PDA

View Full Version : cellophane in cats head?

March 26th 07, 06:42 PM
We have a young, male Maine Coon mix. We got him as a stray and he is
under 1 year old. He has a weird problem we can't figure out. When we
pet the top of his head, it feels and sounds like he's got cellophane
or bubble wrap underneath. It's a little bit puffy. He's not acting
sick or in pain. We think maybe he's going through some sort of growth
spurt and his skull is reacting to it in this weird way. Just a guess.
Has anyone else encountered this strangeness with their kitty?

PawsForThought
March 26th 07, 07:45 PM
On Mar 26, 1:42 pm, wrote:
> We have a young, male Maine Coon mix. We got him as a stray and he is
> under 1 year old. He has a weird problem we can't figure out. When we
> pet the top of his head, it feels and sounds like he's got cellophane
> or bubble wrap underneath. It's a little bit puffy. He's not acting
> sick or in pain. We think maybe he's going through some sort of growth
> spurt and his skull is reacting to it in this weird way. Just a guess.
> Has anyone else encountered this strangeness with their kitty?

I would get that cat checked out by a vet right away.

cybercat
March 26th 07, 07:51 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have a young, male Maine Coon mix. We got him as a stray and he is
> under 1 year old. He has a weird problem we can't figure out. When we
> pet the top of his head, it feels and sounds like he's got cellophane
> or bubble wrap underneath. It's a little bit puffy. He's not acting
> sick or in pain. We think maybe he's going through some sort of growth
> spurt and his skull is reacting to it in this weird way. Just a guess.
> Has anyone else encountered this strangeness with their kitty?

What did the vet say when you took him in for his exam, shots, and
neutering?

March 26th 07, 09:16 PM
On Mar 26, 1:45 pm, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 1:42 pm, wrote:
>
> > We have a young, male Maine Coon mix. We got him as a stray and he is
> > under 1 year old. He has a weird problem we can't figure out. When we
> > pet the top of his head, it feels and sounds like he's got cellophane
> > or bubble wrap underneath. It's a little bit puffy. He's not acting
> > sick or in pain. We think maybe he's going through some sort of growth
> > spurt and his skull is reacting to it in this weird way. Just a guess.
> > Has anyone else encountered this strangeness with their kitty?
>
> I would get that cat checked out by a vet right away.

I think you're right. He may have been bitten by something.

bookie
March 26th 07, 10:09 PM
On 26 Mar, 21:16, wrote:
> On Mar 26, 1:45 pm, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 26, 1:42 pm, wrote:
>
> > > We have a young, male Maine Coon mix. We got him as a stray and he is
> > > under 1 year old. He has a weird problem we can't figure out. When we
> > > pet the top of his head, it feels and sounds like he's got cellophane
> > > or bubble wrap underneath. It's a little bit puffy. He's not acting
> > > sick or in pain. We think maybe he's going through some sort of growth
> > > spurt and his skull is reacting to it in this weird way. Just a guess.
> > > Has anyone else encountered this strangeness with their kitty?
>
> > I would get that cat checked out by a vet right away.
>
> I think you're right. He may have been bitten by something.

might eb an abscess or something, a swelling filled with pus which
will need to be lanced by a vet asap to allow the pus to drain out.
One of my cats had one on the side of her neck once, she had been in a
fight and I guess that the other cat had scrathed her onthe neck and
the dirt and suchlike from under the claws got into the wound and
caused an infection and this lead to the abscess as a result. If it is
this then it is pretty straightforward for the vet to deal with some
don't worry too much, especially if he isn't seemign too ill.

like the other person said it may also be a bite or a sting, and again
this will lead to a build up of pus under the skin, also requiring
lancing and draining, which only a vet should do under sterile
conditions.
best of luck with it all

any photos?
bookie

Jackapu
March 27th 07, 04:18 AM
On Mar 26, 4:09 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 26 Mar, 21:16, wrote:

