PDA

View Full Version : Cat owners please help!

March 26th 07, 08:36 PM
Hi - I need the help of a cat owner if possible. (one that has a cat
around them now would be great!) My cat had a bout with fibrosaurcoma
cancer over the past year and half that ended with a hopefulyl
curative amputation of one of her front legs. She has adapted well.

Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
small bump?

Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
"thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad. We
do have an appointment to bring her in to the vet later this week to
be sure but wanted to (hopefully) put my mind at ease by having
someone else verfiy this is actually normal.

Thanks in advance,
A concerned kitty owner

Magic Mood JeepŠ
March 26th 07, 08:50 PM
In ups.com,
purred:
> Hi - I need the help of a cat owner if possible. (one that has a cat
> around them now would be great!) My cat had a bout with fibrosaurcoma
> cancer over the past year and half that ended with a hopefulyl
> curative amputation of one of her front legs. She has adapted well.
>
> Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
> in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
> have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
> other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
> small bump?
>
> Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
> "thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad. We
> do have an appointment to bring her in to the vet later this week to
> be sure but wanted to (hopefully) put my mind at ease by having
> someone else verfiy this is actually normal.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> A concerned kitty owner

After reading your message, I felt around my desktop-kitty's (Mimi) front
legs. She has what appears to be callous like lumps about where you
describe. They are fur-covered, and move with the skin. Since Mimi doesn't
like her paws messed with, i went to check another cat (this one was
napping on the bed, and doesn't mind 'inspections' quite so much), and he
has the same.

Both cats are siblings, but not from the same litter.

ec
March 26th 07, 08:52 PM
On Mar 26, 3:50 pm, "Magic Mood JeepŠ" > wrote:
> roups.com,
> purred:
>

> > Hi - I need the help of a cat owner if possible. (one that has a cat
> > around them now would be great!) My cat had a bout with fibrosaurcoma
> > cancer over the past year and half that ended with a hopefulyl
> > curative amputation of one of her front legs. She has adapted well.
>
> > Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
> > in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
> > have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
> > other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
> > small bump?
>
> > Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
> > "thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad. We
> > do have an appointment to bring her in to the vet later this week to
> > be sure but wanted to (hopefully) put my mind at ease by having
> > someone else verfiy this is actually normal.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
> > A concerned kitty owner
>
> After reading your message, I felt around my desktop-kitty's (Mimi) front
> legs. She has what appears to be callous like lumps about where you
> describe. They are fur-covered, and move with the skin. Since Mimi doesn't
> like her paws messed with, i went to check another cat (this one was
> napping on the bed, and doesn't mind 'inspections' quite so much), and he
> has the same.
>
> Both cats are siblings, but not from the same litter.

I love you... in a friendship type way of course. That is exactly how
Dexy's bump feels.

Thanks so much for this.

cindys
March 26th 07, 08:59 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi - I need the help of a cat owner if possible. (one that has a cat
> around them now would be great!) My cat had a bout with fibrosaurcoma
> cancer over the past year and half that ended with a hopefulyl
> curative amputation of one of her front legs. She has adapted well.
>
> Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
> in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
> have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
> other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
> small bump?
>
> Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
> "thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad. We
> do have an appointment to bring her in to the vet later this week to
> be sure but wanted to (hopefully) put my mind at ease by having
> someone else verfiy this is actually normal.
-------
Sorry to hear about your kitty. My cats have "bumps" on the backs of their
forelegs about an inch above their pads. I don't know that I would
characterize the "bumps" as being in line with the thumb pads but rather
more centrally located. Is this what you're referring to? Good luck with
your kitty. Hopefully, everything will be fine. Please let us know the
outcome.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

paws2 via CatKB.com
March 26th 07, 11:54 PM
wrote:

...snipped...

>Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
>in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
>have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
>other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
>small bump?
>
>Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
>"thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad.
...snipped...

Hi,

From your description, what you feel is a whisker (vibrissa/e) pad and if you
look carefully, you will see whiskers growing out of the pad area. Many cat
people are not aware these whisker pads exist. They serve the same function
as facial whiskers in that they help cats assess the space around them as
well as locate objects or prey and assess their size.

So sorry your kitty and you had to go through the trials of fibrosarcoma, but
I am glad she has adapted well to the amputation and given her history, I
can well understand your worry about any "bump".

Hope this is helpful.

