PDA

View Full Version : My cat Mocha- possible recalled food victim- may recover

March 21st 07, 10:05 PM
Here is an update on Mocha my 17 year old Burmese who suddenly
collapsed with kidney failure over the weekend:

First of all, Mocha did eat the recalled food- a lot of it. She had
been treated for an unrelated problem and had made a good recovery and
I was trying to put some weight back on her. She just loved the
"gravy and cuts" style food. I fed her Iam's in the pouch, Science
Diet and Fancy Feast (which I understand is not on the recall list)-
How ironic that I tried to get the "cuts and gravy" style in Iams and
Science Diet whenever possible because I thought it would be healthier
than Fancy Feast.

About three to four weeks ago she started throwing up and the refused
to eat for about three days. I was just about to take her in when she
seemed to snap out of it. She had a follow-up vet appointment
scheduled soon anyway, so I stopped worrying about it- she seems to be
eating less, but still ok- then she collapsed on Saturday.

The good news is that even though her numbers are very bad, she may
well recover. I finally got her to an internist who told me this is
treatable with very aggressive treatment- she is checked in to a 24
hour care facility- at least until the end of the week. The bad news
is that she is running up an astronomical bill- still, at this point
my wife and I are willing to spend some savings and take on some
credit card debt to try to get her through. I would have absolutely
no criticism at all for someone who made a different decision, we are
just lucky that we can find a way to pay for treatment- others may not
be so lucky.

Finally, my suspicions about the food is only circumstantial- I
certainly have no way of knowing the particular lot number of cans I
bought- all I know is she ate the brands and style of the recalled
food, and she had her kidneys tested last October- they were at the
top end of the range, which was normal for an older cat, but still
quite functional. Her Creatinine was 2.3 in October- and 10.0 when
she collapsed.

Cindy S- sorry to hear about your Molly- believe me I certainly
understand what you went through, now that I have had this
experience. I feel that Mocha's case is a little different in that
this was sudden, probably caused by bad food, and she was otherwise in
good health- our vet felt she probably had 2 or 3 good years left. I
think that even if she recovers, we will be looking at the big
decision fairly soon- even if she recovers she won't be anywhere near
as healthy as she was.

Thanks,
Steve V.

Cat Protector
March 21st 07, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I hope she gets better. You might want to
consider jumping on board with the class action lawsuit that is forming.
Something tells me Menu Foods is going to lose a lot more than $30 million
on this one.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Here is an update on Mocha my 17 year old Burmese who suddenly
> collapsed with kidney failure over the weekend:
>
> First of all, Mocha did eat the recalled food- a lot of it. She had
> been treated for an unrelated problem and had made a good recovery and
> I was trying to put some weight back on her. She just loved the
> "gravy and cuts" style food. I fed her Iam's in the pouch, Science
> Diet and Fancy Feast (which I understand is not on the recall list)-
> How ironic that I tried to get the "cuts and gravy" style in Iams and
> Science Diet whenever possible because I thought it would be healthier
> than Fancy Feast.
>
> About three to four weeks ago she started throwing up and the refused
> to eat for about three days. I was just about to take her in when she
> seemed to snap out of it. She had a follow-up vet appointment
> scheduled soon anyway, so I stopped worrying about it- she seems to be
> eating less, but still ok- then she collapsed on Saturday.
>
> The good news is that even though her numbers are very bad, she may
> well recover. I finally got her to an internist who told me this is
> treatable with very aggressive treatment- she is checked in to a 24
> hour care facility- at least until the end of the week. The bad news
> is that she is running up an astronomical bill- still, at this point
> my wife and I are willing to spend some savings and take on some
> credit card debt to try to get her through. I would have absolutely
> no criticism at all for someone who made a different decision, we are
> just lucky that we can find a way to pay for treatment- others may not
> be so lucky.
>
> Finally, my suspicions about the food is only circumstantial- I
> certainly have no way of knowing the particular lot number of cans I
> bought- all I know is she ate the brands and style of the recalled
> food, and she had her kidneys tested last October- they were at the
> top end of the range, which was normal for an older cat, but still
> quite functional. Her Creatinine was 2.3 in October- and 10.0 when
> she collapsed.
>

