PDA

View Full Version : Cat(s) leaving droppings in different parts of the house?

blangela
March 21st 07, 04:46 PM
Two days ago, one (or both) of our 2 cats started leaving small tirds
(sorry - seems the most descriptive term)over the house. It has
happened 3 times so far, twice in the last 24 hours. They are 8 years
old and this has never been a problem before!

In a very strange coincidence ( I don't believe in coincidences!) a
fellow I work next to asked me today if my cats had ever started doing
the exact behaviour I just described above. His 4 year cat started
the exact same behaviour 3 days ago.

I am asking if this could be a side affect of the the bad food out
there or if there is some kind of virus going around that could cause
this behaviour.

I would appreciate any advice available.

Bob

cindys
March 21st 07, 04:59 PM
"blangela" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Two days ago, one (or both) of our 2 cats started leaving small tirds
> (sorry - seems the most descriptive term)over the house. It has
> happened 3 times so far, twice in the last 24 hours. They are 8 years
> old and this has never been a problem before!
>
> In a very strange coincidence ( I don't believe in coincidences!) a
> fellow I work next to asked me today if my cats had ever started doing
> the exact behaviour I just described above. His 4 year cat started
> the exact same behaviour 3 days ago.
>
> I am asking if this could be a side affect of the the bad food out
> there or if there is some kind of virus going around that could cause
> this behaviour.
>
> I would appreciate any advice available.
--------
This could be a symptom of a urinary tract infection .Generally, this
happens because a cat has pain with urination and associates the litter box
with the pain and so goes to the bathroom (urinates and poops) elsewhere.You
don't know that both your cats are doing this. It could be only one of them.
You need to take them to the vet and have them checked for urinary tract
infection. The fact that the other guy's cat is doing the same thing is
coincidental. His cat may have a urinary infection as well.
Good luck.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rene S.
March 21st 07, 07:47 PM
I agree with Cindy that a vet trip is in order.

Another thought: Could it be that your cat(s) are constipated? Do they
strain when passing stools? It's possible that the stools are hard and
difficult to pass that they don't make it into the box while they are
in there, but fall off later.
A helpful remedy for this is plain, canned pumpkin, about 1 t. per
day. It adds fiber (bulk), and many cats like the taste of it.

cindys
March 21st 07, 08:26 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "blangela" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Two days ago, one (or both) of our 2 cats started leaving small tirds
>> (sorry - seems the most descriptive term)over the house. It has
>> happened 3 times so far, twice in the last 24 hours. They are 8 years
>> old and this has never been a problem before!
>>

> Very likely constipation. "Clingons" that remain after the cat leaves
> the box. Talk to your vet about it, and/or get some Laxaire or
> Laxatone (molasses like stuff in a tube) to give them. If you feed
> dry it may be time to think about feeding quality wet food. Water
> content in it will help.
-----------
Ding, ding, ding! And the lightbulb goes on (in my head). I used to feed my
cats only dry food. I would sometimes find dried up little "clingons" (from
one particular cat) in various locations in my house. This particular cat
had lived with my mother for five years, and my mother had the same
complaint. Since I've started feeding all of my cats canned food (in
addition to the dry), I'm not finding clingons any more. I never made the
connection until now.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cybercat
March 21st 07, 09:08 PM
"blangela" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Two days ago, one (or both) of our 2 cats started leaving small tirds
> (sorry - seems the most descriptive term)over the house. It has
> happened 3 times so far, twice in the last 24 hours. They are 8 years
> old and this has never been a problem before!

Very likely constipation. "Clingons" that remain after the cat leaves
the box. Talk to your vet about it, and/or get some Laxaire or
Laxatone (molasses like stuff in a tube) to give them. If you feed
dry it may be time to think about feeding quality wet food. Water
content in it will help.

cybercat
March 21st 07, 09:40 PM
"cindys" > wrote
> -----------
> Ding, ding, ding! And the lightbulb goes on (in my head). I used to feed
> my cats only dry food. I would sometimes find dried up little "clingons"
> (from one particular cat) in various locations in my house. This
> particular cat had lived with my mother for five years, and my mother had
> the same complaint. Since I've started feeding all of my cats canned food
> (in addition to the dry), I'm not finding clingons any more. I never made
> the connection until now.

Cindy, it happens sometimes with wet food if you have a cat who does not
drink much water. I just stepped on two tiny fossilized turdlets while
dusting the
dining room. (Needless to say, I should dust more often, hahaha!)