PDA

View Full Version : Innova Evo


Lynne
March 24th 07, 12:02 AM
I'm returning my 22 remaining cans of Evo. I just got confirmation that it
was manufactured at a Menu Foods plant. The risk, however small, of cross
contamination in the processing equipment is too great a risk with my boys.

I've requested that Natura Pet Products (who makes Innova) refund the money
I paid to petfoodsdirect.com, who will not take returns. I'll be real
interested to see how they respond.

I'll throw it in the garbage if they won't take it back. I wouldn't even
feed this to a rat.

--
Lynne

PawsForThought
March 24th 07, 12:10 AM
On Mar 23, 7:02�pm, Lynne > wrote:
> I'm returning my 22 remaining cans of Evo. *I just got confirmation that it
> was manufactured at a Menu Foods plant. *The risk, however small, of cross
> contamination in the processing equipment is too great a risk with my boys.

Yeah, I wouldn't take a chance either. I'm really surprised. I had
no idea that Evo was manfactured by Menu Foods. I'm so glad I feed my
cats a homemade diet. I feel so bad for people whose pets have gotten
sick or worse :(

Lynne
March 24th 07, 12:14 AM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:10:54 GMT, "PawsForThought" >
wrote:

> I had no idea that Evo was manfactured by Menu Foods.

Only their wet food.

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 24th 07, 12:27 AM
Well screw Natura Pet Products. As a little background, I can't buy their
products from any retailer here. NO ONE carries them. Here is the reply I
got from them:

Natura Pet Products does not encourage Internet Sales therefore we do not
keep a separate listing of who sells our products on the Internet. We
prefer our customers go into their local independent retail store where
they can review date codes for freshness, get the added knowledge of the
store staff about our products, plus make a savings by avoiding the
shipping cost. Any product purchased via the internet is not guaranteed by
Natura Pet Products and must be returned to same internet sales provider.

--
Lynne

The Cat Whisperer[_2_]
March 24th 07, 12:36 AM
where did you get your info... I can find no link between Menu and Innova
Evo..... give us some proof of your statements.
Just because they won't sell to you via internet is no excuse for bashing...
in fact, what they told you is true. (safer to buy in store)
So, before I feed my cats, what link did you find?

"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> Well screw Natura Pet Products. As a little background, I can't buy their
> products from any retailer here. NO ONE carries them. Here is the reply
> I
> got from them:
>
> Natura Pet Products does not encourage Internet Sales therefore we do not
> keep a separate listing of who sells our products on the Internet. We
> prefer our customers go into their local independent retail store where
> they can review date codes for freshness, get the added knowledge of the
> store staff about our products, plus make a savings by avoiding the
> shipping cost. Any product purchased via the internet is not guaranteed by
> Natura Pet Products and must be returned to same internet sales provider.
>
> --
> Lynne



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Lynne
March 24th 07, 12:50 AM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:36:28 GMT, "The Cat Whisperer" <kaos.kaptain at
gmail dot com> wrote:

> where did you get your info... I can find no link between Menu and
> Innova Evo..... give us some proof of your statements.
> Just because they won't sell to you via internet is no excuse for
> bashing... in fact, what they told you is true. (safer to buy in
> store) So, before I feed my cats, what link did you find?

The person who compiled this list:
http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210
called Natura, the mfg of Innova. See our exchange in the comments at the
bottom of the page.

I then called Natura, too, to ask additional questions. Natura confirmed
all of the information. You are welcome to call them, too.

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 24th 07, 12:56 AM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:32:52 GMT, ~ narnia ~ > wrote:

> Innova doesn't use wheat in their products, right? Do you still think
> there's a chance of cross contamination? I just fed my cats a can of
> the red label Innova tonight. This is driving me crazy, I don't know
> what the heck to give them. Should we stick to dry food for a while?

Natura, who "makes" Innova confirmed to me that their Innova Evo wet is
made at a Menu Foods manufacturing plant in S.Dakota. They assured me
that there is no risk of cross contamination because the effected
products were made in a different plant. That should be good enough for
a sane person, but I'm not willing to risk it.

There are no wheat products in the Evo, so the risk is absolutely
miniscule, but I've been on the losing end of odds like that in the past
and so that isn't comforting to me.

> I have 3 cases of Iams wet food which was recalled. My food isn't in
> the date range of the recall, but was manufactured in the plant that
> was involved in the recall. NO WAY am I feeding this to my cats.
>
> Since I couldn't get through to Iams, I called PetFoodDirect and they
> told me to return to Iams for a refund. I explained it wasn't food
> that was part of the recall and they kept telling me they can't give
> refunds, that I have to deal with Iams directly. Then I got a
> supervisor on the line, and she gave me a RMA (Returned Merchandise
> Authorization) number to put on the outside of my package. I can get a
> full refund from them, but have to pay for the return shipping myself.
>
> After that, I called Iams and was finally able to get through on their
> phone line. They didn't even ask me about the date code, just asked if
> it was food that was involved in the recall (and technically it was).
> They don't want the food returned. They asked how much I paid for it
> and a check is on the way.
>
> They told me to dispose of the food carefully. Now how do I do that? I
> want to dispose of it properly so no strays end up eating it. Does
> anyone have any suggestions? I have 72 cans so the less time consuming
> your idea is the more I will appreciate it!

