PDA

View Full Version : Other Litter Choices

Patty
March 21st 07, 07:46 PM
I'm thinking I want to get away from the clay clumping litter that I've
used for years. I'm concerned because Rusty, for some reason in his old
age, has grown long fur between his paw pads on his feet. If he steps in
the clay clumping litter while it's wet, it can stick to this fur and is
near to impossible to clean off. I've thought about trimming this fur off
his feet, but he's not real keen on the idea. ;)

Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
them:

Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)

Both have scoopable litters which I really do prefer because it makes it
easier for me to clean the cat box more frequently. They're supposed to be
natural and more kitty-friendly.

Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

Patty

Rene S.
March 21st 07, 07:50 PM
There's also the World's Best Cat Litter (corn, scoopable). It's a
good litter, but the problem I had was the pet store that carried it
would often be out of stock for long periods of time, due to the
distributor. I ended going back to clay because I could not find it
regularly, and my cats didn't care for Swheat Scoop (which is also
sold at Target, BTW).

cybercat
March 21st 07, 09:46 PM
"Patty" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking I want to get away from the clay clumping litter that I've
> used for years. I'm concerned because Rusty, for some reason in his old
> age, has grown long fur between his paw pads on his feet. If he steps in
> the clay clumping litter while it's wet, it can stick to this fur and is
> near to impossible to clean off. I've thought about trimming this fur off
> his feet, but he's not real keen on the idea. ;)
>
> Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
> them:
>
> Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
> Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)
>
> Both have scoopable litters which I really do prefer because it makes it
> easier for me to clean the cat box more frequently. They're supposed to
> be
> natural and more kitty-friendly.
>
> Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

I think it might be a bad idea to change an older cat's litter, because if
he
doesn't like it, he may very well quit using his box.

A question: why is the litter wet? Cats don't usually step in their own
waste.

The two litters you mentioned are not ones I use, but I have seen them.
They are very expensive compared with the clumping kind. And my
cats are good about going in their boxes (unless Boo has some sort
of statement to make, lol) so I have hesitated to change. If I were to
change, I think it would be to the old, non-clumping clay, as that
would feel similar to the clumping to the cats. They do not like
disruptions in what they are accustomed to, as I bet you know.

zinzee
March 21st 07, 10:15 PM
On Mar 21, 5:46 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Patty" > wrote in message

<snip>

> > Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
> > them:
>
> > Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
> > Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)

I'm going to be trying Shweat Scoop this week. I will let you know!
I've heard good things thus far.

<snip>

> I think it might be a bad idea to change an older cat's litter, because if
> he
> doesn't like it, he may very well quit using his box.

<snip>

Try mixing it in a little at a time to acclimate your cat to the new
litter. Just like with food, I think gradual is better than drastic.

Good luck!

Lynne
March 22nd 07, 12:19 AM
on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:46:10 GMT, Patty > wrote:

> Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has
> tried them:
>
> Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)

I use Feline Pine and love it, but I agree with Cybercat; switching an
older cat's litter may be problematic.

That said, Feline Pine does NOT clump (so it's not 'scoopable' the way
clumping litters are). What happens is that the pellets disintegrate
into sawdust when they get wet. You can shake the box and the sawdust
will fall to the bottom. I highly recommend, if you go this route,
using the Feline Pine litter box (and the Feline Pine scooper, which has
bigger slots so you can spare the intact pellets). It has 2 boxes, one
is a sifter. You can shake the box and all the sawdust will fall out of
the main box into the bottom box. When the bottom gets full, you can
dump the sawdust either in your garden or in the trash. It's much
better than leaving the sawdust in the pan with the pellets. Also, you
can flush Feline Pine when you scoop out the poop. My pipes suck, but I
haven't had any problems in the year I've been using this stuff. One
final note, I buy Feline Pine and some other Pine pellet stuff,
whichever is cheaper, and my cats don't notice the difference. It's
anywhere from $7-10 for 20 lbs and it goes a lot farther than other
litters I've used.

