PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Feast


Buddy's Mom
March 21st 07, 12:46 PM
Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't seen
it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.

However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
at me.

cindys
March 21st 07, 01:11 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't seen
> it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
-------
I am still feeding my kitties canned Fancy Feast every day. I have not seen
Fancy Feast appear on any list. All my cats are fine (Alex has CRF, but it's
not because of cat food. I have been giving him Pepcid, and he is actually
looking much better these past few days than he's looked in weeks. He has
been eating Fancy Feast every day.). It seems like the major problems were
with chunks in gravy style foods. I don't buy any foods with gravies any
more but even if I did, Fancy Feast was not one of the products recalled.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.
>
> However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> at me.
>

Thor
March 21st 07, 01:43 PM
On Mar 21, 8:11 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't seen
> > it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> > case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
>
> -------
> I am still feeding my kitties canned Fancy Feast every day. I have not seen
> Fancy Feast appear on any list. All my cats are fine .
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>
>


> > However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> > the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> > at me.- Hide quoted text -
>




DITTO --
I use ONLY FF and haven't had any food related problem. A few of my
cat's
prefer gravy and chunks (grilled, etc) but no problems. Purina uses
other sources
for their products. To the best of my knowledge they are not
affiliated with Menu Foods!

Your kitty should be fine, but it always makes sense to keep an eye
out.....

Michael - on my way to a Ship....

Buddy's Mom
March 21st 07, 01:57 PM
That is good to hear. My guy likes FF grilled - so it has the gravy
which is why I was concerned. Better to err on the side of caution.
I did email Purina and ask - days ago, but sadly haven't heard
anything from them.


On Mar 21, 8:43�am, "Thor" > wrote:
> On Mar 21, 8:11 am, "cindys" > wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? *I haven't seen
> > > it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> > > case. *Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
>
> > -------
> > I am still feeding my kitties canned Fancy Feast every day. I have not seen
> > Fancy Feast appear on any list. All my cats are fine .
> > Best regards,
> > ---Cindy S.
>
> > > However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> > > the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> > > at me.- Hide quoted text -
>
> DITTO --
> I use ONLY FF and haven't had any food related problem. A few of my
> cat's
> *prefer gravy and chunks (grilled, etc) but no problems. Purina uses
> other sources
> *for their products. To the best of my knowledge they are not
> affiliated with Menu Foods!
>
> Your kitty should be fine, but it always makes sense to keep an eye
> out.....
>
> Michael - on my way to a Ship....- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

cindys
March 21st 07, 02:08 PM
"Thor" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 21, 8:11 am, "cindys" > wrote:

>> I am still feeding my kitties canned Fancy Feast every day. I have not
>> seen
>> Fancy Feast appear on any list. All my cats are fine .
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
>>
> DITTO --
> I use ONLY FF and haven't had any food related problem. A few of my
> cat's
> prefer gravy and chunks (grilled, etc) but no problems. Purina uses
> other sources
> for their products.
----------
That's not completely true. Iams is a Purina product.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lis
March 21st 07, 02:11 PM
On Mar 21, 8:43 am, "Thor" > wrote:
> On Mar 21, 8:11 am, "cindys" > wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't seen
> > > it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> > > case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
>
> > -------
> > I am still feeding my kitties canned Fancy Feast every day. I have not seen
> > Fancy Feast appear on any list. All my cats are fine .
> > Best regards,
> > ---Cindy S.
>
> > > However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> > > the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> > > at me.- Hide quoted text -
>
> DITTO --
> I use ONLY FF and haven't had any food related problem. A few of my
> cat's
> prefer gravy and chunks (grilled, etc) but no problems. Purina uses
> other sources
> for their products. To the best of my knowledge they are not
> affiliated with Menu Foods!
>
> Your kitty should be fine, but it always makes sense to keep an eye
> out.....
>
> Michael - on my way to a Ship....

Purina did a limited amount of business with Menu, but only the Mighty
Dog pouches--no canned food, and no cat food at all.

Lis

MaryL
March 21st 07, 02:16 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't seen
> it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
>
> However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> at me.
>

The recalls seem to be associated with gluten, so I suggest that you check
the list of ingredients to see if gluten is listed. PetFoodDirect.com makes
it very easy to check ingredients for every pet food they carry (just click
on the name of the product and then on "details"), so I just checked one of
the Fancy Feast items for you. There was no gluten listed for FF Chopped
Grill Feast. I don't know if that's the variety you use, but you could
easily do the same thing. I find it much easier to go to PetFoodDirect's
web site than to try to read the labels on the cans because print is *so*
small on most of those labels.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e

Buddy's Mom
March 21st 07, 06:20 PM
Thanks, but he likes the grilled chicken or grilled turkey - newer
versions and the label does say that it contains wheat gluten - which
is why I am worried. The local vet says that the wheat was
contaminated with mold - but I don't know his source on that.

