PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin

Buddy's Mom
March 22nd 07, 01:31 AM
So now I am reading that Royal Canin hard food for cats contains too
much Vit. D and is also killing cats? And that is what I switched to
from canned food.

I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and feel it
to the kitties.

Lynne
March 22nd 07, 01:39 AM
on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:31:59 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and feel it
> to the kitties.

NOT a good idea, unfortunately. If you're serious about cooking for your
cats, do your homework. They need the meat, the liver, the bones and
TAURINE, among other nutrients.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
March 22nd 07, 01:46 AM
On Wed 21 Mar 2007 08:39:45p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

>> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and
>> feel it to the kitties.
>
> NOT a good idea, unfortunately. If you're serious about cooking
> for your cats, do your homework. They need the meat, the liver,
> the bones and TAURINE, among other nutrients.

Emphasizing Lynne's message. Not too much liver (vit A overdose), and
heart is a good source of taurine. Research research research.

--
Cheryl

cindys
March 22nd 07, 01:54 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Wed 21 Mar 2007 08:39:45p, Lynne wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> m>:
>
>>> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and
>>> feel it to the kitties.
>>
>> NOT a good idea, unfortunately. If you're serious about cooking
>> for your cats, do your homework. They need the meat, the liver,
>> the bones and TAURINE, among other nutrients.
>
> Emphasizing Lynne's message. Not too much liver (vit A overdose), and
> heart is a good source of taurine. Research research research.
----------
In the last year of Molly's life, when she would eat only human tuna, I used
to supplement her with Felovite II vitamins. Could a healthy cat do well,
long term, on a diet of homemade cooked chicken (e.g.) plus feline vitamins
to supply the taurine and the other required vitamins?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Cheryl
March 22nd 07, 02:23 AM
On Wed 21 Mar 2007 08:54:14p, cindys wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> In the last year of Molly's life, when she would eat only human
> tuna, I used to supplement her with Felovite II vitamins. Could
> a healthy cat do well, long term, on a diet of homemade cooked
> chicken (e.g.) plus feline vitamins to supply the taurine and
> the other required vitamins?

Wish I knew. I had a cat with IBD and it seemed that nothing he ate
(once he started eating again) agreed with him. I tried to home-
cook his food. Some people with IBD cats have had great results
with a raw diet, but I am not confident in my ability to create a
healthy, safe diet, so I tried a cooked recipe given to me from my
vet. He wouldn't eat it. It had chicken, rice, vitamin supplement.
I think the vitamin supplements that I found have too strong of a
medicinal smell for it to be appealing to cats.

There are books that have recipes for home-cooked diets for pets.
If you're really interested in trying it, I'd suggest looking for a
reputable one.

--
Cheryl

Corey Kaye
March 22nd 07, 04:06 AM
Buddy's Mom wrote:

> So now I am reading that Royal Canin hard food for cats contains too
> much Vit. D and is also killing cats? And that is what I switched to
> from canned food.
>
> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and feel it
> to the kitties.

Interesting. My one experience was brief and expensive. I have a cat
who showed very early kidney disease. At the recommendation of my vet,
I switched her from Innova to Royal Canin Renal LP.

After a month, cat was riddled with calcium oxalate stones, and had a
SEVERE kidney infection. Cat had no stones before Royal Canin. Now cat
has LOTS of stones. We switched to X/D and we're not seeing any new
stone formation.

Poor kitty :(

Corey

cybercat
March 22nd 07, 04:59 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Buddy's Mom wrote:
>
>> So now I am reading that Royal Canin hard food for cats contains too
>> much Vit. D and is also killing cats? And that is what I switched to
>> from canned food.
>>
>> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and feel it
>> to the kitties.
>

> Interesting. My one experience was brief and expensive. I have a cat who
> showed very early kidney disease. At the recommendation of my vet, I
> switched her from Innova to Royal Canin Renal LP.
>
> After a month, cat was riddled with calcium oxalate stones, and had a
> SEVERE kidney infection. Cat had no stones before Royal Canin. Now cat
> has LOTS of stones. We switched to X/D and we're not seeing any new stone
> formation.
>
> Poor kitty :(

Um, right. You seem to have this problem with a lot of premium foods,
as in, you posted that Fancy Feast Killed your Cat a few days back.