If you switch to ANY new litter, do it slowly. Very slowly. Behavioral
problems with the litter box are not easy or fun to deal with.

--
Lynne

Cat Protector
March 22nd 07, 03:44 AM
I don't know if you have a Fry's near you but the Pet Pride cat litter is
really good.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Patty" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking I want to get away from the clay clumping litter that I've
> used for years. I'm concerned because Rusty, for some reason in his old
> age, has grown long fur between his paw pads on his feet. If he steps in
> the clay clumping litter while it's wet, it can stick to this fur and is
> near to impossible to clean off. I've thought about trimming this fur off
> his feet, but he's not real keen on the idea. ;)
>
> Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
> them:
>
> Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
> Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)
>
> Both have scoopable litters which I really do prefer because it makes it
> easier for me to clean the cat box more frequently. They're supposed to
> be
> natural and more kitty-friendly.
>
> Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks!
>
> Patty

blkcatgal
March 22nd 07, 03:51 AM
Hey Pat, I've tried both of these litters in the past and the cats never
really liked it. Feline Pine has a real "pine" smell and both are really
light weight. Doesn't mean Rusty won't...but like others have said, if you
decide to switch, mix the new stuff with the old and gradually work your way
to using only the new stuff.

Sue

"Patty" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking I want to get away from the clay clumping litter that I've
> used for years. I'm concerned because Rusty, for some reason in his old
> age, has grown long fur between his paw pads on his feet. If he steps in
> the clay clumping litter while it's wet, it can stick to this fur and is
> near to impossible to clean off. I've thought about trimming this fur off
> his feet, but he's not real keen on the idea. ;)
>
> Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
> them:
>
> Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
> Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)
>
> Both have scoopable litters which I really do prefer because it makes it
> easier for me to clean the cat box more frequently. They're supposed to
> be
> natural and more kitty-friendly.
>
> Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks!
>
> Patty

IBen Getiner
March 22nd 07, 08:37 AM
On Mar 21, 2:46�pm, Patty > wrote:
> I'm thinking I want to get away from the clay clumping litter that I've
> used for years. *I'm concerned because Rusty, for some reason in his old
> age, has grown long fur between his paw pads on his feet. *If he steps in
> the clay clumping litter while it's wet, it can stick to this fur and is
> near to impossible to clean off. *I've thought about trimming this fur off
> his feet, but he's not real keen on the idea. *;)
>
> Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
> them:
>
> Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
> Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)
>
> Both have scoopable litters which I really do prefer because it makes it
> easier for me to clean the cat box more frequently. *They're supposed to be
> natural and more kitty-friendly.
>
> Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed. *Thanks!
>
> Patty

Saw dust or wood shavings work well in an emergency. Shredded paper
(preferably from a machine) works good, too. We have one of those nice
(and quite expensive) new automatic litter systems. The wife got tired
of all that poop-scooping. It does it all and she no longer has to get
her hands dirty. Praise Be, the neighborhood doesn't have to listen to
that any more. And all for about the price you'd pay for the crown-job
on a tooth.

IBen Getiner

cindys
March 22nd 07, 02:05 PM
"zinzee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 21, 5:46 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Patty" > wrote in message
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> > Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has
>> > tried
>> > them:
>>
>> > Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
>> > Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)
>
> I'm going to be trying Shweat Scoop this week. I will let you know!
> I've heard good things thus far.
---------------
If you buy Swheat Scoop, I would advise you not to flush it down the toilet,
however. (According to the package, it is flushable). I used to use Swheat
Scoop and flush it. This was very convenient until it clogged up all the
plumbing, and the plumber had to spend hours at my house. Apparently, the
Swheat Scoop had accumulated in the pipes where they leave the house and
drain into the outside sewer. This was not a simple clogged toilet. The bill
was hefty. It's probably okay to flush a very small amount, but I advise you
to continue to throw away the lion's share (no pun intended) of the used
litter in your trash receptacle.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

zinzee
March 22nd 07, 04:18 PM
On Mar 22, 10:05 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "zinzee" > wrote in message
<snip>