Honestly? I would just chuck it in the trash in the cans. That's not my
style--I reuse and recycle as much as possible--but the only other option
I can think of is to flush it down the toilet...

OR, you could take it to a shelter and let them give it to cats as a last
meal before they are euthanized, but ONLY if it's right before, so they
don't get sick before it's their time to go. I'm not sure if a shelter
would feed it to cats even at that point, though. It seems unethical to
me.


--
Lynne

Lynne
March 24th 07, 12:59 AM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:36:28 GMT, "The Cat Whisperer" <kaos.kaptain at
gmail dot com> wrote:

> Just because they won't sell to you via internet is no excuse for
> bashing...

And by the way, wtf does this mean? I bought it from an internet retailer
who the friggen manufacturer supplied it to, yet that same manufacturer
won't back it up if I buy from them? THEN WHY SUPPLY IT TO THEM??

If I could buy it locally, I would, jackass.

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 24th 07, 01:12 AM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:56:25 GMT, Lynne >
wrote:

> Natura, who "makes" Innova confirmed to me that their Innova Evo wet is
> made at a Menu Foods manufacturing plant in S.Dakota. They assured me
> that there is no risk of cross contamination because the effected
> products were made in a different plant. That should be good enough for
> a sane person, but I'm not willing to risk it.

Okay, I just found this which should help you (and me) relax:

"Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1
billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made
at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said."

from http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/6570572.html

Again, the Innova Evo was manufactured at the Menu Foods plant in S.Dakota.

--
Lynne

wmarcello
March 24th 07, 02:15 AM
On Mar 23, 9:50 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:36:28 GMT, "The Cat Whisperer" <kaos.kaptain at
>
> gmail dot com> wrote:
> > where did you get your info... I can find no link between Menu and
> > Innova Evo..... give us some proof of your statements.
> > Just because they won't sell to you via internet is no excuse for
> > bashing... in fact, what they told you is true. (safer to buy in
> > store) So, before I feed my cats, what link did you find?
>
> The person who compiled this list:http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210
> called Natura, the mfg of Innova. See our exchange in the comments at the
> bottom of the page.
>
> I then called Natura, too, to ask additional questions. Natura confirmed
> all of the information. You are welcome to call them, too.
>
> --
> Lynne

Fantastic list. Thanks Lynne.

wmarcello
March 24th 07, 02:22 AM
On Mar 23, 10:32 pm, ~ narnia ~ > wrote:
> I have 3 cases of Iams wet food which was recalled. My food isn't in
> the date range of the recall, but was manufactured in the plant that
> was involved in the recall. NO WAY am I feeding this to my cats.
>

I think that's a good call staying from IAMS completely, even if your
particular cans are not on the recall list. There are even
independent reports coming out of pets getting sick on their DRY food.

http://www.itchmo.com/read/several-unconfirmed-reports-of-iams-dry-food-causing-illness_20070323

Gandalf
March 24th 07, 04:00 AM
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:32:52 -0500, ~ narnia ~ >
wrote:

>Innova doesn't use wheat in their products, right? Do you still think
>there's a chance of cross contamination? I just fed my cats a can of
>the red label Innova tonight. This is driving me crazy, I don't know
>what the heck to give them. Should we stick to dry food for a while?
>
>I have 3 cases of Iams wet food which was recalled. My food isn't in
>the date range of the recall, but was manufactured in the plant that
>was involved in the recall. NO WAY am I feeding this to my cats.
>
>Since I couldn't get through to Iams, I called PetFoodDirect and they
>told me to return to Iams for a refund. I explained it wasn't food
>that was part of the recall and they kept telling me they can't give
>refunds, that I have to deal with Iams directly. Then I got a
>supervisor on the line, and she gave me a RMA (Returned Merchandise
>Authorization) number to put on the outside of my package. I can get a
>full refund from them, but have to pay for the return shipping myself.
>
>After that, I called Iams and was finally able to get through on their
>phone line. They didn't even ask me about the date code, just asked if
>it was food that was involved in the recall (and technically it was).
>They don't want the food returned. They asked how much I paid for it
>and a check is on the way.
>
>They told me to dispose of the food carefully. Now how do I do that? I
>want to dispose of it properly so no strays end up eating it. Does
>anyone have any suggestions? I have 72 cans so the less time consuming
>your idea is the more I will appreciate it!
>
>~ narnia ~
>
>On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:02:55 -0500, Lynne
> wrote:
>
>>I'm returning my 22 remaining cans of Evo. I just got confirmation that it
>>was manufactured at a Menu Foods plant. The risk, however small, of cross
>>contamination in the processing equipment is too great a risk with my boys.
>>
>>I've requested that Natura Pet Products (who makes Innova) refund the money
>>I paid to petfoodsdirect.com, who will not take returns. I'll be real
>>interested to see how they respond.
>>
>>I'll throw it in the garbage if they won't take it back. I wouldn't even
>>feed this to a rat.