Corey Kaye
March 22nd 07, 05:51 AM
cybercat wrote:

> Um, right. You seem to have this problem with a lot of premium foods,
> as in, you posted that Fancy Feast Killed your Cat a few days back.

:rolleyes:

Yep, you're right. I'm TOTALLY MAKING IT UP that my cat presented with
calcium oxalate stones after feeding Royal Canin. /sarcasm

Sweetheart, I've got the radiographs to prove it along with a negative
UA prior to the food change and a very positive UA after. The SINGLE
change was the food.

Would you care to tell me how YOU would explain that?

And I REALLY think you're stretching things by calling Fancy Feast a
"premium food."

Corey

cybercat
March 22nd 07, 06:01 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Um, right. You seem to have this problem with a lot of premium foods,
>> as in, you posted that Fancy Feast Killed your Cat a few days back.
>
> :rolleyes:
>
> Yep, you're right. I'm TOTALLY MAKING IT UP that my cat presented with
> calcium oxalate stones after feeding Royal Canin. /sarcasm
>
> Sweetheart, I've got the radiographs to prove it along with a negative UA
> prior to the food change and a very positive UA after. The SINGLE change
> was the food.

There did not have to be a change at all. Your cat may have been predisposed
to the problem. My point is, you are very fast to blame food for your cat's
health problems. It is ridiculous.

> Would you care to tell me how YOU would explain that?
>
> And I REALLY think you're stretching things by calling Fancy Feast a
> "premium food."

Bull****. You admitted that you haven't even looked at the nutrition
differences since Purina took over a few years ago. Honeybuns.

Lynne
March 22nd 07, 01:49 PM
on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:01:02 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Honeybuns.

heh

--
Lynne

Lawrence Levinson
March 22nd 07, 02:59 PM
On Mar 22, 5:49 am, Lynne > wrote:
> on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:01:02 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > Honeybuns.
>
> heh
>
> --
> Lynne

Feeding RAW diets is expensive, not precise as you guys mentioned
above, and really dangerous! Have you seen how much fecal coliform,
salmonella and other great things are in raw food? You really wouldn't
want to bring that into your home.

- Big B

cindys
March 23rd 07, 03:22 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>

>> Bull****. You admitted that you haven't even looked at the nutrition
>> differences since Purina took over a few years ago. Honeybuns.
>
> I looked at several cans when I was in the grocery store last week. All
> had by-products in the first three ingredients. That's *not* premium
> food.
----------
I have a can of FF Tender Beef Feast sitting in front of me. The first four
ingredients are: Beef, beef broth, liver, fish. I have many other cans of
various flavors in my cupboard. I will be happy to provide the first three
ingredients for each of them.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Corey Kaye
March 23rd 07, 04:07 AM
cybercat wrote:

> There did not have to be a change at all. Your cat may have been predisposed
> to the problem. My point is, you are very fast to blame food for your cat's
> health problems. It is ridiculous.

Sure. Cat is crystal-free for 7 years. After four weeks of a new food,
cat is riddled with crystals. That's one HELL of a coincidence.

cybercat wrote:

> There did not have to be a change at all. Your cat may have been predisposed
> to the problem. My point is, you are very fast to blame food for your cat's
> health problems. It is ridiculous.

Sure. Cat is crystal-free for 7 years. After four weeks of a new food,
cat is riddled with crystals. That's one HELL of a coincidence.

> Bull****. You admitted that you haven't even looked at the nutrition
> differences since Purina took over a few years ago. Honeybuns.

I looked at several cans when I was in the grocery store last week. All
had by-products in the first three ingredients. That's *not* premium food.

Corey

IBen Getiner
March 23rd 07, 04:47 AM
On Mar 21, 7:31�pm, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
> So now I am reading that Royal Canin hard food for cats contains too
> much Vit. D and is also killing cats? *And that is what I switched to
> from canned food.
>
> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and feel it
> to the kitties.