>Thanks in advance,
>A concerned kitty owner

ec
March 27th 07, 12:45 AM
On Mar 26, 6:54 pm, "paws2 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> wrote:
>
> ..snipped...
>
> >Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
> >in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
> >have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
> >other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
> >small bump?
>
> >Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
> >"thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad.
>
> ..snipped...
>
> Hi,
>
> From your description, what you feel is a whisker (vibrissa/e) pad and if you
> look carefully, you will see whiskers growing out of the pad area. Many cat
> people are not aware these whisker pads exist. They serve the same function
> as facial whiskers in that they help cats assess the space around them as
> well as locate objects or prey and assess their size.
>
> So sorry your kitty and you had to go through the trials of fibrosarcoma, but
> I am glad she has adapted well to the amputation and given her history, I
> can well understand your worry about any "bump".
>
> Hope this is helpful.

this is wonderfully helpful and yes indeed there is a whisker growing
out of it.

thanks so much to everyone for their help.

cybercat
March 27th 07, 01:13 AM
"paws2 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> wrote:
>
> ..snipped...
>
>>Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
>>in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
>>have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
>>other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
>>small bump?
>>
>>Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
>>"thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad.
> ..snipped...
>
> Hi,
>
> From your description, what you feel is a whisker (vibrissa/e) pad and if
> you
> look carefully, you will see whiskers growing out of the pad area. Many
> cat
> people are not aware these whisker pads exist. They serve the same
> function
> as facial whiskers in that they help cats assess the space around them as
> well as locate objects or prey and assess their size.
>
> So sorry your kitty and you had to go through the trials of fibrosarcoma,
> but
> I am glad she has adapted well to the amputation and given her history, I
> can well understand your worry about any "bump".
>
> Hope this is helpful.

WE HAVE A WINNER! And interesting, informative, non-boring,
non-depressing on-topic post!!

wooooo hooooooooooooo!

Thank you very much.

ec
March 29th 07, 01:35 PM
On Mar 26, 7:45 pm, "ec" > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 6:54 pm, "paws2 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > wrote:
>
> > ..snipped...
>
> > >Here's my problem, diligently observing her my wife felt a tiny bump
> > >in her other front leg. We both think that it maybe normal but we
> > >have no other leg to feel to see if the bump is symetrical to her
> > >other leg. Can someone check their cat and see if they also have this
> > >small bump?
>
> > >Its located in the back of the front leg about an inch above the
> > >"thumb" pad, but below the elbow - directly in line with thumb pad.
>
> > ..snipped...
>
> > Hi,
>
> > From your description, what you feel is a whisker (vibrissa/e) pad and if you
> > look carefully, you will see whiskers growing out of the pad area. Many cat
> > people are not aware these whisker pads exist. They serve the same function
> > as facial whiskers in that they help cats assess the space around them as
> > well as locate objects or prey and assess their size.
>
> > So sorry your kitty and you had to go through the trials of fibrosarcoma, but
> > I am glad she has adapted well to the amputation and given her history, I
> > can well understand your worry about any "bump".
>
> > Hope this is helpful.
>
> this is wonderfully helpful and yes indeed there is a whisker growing
> out of it.
>
> thanks so much to everyone for their help.- Hide quoted text -

Update:

Dexy went to the vet on Tuesday and had the bump examined by the vet.
He decided to remove it and have it biopsied just to be safe. He
doesn't think it is a problem but would rather know than guess. Since
the bump was so small he was uncertain that if he lanced it for a
sample he would have definitely have the correct answer from the
biopsy, hence the removal.

Somewhat less than the optimal results I was hoping for, as I do not
want my poor cat to go thru any more surgeries like this, albeit as
minor as this one - she has had enough trauma. She was home within a
couple of hours a little groogy, but ok with three stiches. She seems
to be getting around ok, as I had concerns because with only one
forepaw she did not have another one to favor while she recovers.

We get the results of the blood workup friday and biopsy on Monday.
After seeing the bump after removal the vet is optimistic, my wife and
I are as well but I am cautiously optimistic at this point with
anything concerning our baby cat.

Thanks again.

cindys
March 29th 07, 04:14 PM
"ec" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Update:
>
> Dexy went to the vet on Tuesday and had the bump examined by the vet.
> He decided to remove it and have it biopsied just to be safe. He
> doesn't think it is a problem but would rather know than guess. Since
> the bump was so small he was uncertain that if he lanced it for a
> sample he would have definitely have the correct answer from the
> biopsy, hence the removal.
>
> Somewhat less than the optimal results I was hoping for, as I do not
> want my poor cat to go thru any more surgeries like this, albeit as
> minor as this one - she has had enough trauma. She was home within a
> couple of hours a little groogy, but ok with three stiches. She seems
> to be getting around ok, as I had concerns because with only one
> forepaw she did not have another one to favor while she recovers.
>
> We get the results of the blood workup friday and biopsy on Monday.
> After seeing the bump after removal the vet is optimistic, my wife and
> I are as well but I am cautiously optimistic at this point with
> anything concerning our baby cat.
------------
Please keep us posted.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

ec
April 2nd 07, 06:26 PM
On Mar 29, 11:14 am, "cindys" > wrote:

> ------------
> Please keep us posted.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Got the biopsy results back - all clear!!

Thanks for your concern,

Dexy's Dad

cindys
April 2nd 07, 09:46 PM
Yes!!!! Wonderful news!! Thank you for following up.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

ups.com...