> > I'm going to be trying Shweat Scoop this week. I will let you know!
> > I've heard good things thus far.
>
> ---------------
> If you buy Swheat Scoop, I would advise you not to flush it down the toilet,
> however. (According to the package, it is flushable). I used to use Swheat
> Scoop and flush it. This was very convenient until it clogged up all the
> plumbing, and the plumber had to spend hours at my house. Apparently, the
> Swheat Scoop had accumulated in the pipes where they leave the house and
> drain into the outside sewer. This was not a simple clogged toilet. The bill
> was hefty. It's probably okay to flush a very small amount, but I advise you
> to continue to throw away the lion's share (no pun intended) of the used
> litter in your trash receptacle.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Cindy, very good advice, thank you!! I live in a very old building
and I don't think my landlord would be very happy to have me clog
everything up. Not to mention, if something backed up and overflowed
my neighbors below me would probably cut my throat!

I purchased the litter last night and plan on starting to integrate it
this evening. Before I do that though, what litter do you use now?
Do you find it better than Swheat Scoop? If it's claims it's
flushable, do you still avoid flushing it in hopes of preventing any
more large bills?

Thanks again,
Heather

Patty
March 22nd 07, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Sue. I'm not sure that changing the litter medium will be as much
of an issue for Rusty since he does go outside. In fact, in the summertime
he rarely uses the indoor litter box, and I've actually seen him go in the
grass in the middle of the yard (Grady used to do this too) kind of like
dogs do. So, he really doesn't seem to be real picky about where he goes,
I'm the picky one, I just don't want him going on the carpet or the
furniture! *vbg*

I did buy a small bag of feline pine and I might go ahead and give it a
whirl when I do my complete clean of the litter box out this spring.

Patty

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:51:23 -0400, blkcatgal wrote:

> Hey Pat, I've tried both of these litters in the past and the cats never
> really liked it. Feline Pine has a real "pine" smell and both are really
> light weight. Doesn't mean Rusty won't...but like others have said, if you
> decide to switch, mix the new stuff with the old and gradually work your way
> to using only the new stuff.
>
> Sue
>
> "Patty" > wrote in message
>> I'm thinking I want to get away from the clay clumping litter that I've
>> used for years. I'm concerned because Rusty, for some reason in his old
>> age, has grown long fur between his paw pads on his feet. If he steps in
>> the clay clumping litter while it's wet, it can stick to this fur and is
>> near to impossible to clean off. I've thought about trimming this fur off
>> his feet, but he's not real keen on the idea. ;)
>>
>> Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
>> them:
>>
>> Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
>> Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)
>>
>> Both have scoopable litters which I really do prefer because it makes it
>> easier for me to clean the cat box more frequently. They're supposed to
>> be
>> natural and more kitty-friendly.
>>
>> Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks!
>>
>> Patty

~Roy~
March 22nd 07, 05:25 PM
Is there any good stuff to absorb carol gulley crap or is that just
too much to ask?

On 22 Mar 2007 09:18:23 -0700, "zinzee" >
wrote:

<<>>On Mar 22, 10:05 am, "cindys" > wrote:
<<>>> "zinzee" > wrote in message
<<>><snip>
<<>>>
<<>>> ---------------
<<>>> If you buy Swheat Scoop, I would advise you not to flush it down the toilet,
<<>>> however. (According to the package, it is flushable). I used to use Swheat
<<>>> Scoop and flush it. This was very convenient until it clogged up all the
<<>>> plumbing, and the plumber had to spend hours at my house. Apparently, the
<<>>> Swheat Scoop had accumulated in the pipes where they leave the house and
<<>>> drain into the outside sewer. This was not a simple clogged toilet. The bill
<<>>> was hefty. It's probably okay to flush a very small amount, but I advise you
<<>>> to continue to throw away the lion's share (no pun intended) of the used
<<>>> litter in your trash receptacle.
<<>>> Best regards,
<<>>> ---Cindy S.
<<>>
<<>>Cindy, very good advice, thank you!! I live in a very old building
<<>>and I don't think my landlord would be very happy to have me clog
<<>>everything up. Not to mention, if something backed up and overflowed
<<>>my neighbors below me would probably cut my throat!
<<>>
<<>>I purchased the litter last night and plan on starting to integrate it
<<>>this evening. Before I do that though, what litter do you use now?
<<>>Do you find it better than Swheat Scoop? If it's claims it's
<<>>flushable, do you still avoid flushing it in hopes of preventing any
<<>>more large bills?
<<>>
<<>>Thanks again,
<<>>Heather