Don't open the cans. Residue could be eaten by your pets, or other
animals. Rats would almost certainly survive, unfortunately. (No offence
meant to pet rat owners; just the irony of the rodent poison thing....)

Just put them in a big garbage bag in a METAL garbage can, early in the
morning, before pickup. Off to the landfill....

Kittie Kat
March 24th 07, 05:29 AM
On Mar 23, 7:27 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> Well screw Natura Pet Products. As a little background, I can't buy their
> products from any retailer here. NO ONE carries them. Here is the reply I
> got from them:
>
> Natura Pet Products does not encourage Internet Sales therefore we do not
> keep a separate listing of who sells our products on the Internet. We
> prefer our customers go into their local independent retail store where
> they can review date codes for freshness, get the added knowledge of the
> store staff about our products, plus make a savings by avoiding the
> shipping cost. Any product purchased via the internet is not guaranteed by
> Natura Pet Products and must be returned to same internet sales provider.
>
> --
> Lynne

That's terrible.

Some of these companies are showing their true colors in all of this
it seems.

I'm also disappointed petfooddirect.com isn't taking returns. I've
bought from them many times....and won't again.

Kittie Kat
March 24th 07, 05:50 AM
On Mar 23, 8:32 pm, ~ narnia ~ > wrote:
> Innova doesn't use wheat in their products, right? Do you still think
> there's a chance of cross contamination? I just fed my cats a can of
> the red label Innova tonight. This is driving me crazy, I don't know
> what the heck to give them. Should we stick to dry food for a while?
>
> I have 3 cases of Iams wet food which was recalled. My food isn't in
> the date range of the recall, but was manufactured in the plant that
> was involved in the recall. NO WAY am I feeding this to my cats.
>
> Since I couldn't get through to Iams, I called PetFoodDirect and they
> told me to return to Iams for a refund. I explained it wasn't food
> that was part of the recall and they kept telling me they can't give
> refunds, that I have to deal with Iams directly. Then I got a
> supervisor on the line, and she gave me a RMA (Returned Merchandise
> Authorization) number to put on the outside of my package. I can get a
> full refund from them, but have to pay for the return shipping myself.
>
> After that, I called Iams and was finally able to get through on their
> phone line. They didn't even ask me about the date code, just asked if
> it was food that was involved in the recall (and technically it was).
> They don't want the food returned. They asked how much I paid for it
> and a check is on the way.
>
> They told me to dispose of the food carefully. Now how do I do that? I
> want to dispose of it properly so no strays end up eating it. Does
> anyone have any suggestions? I have 72 cans so the less time consuming
> your idea is the more I will appreciate it!

That's actually pretty decent of Iams.

Personally, I'd take the canned food, add some spices and send a
friendly meatloaf in a gift basket to Menu Foods.

Seriously, though, as much as I hate the idea of contributing to the
landfill, the best thing would be just dump unopened cans in the
trash. I wouldn't think strays could smell through the metal cans.

wmarcello
March 24th 07, 03:32 PM
> Seriously, though, as much as I hate the idea of contributing to the
> landfill, the best thing would be just dump unopened cans in the
> trash. I wouldn't think strays could smell through the metal cans.

I thought that too... what animal is going to chew through a metal
can?! Then I realized those cans might get crushed and opened in the
back of the garbage truck on the way to the landfill...

blkcatgal
March 24th 07, 05:50 PM
So what's the decision? To throw away the Innova food? Even though it was
made a different plant and supposedly does not contain any wheat gluten (or
any grain for that matter)?

The reason I ask is because I've been feeding my cats Wellness (just bought
another case of it yesterday) and according to this list some of Wellness is
made by Menu Foods. I haven't had a chance to call Wellness yet to find out
what plant the food is made at (closed for the weekend) but the Wellness
food also does not contain any grain.

Sue

"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:56:25 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
>> Natura, who "makes" Innova confirmed to me that their Innova Evo wet is
>> made at a Menu Foods manufacturing plant in S.Dakota. They assured me
>> that there is no risk of cross contamination because the effected
>> products were made in a different plant. That should be good enough for
>> a sane person, but I'm not willing to risk it.
>
> Okay, I just found this which should help you (and me) relax:
>
> "Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1
> billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made
> at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said."
>
> from http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/6570572.html
>
> Again, the Innova Evo was manufactured at the Menu Foods plant in
> S.Dakota.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
March 24th 07, 06:25 PM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:50:51 GMT, "blkcatgal" >
wrote:

> So what's the decision? To throw away the Innova food? Even though
> it was made a different plant and supposedly does not contain any
> wheat gluten (or any grain for that matter)?

I'm not feeding it to them, I just can't. According to the latest news
reports, Menu Foods still isn't sure of the source of the poison or what
ingredient was tainted (not to mention how), so I just won't risk feeding
anything made by them to any of my animals.

