PDA

View Full Version : Banfield Pet Hospital Database Results

buglady
March 24th 07, 08:27 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-23-poison-pet-food_N.htm
*There is no national reporting system for animal injury or death, so
official numbers are impossible to come by. However, data from the nation's
largest chain of pet hospitals, Banfield, suggests it is as high as hundreds
a week.

Over the three months the food was on the market, the more than 600 Banfield
hospitals in 43 states saw 200 to 250 cases of kidney failure in cats above
the usual number that would have been expected, says Hugh Lewis, president
of Data Savant, Banfield's data collection arm.

During that period the Banfield vets saw 100,000 cats. Extrapolating to the
entire cat population of the USA, that could mean "we're probably talking
_several_ hundred _cats _a _week across the country being affected," Lewis
said.*

Also:
*Henderson confirmed that Menu Foods, the largest maker of wet cat and dog
food in North America, buys wheat gluten from China. It also buys from the
USA, says Menu spokesman Sam Bornstein, and another country that Menu didn't
identify.*

*In 2006 the U.S. imported 28,295,401 pounds of wheat gluten to be used as
animal feed from China, according to USDA's Economic Research Service.
China is the third-largest exporter to the USA, after Australia and the
European Union, which is the largest, estimates MGP Ingredients, of Kansas,
the largest single U.S. wheat gluten producer. It didn't supply Menu with
wheat gluten.
MGP President Tim Newkirk says its tests of wheat gluten from China find it
to be "typically a lower-quality product" than found in the EU, Australia or
the U.S. It's also about 20% cheaper than other imports, he says.*

buglady
take out the dog before replying

PawsForThought
March 24th 07, 10:26 PM
On Mar 24, 3:27 pm, "buglady" > wrote:
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-23-poison-pet-food_N.htm

I would think with all the food that Menu produces, the actual numbers
are going to be much higher, unfortunately.

buglady
March 24th 07, 10:34 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 24, 3:27 pm, "buglady" > wrote:
> > http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-23-poison-pet-food_N.htm
>
> I would think with all the food that Menu produces, the actual numbers
> are going to be much higher, unfortunately.

.......Oh yes, but the "press" has been reporting 16 deaths for days, the
story has taken a back burner and people have their heads in the sand. If
not pushed by the people collecting data at PetConx, I expect this story
would never have been told.

Even with these new numbers, which are backed up by a vet hospital chain
database there was zip on my local news and I doubt the national news will
cover it either. Imagine the furor if 100s of people a week were dying of
kidney failure. And IMHO it could easily be people.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Cheryl
March 24th 07, 11:01 PM
On Sat 24 Mar 2007 06:26:07p, PawsForThought wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> I would think with all the food that Menu produces, the actual
> numbers are going to be much higher, unfortunately.

Same here. Especially all of the store brands. So many people will
buy what is convenient, and if they can pick it on their weekly trip
to the market or Walmart, I'd bet a lot of people buy this crap.

--
Cheryl

MaryL
March 24th 07, 11:54 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 24, 3:27 pm, "buglady" > wrote:
>> http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-23-poison-pet-food_N.htm
>
> I would think with all the food that Menu produces, the actual numbers
> are going to be much higher, unfortunately.

Yes, I'm sure it will be *much* higher. We have even had reports from vets
from small towns in my area who have reported several cats that have had
"unexplained" kidney failure -- young, healthy cats (some improving, some
getting worse, at a few have died), and these cats did eat some of the food
that are on the recall list. This is more than mere anecdotal information,
but it still needs to be confirmed by testing. Just multiply this out by
communities all across the nation, and I think the actual figures would be
extremely high (even after reducing somewhat for self-reported information
that may not be reliable). Incidentally, some people seem to think that
"wet" or "moist" food refers only to canned food. One report I saw
indicated that there has actually been a higher incidence from the "cuts and
gravy" style in foil packets.

MaryL

MaryL