-------

~Roy~
March 22nd 07, 05:26 PM
wrote:

<<>>On Mar 22, 10:05 am, "cindys" > wrote:
<<>>> "zinzee" > wrote in message
<<>><snip>
<<>>>
[...]

March 22nd 07, 05:38 PM
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:46:33 -0500, cybercat wrote:
> I think it might be a bad idea to change an older cat's litter, because if
> he
> doesn't like it, he may very well quit using his box.

Since he is an indoor/outdoor cat, he uses all sorts of mediums to go potty
in. As I've explained in another post, I've actually seen him squat in the
grass and go, much like a dog does, so I'm not real sure that the change in
the litter box medium will bother him, unless he really hates what I use.

> A question: why is the litter wet? Cats don't usually step in their own
> waste.

Well, since he nor I pour water in his litter box, it must have been wet
from where he used it. Older cats do strange things, Grady also
occasionally had this problem with wet litter gobbed between his toes as
well. The clumping stuff gets like cement when it dries and it's nearly
impossible to get it out of their fur when this happens. But, I also hate
to go with something that I have to completely dump out of the box each
time I clean it too. I have to tell you, I remember when I was a child and
we had cats, we used to use cardboard boxes filled with dirt dug from
outside for the litter box. Let me tell you, that was an experience (but I
don't recall them having regular litter products in those days, or if they
did we could never afford to buy them.)

> The two litters you mentioned are not ones I use, but I have seen them.
> They are very expensive compared with the clumping kind. And my
> cats are good about going in their boxes (unless Boo has some sort
> of statement to make, lol) so I have hesitated to change. If I were to
> change, I think it would be to the old, non-clumping clay, as that
> would feel similar to the clumping to the cats. They do not like
> disruptions in what they are accustomed to, as I bet you know.

Rusty has always been excellent at using the litter box or going outside.
In fact, when he was a kitten, he was the one who litter trained Grady, who
had never used a litter box before I got him. Grady occasionally had
forgetful mishaps, but only once or twice once he was litter trained.
Before that he wanted to squat over a hole on the floor (i.e. the floor
registers) and go. I think that's because he had been born in the attic of
a store downtown and that's where the kittens must have gone (in floor
openings) before the store owners were able to get them out.

I've thought about the old non-clumping clay, but I hate dealing with
dumping the litter box completely each time. My litter box is quite large,
when I had the two cats, Grady sometimes would miss the box (he was quite
large and his butt would sometimes hang over the side when he went) so it
was suggested I get a "mud pan" which are used on construction sites for
mixing mortar and stuff. It turned out to be an excellent choice for a
litter box for multiple cats. Nice and large, plenty of space for them to
use.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Patty

Nancy
March 22nd 07, 08:04 PM
>>>I'm thinking I want to get away from the clay clumping litter that I've
>>>used for years. I'm concerned because Rusty, for some reason in his old
>>>age, has grown long fur between his paw pads on his feet. If he steps in
>>>the clay clumping litter while it's wet, it can stick to this fur and is
>>>near to impossible to clean off. I've thought about trimming this fur off
>>>his feet, but he's not real keen on the idea. ;)
>>>
>>>Anyhow, I've researched some other choices and wonder if anyone has tried
>>>them:
>>>
>>>Feline Pine (which is sold at Target)
>>>Swheat Scoop (which is sold at a Krogers near me)

