to take the kittens to the local shelter).
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Cindy,
I never thought about it like that. I tend to be more trusting and
help people here.

Rene

cindys
March 20th 07, 07:12 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 20, 12:15 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
>> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>> > posted, but you went ahead and euthanized your cat before reading any
>> > of the responses. Getting a kitten means lots of expenses, shots,
>> > neuter/spay, etc., way more than it would have cost to help your
>> > previous cat.
>>
>> > Watch out, the declaw issue is a hot topic here. Yes, cats can have
>> > behavior problems from declaw, including biting and avoiding the
>> > litterbox.
>>
>> ----------
>> Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be a troll?
>> Consider the elements:
>> 1. A story about euthanizing a cat rather than treating its medical
>> problems.
>> 2. Planning to *purchase* a new cat from a breeder.
>> 3. Planning to declaw the new kitten, and not only just the front paws,
>> but
>> all four feet!
>>
>> Any of the above elements by itself would be destined to get people
>> worked
>> up, but put them all together, and everyone goes ballistic. The only
>> thing
>> missing is if she said she was planning to let the new kitten go outside
>> (after mutilating all its paws so it could never defend herself) and
>> stating
>> that she was not planning to spay/neuter the cat or get any vaccinations
>> because she couldn't afford to do so. She could then claim that she would
>> easily be able to find homes for all the kittens (or that she didn't have
>> choice but to take the kittens to the local shelter).
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Cindy,
> I never thought about it like that. I tend to be more trusting and
> help people here.
----------
I was just throwing it out as a possibility. I'm not saying it's necessarily
true. Based on my past experience on other newsgroups, I really have made
an effort on this newsgroup to be careful about making accusations. I've
been trying hard not to make assumptions or jump to conclusions about people
until I have the facts, but in this case, I guess I don't care if the OP is
offended by my suggestion, even if she isn't a troll. I doubt she will post
here again anyway. If she isn't a troll, she came here hoping that we would
say the breeder was wrong to say that declawing would lead to behavior
problems. The OP was hoping we would all agree with her that declawing a cat
is fine. I guess she came to the wrong place.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

IBen Getiner
March 21st 07, 09:39 AM
On Mar 20, 12:31?am, "Jenta" > wrote:
> I am looking to get a new kitten since my Snickers passed away on Feb
> 5, 2007. I was speaking with a lady that is selling kittens. I was
> telling her that my family normally declaws all the paws. She was
> telling me that declawing all the paws on cats can alter their
> behavior with the litter box and such. My Snickers was declawed in all
> four paws and he never had any behavioral problems except loving us
> too much. Has anyone else heard this or has has any similar problems
> with this?
> Jenna

Our boy has all of his claws removed, front and back. And he's never
exhibited any problems whatsoever. The left-wing liberal LUNATICS in
here are dead-set against declawing, but not for any reason concerning
discomfort... It's because they feel it's wrong to say 'No'. They feel
it's the prerogative of the cat (or child, I'm quite sure) as to how
he behaves, when and where. They see 'No' as a bad word and a obscene
concept. Rules are wrong in the world that they were once free spirits
in. Laws were made to be broken. Authority to be challenged.
Remember... THESE are the kinds of people you're going to be dealing
with THESE DAYS in any animal group on the web. They're mentally ill,
therefore their opinions should be inverted. Just a word to the wise,
Jenna. You seem like a down-to-earth type of person, and I know,
because I am one as well.
I've received nothing but the cold shoulder in here ever since I said
that declawing is not a bad thing. And that our boy is perfectly happy
and active in every way. Litter box included.. They just don't want to
hear it. 'No' being the evil thing that it iz and all.....

IBen

Wendy
March 21st 07, 11:43 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Rene S." > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
>> I must admit that I'm confused too. I tried to help you when you
>> posted, but you went ahead and euthanized your cat before reading any
>> of the responses. Getting a kitten means lots of expenses, shots,
>> neuter/spay, etc., way more than it would have cost to help your
>> previous cat.
>>
>> Watch out, the declaw issue is a hot topic here. Yes, cats can have
>> behavior problems from declaw, including biting and avoiding the
>> litterbox.
> ----------
> Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be a troll?
> Consider the elements:
> 1. A story about euthanizing a cat rather than treating its medical
> problems.
> 2. Planning to *purchase* a new cat from a breeder.
> 3. Planning to declaw the new kitten, and not only just the front paws,
> but all four feet!
>
> Any of the above elements by itself would be destined to get people worked
> up, but put them all together, and everyone goes ballistic. The only thing
> missing is if she said she was planning to let the new kitten go outside
> (after mutilating all its paws so it could never defend herself) and
> stating that she was not planning to spay/neuter the cat or get any
> vaccinations because she couldn't afford to do so. She could then claim
> that she would easily be able to find homes for all the kittens (or that
> she didn't have a choice but to take the kittens to the local shelter).
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

lol I love it! Then the next post would be a bit down the road to tell us
that her mutilated oops declawed cat was peeing all over her house in spite
of her giving it access to the yard via the cat flap so now she had to take
kitty to the pound too and claim to them that she found it as a stray so she
wouldn't have to pay the relinquishment donation.