If I can't get a refund, I'll kiss the money goodbye as I flush it down
the toilet. We're switching to Felidae.

> The reason I ask is because I've been feeding my cats Wellness (just
> bought another case of it yesterday) and according to this list some
> of Wellness is made by Menu Foods. I haven't had a chance to call
> Wellness yet to find out what plant the food is made at (closed for
> the weekend) but the Wellness food also does not contain any grain.

Don't let my hyper-caution make you crazy. Seriously. Do what you are
comfortable doing. Intellectually, I believe the food I have is safe,
but emotionally, I can't make the leap to actually give it to them.

--
Lynne

blkcatgal
March 24th 07, 06:47 PM
I guess you gotta do whatever you are comfortable with. I am the same
way...intellectually I know the food is okay...they have been eating it for
over a month and both are fine. I checked the new stuff I just bought and
most of the codes are the same as what is on the previous stuff I bought
about a month or so ago (guess there's not a big turn-over in the food at
the pet store I buy it from). But there's that little nagging voice in the
back of my brain saying "what happens if they find out it's all the food
Menu Foods has been making for the past few months???" I really think this
is unlikely, though (there goes the intellectual part of me!).

S.

"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:50:51 GMT, "blkcatgal" >
> wrote:
>
>> So what's the decision? To throw away the Innova food? Even though
>> it was made a different plant and supposedly does not contain any
>> wheat gluten (or any grain for that matter)?
>
> I'm not feeding it to them, I just can't. According to the latest news
> reports, Menu Foods still isn't sure of the source of the poison or what
> ingredient was tainted (not to mention how), so I just won't risk feeding
> anything made by them to any of my animals.
>
> If I can't get a refund, I'll kiss the money goodbye as I flush it down
> the toilet. We're switching to Felidae.
>
>> The reason I ask is because I've been feeding my cats Wellness (just
>> bought another case of it yesterday) and according to this list some
>> of Wellness is made by Menu Foods. I haven't had a chance to call
>> Wellness yet to find out what plant the food is made at (closed for
>> the weekend) but the Wellness food also does not contain any grain.
>
> Don't let my hyper-caution make you crazy. Seriously. Do what you are
> comfortable doing. Intellectually, I believe the food I have is safe,
> but emotionally, I can't make the leap to actually give it to them.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
March 24th 07, 06:58 PM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:47:59 GMT, "blkcatgal" >
wrote:

> I guess you gotta do whatever you are comfortable with. I am the same
> way...intellectually I know the food is okay...they have been eating
> it for over a month and both are fine. I checked the new stuff I just
> bought and most of the codes are the same as what is on the previous
> stuff I bought about a month or so ago (guess there's not a big
> turn-over in the food at the pet store I buy it from). But there's
> that little nagging voice in the back of my brain saying "what happens
> if they find out it's all the food Menu Foods has been making for the
> past few months???" I really think this is unlikely, though (there
> goes the intellectual part of me!).

See, you have an advantage--in my mind, anyway. I bought this case in
February and have only fed half each of 2 cans... So I don't have any
proof it's safe. If we were through more of it, I'd feel much better. So
in your shoes, I really wouldn't worry.

--
Lynne

Matthew
March 24th 07, 06:58 PM
Same thing here It makes me wonder if that strange fever and infection that
spirit had months ago before the recall date had anything to do with this.



"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
...
>I guess you gotta do whatever you are comfortable with. I am the same
>way...intellectually I know the food is okay...they have been eating it for
>over a month and both are fine. I checked the new stuff I just bought and
>most of the codes are the same as what is on the previous stuff I bought
>about a month or so ago (guess there's not a big turn-over in the food at
>the pet store I buy it from). But there's that little nagging voice in the
>back of my brain saying "what happens if they find out it's all the food
>Menu Foods has been making for the past few months???" I really think this
>is unlikely, though (there goes the intellectual part of me!).
>
> S.
>
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> m...
>> on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:50:51 GMT, "blkcatgal" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So what's the decision? To throw away the Innova food? Even though
>>> it was made a different plant and supposedly does not contain any
>>> wheat gluten (or any grain for that matter)?
>>
>> I'm not feeding it to them, I just can't. According to the latest news
>> reports, Menu Foods still isn't sure of the source of the poison or what
>> ingredient was tainted (not to mention how), so I just won't risk feeding
>> anything made by them to any of my animals.
>>
>> If I can't get a refund, I'll kiss the money goodbye as I flush it down
>> the toilet. We're switching to Felidae.
>>
>>> The reason I ask is because I've been feeding my cats Wellness (just
>>> bought another case of it yesterday) and according to this list some
>>> of Wellness is made by Menu Foods. I haven't had a chance to call
>>> Wellness yet to find out what plant the food is made at (closed for
>>> the weekend) but the Wellness food also does not contain any grain.
>>
>> Don't let my hyper-caution make you crazy. Seriously. Do what you are
>> comfortable doing. Intellectually, I believe the food I have is safe,
>> but emotionally, I can't make the leap to actually give it to them.
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>
>

Kittie Kat
March 24th 07, 07:26 PM
>
> I'm afraid someone will pull them out of the garbage (I live in NYC,
> anything and everything is possible here!). I think I'll flush them
> down the toilet over the next couple of days.