My 18 and 16 year olds both started having this problem a few months
ago. Both are drinking a lot of water and peeing much more than they
used to. Unfortunately the 18 year old, Sprite, is very picky about
what litter she will use! First I tried the pine pellets - 2 cats were
fine with it, but not Sprite! I tried the mix method, she wouldn't go
near the stuff. Next I tried Swheat Scoop. She will use it (they all
will), but I hate the smell. And it doesn't clump very well. Next was
crystals. Alone, the pee built up - icky to clean. Mixed with Nature's
Miracle wheat litter, is working so far. Finally, tried Yesterday's News
recycled newspaper pellets. Too much like clay litter for me. When
that runs out I'm going with one box pine pellets, one box crystals
mixed with wheat. But the wheat doesn't scoop well, so i may try
crystals/regular clump litter and see if their paws stay clean.

Nancy

22brix
March 22nd 07, 09:11 PM
"Nancy" > wrote in message
> My 18 and 16 year olds both started having this problem a few months ago.
> Both are drinking a lot of water and peeing much more than they used to.

> Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Have your cats been seen by a vet? Excessive drinking and peeing can
indicate kidney disease.

Bonnie

cindys
March 22nd 07, 10:28 PM
"zinzee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 22, 10:05 am, "cindys" > wrote:
>> "zinzee" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>>
>> > I'm going to be trying Shweat Scoop this week. I will let you know!
>> > I've heard good things thus far.
>>
>> ---------------
>> If you buy Swheat Scoop, I would advise you not to flush it down the
>> toilet,
>> however. (According to the package, it is flushable). I used to use
>> Swheat
>> Scoop and flush it. This was very convenient until it clogged up all the
>> plumbing, and the plumber had to spend hours at my house. Apparently, the
>> Swheat Scoop had accumulated in the pipes where they leave the house and
>> drain into the outside sewer. This was not a simple clogged toilet. The
>> bill
>> was hefty. It's probably okay to flush a very small amount, but I advise
>> you
>> to continue to throw away the lion's share (no pun intended) of the used
>> litter in your trash receptacle.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Cindy, very good advice, thank you!! I live in a very old building
> and I don't think my landlord would be very happy to have me clog
> everything up. Not to mention, if something backed up and overflowed
> my neighbors below me would probably cut my throat!
>
> I purchased the litter last night and plan on starting to integrate it
> this evening. Before I do that though, what litter do you use now?
> Do you find it better than Swheat Scoop? If it's claims it's
> flushable, do you still avoid flushing it in hopes of preventing any
> more large bills?
----------
I use either the Tidy Cat (or store brand) scoopable/clumping cat litter
*with crystals.* I used to use the type of litter that was all crystals
(also supposedly flushable) but it was very expensive and one of my cats
didn't like it and decided the living room carpet made a litter box. So, I
compromised and went to the more traditional clumping stuff with crystals,
and it's worked out great. My cats are all happy to use it and there is
virtually no oder emanating from any of the litter boxes. It does not claim
to be a flushable litter, and I would never flush any cat litter again
anyway. I think the Swheat Scoop was fine (except for the clogged pipe
problem). It's just that I discovered my current litter along the way and
preferred it, so I never went back to the Swheat Scoop. If for some reason
my cats stopped using my current litter, I would feel fine about going back
to Swheat Scoop. I just wouldn't flush it.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Patty
March 23rd 07, 02:51 AM
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:28:26 -0400, cindys wrote:
> ----------
> I use either the Tidy Cat (or store brand) scoopable/clumping cat litter
> *with crystals.* I used to use the type of litter that was all crystals
> (also supposedly flushable) but it was very expensive and one of my cats
> didn't like it and decided the living room carpet made a litter box. So, I
> compromised and went to the more traditional clumping stuff with crystals,
> and it's worked out great. My cats are all happy to use it and there is
> virtually no oder emanating from any of the litter boxes. It does not claim
> to be a flushable litter, and I would never flush any cat litter again
> anyway. I think the Swheat Scoop was fine (except for the clogged pipe
> problem). It's just that I discovered my current litter along the way and
> preferred it, so I never went back to the Swheat Scoop. If for some reason
> my cats stopped using my current litter, I would feel fine about going back
> to Swheat Scoop. I just wouldn't flush it.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Are the crystal mixes really good? Are they mostly just for odor? We have
the litter box in the basement, but with Rusty, the litter never smells
because he goes such small amounts. Now, when Grady was alive (he was a
very LARGE cat) he used to go poo that looked like a small dog had been in
the litter box. It always stunk even on the day I cleaned it.

