PDA

View Full Version : Pet Food Maker Can't Explain Deaths

Matthew
March 22nd 07, 12:11 AM
Pet Food Maker Can't Explain Deaths
Menu Foods Looking At Single Ingredient

POSTED: 3:45 pm EDT March 21, 2007
UPDATED: 6:26 pm EDT March 21, 2007

The pet food linked to the deaths of 16 animals has shown no signs of
contamination, the manufacturer says, and the company cannot explain why the
cats and dog developed acute kidney failure and died.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Paul Henderson, the chief
executive and president of Menu Foods, said Wednesday the company was
looking at a single ingredient. He wouldn't identify it, but the Food and
Drug Administration has said the investigation was focusing on wheat gluten.

"Our hypothesis is that it is that ingredient that in fact represents the
highest probability as to the cause," Henderson said. "But we have been
unable to prove that through scientific information."

The animal deaths have led to the recall of 60 million cans and pouches of
pet food sold throughout North America under 95 brand names.

"This is a puzzling and troubling experience for everybody within this
organization," Henderson said in an interview from company headquarters in
Streetsville, Ontario. "It is extremely disheartening that we haven't been
able to find the causative agent."

There have been tests on 10 cats that died, performed by an outside company
for Menu Foods. The results show only that the cats died of acute kidney
failure.

There have been widespread reports of kidney failure, some fatal, in pets
that have eaten the recalled brands. The company has confirmed the overall
deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

Menu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The
recall has sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It
includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway
and other large retailers, as well as private labels like Iams, Nutro and
Eukanuba. Call centers hired by the company received 47,000 calls over the
weekend, Henderson said.

"Our hearts go out to all of the pet owners across Canada, the United States
and Mexico for any losses they experience and certainly for the worry this
incident may be causing," Henderson said.

The FDA has sent investigators to New Jersey and Kansas plants operated by
Menu Foods.

Wheat gluten is a source of protein and was used to thicken the gravy in the
pet food, sold in both cans and pouches, according to the FDA.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes,
descriptions and production dates was available from the Menu Foods Web
site.

The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for
information - (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708. Menu Foods is majority
owned by Menu Foods Income Fund of Streetsville. The company also makes
foods for zoo cats, but those products are unaffected by the recall.

Henderson said the company delayed announcing the recall until it could
confirm that the animals had eaten its product before dying. Two earlier
complaints from consumers whose cats had died involved animals that lived
outside or had access to a garage, which left open the possibility they had
been poisoned by something other than contaminated food, he said.

Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common
ingredient could have been contaminated by heavy metals or mold toxins, the
FDA said.

Woman Sues, Seeks Class-Action Status

A Chicago woman sued Menu Foods on Tuesday, alleging the pet food
manufacturer delayed announcing a recall of 60 million containers of dog and
cat food despite knowing its products were contaminated and potentially
deadly.

Dawn Majerczyk, 43, said her orange tabby, Phoenix, fell sick last week just
two days after he ate a single package of Special Kitty. It is one of 95 cat
and dog food brands recalled by Menu Foods of Canada. Friday's recall came
two weeks after nine cats died during routine company taste tests of its
products, the Food and Drug Administration said.

Majerczyk said she took the 9-year-old cat to its first-ever veterinarian
visit the day of the recall. The cat had lost six pounds in four days and
was lethargic, dehydrated and nearly blind. She returned over the weekend to
have him put down after his organs began to fail. Her suit, filed by Chicago
attorney Jay Edelson, seeks class-action status.

"I want my vet bills and I want some compensation for what they did to my
kids -- and for the company's neglect," Majerczyk, a medical assistant in a
dermatology office.

The company said it had not seen the suit and had no comment. The FDA had no
comment on the com

http://www.local6.com/news/11320224/detail.html?treets=orlpn&tid=2653055048813&tml=orlpn_8pm&tmi=orlpn_8pm_1_07000203212007&ts=H

PawsForThought
March 22nd 07, 12:34 AM
On Mar 21, 7:11 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Pet Food Maker Can't Explain Deaths
> Menu Foods Looking At Single Ingredient

This is really sad :( The way they make petfood, I'm surprised
something like this hasn't happened sooner. I really hope they get to
the bottom of this before more animals get sick or worse. My heart
goes out to those whose animals were affected.