cindys
March 21st 07, 01:13 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "cindys" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >
>>> I must admit that I'm confused too. I tried to help you when you
>>> posted, but you went ahead and euthanized your cat before reading any
>>> of the responses. Getting a kitten means lots of expenses, shots,
>>> neuter/spay, etc., way more than it would have cost to help your
>>> previous cat.
>>>
>>> Watch out, the declaw issue is a hot topic here. Yes, cats can have
>>> behavior problems from declaw, including biting and avoiding the
>>> litterbox.
>> ----------
>> Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be a troll?
>> Consider the elements:
>> 1. A story about euthanizing a cat rather than treating its medical
>> problems.
>> 2. Planning to *purchase* a new cat from a breeder.
>> 3. Planning to declaw the new kitten, and not only just the front paws,
>> but all four feet!
>>
>> Any of the above elements by itself would be destined to get people
>> worked up, but put them all together, and everyone goes ballistic. The
>> only thing missing is if she said she was planning to let the new kitten
>> go outside (after mutilating all its paws so it could never defend
>> herself) and stating that she was not planning to spay/neuter the cat or
>> get any vaccinations because she couldn't afford to do so. She could then
>> claim that she would easily be able to find homes for all the kittens (or
>> that she didn't have a choice but to take the kittens to the local
>> shelter).
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>>

> lol I love it! Then the next post would be a bit down the road to tell us
> that her mutilated oops declawed cat was peeing all over her house in
> spite of her giving it access to the yard via the cat flap so now she had
> to take kitty to the pound too and claim to them that she found it as a
> stray so she wouldn't have to pay the relinquishment donation.
------------
And while we're on a roll....What is this "My family has always done it this
way." So break the family tradition! Is declawing some kind of a sacred
cow?
And another thing...people rationalize declawing the front paws on the basis
that the cat is going to scratch the furniture, but why declaw the back
feet?
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Albert Johnston
March 21st 07, 01:32 PM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> Our boy has all of his claws removed, front and back. And he's never
> exhibited any problems whatsoever. The left-wing liberal LUNATICS in
> here are dead-set against declawing, but not for any reason concerning
> discomfort... It's because they feel it's wrong to say 'No'. They feel
> it's the prerogative of the cat (or child, I'm quite sure) as to how
> he behaves, when and where. They see 'No' as a bad word and a obscene
> concept. Rules are wrong in the world that they were once free spirits
> in. Laws were made to be broken. Authority to be challenged.
> Remember... THESE are the kinds of people you're going to be dealing
> with THESE DAYS in any animal group on the web. They're mentally ill,
> therefore their opinions should be inverted. Just a word to the wise,
> Jenna. You seem like a down-to-earth type of person, and I know,
> because I am one as well.
> I've received nothing but the cold shoulder in here ever since I said
> that declawing is not a bad thing. And that our boy is perfectly happy
> and active in every way. Litter box included.. They just don't want to
> hear it. 'No' being the evil thing that it iz and all.....
>

> IBen

You have absolutely no consistency in the way that you treat your cat,
but then again you're one big mess of behavioural problems yourself. The
only consistent factor in your life is your metal illness.

Matthew
March 21st 07, 05:40 PM
"Albert Johnston" >

When and if you have to respond to an [email protected]@hole troll why in the world do you
all have to repost their dribble try snipping the passage so the rest of us
how have that [email protected]@hole kill filed don't have to read their [email protected]

IBen Getiner
March 21st 07, 06:32 PM
On Mar 21, 8:32´┐Żam, Albert Johnston > wrote:
> IBen Getinerwrote:
> > Our boy has all of his claws removed, front and back. And he's never
> > exhibited any problems whatsoever. The left-wing liberal LUNATICS in
> > here are dead-set against declawing, but not for any reason concerning
> > discomfort... It's because they feel it's wrong to say 'No'. They feel
> > it's the prerogative of the cat (or child, I'm quite sure) as to how
> > he behaves, when and where. They see 'No' as a bad word and a obscene
> > concept. Rules are wrong in the world that they were once free spirits
> > in. Laws were made to be broken. Authority to be challenged.
> > Remember... THESE are the kinds of people you're going to be dealing
> > with THESE DAYS in any animal group on the web. They're mentally ill,
> > therefore their opinions should be inverted. Just a word to the wise,
> > Jenna. You seem like a down-to-earth type of person, and I know,
> > because I am one as well.
> > *I've received nothing but the cold shoulder in here ever since I said
> > that declawing is not a bad thing. And that our boy is perfectly happy
> > and active in every way. Litter box included.. They just don't want to
> > hear it. 'No' being the evil thing that it iz and all.....
>
> > IBen
>
> You have absolutely no consistency in the way that you treat your cat,

How so, Al....?

IBen

Lynne
March 22nd 07, 12:20 AM
on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:40:18 GMT, "Matthew"
> wrote:

> When and if you have to respond to an [email protected]@hole troll why in the world
> do you all have to repost their dribble try snipping the passage so
> the rest of us how have that [email protected]@hole kill filed don't have to read
> their [email protected]

AMEN!!!!!

--