Patty

Patty
March 23rd 07, 02:53 AM
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:04:16 -0700, Nancy wrote:

> My 18 and 16 year olds both started having this problem a few months
> ago. Both are drinking a lot of water and peeing much more than they
> used to. Unfortunately the 18 year old, Sprite, is very picky about
> what litter she will use! First I tried the pine pellets - 2 cats were
> fine with it, but not Sprite! I tried the mix method, she wouldn't go
> near the stuff. Next I tried Swheat Scoop. She will use it (they all
> will), but I hate the smell. And it doesn't clump very well. Next was
> crystals. Alone, the pee built up - icky to clean. Mixed with Nature's
> Miracle wheat litter, is working so far. Finally, tried Yesterday's News
> recycled newspaper pellets. Too much like clay litter for me. When
> that runs out I'm going with one box pine pellets, one box crystals
> mixed with wheat. But the wheat doesn't scoop well, so i may try
> crystals/regular clump litter and see if their paws stay clean.
>
> Nancy

You might want to get them blood workup for kidneys (BUN and CREATININE).
When older cats begin drinking and peeing more, it may be a sign of early
kidney failure.

Patty

Patty
March 23rd 07, 02:55 AM
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:11:29 -0700, 22brix wrote:

> "Nancy" > wrote in message
>> My 18 and 16 year olds both started having this problem a few months ago.
>> Both are drinking a lot of water and peeing much more than they used to.
>

>> Nancy
>
> Hi Nancy,
>
> Have your cats been seen by a vet? Excessive drinking and peeing can
> indicate kidney disease.
>
> Bonnie

I just had a thought, diabetes can also be indicated by excessive drinking
and peeing too.

Patty

cindys
March 23rd 07, 03:42 AM
"Patty" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:28:26 -0400, cindys wrote:
>> ----------
>> I use either the Tidy Cat (or store brand) scoopable/clumping cat litter
>> *with crystals.* I used to use the type of litter that was all crystals
>> (also supposedly flushable) but it was very expensive and one of my cats
>> didn't like it and decided the living room carpet made a litter box. So,
>> compromised and went to the more traditional clumping stuff with
>> crystals,
>> and it's worked out great. My cats are all happy to use it and there is
>> virtually no oder emanating from any of the litter boxes. It does not
>> claim
>> to be a flushable litter, and I would never flush any cat litter again
>> anyway. I think the Swheat Scoop was fine (except for the clogged pipe
>> problem). It's just that I discovered my current litter along the way and
>> preferred it, so I never went back to the Swheat Scoop. If for some
>> reason
>> my cats stopped using my current litter, I would feel fine about going
>> back
>> to Swheat Scoop. I just wouldn't flush it.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Are the crystal mixes really good?

*I* think so. I really used to like the 100% crystal stuff because it
absorbed the urine and dehydrated the poop. There was virtually no odor and
it rinsed easily out of the box (I think it was actually soluble in water
and that's why it was technically flushable although by that time, I had
learned the hard way not to flush anything). It never stuck at all to the
litter boxes. The used litter just poured out. I rinsed the box with a
little soap and water followed by some Nature's Miracle, and I was done in a
few minutes. The disadvantage was that the 100% crystal litter was
outrageously expensive. I might not have minded the expense if I had only
one or two litter boxes, but I had five at the time (now, I have six). And
of course the big thing was that at some point, Amanda decided she didn't
like the crystal litter and preferred the living room carpet instead. It
doesn't matter how great a cat litter is if the cat won't use it.