> Cindy S- sorry to hear about your Molly- believe me I certainly
> understand what you went through, now that I have had this
> experience. I feel that Mocha's case is a little different in that
> this was sudden, probably caused by bad food, and she was otherwise in
> good health- our vet felt she probably had 2 or 3 good years left. I
> think that even if she recovers, we will be looking at the big
> decision fairly soon- even if she recovers she won't be anywhere near
> as healthy as she was.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve V.

cindys
March 21st 07, 11:04 PM
" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Here is an update on Mocha my 17 year old Burmese who suddenly
> collapsed with kidney failure over the weekend:
>
> First of all, Mocha did eat the recalled food- a lot of it. She had
> been treated for an unrelated problem and had made a good recovery and
> I was trying to put some weight back on her. She just loved the
> "gravy and cuts" style food. I fed her Iam's in the pouch, Science
> Diet and Fancy Feast (which I understand is not on the recall list)-
> How ironic that I tried to get the "cuts and gravy" style in Iams and
> Science Diet whenever possible because I thought it would be healthier
> than Fancy Feast.

Steve, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine how miserable you must be
feeling.

> About three to four weeks ago she started throwing up and the refused
> to eat for about three days. I was just about to take her in when she
> seemed to snap out of it. She had a follow-up vet appointment
> scheduled soon anyway, so I stopped worrying about it- she seems to be
> eating less, but still ok- then she collapsed on Saturday.
>
> The good news is that even though her numbers are very bad, she may
> well recover.

From your mouth to God's ears, as we say.

>I finally got her to an internist who told me this is
> treatable with very aggressive treatment- she is checked in to a 24
> hour care facility- at least until the end of the week.

Please keep us updated. I'm sure everyone on this group will be pulling for
her.

> The bad news
> is that she is running up an astronomical bill- still, at this point
> my wife and I are willing to spend some savings and take on some
> credit card debt to try to get her through.

Sometime, I will tell the story of our dog, Alvin. We adopted him at three
years old, not knowing he had been hit by a car three months before and his
injuries had been left untreated. The vet told us Alvin was a timebomb. We
could euthanize or he could have major surgery. We opted for the surgery.
There were complications. He nearly died in the recovery room and then he
had a major complication the day we brought him home. He had to be rushed
back on an emergency basis, again cheating death by a matter of moments, and
then he required a two-week hospital stay. To make a long story short, it
took us an entire year to pay off the medical bills for a dog we had owned
for less than a week. Was it worth it? You betcha. We were privileged to
have him for 12 glorious years.

>I would have absolutely
> no criticism at all for someone who made a different decision, we are
> just lucky that we can find a way to pay for treatment- others may not
> be so lucky.
>
> Finally, my suspicions about the food is only circumstantial- I
> certainly have no way of knowing the particular lot number of cans I
> bought- all I know is she ate the brands and style of the recalled
> food, and she had her kidneys tested last October- they were at the
> top end of the range, which was normal for an older cat, but still
> quite functional. Her Creatinine was 2.3 in October- and 10.0 when
> she collapsed.
>

> Cindy S- sorry to hear about your Molly- believe me I certainly
> understand what you went through, now that I have had this
> experience. I feel that Mocha's case is a little different in that
> this was sudden, probably caused by bad food, and she was otherwise in
> good health- our vet felt she probably had 2 or 3 good years left.

Steve, I would never suggest that an animal should be euthanized if there is
hope. For Molly, there was no hope of recovery. But nothing would make me
happier than to hear of Mocha's complete recovery.

> think that even if she recovers, we will be looking at the big
> decision fairly soon- even if she recovers she won't be anywhere near
> as healthy as she was.

