PDA

View Full Version : UTI?

Leo_cat
March 24th 07, 08:52 PM
Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo has
had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a month
later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had removed)
and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it is
underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be something
more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
Thanks,
Olivia

Matthew
March 24th 07, 09:15 PM
the black dandruff is easy it is acne. get rid of any plastic bowl and
use stainless steel. My spirit gets this if he eats from a plastic bowl it
is allergic reaction to plastic

If you vet can't figure it out have you or the vet called another vet to
get a second opinion or to try a different approach

also what type of diet is the furball on you may need to change to a low
ash diet or something along that nature

"Leo_cat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
> unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo
> has
> had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
> medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a
> month
> later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had
> removed)
> and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it is
> underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be
> something
> more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
> Thanks,
> Olivia

Cat Protector
March 25th 07, 03:07 AM
My vet has said that not every cat will totally cured from UTI. Some cats
will have it throughout their lifetime and be off and on anti-biotics. My
cat Icarus has had it 3 times and is one of those cases of cats that will
have to deal with having it over his lifetime. Diet plays a big roll in this
whole thing. I have him on a great diet now (Blue Buffalo: Spa Select in
case you're interested) which has really helped him. As for the black
dandruff, do you feed your cat from ceramic bowls or hard plastic ones? I've
heard one of them has caused the black dandruff that you described.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Leo_cat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
> unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo
> has
> had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
> medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a
> month
> later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had
> removed)
> and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it is
> underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be
> something
> more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
> Thanks,
> Olivia

March 25th 07, 07:22 AM
On Mar 24, 2:15 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> the black dandruff is easy it is acne. get rid of any plastic bowl and
> use stainless steel. My spirit gets this if he eats from a plastic bowl it
> is allergic reaction to plastic
>
> If you vet can't figure it out have you or the vet called another vet to
> get a second opinion or to try a different approach
>
> also what type of diet is the furball on you may need to change to a low
> ash diet or something along that nature
>

> "Leo_cat" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
> > Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
> > unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo
> > has
> > had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
> > medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a
> > month
> > later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had
> > removed)
> > and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it is
> > underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be
> > something
> > more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
> > Thanks,
> > Olivia- Hide quoted text -

Hi All;

My two 10 yr olds just recently developed this acne. I had been using
plastic bowls for years. Now that BOTH of them have developed this
condition, I bought ceramic bowls. Can anyone tell me how long before
I can expect to see results? Can anyone suggest what I can wash their
chins with to help clear this up?

Before I realized it was caused by the plastic bowls, I thought it was
just a dirty chin on my white cat, until my vet pointed out this
condition and recommended the ceramic or stainless steel bowls. But I
forgot to ask about treating them. I checked the chin on my tuxedo
and found the same rash. I used Dial bar soap and water on a
washcloth, and rinsed well, and applied cortizone cream. They are
still scratching their chins. How can I get this cleared up as it is
starting to spread to their upper lip as well?

I feel like a bad mommy to have let this happen.

gw

Matthew
March 25th 07, 09:35 AM
it can take weeks sometimes
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 24, 2:15 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> the black dandruff is easy it is acne. get rid of any plastic bowl and
>> use stainless steel. My spirit gets this if he eats from a plastic bowl
>> it
>> is allergic reaction to plastic
>>
>> If you vet can't figure it out have you or the vet called another vet to
>> get a second opinion or to try a different approach
>>
>> also what type of diet is the furball on you may need to change to a low
>> ash diet or something along that nature
>>

>> "Leo_cat" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
>> > Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
>> > unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo
>> > has
>> > had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
>> > medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a
>> > month
>> > later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had
>> > removed)
>> > and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it
>> > is
>> > underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be
>> > something
>> > more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
>> > Thanks,
>> > Olivia- Hide quoted text -

> Hi All;
>
> My two 10 yr olds just recently developed this acne. I had been using
> plastic bowls for years. Now that BOTH of them have developed this
> condition, I bought ceramic bowls. Can anyone tell me how long before
> I can expect to see results? Can anyone suggest what I can wash their
> chins with to help clear this up?
>
> Before I realized it was caused by the plastic bowls, I thought it was
> just a dirty chin on my white cat, until my vet pointed out this
> condition and recommended the ceramic or stainless steel bowls. But I
> forgot to ask about treating them. I checked the chin on my tuxedo
> and found the same rash. I used Dial bar soap and water on a
> washcloth, and rinsed well, and applied cortizone cream. They are
> still scratching their chins. How can I get this cleared up as it is
> starting to spread to their upper lip as well?
>
> I feel like a bad mommy to have let this happen.
>
> gw

Matthew
March 25th 07, 09:42 AM
And it can reoccur My spirit gets it back if he touches anything plastic