> > > I would get that cat checked out by a vet right away.
>
> > I think you're right. He may have been bitten by something.
>
> might eb an abscess or something, a swelling filled with pus which
> will need to be lanced by a vet asap to allow the pus to drain out.
> One of my cats had one on the side of her neck once, she had been in a
> fight and I guess that the other cat had scrathed her onthe neck and
> the dirt and suchlike from under the claws got into the wound and
> caused an infection and this lead to the abscess as a result. If it is
> this then it is pretty straightforward for the vet to deal with some
> don't worry too much, especially if he isn't seemign too ill.
>
> like the other person said it may also be a bite or a sting, and again
> this will lead to a build up of pus under the skin, also requiring
> lancing and draining, which only a vet should do under sterile
> conditions.
> best of luck with it all
>
> any photos?
> bookie

Big kitty with the cellophane head has an appointment with his doc
tomorrow morning. I do have photos to show, but am not finding a way
to post them here. I know it can be done.....I'll keep looking. He is
too handsome not to share with everyone. :D

cybercat
March 27th 07, 05:51 AM
"Jackapu" > wrote
> Big kitty with the cellophane head has an appointment with his doc
> tomorrow morning. I do have photos to show, but am not finding a way
> to post them here. I know it can be done.....I'll keep looking. He is
> too handsome not to share with everyone. :D

Go to yahoo.com and create a free album!

Barry
March 27th 07, 05:59 AM
On Mar 26, 4:09 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
<snip>
> any photos?
> bookie

duck your ashes please, they are getting a tad long

bookie
March 27th 07, 02:00 PM
On 27 Mar, 05:59, "Barry" > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 4:09 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > any photos?
> > bookie
>
> duck your ashes please, they are getting a tad long

eh? can i have a translation please?

Jackapu
March 27th 07, 03:30 PM
On Mar 26, 1:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > We have a young, male Maine Coon mix. We got him as a stray and he is
> > under 1 year old. He has a weird problem we can't figure out. When we
> > pet the top of his head, it feels and sounds like he's got cellophane
> > or bubble wrap underneath. It's a little bit puffy. He's not acting
> > sick or in pain. We think maybe he's going through some sort of growth
> > spurt and his skull is reacting to it in this weird way. Just a guess.
> > Has anyone else encountered this strangeness with their kitty?
>
> What did the vet say when you took him in for his exam, shots, and
> neutering?

He was healthy and had no problems when he got all his shots and
neutering. But that was many moons ago. He's very playful and probably
got on his playmate's nerves. We think playmate poked him with her
claws and caused an abcess or something. We find out for sure in a bit.

Jackapu
March 27th 07, 05:02 PM
On Mar 27, 9:30 am, "Jackapu" > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 1:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > > We have a young, male Maine Coon mix. We got him as a stray and he is
> > > under 1 year old. He has a weird problem we can't figure out. When we
> > > pet the top of his head, it feels and sounds like he's got cellophane
> > > or bubble wrap underneath. It's a little bit puffy. He's not acting
> > > sick or in pain. We think maybe he's going through some sort of growth
> > > spurt and his skull is reacting to it in this weird way. Just a guess.
> > > Has anyone else encountered this strangeness with their kitty?
>
> > What did the vet say when you took him in for his exam, shots, and
> > neutering?
>
> > --
>
> He was healthy and had no problems when he got all his shots and
> neutering. But that was many moons ago. He's very playful and probably
> got on his playmate's nerves. We think playmate poked him with her
> claws and caused an abcess or something. We find out for sure in a bit.

Turns out, kitty has 'crepitus'. In his case, he's got a puncture mark
on his head which probably caused bubbles to get in between the
cartilage and bone there. The vet said to keep an eye on him and if it
doesn't start to improve after a week, to contact her. Also, if the
puncture reached his sinuses, that may have caused the air bubbles.
Either way, she said it will probably heal on it's own. No one there
had ever seen anything like this case. Weirdo kitty. Hopefully this
will help others out there that have a weirdo kitty like we do.