Hello, Mrs. Buddy. Why don't you just stick to dry food? Then you
wouldn't have to worry. If all of you were feeding your boys and girls
dry food, this conversation wouldn't even be happening. But you just
HAD to spoil them, now didn't you...? See... that's one thing I will
never allow my wife to stray off the coarse and do. Ruin the cat. Our
boy gets dry food in moderate amounts. Twice daily. And he doesn't
have an unlimited feeding station. That's why he'z now fit and trim.
We do give him special treats from time to time. Cat treats that come
in a can. We take the lid off and he has to figure out how to do the
rest. And he usually does. Healthy for him mentally. He does enjoy the
occasional dropped shrimp or empty tuna can to make the most of. But
rarely.
IBen's advice: Quit SPOILING your boys and girls. Dry food only. And
be glad of this one thing... that they don't have any vocal cords to
let you know about it.

IBen

IBen Getiner
March 23rd 07, 04:48 AM
On Mar 22, 12:01?am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> Bull****. You admitted that......

<snip profanity>

Watch it or you'll be reported to the netcops.... LOL..!!!!

IBen Getiner

cybercat
March 23rd 07, 05:28 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> cybercat wrote:
>>

>>> Bull****. You admitted that you haven't even looked at the nutrition
>>> differences since Purina took over a few years ago. Honeybuns.
>>
>> I looked at several cans when I was in the grocery store last week. All
>> had by-products in the first three ingredients. That's *not* premium
>> food.
> ----------
> I have a can of FF Tender Beef Feast sitting in front of me. The first
> four ingredients are: Beef, beef broth, liver, fish. I have many other
> cans of various flavors in my cupboard. I will be happy to provide the
> first three ingredients for each of them.
> Best regards,
> --Cindy S.

Corey has made up his mind, please don't confuse him with the facts.

March 23rd 07, 10:23 AM
> I have a can of FF Tender Beef Feast sitting in front of me. The first four
> ingredients are: Beef, beef broth, liver, fish. I have many other cans of
> various flavors in my cupboard. I will be happy to provide the first three
> ingredients for each of them.

I think it depends on the type. My cats only like the feast versions.
Not thye cuts, sliced, etc. Just the ground up mush. Of the 4 flavors
I have here, 3 had meat by-products as the 2nd ingredient and one with
it as the 4th ingredient.

I wish it didn't have it, but it beats most of the grocery store
brands that don't have meat as the first ingredient. And I haven't
found any other canned food that Jay Jay will eat. It was only a
couple months ago that he decided that two of these flavors were
acceptable.

cindys
March 23rd 07, 12:41 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

>> I have a can of FF Tender Beef Feast sitting in front of me. The first
>> four
>> ingredients are: Beef, beef broth, liver, fish. I have many other cans of
>> various flavors in my cupboard. I will be happy to provide the first
>> three
>> ingredients for each of them.
>
> I think it depends on the type. My cats only like the feast versions.
> Not thye cuts, sliced, etc. Just the ground up mush. Of the 4 flavors
> I have here, 3 had meat by-products as the 2nd ingredient and one with
> it as the 4th ingredient.
>
> I wish it didn't have it, but it beats most of the grocery store
> brands that don't have meat as the first ingredient. And I haven't
> found any other canned food that Jay Jay will eat. It was only a
> couple months ago that he decided that two of these flavors were
> acceptable.
-----------
There is a new brand on the market which I purchased in my supermarket. It
comes in only three flavors. It's called "Promise." Its motto is: "Let
byproducts be bygones. " It costs 99 cents for the 5.5 ounce can. My cats
are willing to eat it.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

March 25th 07, 11:25 AM
From what I've read, it was SUPPOSEDLY only 6 or 7 types of canned foods
that
were only sold by veterinarians only in 2006. (Google this for info).

However, up until this week I was a long time R.C. customer, & my gut
feeling from dealing with them this week is that they are currently
covering up
SOMETHING; at minimum they're playing corporate cover thy rear politics.
Their very unopen communication style has cost them at least this
customer. They refuse to comment as to whether menu manufactures any of
their foods.

Buddy's Mom wrote:

> So now I am reading that Royal Canin hard food for cats contains too
> much Vit. D and is also killing cats? And that is what I switched to
> from canned food.
>
> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and feel it
> to the kitties.