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 24, 2:15 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> the black dandruff is easy it is acne. get rid of any plastic bowl and
>> use stainless steel. My spirit gets this if he eats from a plastic bowl
>> it
>> is allergic reaction to plastic
>>
>> If you vet can't figure it out have you or the vet called another vet to
>> get a second opinion or to try a different approach
>>
>> also what type of diet is the furball on you may need to change to a low
>> ash diet or something along that nature
>>

>> "Leo_cat" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
>> > Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
>> > unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo
>> > has
>> > had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
>> > medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a
>> > month
>> > later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had
>> > removed)
>> > and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it
>> > is
>> > underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be
>> > something
>> > more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
>> > Thanks,
>> > Olivia- Hide quoted text -

> Hi All;
>
> My two 10 yr olds just recently developed this acne. I had been using
> plastic bowls for years. Now that BOTH of them have developed this
> condition, I bought ceramic bowls. Can anyone tell me how long before
> I can expect to see results? Can anyone suggest what I can wash their
> chins with to help clear this up?
>
> Before I realized it was caused by the plastic bowls, I thought it was
> just a dirty chin on my white cat, until my vet pointed out this
> condition and recommended the ceramic or stainless steel bowls. But I
> forgot to ask about treating them. I checked the chin on my tuxedo
> and found the same rash. I used Dial bar soap and water on a
> washcloth, and rinsed well, and applied cortizone cream. They are
> still scratching their chins. How can I get this cleared up as it is
> starting to spread to their upper lip as well?
>
> I feel like a bad mommy to have let this happen.
>
> gw

blkcatgal
March 25th 07, 02:27 PM
Use a mild soap to wash their chins....something like Phisoderm (this is
what my vet recommended).

Sue

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 24, 2:15 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> the black dandruff is easy it is acne. get rid of any plastic bowl and
>> use stainless steel. My spirit gets this if he eats from a plastic bowl
>> it
>> is allergic reaction to plastic
>>
>> If you vet can't figure it out have you or the vet called another vet to
>> get a second opinion or to try a different approach
>>
>> also what type of diet is the furball on you may need to change to a low
>> ash diet or something along that nature
>>

>> "Leo_cat" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
>> > Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
>> > unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo
>> > has
>> > had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
>> > medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a
>> > month
>> > later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had
>> > removed)
>> > and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it
>> > is
>> > underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be
>> > something
>> > more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
>> > Thanks,
>> > Olivia- Hide quoted text -

> Hi All;
>
> My two 10 yr olds just recently developed this acne. I had been using
> plastic bowls for years. Now that BOTH of them have developed this
> condition, I bought ceramic bowls. Can anyone tell me how long before
> I can expect to see results? Can anyone suggest what I can wash their
> chins with to help clear this up?
>
> Before I realized it was caused by the plastic bowls, I thought it was
> just a dirty chin on my white cat, until my vet pointed out this
> condition and recommended the ceramic or stainless steel bowls. But I
> forgot to ask about treating them. I checked the chin on my tuxedo
> and found the same rash. I used Dial bar soap and water on a
> washcloth, and rinsed well, and applied cortizone cream. They are
> still scratching their chins. How can I get this cleared up as it is
> starting to spread to their upper lip as well?
>
> I feel like a bad mommy to have let this happen.
>
> gw

Rhonda
March 25th 07, 05:29 PM
Olivia, has the vet checked for crystals in the urine? Our cat had a UTI
plus crystals -- so we had to change his diet.

Rhonda

Leo_cat wrote:
> Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
> unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo has
> had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
> medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a month
> later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had removed)
> and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it is
> underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be something
> more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
> Thanks,
> Olivia

March 25th 07, 07:20 PM
On Mar 25, 5:29 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> Olivia, has the vet checked for crystals in the urine? Our cat had a UTI
> plus crystals -- so we had to change his diet.
>
> Rhonda
>

> Leo_cat wrote:
> > Heyy my names Olivia and I have a 3 year old cat named Leo. Leo is very
> > unhealthy at the moment and the vet's are trying to figure out why. Leo has
> > had a Urinary tract infection ( UTI) for a long time. No matter what
> > medicince the the vet gives him he seems perfect for a while and then a month
> > later it reoccurs. Leo has also has had kidney stones (which we had removed)
> > and black dandruff? We have no idea what the black dandruff is but it is
> > underneath his chin. Does anyone have an idea if this UTI could be something
> > more? Help would deffinatley be appreciated =].
> > Thanks,
> > Olivia- Hide quoted text -

Can anyone explain why the plastic bowls cause the acne condition at
all please?
I have been using plastic for years, but this has never happened to
us so far.

Also, should I be considering changing them over onto Metal ones just
for safety's sake?

Many thanks,