PDA

View Full Version : Recall to be Expanded to include all Dry Food

John Hart
March 30th 07, 04:57 AM
FDA Confirms Dry Pet Food Complaints; PETA Calls for Emergency Expansion
of Recall to Include Dry Products
PETA News Conference Urges Consumers to Boycott Iams Over Possible
Recall Delay and History of Cruelty to Cats and Dogs

Press Conference tomorrow 3/30/07 Link:
http://www.marke****ch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B50D6322C%2D3919%
2D430D%2D82CD%2D342A6720CC32%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk&symb=

Please check this web site out before you buy IAMS brand pet food.
http://www.iamscruelty.com/
They torture our friends and let them die all to test food.
There is much information here about the horrible things they do to our
friends.

John

John Hart
March 30th 07, 05:41 AM
In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "John Hart" > wrote in message
> > FDA Confirms Dry Pet Food Complaints; PETA Calls for Emergency Expansion
> >

> Peta routinely kills companion animals for no reason.

Well I suppose that makes it ok for IAMS in your book then.
If you want to support the animal torture with your dollars, I guess
that's your right.

Boy, what idiots on these boards. It amazes me.
The human race is like water, seeking it's lowest level.

cybercat
March 30th 07, 06:09 AM
"John Hart" > wrote in message
> FDA Confirms Dry Pet Food Complaints; PETA Calls for Emergency Expansion

Peta routinely kills companion animals for no reason.

buglady
March 30th 07, 07:51 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

The real story without the free PETA advertising.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/29/news/iam_pet_food.reut/?postversion=20070329
16

buglady
take out the dog before replying

cindys
March 30th 07, 02:05 PM
Have there actually been documented reported incidences of sick pets from
eating dry foods or is this just another example of PETA's deviousness in
attempting to promote its own agenda. I clicked onto the first link and got
the message the story was unavailable. I would never go to the second link
as PETA is nothing more than a criminal organization. As far as I'm
concerned, you can go peddle PETA elsewhere.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"John Hart" > wrote in message
> FDA Confirms Dry Pet Food Complaints; PETA Calls for Emergency Expansion
> of Recall to Include Dry Products
> PETA News Conference Urges Consumers to Boycott Iams Over Possible
> Recall Delay and History of Cruelty to Cats and Dogs
>
> Press Conference tomorrow 3/30/07 Link:
> http://www.marke****ch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B50D6322C%2D3919%
> 2D430D%2D82CD%2D342A6720CC32%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk&symb=
>
> Please check this web site out before you buy IAMS brand pet food.
> http://www.iamscruelty.com/
> They torture our friends and let them die all to test food.
> There is much information here about the horrible things they do to our
> friends.
>
> John

cindys
March 30th 07, 02:59 PM
Thank you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"buglady" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> The real story without the free PETA advertising.
> http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/29/news/iam_pet_food.reut/?postversion=20070329
> 16
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

K. A. Cannon
March 30th 07, 04:16 PM
John Hart > posted
> in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:41:49 -0500:

>In article >, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>
>> "John Hart" > wrote in message
>> > FDA Confirms Dry Pet Food Complaints; PETA Calls for Emergency Expansion
>> >

>> Peta routinely kills companion animals for no reason.
>>

>Well I suppose that makes it ok for IAMS in your book then.
>If you want to support the animal torture with your dollars, I guess
>that's your right.

PETA is a well known kook organization with ethical issues and a known
problem with it's own lack of objectivity and a clear bias.

>Boy, what idiots on these boards.

What "board"? Is this a 2X4?
This is Usenet not some stoopid web "board" or AOL "board".
You are too ****ing stoopid to know the medium you are choosing to
communicate with.

>It amazes me.

I am sure lots of things amaze you.
I'll bet you get your kicks watching paint dry.

Kindly **** off....

--
K. A. Cannon
kcannon at insurgent dot org

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia.
-Charles Schultz

#9 People ruining UseNet lits.
#6 Top Assholes on the Net lits.
#5 Most hated Usenetizens of all time

Lynne
March 30th 07, 05:10 PM
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:05:08 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> Have there actually been documented reported incidences of sick pets
> from eating dry foods

None.

> or is this just another example of PETA's
> deviousness in attempting to promote its own agenda.

Be sure of it.

--
Lynne

cindys
March 30th 07, 05:17 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:05:08 GMT, "cindys" >
> wrote:
>
>> Have there actually been documented reported incidences of sick pets
>> from eating dry foods
>
> None.
>
>> or is this just another example of PETA's
>> deviousness in attempting to promote its own agenda.
>
> Be sure of it.
--------
Just as I thought. Thank you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

CatNipped
March 30th 07, 07:21 PM
One point, though - the link to the video in the story... the veterinarian
that they interviewed on CNN is giving *BAD* advice. He is saying pet
owners should immediately switch to a good quality dry food and that pet
owners shouldn't worry about transitional problems because a cat or dog can
go as long as a week without eating as long as they have plenty of water!!!

I know we've all heard about cats who have survived for amazingly long
periods without food, but there is a real concern about a cat developing
hepatic lipidosis even after a few days without eating.

Hugs,

CatNipped

"buglady" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> The real story without the free PETA advertising.
> http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/29/news/iam_pet_food.reut/?postversion=20070329
> 16
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

CatNipped
March 30th 07, 07:25 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
> Have there actually been documented reported incidences of sick pets from
> eating dry foods or is this just another example of PETA's deviousness in
> attempting to promote its own agenda. I clicked onto the first link and
> got the message the story was unavailable. I would never go to the second
> link as PETA is nothing more than a criminal organization. As far as I'm
> concerned, you can go peddle PETA elsewhere.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

From the article on CNN.com
(http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/30/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html)

"In a news conference, FDA officials said that the apparently
melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to a company that
manufactures dry pet food, but they would not name the company."