I hadn't even thought of something like that. And another poster
mentioned them getting smashed and breaking open.

You've got the best idea, IMO. I really respect the time and thought
you've put into this. So many "what ifs" .

Cheryl
March 24th 07, 10:58 PM
On Sat 24 Mar 2007 02:25:57p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> Don't let my hyper-caution make you crazy. Seriously. Do what
> you are comfortable doing. Intellectually, I believe the food I
> have is safe, but emotionally, I can't make the leap to actually
> give it to them.

Other than this scare, how do your cats like it? How do they do on
it? I'd been thinking about buying some to try out on my canned
fooders, but I guess this isn't the time to change food if they're
eating one not on the recall list and doing well. I'd just like to
find some more quality foods to add to their variety.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
March 24th 07, 11:16 PM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:58:26 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Other than this scare, how do your cats like it? How do they do on
> it? I'd been thinking about buying some to try out on my canned
> fooders, but I guess this isn't the time to change food if they're
> eating one not on the recall list and doing well. I'd just like to
> find some more quality foods to add to their variety.

Levi, my amazing kitten (he's on my lap right now), will eat anything.
Both cats LOVE the Evo dry, but Rudy (my 3 year old) was very slow to
come around to the wet. The Evo wet is mushy but not loose in texture,
if that makes sense, and has no gravy. Rudy wouldn't touch the Nutro
cuts & gravy--thank the god, b/c they'd both still be eating it and that
thought SICKENS me. He finally started eating the Evo mush once I
started cutting it into chunks (yeah, the things we do for our kitties!).
What ****es me off is that he did come around, finally, and I was
planning to wean them completely off the dry after my business trip next
week.

I *thought* Evo had premium ingredients. I have certainly been paying a
premium price. Now that I know Menu Foods makes it and that they buy
cheap ingredients, I highly doubt that the "chicken meal" in Evo is any
better than the "chicken meal" in Walmart food. There's just more of it,
and no fillers. Screw that.

I've been doing my homework and am going to go through the agonizing
process of switching them to Felidae. Canidae sent me samples of their
dog food recently (which my dog LOVES and I'm switching her and my new
puppy to). They are a fantastic company to deal with, and I have heard
great things from people who feed their products to their animals (dogs
and cats). They are sending cat food samples now. I didn't ask for
Felidae samples before b/c I had no intention of switching off of Evo for
the cats. Another nice thing for me, since I live in the sticks and no
one around here sells it, is that they guarantee your satisfaction with
their products and will refund your money no matter where you buy it.
Just as it should be, IMO. Canidae even has a link to petfooddirect.com
on their website. Most importantly, they manufacture ALL of their own
foods.

Now I just hope like hell my cats will like it.

--
Lynne

cybercat
March 24th 07, 11:16 PM
"~ narnia ~" > wrote in message
...
> Kittie I couldn't live with myself if I knew I was responsible for an
> animal getting ill. I just wish the folks at Menu Foods felt the same
> way.
>

Who says they don't?

Lynne
March 24th 07, 11:21 PM
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:16:36 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Who says they don't?

It's a fair assumption that a company who manufactures pet food and who
will go with ****ty suppliers to save money don't care enough. Though if
I'm wrong and they are suffering over this, and not just because they know
it's going to hit them in their wallets, then GOOD. I'd like to say that I
hope some of them are suffering so much that they commit suicide, but that
would be wrong of me, so I won't.

--
Lynne

The Cat Whisperer[_2_]
March 24th 07, 11:57 PM
My cats go crazy for Innova Evo wet...
It is their fav for sure out of their weekly variety:
California Natural (Ocean Fish),
Natural Balance (3 flavours: Venison, Turkey, Chicken),
Wellness (Sardine - the only flavour of Wellness they liked)
Solid Gold (their other fav).


"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> On Sat 24 Mar 2007 02:25:57p, Lynne wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> m>:
>
>> Don't let my hyper-caution make you crazy. Seriously. Do what
>> you are comfortable doing. Intellectually, I believe the food I
>> have is safe, but emotionally, I can't make the leap to actually
>> give it to them.
>
> Other than this scare, how do your cats like it? How do they do on
> it? I'd been thinking about buying some to try out on my canned
> fooders, but I guess this isn't the time to change food if they're
> eating one not on the recall list and doing well. I'd just like to
> find some more quality foods to add to their variety.
>
> --
> Cheryl
>
>



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

The Cat Whisperer[_2_]
March 25th 07, 12:00 AM
You really are a wack-job... do you think Menu foods employees don't have
pets too?
Do you think they are all sadistic ****s eager to kill?
They ****ed up, it doesn't mean they should kill themselves... get a grip.
Suicide is no joking matter.