MaryL
March 22nd 07, 02:08 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

<snip>
> Woman Sues, Seeks Class-Action Status
>
> A Chicago woman sued Menu Foods on Tuesday, alleging the pet food
> manufacturer delayed announcing a recall of 60 million containers of dog
> and
> cat food despite knowing its products were contaminated and potentially
> deadly.
>
> Dawn Majerczyk, 43, said her orange tabby, Phoenix, fell sick last week
> just
> two days after he ate a single package of Special Kitty. It is one of 95
> cat
> and dog food brands recalled by Menu Foods of Canada. Friday's recall came
> two weeks after nine cats died during routine company taste tests of its
> products, the Food and Drug Administration said.
>
> Majerczyk said she took the 9-year-old cat to its first-ever veterinarian
> visit the day of the recall. The cat had lost six pounds in four days and
> was lethargic, dehydrated and nearly blind. She returned over the weekend
> have him put down after his organs began to fail. Her suit, filed by
> Chicago
> attorney Jay Edelson, seeks class-action status.
>
> "I want my vet bills and I want some compensation for what they did to my
> kids -- and for the company's neglect," Majerczyk, a medical assistant in
> dermatology office.
>
> The company said it had not seen the suit and had no comment. The FDA had
> no
> comment on the com
>
> http://www.local6.com/news/11320224/detail.html?treets=orlpn&tid=2653055048813&tml=orlpn_8pm&tmi=orlpn_8pm_1_07000203212007&ts=H

All of us are distressed by the cats and dogs that have been affected by
whatever has contaminated their food. However, I was also angry at the
woman described in this article. She is suing the pet food manufacturer for
neglect, but in my opinion *she* has also been grossly negligent (and she is
a medical assistant in a dermatology office, so she should have at least
some knowledge of the need for routine health care). According to the
article, she took her 9-year-old cat for its *first-ever* veterinarian
visit, and the cat had already *lost six pounds in four days* and was
*lethargic, dehydrated and nearly blind.* I can't even envision the rage I
would feel if one of my furbabies had been affected by defective pet food
and I then learned that there had been a delay in issuing a recall, but I
also feel anger at a woman who would delay seeking veterinary care in the
situation described in this article.

MaryL

Cat Protector
March 22nd 07, 03:51 AM
You can't always believe everything you read. It's entirely possible the
reporter got their facts mixed up. Every story I've seen about this woman
and the lawsuit there is no mention of this being the cat's first ever
examination. She is also one of many people now filing lawsuits against Menu
Foods and I'd say they have a clear cut case.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

> All of us are distressed by the cats and dogs that have been affected by
> whatever has contaminated their food. However, I was also angry at the
> woman described in this article. She is suing the pet food manufacturer
> for neglect, but in my opinion *she* has also been grossly negligent (and
> she is a medical assistant in a dermatology office, so she should have at
> least some knowledge of the need for routine health care). According to
> the article, she took her 9-year-old cat for its *first-ever* veterinarian
> visit, and the cat had already *lost six pounds in four days* and was
> *lethargic, dehydrated and nearly blind.* I can't even envision the rage
> I would feel if one of my furbabies had been affected by defective pet
> food and I then learned that there had been a delay in issuing a recall,
> but I also feel anger at a woman who would delay seeking veterinary care
> in the situation described in this article.
>
> MaryL

IBen Getiner
March 22nd 07, 08:46 AM
On Mar 21, 7:11?pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Pet Food Maker Can't Explain Deaths
> Menu Foods Looking At Single Ingredient
>
> POSTED: 3:45 pm EDT March 21, 2007
> UPDATED: 6:26 pm EDT March 21, 2007
>
> The pet food linked to the deaths of 16 animals has shown no signs of
> contamination, the manufacturer says, and the company cannot explain why the
> cats and dog developed acute kidney failure and died.

Terrorism. What else could it be...? The arabs know right where to hit
us. They also know that most people with pets are softies. IOW,
they'll never insist on a fight to get even. Just more pain from our
friends from the 'religion of peace'. Next it'll be Yankee Stadium,
NASCAR or the grand Ole' Opry. Probably not thought, because any one
of those would spark a nation-wide movement to put those olive skin
*******s in interment camps. And that's right where they belong.
Before they can hurt any more precious things uniquly American. Pet
owners, you should be behind me on this one...
They say that all things are fair in love and war, but to **** with
someone's pets...? That's going too far.