On Mar 21, 9:16�am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? *I haven't seen
> > it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> > case. *Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
>
> > However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> > the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> > at me.
>
> The recalls seem to be associated with gluten, so I suggest that you check
> the list of ingredients to see if gluten is listed. *PetFoodDirect.com makes
> it very easy to check ingredients for every pet food they carry (just click
> on the name of the product and then on "details"), so I just checked one of
> the Fancy Feast items for you. *There was no gluten listed for FF Chopped
> Grill Feast. *I don't know if that's the variety you use, but you could
> easily do the same thing. *I find it much easier to go to PetFoodDirect's
> web site than to try to read the labels on the cans because print is *so*
> small on most of those labels.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: * * *>'o'<
> Duffy: *http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: *http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: *http://tinyurl.com/8b47e

~Lianne~
March 21st 07, 10:16 PM
Purina has information on their website:

http://fancyfeast.com

Up top is says that the food is not affected by the recall. My kitten
is eating it and all is well...

On Mar 21, 8:57 am, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
> That is good to hear. My guy likes FF grilled - so it has the gravy
> which is why I was concerned. Better to err on the side of caution.
> I did email Purina and ask - days ago, but sadly haven't heard
> anything from them.
>
> On Mar 21, 8:43?am, "Thor" > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 21, 8:11 am, "cindys" > wrote:
>
> > > "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> > oups.com...> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? ?I haven't seen
> > > > it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> > > > case. ?Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
>
> > > -------
> > > I am still feeding my kitties canned Fancy Feast every day. I have not seen
> > > Fancy Feast appear on any list. All my cats are fine .
> > > Best regards,
> > > ---Cindy S.
>
> > > > However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> > > > the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> > > > at me.- Hide quoted text -
>
> > DITTO --
> > I use ONLY FF and haven't had any food related problem. A few of my
> > cat's
> > ?prefer gravy and chunks (grilled, etc) but no problems. Purina uses
> > other sources
> > ?for their products. To the best of my knowledge they are not
> > affiliated with Menu Foods!
>
> > Your kitty should be fine, but it always makes sense to keep an eye
> > out.....
>
> > Michael - on my way to a Ship....- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -

Spot
March 21st 07, 11:24 PM
They don't know for sure if it's the gluten. They are only speculating at
this point. I wouldn't depend on a product not containing gluten to
determine if it's safe to use.


"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
...
>
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't seen
>> it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
>> case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.
>>
>> However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
>> the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
>> at me.
>>
>
> The recalls seem to be associated with gluten, so I suggest that you check
> the list of ingredients to see if gluten is listed. PetFoodDirect.com
> makes it very easy to check ingredients for every pet food they carry
> (just click on the name of the product and then on "details"), so I just
> checked one of the Fancy Feast items for you. There was no gluten listed
> for FF Chopped Grill Feast. I don't know if that's the variety you use,
> but you could easily do the same thing. I find it much easier to go to
> PetFoodDirect's web site than to try to read the labels on the cans
> because print is *so* small on most of those labels.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
>

MaryL
March 22nd 07, 12:13 AM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> They don't know for sure if it's the gluten. They are only speculating at
> this point. I wouldn't depend on a product not containing gluten to
> determine if it's safe to use.
>

It's true that they don't have a definitive answer as yet -- but, so far,
gluten *seems* to be the common ingredient. We all need to keep a close eye
on things, but it seems safest at this point to at least avoid products that
contain gluten (and with Menu Foods as the manufacturer, even though the
actual source may be the new supplier they used).

MaryL

Cheryl
March 22nd 07, 01:38 AM
On Wed 21 Mar 2007 07:46:39a, Buddy's Mom wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't
> seen it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday -
> just in case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the
> time.
>
> However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he
> goes to the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands
> there looking at me.

FF hasn't been implicated in any of this yet, so I'm still feeding
it. I try to limit the cans that contain wheat gluton, but mine
really like the shredded variety that uses wheat gluton to thicken
the gravy. No problems here. They also eat Pro Plan chicken and
rice that contains wheat gluton about once a week, and no problems
here. Same, ditto, Friskies Prime Filets Chicken or Turkey.

--
Cheryl

Debby Hanoka
March 24th 07, 02:26 AM
> Is anyone else still feeding with canned Fancy Feast? I haven't seen
> it on the recall list, but I stopped using it yesterday - just in
> case. Seems like they are adding to the list all the time.

Lilith Kitten-Mahoney has been getting her daily ration of Fancy Feast, and
has not fallen ill. My mom, a retired vet assistant, has been watching her
very carefully.

> However, every time I go to feed the kitty with hard food he goes to
> the cupboard that the canned food is in and just stands there looking
> at me.

Last I heard (approximately 3 hours ago) Fancy Feast is NOT affected.

HTH,
Debby Hanoka