Jackapu
March 27th 07, 05:03 PM
On Mar 26, 11:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jackapu" > wrote
>
> > Big kitty with the cellophane head has an appointment with his doc
> > tomorrow morning. I do have photos to show, but am not finding a way
> > to post them here. I know it can be done.....I'll keep looking. He is
> > too handsome not to share with everyone. :D
>
> Go to yahoo.com and create a free album!

I think I just may. Stay tuned!

March 27th 07, 05:50 PM
In article >, says...

> "Jackapu" > wrote
> > Big kitty with the cellophane head has an appointment with his doc
> > tomorrow morning. I do have photos to show, but am not finding a way
> > to post them here. I know it can be done.....I'll keep looking. He is
> > too handsome not to share with everyone. :D
> >

> Go to yahoo.com and create a free album!

Or flickr.com, or picassa, there are so many it'll make your head spin.

cindys
March 27th 07, 06:07 PM
"Jackapu" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Turns out, kitty has 'crepitus'.

Which is a symptom, not a condition or disease. It is a medical term which
refers to a grating/crunching noise. It is often used to describe the
sound/feeling of osteoarthritis where two bones are grating against each
other.

>In his case, he's got a puncture mark
> on his head which probably caused bubbles to get in between the
> cartilage and bone there.
>The vet said to keep an eye on him and if it
> doesn't start to improve after a week, to contact her. Also, if the
> puncture reached his sinuses, that may have caused the air bubbles.

So, your kitty has crepitus was caused by air bubbles. Interesting.

> Either way, she said it will probably heal on it's own.

Which of course is wonderful mews!

>No one there
> had ever seen anything like this case. Weirdo kitty. Hopefully this
> will help others out there that have a weirdo kitty like we do.

Thank you for posting the result, and I'm glad it's not anything serious.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cybercat
March 27th 07, 06:13 PM
"Jackapu" > wrote
> Turns out, kitty has 'crepitus'. In his case, he's got a puncture mark
> on his head which probably caused bubbles to get in between the
> cartilage and bone there. The vet said to keep an eye on him and if it
> doesn't start to improve after a week, to contact her. Also, if the
> puncture reached his sinuses, that may have caused the air bubbles.
> Either way, she said it will probably heal on it's own. No one there
> had ever seen anything like this case. Weirdo kitty. Hopefully this
> will help others out there that have a weirdo kitty like we do.

Excellent information about a condition I have never heard about,
thanks for letting us know. I am really glad the vet doesn't seem to
think it will be a serious problem and hope he doesn't have any
further problems with it.

Jackapu
March 27th 07, 07:07 PM
On Mar 27, 11:03 am, "Jackapu" > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 11:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "Jackapu" > wrote
>
> > > Big kitty with the cellophane head has an appointment with his doc
> > > tomorrow morning. I do have photos to show, but am not finding a way
> > > to post them here. I know it can be done.....I'll keep looking. He is
> > > too handsome not to share with everyone. :D
>
> > Go to yahoo.com and create a free album!
>
> I think I just may. Stay tuned!

I thought Flickr sounded good, so now I can show off my aformentioned
Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

22brix
March 27th 07, 07:16 PM
"Jackapu" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 27, 11:03 am, "Jackapu" > wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 11:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> > "Jackapu" > wrote

>> > Go to yahoo.com and create a free album!
>>
>> I think I just may. Stay tuned!
>
> I thought Flickr sounded good, so now I can show off my aformentioned
> Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Beautiful kitty! Looks like he's full of personality, too!

Bonnie

mlbriggs
March 27th 07, 07:39 PM
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:07:15 -0700, Jackapu wrote:

> On Mar 27, 11:03 am, "Jackapu" > wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 11:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> > "Jackapu" > wrote

>> > Go to yahoo.com and create a free album!
>>
>> I think I just may. Stay tuned!
>
> I thought Flickr sounded good, so now I can show off my aformentioned
> Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

He certainly is handsome. No, he does not look fat. Compared to my
tabby, he looks slim. Purrs for a good checkup. MLB

1

PawsForThought
March 27th 07, 07:49 PM
On Mar 27, 12:02 pm, "Jackapu" > wrote:
> Turns out, kitty has 'crepitus'. In his case, he's got a puncture mark
> on his head which probably caused bubbles to get in between the
> cartilage and bone there.

