PDA

View Full Version : Cat has habit of licking it's tummy removing fur! WHY??!!

The Cat Whisperer[_2_]
March 20th 07, 09:04 PM
I just had lunch with a friend who told me her cat has been licking his
tummy in one spot - for all it's life, leaving a bald spot!

Why would a cat do this?

Indoor / outdoor, 7 years old, other than the licking - acts perfectly
normal, only cat in the home, no other pets.

I don't think stress is an issue in this case, what else?!

bookie
March 21st 07, 01:27 AM
On 20 Mar, 20:04, "The Cat Whisperer" <kaos.kaptain at gmail dot com>
wrote:
> I just had lunch with a friend who told me her cat has been licking his
> tummy in one spot - for all it's life, leaving a bald spot!
>
> Why would a cat do this?
>
> Indoor / outdoor, 7 years old, other than the licking - acts perfectly
> normal, only cat in the home, no other pets.
>
> I don't think stress is an issue in this case, what else?!

retention of urine, causing pain due to a full bladder and the cat
then licks it's abdomen as a futile coping mechanism to alleviate the
pain. If it is this then it will be stress related as the cat may be
retaining urine in it';s bladder as it is unable to go and pee for a
number of reasons; another cat is guarding the litter box and
preventing the cat from using it, the cat is fearful of going outside
to pee as it normally would because there is a new bigger cat inthe
neighbourhood (might a feral or stray) and it is worried it may be
atacked by this new cat if it does go outside to relieve itself.

the bladder problem may also be due to cystitis caused by things other
than what i have described above and obviously your friend should be
TAKING THIS CAT TO THE VET ASAP to find out what the real problem is.
Also checking to see that the cat is able to relieve itself and empty
it's bladder properly and there is no blockage of the urethra etc and
no other reasons why it would retain urine and not pee as normal

bookie

bookie
March 21st 07, 01:28 AM