Now that makes me want to cry. Please keep us posted (hopefully with good
news).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lis
March 22nd 07, 02:50 PM
On Mar 21, 6:05 pm, " >
wrote:
> Here is an update on Mocha my 17 year old Burmese who suddenly
> collapsed with kidney failure over the weekend:
>
> First of all, Mocha did eat the recalled food- a lot of it. She had
> been treated for an unrelated problem and had made a good recovery and
> I was trying to put some weight back on her. She just loved the
> "gravy and cuts" style food. I fed her Iam's in the pouch, Science
> Diet and Fancy Feast (which I understand is not on the recall list)-
> How ironic that I tried to get the "cuts and gravy" style in Iams and
> Science Diet whenever possible because I thought it would be healthier
> than Fancy Feast.
>
> About three to four weeks ago she started throwing up and the refused
> to eat for about three days. I was just about to take her in when she
> seemed to snap out of it. She had a follow-up vet appointment
> scheduled soon anyway, so I stopped worrying about it- she seems to be
> eating less, but still ok- then she collapsed on Saturday.
>
> The good news is that even though her numbers are very bad, she may
> well recover. I finally got her to an internist who told me this is
> treatable with very aggressive treatment- she is checked in to a 24
> hour care facility- at least until the end of the week. The bad news
> is that she is running up an astronomical bill- still, at this point
> my wife and I are willing to spend some savings and take on some
> credit card debt to try to get her through. I would have absolutely
> no criticism at all for someone who made a different decision, we are
> just lucky that we can find a way to pay for treatment- others may not
> be so lucky.
>
> Finally, my suspicions about the food is only circumstantial- I
> certainly have no way of knowing the particular lot number of cans I
> bought- all I know is she ate the brands and style of the recalled
> food, and she had her kidneys tested last October- they were at the
> top end of the range, which was normal for an older cat, but still
> quite functional. Her Creatinine was 2.3 in October- and 10.0 when
> she collapsed.
>
> Cindy S- sorry to hear about your Molly- believe me I certainly
> understand what you went through, now that I have had this
> experience. I feel that Mocha's case is a little different in that
> this was sudden, probably caused by bad food, and she was otherwise in
> good health- our vet felt she probably had 2 or 3 good years left. I
> think that even if she recovers, we will be looking at the big
> decision fairly soon- even if she recovers she won't be anywhere near
> as healthy as she was.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve V.

Steve,

I'm very sorry. I hope Mocha recovers--she may amaze you all with her
resilience!

Lis

zinzee
March 23rd 07, 02:04 AM
On Mar 21, 6:05 pm, " >
wrote:
> Here is an update on Mocha my 17 year old Burmese who suddenly
> collapsed with kidney failure over the weekend:
>
> First of all, Mocha did eat the recalled food- a lot of it. She had
> been treated for an unrelated problem and had made a good recovery and
> I was trying to put some weight back on her. She just loved the
> "gravy and cuts" style food. I fed her Iam's in the pouch, Science
> Diet and Fancy Feast (which I understand is not on the recall list)-
> How ironic that I tried to get the "cuts and gravy" style in Iams and
> Science Diet whenever possible because I thought it would be healthier
> than Fancy Feast.
>
> About three to four weeks ago she started throwing up and the refused
> to eat for about three days. I was just about to take her in when she
> seemed to snap out of it. She had a follow-up vet appointment
> scheduled soon anyway, so I stopped worrying about it- she seems to be
> eating less, but still ok- then she collapsed on Saturday.
>
> The good news is that even though her numbers are very bad, she may
> well recover. I finally got her to an internist who told me this is
> treatable with very aggressive treatment- she is checked in to a 24
> hour care facility- at least until the end of the week. The bad news
> is that she is running up an astronomical bill- still, at this point
> my wife and I are willing to spend some savings and take on some
> credit card debt to try to get her through. I would have absolutely
> no criticism at all for someone who made a different decision, we are
> just lucky that we can find a way to pay for treatment- others may not
> be so lucky.
>
> Finally, my suspicions about the food is only circumstantial- I
> certainly have no way of knowing the particular lot number of cans I
> bought- all I know is she ate the brands and style of the recalled
> food, and she had her kidneys tested last October- they were at the
> top end of the range, which was normal for an older cat, but still
> quite functional. Her Creatinine was 2.3 in October- and 10.0 when
> she collapsed.
>
> Cindy S- sorry to hear about your Molly- believe me I certainly
> understand what you went through, now that I have had this
> experience. I feel that Mocha's case is a little different in that
> this was sudden, probably caused by bad food, and she was otherwise in
> good health- our vet felt she probably had 2 or 3 good years left. I
> think that even if she recovers, we will be looking at the big
> decision fairly soon- even if she recovers she won't be anywhere near
> as healthy as she was.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve V.

Steve,

I am so so sorry to hear about Mocha. This is devastating news, to
say the least. Please know that our hearts and prayers go out to you
and your family. I think you have a very grounded perspective and
much more than I would if I was in your shoes.

Also, if the pet store pulled any of the type of food you purchased
for Mocha, then that is enough for me. You really should see about
joining a class-action law suit. Of course it won't ease your pain,
but perhaps the financial burden.

Please keep us updated.

Wishing the best,
Heather