PDA

View Full Version : Cat getting fat and lazy - need exercise ideas

Flatfaced BubbleEyes
March 23rd 07, 07:21 PM
My 7 year old cat seems to spend more and more time just sleeping. She was
recently to the vet for teeth cleaning and had bloodwork done, she's
totally healthy. Still, I can't help but be concerned when all she wants
to do these days is lay at the top of a tall cat tree and sleep the day
away. And then she sleeps all through the night. So maybe in a 24 hour
period, she's only active 1 or 2 hours. She weighs 14 pounds and I totally
adore her.

I have lots of feather teases, stuffed mice, pingpong balls, turbo
scratcher, and laser pointer. But it's all boring for her now, she's just
not interested in playing. I've often thought I should invent for her a
huge wheel to walk and run inside, like a hamster wheel. But she'd
probably ignore that also. I need ideas for play and exercise!

Matthew
March 23rd 07, 07:42 PM
Ignore the other idiot they make a whole bunch of toys you can try a remote
control mouse

Did you mention this to your vet about the inactivity

"Flatfaced BubbleEyes" > wrote in message
er.mixmin.net...
> My 7 year old cat seems to spend more and more time just sleeping. She was
> recently to the vet for teeth cleaning and had bloodwork done, she's
> totally healthy. Still, I can't help but be concerned when all she wants
> to do these days is lay at the top of a tall cat tree and sleep the day
> away. And then she sleeps all through the night. So maybe in a 24 hour
> period, she's only active 1 or 2 hours. She weighs 14 pounds and I
> totally
> adore her.
>
> I have lots of feather teases, stuffed mice, pingpong balls, turbo
> scratcher, and laser pointer. But it's all boring for her now, she's just
> not interested in playing. I've often thought I should invent for her a
> huge wheel to walk and run inside, like a hamster wheel. But she'd
> probably ignore that also. I need ideas for play and exercise!

Rene S.
March 23rd 07, 08:17 PM
> I have lots of feather teases, stuffed mice, pingpong balls, turbo
> scratcher, and laser pointer. But it's all boring for her now, she's just
> not interested in playing. I've often thought I should invent for her a
> huge wheel to walk and run inside, like a hamster wheel. But she'd
> probably ignore that also. I need ideas for play and exercise!

Cats get bored with their toys. Put some away and rotate them, so they
always seem "new." Put out a paper bag or box now and then. Hide
treats around so he has to hunt for them. Or, I play the chase-the-
treat game. Throw a small treat waaaaaaay across the kitchen floor or
room and make them run for it.

I used to have your problem. One of my cats tends to be lazy. The best
solution for activity is to get another cat! Once I added a second
cat, the first one wasn't so lazy anymore.

~Roy~
March 23rd 07, 08:21 PM
Is its name Tara or Carol?

-------

Buddy's Mom
March 23rd 07, 09:09 PM
How about cat dancer and Da Bird? Da Bird has several different ends
that you can replace and it's like a new toy again! They do get bored
with the same old, same old. Like the other poster said, you have to
put them away for awhile and then bring them back. Something new is
stimulating!!!!

On Mar 23, 4:17�pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > I have lots of feather teases, stuffed mice, pingpong balls, turbo
> > scratcher, and laser pointer. *But it's all boring for her now, she's just
> > not interested in playing. I've often thought I should invent for her a
> > huge wheel to walk and run inside, like a hamster wheel. *But she'd
> > probably ignore that also. *I need ideas for play and exercise!
>
> Cats get bored with their toys. Put some away and rotate them, so they
> always seem "new." *Put out a paper bag or box now and then. Hide
> treats around so he has to hunt for them. Or, I play the chase-the-
> treat game. Throw a small treat waaaaaaay across the kitchen floor or
> room and make them run for it.
>
> I used to have your problem. One of my cats tends to be lazy. The best
> solution for activity is to get another cat! Once I added a second
> cat, the first one wasn't so lazy anymore.

Lynne
March 23rd 07, 11:39 PM
on Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:17:26 GMT, "Rene S." >
wrote:

> I used to have your problem. One of my cats tends to be lazy. The best
> solution for activity is to get another cat! Once I added a second
> cat, the first one wasn't so lazy anymore.

That was only a temporary stop gap with fat-Rudy. The kitten is stuck
playing with the dog all the time now, while Rudy sleeps the days away
(only waking up to eat, potty, and change sleeping locations). I'm
thinking of getting a treadmill and putting his food at the end of it.
Muhahaha.

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 27th 07, 01:15 PM
on Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:28:53 GMT, "
> wrote:

> Five is on a mostly dry diet and gets extra activity by having to
> chase her kibble. We have hardwood floors throughout most of the
> upstairs and we'll either toss it to her to catch, or pitch it from
> the living room down the long hall and she'll run for it. Then we'll
> toss it over the railing to the basement and she'll run down the steps
> and back up for more. We'll also toss kibble into a copier paper box
> to make her jump into it. It even works to toss kibble into her cat
> carrier that she only goes to TED in and she usually RUNS AWAY at the
> sight of the carrier! Besides portion control and playing with
> teasers that make her bat at them, making her "work for food" helped
> trim Five's "excess baggage" gradually.

That's not only clever as hell, it's a riot! Thanks for the ideas!!

--
Lynne