March 26th 07, 10:48 AM
> There is a new brand on the market which I purchased in my supermarket. It
> comes in only three flavors. It's called "Promise." Its motto is: "Let
> byproducts be bygones. " It costs 99 cents for the 5.5 ounce can. My cats
> are willing to eat it.

It sounds good, but I would be hesitant to buy it right now. I checked
their website, and it still has rice in it. The whole problem with the
recalled foods was rat poison in the grain.

I just checked my Fancy Feast can. Yes, it does by-products, but it
does NOT have any grain in it. And cats will eat the whole mouse or
bird, so they would be getting by-products if they ate an animal. I
think I would rather have that than the rice, especially if that rice
is coming from another country that does not have the same laws
concerning food storage.

cindys
March 26th 07, 12:45 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> There is a new brand on the market which I purchased in my supermarket.
>> It
>> comes in only three flavors. It's called "Promise." Its motto is: "Let
>> byproducts be bygones. " It costs 99 cents for the 5.5 ounce can. My cats
>> are willing to eat it.
>
> It sounds good, but I would be hesitant to buy it right now. I checked
> their website, and it still has rice in it.
------------
That's up to you, but as far as I know the grain in question is wheat, not
rice. I've never heard anything about rice being implicated. And Promise pet
food is not manufactured/produced by Menu Foods. I am not aware that any
other company is implicated.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

>The whole problem with the
> recalled foods was rat poison in the grain.
>
> I just checked my Fancy Feast can. Yes, it does by-products, but it
> does NOT have any grain in it. And cats will eat the whole mouse or
> bird, so they would be getting by-products if they ate an animal. I
> think I would rather have that than the rice, especially if that rice
> is coming from another country that does not have the same laws
> concerning food storage.

March 27th 07, 07:13 AM
On Mar 26, 3:45 am, "cindys" > wrote:

> That's up to you, but as far as I know the grain in question is wheat, not
> rice. I've never heard anything about rice being implicated. And Promise pet
> food is not manufactured/produced by Menu Foods. I am not aware that any
> other company is implicated.

Correct. But the problem was grain being stored with rat poison in
china. How do know where each grain is coming from? How do we know
where Pet Promise gets their rice from? It is produced by a different
company, but it could still be buying cheap grain from overseas.

Frankly, I would rather have meat by-products, which a cat would get
anyway if they killed and ate their own meat, than deal with any kind
of grain from a foreign country that doesn't follow our rules on
pesticides and rat poison.

Fancy Feast is on the good list as well, so why should I switch from a
food that has no grain to one that does? That's just one more risk I
would rather not take. It may be safe today, but maybe not tomorrow.

Cat Protector
April 3rd 07, 07:47 AM
Royal Canin is loaded with by-product. I feed my cats Blue Buffalo and they
love it. No corn, wheat or soy, and the meats they use aren't hormone or
drug injected. It also has cranberry in it for urinary tract health. My cats
love it and I have peace of mind knowing that feeding them that stuff
they're on a healthier diet. Their coats look great and they aren't hacking
up hairballs all the time.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So now I am reading that Royal Canin hard food for cats contains too
> much Vit. D and is also killing cats? And that is what I switched to
> from canned food.
>
> I guess someone was correct - just cook chicken yourself and feel it
> to the kitties.

Tom Wilson
April 4th 07, 07:11 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Royal Canin is loaded with by-product. I feed my cats Blue Buffalo and
> they love it. No corn, wheat or soy, and the meats they use aren't hormone
> or drug injected. It also has cranberry in it for urinary tract health. My
> cats love it and I have peace of mind knowing that feeding them that stuff
> they're on a healthier diet. Their coats look great and they aren't
> hacking up hairballs all the time.

From looking at the Spa Select web site, it appears Blue Buffalo
is made by the same company that makes the canned Spa Select that I
have been using. In fact, last time I was in Petsmart I recall seeing
the Blue Buffalo dry bags mixed in with the Spa Select cans. Believe
the full name of Spa Select is Spa Select Blue, same company? I will
give the Blue Buffalo a try, especially since the Spa Select canned
food is the only can food my cats have ever been able to eat without
throwing it up.

Tom