I'm glad to hear you got him diagnosed, and hope it will clear up on
its own. Never heard of this condition before. Guess I learned
something new today!

PawsForThought
March 27th 07, 07:51 PM
On Mar 27, 2:07 pm, "Jackapu" > wrote:
> Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

What a gorgeous boy he is! :)

Jackapu
March 27th 07, 08:20 PM
On Mar 27, 2:57 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jackapu" > wrote >
>
> > I thought Flickr sounded good, so now I can show off my aformentioned
> > Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
>
> Flickr is a new one to me, looks good, I might try it.
>
> Your kitty is a beautiful boy, what a neat expression on
> his face!
>
> It is so nice to know that you are taking such good care
> of him. I can really see the playfulness in his expression,
> I can imagine the other cats might get fed up every now
> and then, hahaha!

He's sooooo used to the rave reviews, yet he can't get enough. ;-)
>^--^<
He favors my husband, which makes him a papa's boy. And, he is a
bratty little brother to my other kitty, which caused his crepitus in
the head in the first place. He'll pick on the older sister, she
fusses at him and he just looks at her like 'what's YUR problem?
Sheez! Now let's play.' He doesn't get it because he doesn't care
because he's ornery. That's why we love him. That's why everyone's
cats are so great. They each have their own magical personalities!

cybercat
March 27th 07, 08:57 PM
"Jackapu" > wrote >
> I thought Flickr sounded good, so now I can show off my aformentioned
> Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Flickr is a new one to me, looks good, I might try it.

Your kitty is a beautiful boy, what a neat expression on
his face!

It is so nice to know that you are taking such good care
of him. I can really see the playfulness in his expression,
I can imagine the other cats might get fed up every now
and then, hahaha!

Barry
March 27th 07, 11:38 PM
On Mar 27, 8:00 am, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 27 Mar, 05:59, "Barry" > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 26, 4:09 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> > > any photos?
> > > bookie
>
> > duck your ashes please, they are getting a tad long
>
> eh? can i have a translation please?

That was.. "something you might say to a smoker"
You seemed like you was smoking and talking with your eyes closed.

Must have reminded me of this little PA woman I used to know.
She would, talk with her eyes closed.. this way.. with no eye contact
she was sure not to be interrupted.. next.. she would keep smoking her
cigarette, and the ashes would get long.

We already know you don't smoke, you better not! you have to row your
boat.

Rene S.
March 28th 07, 06:22 PM
On Mar 27, 1:51 pm, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2:07 pm, "Jackapu" > wrote:
>
> > Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Wow, he's a handsome kitty! I love those photos. (And I'm glad he's
going to be ok.)

Rene

Jackapu
March 28th 07, 08:32 PM
On Mar 28, 12:22 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> On Mar 27, 1:51 pm, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 27, 2:07 pm, "Jackapu" > wrote:
>
> > > Cellophane Head Kitty. Or would that be Crepitus Head Kitty?http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
>
> Wow, he's a handsome kitty! I love those photos. (And I'm glad he's
> going to be ok.)
>
> Rene

Thanks! It looks like my handsome kitty's condition has greatly
improved already. I don't hear cellophane, bubblewrap or any type of
packing material sounds coming from his head now!

cindys
March 28th 07, 10:53 PM
"Jackapu" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 28, 12:22 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:

>> Wow, he's a handsome kitty! I love those photos. (And I'm glad he's
>> going to be ok.)
>>
>> Rene
>
> Thanks! It looks like my handsome kitty's condition has greatly
> improved already. I don't hear cellophane, bubblewrap or any type of
> packing material sounds coming from his head now!
---------
Hurray! May he continue on the road to complete recovery. I just love a
happy ending! :-) :-) :-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.