"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:16:36 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> Who says they don't?
>
> It's a fair assumption that a company who manufactures pet food and who
> will go with ****ty suppliers to save money don't care enough. Though if
> I'm wrong and they are suffering over this, and not just because they know
> it's going to hit them in their wallets, then GOOD. I'd like to say that
> I
> hope some of them are suffering so much that they commit suicide, but that
> would be wrong of me, so I won't.
>
> --
> Lynne



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Lynne
March 25th 07, 02:36 AM
on Sun, 25 Mar 2007 00:00:19 GMT, "The Cat Whisperer" <kaos.kaptain at
gmail dot com> wrote:

> Do you think they are all sadistic ****s eager to kill?

I think the Menu Foods executives are greedy *******s who don't give a
flying **** about our pets. If they did, they wouldn't have contracted to
purchase substandard CRAP and put it in their foods and they wouldn't have
waiting a ****ing month after they became aware of the problem before
informing the public. That's what I think.

> They ****ed up, it doesn't mean they should kill themselves... get a
> grip. Suicide is no joking matter.

Who said I was joking?

--
Lynne

Cheryl
March 25th 07, 03:21 AM
On Sat 24 Mar 2007 07:16:28p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> I've been doing my homework and am going to go through the
> agonizing process of switching them to Felidae.

Thanks for the review on Evo. My cats don't like Felidae, or I'd
switch to that. I don't think there's much out there that I
haven't tried my cats on. Which is why I'm thankful we'd settled
on one food that wasn't on the recall list because I'd given up
trying to get them to eat premium foods. FF is it for my two
canned food snobs, and even my big male who only likes dry food has
been eating some varieties of FF lately. So much so that I'm
cutting back on the dry. One of my cats who lives for Calif
Natural dry but will eat some Wellness (which I'm working toward
switching her to more and more) and now I am reading a thread in
another group about Wellness and garlic. AAAK. She won't eat any
other canned food but Wellness turkey. Certified dry food addict.



--
Cheryl

cybercat
March 25th 07, 04:32 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:16:36 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> Who says they don't?
>
> It's a fair assumption that a company who manufactures pet food and who
> will go with ****ty suppliers to save money don't care enough.

I don't think the contamination of a crop of wheat means that the company
"went with
****ty suppliers." Mistakes happen.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Lynne
March 25th 07, 12:55 PM
on Sun, 25 Mar 2007 03:32:56 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> I don't think the contamination of a crop of wheat means that the
> company "went with ****ty suppliers."

Uh, yeah, because buying wheat from China is a sure bet for high quality
product... <sarcasm alert>

Just why do you think they did that, Cybercat? Because they care about
pets? Try profit margain. They care about profit margain. Period.
They may care about their own pets, and they probably care about all the
ones who are suffering and who had died NOW, but you can be damn sure
they didn't give a second thought to getting the lowest priced product
(=CRAP) that they could, no matter how they spin this later. No one
should be surprised by this.

> Mistakes happen.

Oh, please. You say that like it's no one's fault. Mistakes on this
order of magnitude don't just happen. They are the result of poor
decisions made by people who should know better.

More importantly, how a company handles mistakes like this is VERY
telling. I wonder just how many pets could have been saved had they
recalled their foods when they first became aware of the problem? I
guess we'll know soon enough.

**** Menu Foods.

--
Lynne

March 25th 07, 03:50 PM
I called Natura and they said that their canned food is made at Menu
Foods, but not at the Kansas City location where the pet food recall
occurred. Theirs is made at the South Dakota location, and they said
that they provide all the ingredients themselves.

Rose Ross
March 25th 07, 04:44 PM
Hi, just found this "cat talk" club...
any suggestions on home made foods for our furbabies....this cat food
scare has me in a frenzy. Thanks Rosie

cybercat
March 25th 07, 06:47 PM
"Rose Ross" > wrote in message
...
> Hi, just found this "cat talk" club...
> any suggestions on home made foods for our furbabies....this cat food
> scare has me in a frenzy. Thanks Rosie
>

Cats must have taurine or they will go blind. It's a bad idea to make your
own food, unless you really want to learn about cat nutrition first. But
maybe you do. If so, Google is your friend.

What kind of cats do you have?



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

The Cat Whisperer[_2_]
March 25th 07, 07:28 PM
have you recently stopped taking your meds?



"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 25 Mar 2007 03:32:56 GMT, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> I don't think the contamination of a crop of wheat means that the
>> company "went with ****ty suppliers."
>
> Uh, yeah, because buying wheat from China is a sure bet for high quality
> product... <sarcasm alert>
>
> Just why do you think they did that, Cybercat? Because they care about
> pets? Try profit margain. They care about profit margain. Period.
> They may care about their own pets, and they probably care about all the
> ones who are suffering and who had died NOW, but you can be damn sure
> they didn't give a second thought to getting the lowest priced product
> (=CRAP) that they could, no matter how they spin this later. No one
> should be surprised by this.
>
>> Mistakes happen.
>
> Oh, please. You say that like it's no one's fault. Mistakes on this
> order of magnitude don't just happen. They are the result of poor
> decisions made by people who should know better.
>
> More importantly, how a company handles mistakes like this is VERY
> telling. I wonder just how many pets could have been saved had they
> recalled their foods when they first became aware of the problem? I
> guess we'll know soon enough.
>
> **** Menu Foods.
>
> --
> Lynne



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Lynne
March 25th 07, 09:09 PM
on Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:28:45 GMT, "The Cat Whisperer" <kaos.kaptain at
gmail dot com> wrote:

> have you recently stopped taking your meds?

