PDA

View Full Version : Why do cats lick each other?

stonej
March 25th 07, 04:22 PM
My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

sheelagh
March 25th 07, 05:06 PM
On 25 Mar, 16:22, "stonej" > wrote:
> My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
> cats do that? It is a
> sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

Funny that you should mention this, because 2 of my females do the
same thing too & I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning.

In my case, the elder female was a year old when the youngest joined
us. & It seems as though the elder one treats the younger cat as she
would her own kitten all grown up. She defends her against the males,
& stands up for her if there is ever a kick - off.
In times of pleasure they both sit in the same cat chair (designed for
one cat, not two!!), & as the elder one joins the younger one, she
licks her silly, pretend nibbles her throat, & the younger cat
reciprocates in the same fashion. Eventually, they stop and fall
asleep with one another

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BestBuddies/photo#5045893123619975410

I would be interseted to know why they do it too?
Is it because one of them has a motherly instinct?
S;o)

Running Scissors
March 25th 07, 05:13 PM
stonej wrote:

> My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
> cats do that? It is a
> sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

It serves several purposes: grooming, affection, bonding, dominance.

sheelagh
March 25th 07, 06:15 PM
On 25 Mar, 17:13, Running Scissors > wrote:
> stonej wrote:
> > My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
> > cats do that? It is a
> > sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?
>
> It serves several purposes: grooming, affection, bonding, dominance.

That makes sense.
Mine are always doing it to one another, but I would say that the
dominant cat has to be Blue-Belle, the blue point older one.
Is this also why they play bite each others throats too?
S;o)

The Cat Whisperer[_2_]
March 25th 07, 07:33 PM
My male often licks the female around her neck and ears, usually proceeded
by biting her neck repeatedly... some dominant weird behavior!

"stonej" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
> cats do that? It is a
> sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

Richard Evans
March 25th 07, 10:19 PM

>I would be interseted to know why they do it too?
>Is it because one of them has a motherly instinct?

I have five males and a female. Of the males, two engage in this
behavior. Well, one does, and the other tolerates it. Up to a point.
Rascal approaches Weasel and begins licking him about the face. Weasel
seems to enjoy it, but then starts to pull away. Rascal then wraps a
paw around Weasel's neck and forces him to endure more. Weasel objects
strenuously, wrestling match ensues.

wmarcello
March 25th 07, 11:22 PM
On Mar 25, 12:22 pm, "stonej" > wrote:
> My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
> cats do that? It is a
> sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

My cats do this as well. They are brother and sister from the same
litter. If you think about it, cats are always cleaning themselves,
but you can see how hard it is for them to clean their head or the
inside of their ears without some help.

cybercat
March 26th 07, 12:46 AM
"wmarcello" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 25, 12:22 pm, "stonej" > wrote:
>> My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
>> cats do that? It is a
>> sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?
>
> My cats do this as well. They are brother and sister from the same
> litter. If you think about it, cats are always cleaning themselves,
> but you can see how hard it is for them to clean their head or the
> inside of their ears without some help.

And grooming behavior is common among many animals.