Next, I went back to the plain old clumping stuff, and the cats liked it a
lot better and it was much cheaper, but no matter how much I cleaned the
boxes, they reeked. At one point, I had an out-of-town guest who asked if he
could use my computer to check his e-mail. My computer is in the upstairs of
my house where I keep five litterboxes (one in each of three bedrooms, and
two in the bathroom). I was so embarassed because of the odor.

Then, one day, by pure chance I tried the clumping stuff with the crystals.
It was like a miracle. Almost zero odor, even in the covered boxes. (Half of
my boxes are open, and have are covered).

>Are they mostly just for odor?

Yes. Mostly for odor but I think they may also help absorb urine and/or
dehydrate the poop. That would explain in part why there is very little
odor. I clean the boxes every day anyway, and I can see with my eyes that
they're full, but my nose would never know. BTW, the litter clumps very hard
and the clumps generally don't fall apart when I'm scooping.

>We have
> the litter box in the basement, but with Rusty, the litter never smells
> because he goes such small amounts. Now, when Grady was alive (he was a
> very LARGE cat) he used to go poo that looked like a small dog had been in
> the litter box. It always stunk even on the day I cleaned it.

I like the crystal mix. Someone else may not. If you ever become
dissatisfied with your current litter, you could try it.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

22brix
March 23rd 07, 04:06 AM
"Patty" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:11:29 -0700, 22brix wrote:
>
>> "Nancy" > wrote in message
>>> My 18 and 16 year olds both started having this problem a few months
>>> ago.
>>> Both are drinking a lot of water and peeing much more than they used to.
>>

>>> Nancy
>>
>> Hi Nancy,
>>
>> Have your cats been seen by a vet? Excessive drinking and peeing can
>> indicate kidney disease.
>>
>> Bonnie
>
> I just had a thought, diabetes can also be indicated by excessive drinking
> and peeing too.
>
> Patty

Yeah--could be. Have your kitties been to the vet?

22brix
March 23rd 07, 04:10 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "Patty" > wrote in message

>>> Hi Nancy,
>>>
>>> Have your cats been seen by a vet? Excessive drinking and peeing can
>>> indicate kidney disease.
>>>
>>> Bonnie
>>
>> I just had a thought, diabetes can also be indicated by excessive
>> drinking
>> and peeing too.
>>
>> Patty
>
> Yeah--could be. Have your kitties been to the vet?

Patty, I'm sorry--I was directing my comments about taking kitties to the
vet to the OP!!

Bonnie

Rhonda
March 24th 07, 03:39 PM
We like Feline Pine. I would say the only negative is the tracking of
saw dust, but I'm sure there's tracking with most litters. It really
does well with the odor, and I like how easily it composts.

Rhonda

Patty wrote:
> I did buy a small bag of feline pine and I might go ahead and give it a
> whirl when I do my complete clean of the litter box out this spring.

Rhonda
March 24th 07, 03:40 PM
One of our cats is on clumping litter, and she gets small clumps stuck
on her toenails and sometimes inbetween the pads. I think she does it
when she covers it up.

Rhonda

cybercat wrote:

> A question: why is the litter wet? Cats don't usually step in their own
> waste.

Lynne
March 24th 07, 04:07 PM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:39:30 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:

> We like Feline Pine. I would say the only negative is the tracking of
> saw dust, but I'm sure there's tracking with most litters. It really
> does well with the odor, and I like how easily it composts.

I recently purchased a 30 lb bag of Woody Pet for $6.50. It's the same
stuff as Feline Pine, for which I pay $9-11 for 20 lbs. I'm thrilled with
this discovery!

Also, if you use the sifting box and shake the sawdust down daily, end of
tracking.

--
Lynne