Sounds like projection to me... especially after checking out your Usenet
history.

Unless your goal is to end up in killfiles, you really should at least try
to post some independent ideas, rather than lame, unoriginal attempts at
insults.

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 25th 07, 09:27 PM
on Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:50:36 GMT, wrote:

> I called Natura and they said that their canned food is made at Menu
> Foods, but not at the Kansas City location where the pet food recall
> occurred. Theirs is made at the South Dakota location, and they said
> that they provide all the ingredients themselves.

Thanks for posting this, Mike. I did get that information on Friday but
still don't feel comfortable feeding the Evo to my cats, not until the
source of the poison is discovered. Actually, not ever, given how I feel
about Menu Foods at this point.

--
Lynne

buglady
March 26th 07, 04:00 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
> I don't think the contamination of a crop of wheat means that the company
> "went with
> ****ty suppliers." Mistakes happen.


.........while that's true, MenuFoods used to buy their wheat gluten from MGP
until 18 months ago. I think MGP mentioned in a later story than the one
below that the imported stuff costs 20% less. Menu Foods Income Fund (the
whole name) was also not doing too well last year. This is not a new story.
For example, our country bans certain pesticides for use on some crops, but
the US chemical companies that make them can still sell them to other
countries. Hence food gets into our country with perhaps residual banned
pesticides on them. Apparently we also ship whole foods to other countries
and they come back processed. Why? Cheap labor. Most of the countries
they go to do not have the same safety standards we do. There is no food
safety.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070321/cgw064.html?.v=51

buglady
take out the dog before replying

cybercat
March 26th 07, 07:52 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
link.net...
>
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> I don't think the contamination of a crop of wheat means that the company
>> "went with
>> ****ty suppliers." Mistakes happen.
>
>
> ........while that's true, MenuFoods used to buy their wheat gluten from
> MGP
> until 18 months ago. I think MGP mentioned in a later story than the one
> below that the imported stuff costs 20% less. Menu Foods Income Fund (the
> whole name) was also not doing too well last year. This is not a new
> story.
> For example, our country bans certain pesticides for use on some crops,
> but
> the US chemical companies that make them can still sell them to other
> countries. Hence food gets into our country with perhaps residual banned
> pesticides on them. Apparently we also ship whole foods to other
> countries
> and they come back processed. Why? Cheap labor. Most of the countries
> they go to do not have the same safety standards we do. There is no food
> safety.
>

An informative post, thanks.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Phil P.
March 27th 07, 05:34 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
>Yeah, I wouldn't take a chance either. I'm really surprised. I had
>no idea that Evo was manfactured by Menu Foods.

Wellness, Wysong, and Hill's too!

Although they all say their foods are made according to their strict
guidelines, they're still manufactured by a third party which certainly
affects quality control.

The only company I feel I can trust now is Purina.

What a nightmare this is.

Phil

Charlie Wilkes
March 27th 07, 08:43 AM
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:34:27 +0000, Phil P. wrote:

> "PawsForThought" > wrote in message
>>Yeah, I wouldn't take a chance either. I'm really surprised. I had no
>>idea that Evo was manfactured by Menu Foods.
>
> Wellness, Wysong, and Hill's too!
>
> Although they all say their foods are made according to their strict
> guidelines, they're still manufactured by a third party which certainly
> affects quality control.
>
> The only company I feel I can trust now is Purina.
>
> What a nightmare this is.
>
> Phil

I suspect most premium pet foods are the same as ordinary pet foods, but
with a different label and white-coat marketing to make the consumer feel
elite. It's like the great American bottled-water scam.

But here is a company that apparently uses food-grade ingredients and
processing in their pet foods:

http://www.frommfamily.com/

I'll bet it costs plenty, too.

Charlie

Lesley via CatKB.com
March 27th 07, 01:01 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
>But here is a company that apparently uses food-grade ingredients and
>processing in their pet foods:
>
>http://www.frommfamily.com/
>

It looks good enough for me to eat it!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Lynne
March 27th 07, 01:14 PM
on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 07:43:07 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:

> I suspect most premium pet foods are the same as ordinary pet foods,
> but with a different label and white-coat marketing to make the
> consumer feel elite. It's like the great American bottled-water scam.
>
> But here is a company that apparently uses food-grade ingredients and
> processing in their pet foods:
>
> http://www.frommfamily.com/
>
> I'll bet it costs plenty, too.

It's manufactured in China. No thanks.

