PDA

View Full Version : Tail Injury (Deglove)

ktpie76
March 26th 07, 03:08 PM
I have a four year old cat. Yesterday I was a bad mom and left a window open.
The window shut on her tail and it was degloved. About half an inch of bone
was exposed. I took her to the vet, where they cleaned and bandaged her. They
sent her home with antibiotics. They suggested calling around to find a place
to do surgery and amputate her tail. Does anyone know: Is this something I
have to do? If I keep it clean and dry, will it heal on it's own?

John Ross Mc Master
March 26th 07, 05:07 PM
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:08:10 GMT, "ktpie76" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a four year old cat. Yesterday I was a bad mom and left a window open.
>The window shut on her tail and it was degloved. About half an inch of bone
>was exposed. I took her to the vet, where they cleaned and bandaged her. They
>sent her home with antibiotics. They suggested calling around to find a place
>to do surgery and amputate her tail. Does anyone know: Is this something I
>have to do? If I keep it clean and dry, will it heal on it's own?

My cat Beauty had to have her tail amputated. Do what the vet says.

Magic Mood JeepŠ
March 26th 07, 09:17 PM
In news:[email protected],
ktpie76 purred:
> I have a four year old cat. Yesterday I was a bad mom and left a
> window open. The window shut on her tail and it was degloved. About
> half an inch of bone was exposed. I took her to the vet, where they
> cleaned and bandaged her. They sent her home with antibiotics. They
> suggested calling around to find a place to do surgery and amputate
> her tail. Does anyone know: Is this something I have to do? If I keep
> it clean and dry, will it heal on it's own?

Without amputating the degloved portion, the exposed tissue may very well
get necrotic (die and rot), which can spread further and further up the
tail.... amputation of the exposed tissue is best - the skin will NOT grow
back over the tip of the tail. I will warn you that when they do amputate,
they may take a bit more than what was exposed - so that they can trim the
skin a bit to have 'fresh' edges, and then sew the skin closed over the
newly-made exposed "tip". Thus, her tail will seem shorter, but otherwise
like a normal tail.

Hemmaholic
March 27th 07, 08:27 AM
If the degloving happened very far upon the tailor she has to have
more than half of her tail removed (to save her life, mind you), kitty
will barely notice the difference. She will take a few days to adjust
to the new length, but, unlike humans, will not feel "handicapped" or
in any way "deformed" by the incidence. All animals, well the 4-legged
varieties, live in the moment. After the short period of adjustment
kitty will be her old self, with and up-beat new look.

Do not delay getting this done.

Rebecca