--
Lynne

buglady
March 27th 07, 02:15 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The only company I feel I can trust now is Purina.
>
> What a nightmare this is.

.........Yeah, I have to say (from what I've heard) that their Mighty Dog
pouches were withdrawn not because they were manufactured by Menu Foods, but
because they had recently switched to a new supplier for some ingredient and
didn't want to take the chance. That is how business should be done.
They'll come out smelling like a rose on this one.

How not to conduct business:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/16977666.htm

When Diamond kibble was contaminated with aflatoxin they tested every bag
before it left the factory. But then they knew what the contaminant was -
aflatoxin. This is a much more difficult situation as they are still even
now testing individual ingredients because some top vets are not convinced
aminopterin is the sole problem. The scope and mystery of this thing makes
it all the more difficult. I think everyone on the planet understands that
stuff happens, mistakes are made, blah blah. It was Menu Foods handling of
the situation that was downright criminal. If they had been out front from
the get go, not delaying notification, voluntarily stopping production,
communicating regularly with their clients, from pet food companies to
consumers, people would not be so p*ssed.

I'd suggst people keep up with www.howl911.com and www.petconnection.com for
latest info. There's links to 2 vet blogs also (one on each site) -
vetcetera and doolitler which are worth a read.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

sheelagh
March 27th 07, 04:24 PM
On 27 Mar, 08:43, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:34:27 +0000, Phil P. wrote:
> > "PawsForThought" > wrote in message
> >>Yeah, I wouldn't take a chance either. I'm really surprised. I had no
> >>idea that Evo was manfactured by Menu Foods.
>
> > Wellness, Wysong, and Hill's too!
>
> > Although they all say their foods are made according to their strict
> > guidelines, they're still manufactured by a third party which certainly
> > affects quality control.
>
> > The only company I feel I can trust now is Purina.
>
> > What a nightmare this is.
>
> > Phil
>
> I suspect most premium pet foods are the same as ordinary pet foods, but
> with a different label and white-coat marketing to make the consumer feel
> elite. It's like the great American bottled-water scam.
>
> But here is a company that apparently uses food-grade ingredients and
> processing in their pet foods:

> http://www.frommfamily.com/
>
> I'll bet it costs plenty, too.
>
> Charlie- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Is it only certain batch numbers that have been withdrawn from the
market?

The reason I ask is because nothing has been withdrawn from the
shelves over here.
I went to Pets @ Home this morning & I see Hills is still on sale
here.

It must be terrible not knowing which foods you can trust & which ones
you can't...
I hope that things improve for you all soon.
S.

Ollie via CatKB.com
March 27th 07, 06:05 PM
Click on the link in the message above - how not to do business - they knew
there was a problem almost a month before issuing the recall.

cybercat wrote:
>> Kittie I couldn't live with myself if I knew I was responsible for an
>> animal getting ill. I just wish the folks at Menu Foods felt the same
>> way.
>
>Who says they don't?

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200703/1

cybercat
March 27th 07, 06:47 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote:
>> Phil
>
> I suspect most premium pet foods are the same as ordinary pet foods, but
> with a different label and white-coat marketing to make the consumer feel
> elite. It's like the great American bottled-water scam.
>

I knew a truck driver once who used to list the fancy brands and store
brands of things like orange juice that he picked up at the same processing
plant, just packaged with different labels.

Charlie Wilkes
March 28th 07, 01:01 AM
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:47:09 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote:
>>> Phil
>>
>> I suspect most premium pet foods are the same as ordinary pet foods,
>> but with a different label and white-coat marketing to make the
>> consumer feel elite. It's like the great American bottled-water scam.
>>
>>
> I knew a truck driver once who used to list the fancy brands and store
> brands of things like orange juice that he picked up at the same.
> processing plant, just packaged with different labels.

Yeah. I researched this subject years ago for something I wrote. That's
what makes me think pet foods are the same way. They give you a
scientific looking "nutritional analysis" for the 99 cent can without
mentioning that it applies to the 49 cent can as well, because they're
both from the same run. This Menu Foods panic ought to wise people up.

Charlie

kraut
March 28th 07, 01:52 PM
>>>
>>> I suspect most premium pet foods are the same as ordinary pet foods,
>>> but with a different label and white-coat marketing to make the
>>> consumer feel elite. It's like the great American bottled-water scam.
>>>
>>>
>> I knew a truck driver once who used to list the fancy brands and store
>> brands of things like orange juice that he picked up at the same.
>> processing plant, just packaged with different labels.
>
>Yeah. I researched this subject years ago for something I wrote. That's
>what makes me think pet foods are the same way. They give you a
>scientific looking "nutritional analysis" for the 99 cent can without
>mentioning that it applies to the 49 cent can as well, because they're
>both from the same run. This Menu Foods panic ought to wise people up.

Just like gasoline.

A while back I seen a tanker truck dropping gas at a Clark station and
later that same day a seen what I swear was the same truck unloading
at a Sunoco station!!




************************************************** ***
E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/



(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=


************************************************** ***