Hugs,

CatNipped

> "John Hart" > wrote in message
>> FDA Confirms Dry Pet Food Complaints; PETA Calls for Emergency Expansion
>> of Recall to Include Dry Products
>> PETA News Conference Urges Consumers to Boycott Iams Over Possible
>> Recall Delay and History of Cruelty to Cats and Dogs
>>
>> Press Conference tomorrow 3/30/07 Link:
>> http://www.marke****ch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B50D6322C%2D3919%
>> 2D430D%2D82CD%2D342A6720CC32%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk&symb=
>>
>> Please check this web site out before you buy IAMS brand pet food.
>> http://www.iamscruelty.com/
>> They torture our friends and let them die all to test food.
>> There is much information here about the horrible things they do to our
>> friends.
>>
>> John

March 30th 07, 08:21 PM
On Mar 30, 2:25 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "cindys" > wrote in message

> "In a news conference, FDA officials said that the apparently
> melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to a company that
> manufactures dry pet food, but they would not name the company."

SOME NUTRO DOG TREATS AND BISCUITS CONTAIN WHEAT GLUTEN

MAX PUPPY DRUMSTICKS
Ingredients
Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Peanut Flour,
Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural
Vitamin E), Wheat Bran, Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Wheat
Gluten

http://www.nutroproducts.com/biscuitspuppydrumsticks.asp

Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Sticks
Ingredients
Lamb, Rice Flour, Lamb Meal, Soy Flour, Maple Syrup, Propylene Glycol,
Modified Food Starch, Wheat Gluten

http://www.nutroproducts.com/lrsticks.asp

> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>

> > "John Hart" > wrote in message
> >> FDA Confirms Dry Pet Food Complaints; PETA Calls for Emergency Expansion
> >> of Recall to Include Dry Products
> >> PETA News Conference Urges Consumers to Boycott Iams Over Possible
> >> Recall Delay and History of Cruelty to Cats and Dogs
>
> >> Press Conference tomorrow 3/30/07 Link:
> >>http://www.marke****ch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B50D6322C%2D3....
> >> 2D430D%2D82CD%2D342A6720CC32%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk&symb=
>
> >> Please check this web site out before you buy IAMS brand pet food.
> >>http://www.iamscruelty.com/
> >> They torture our friends and let them die all to test food.
> >> There is much information here about the horrible things they do to our
> >> friends.
>
> >> John- Hide quoted text -

cindys
March 30th 07, 08:31 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cindys" > wrote in message
>> Have there actually been documented reported incidences of sick pets from
>> eating dry foods or is this just another example of PETA's deviousness in
>> attempting to promote its own agenda. I clicked onto the first link and
>> got the message the story was unavailable. I would never go to the second
>> link as PETA is nothing more than a criminal organization. As far as I'm
>> concerned, you can go peddle PETA elsewhere.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> From the article on CNN.com
> (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/30/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html)
>
> "In a news conference, FDA officials said that the apparently
> melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to a company that
> manufactures dry pet food, but they would not name the company."
--------
Thank you. Many/most of the companies involved in the recall also
manufacture dry pet food, but it doesn't mean that wheat gluten is one of
the ingredients in their dry pet foods.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

CatNipped
March 30th 07, 08:43 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "cindys" > wrote in message
>>> Have there actually been documented reported incidences of sick pets
>>> from eating dry foods or is this just another example of PETA's
>>> deviousness in attempting to promote its own agenda. I clicked onto the
>>> first link and got the message the story was unavailable. I would never
>>> go to the second link as PETA is nothing more than a criminal
>>> organization. As far as I'm concerned, you can go peddle PETA elsewhere.
>>> Best regards,
>>> ---Cindy S.
>>
>> From the article on CNN.com
>> (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/30/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html)
>>
>> "In a news conference, FDA officials said that the apparently
>> melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to a company that
>> manufactures dry pet food, but they would not name the company."
> --------
> Thank you. Many/most of the companies involved in the recall also
> manufacture dry pet food, but it doesn't mean that wheat gluten is one of
> the ingredients in their dry pet foods.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Yes, but what worries me is their not naming the company where the wheat
gluten was also shipped. I thought my fur-babies were safe because their
main food is Fancy Feast "pate" style canned, but they are also free-fed a
small amount of Science Diet Senior Advanced Formula dry cat food. If the
un-named company turns out to be Hill's I'm going to be *REALLY* ****ed that
they didn't cough up that information!

Hugs,

CatNipped

March 30th 07, 08:43 PM
Partial List of Dry (Mostly Dog) Foods That Contains Wheat Gluten
http://tinyurl.com/yvp9zg
http://www.itchmo.com/read/partial-list-of-dry-mostly-dog-foods-that-contains-wheat-gluten_20070330

cindys
March 30th 07, 08:48 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cindys" > wrote in message

>>> From the article on CNN.com
>>> (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/30/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html)
>>>
>>> "In a news conference, FDA officials said that the apparently
>>> melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to a company that
>>> manufactures dry pet food, but they would not name the company."
>> --------
>> Thank you. Many/most of the companies involved in the recall also
>> manufacture dry pet food, but it doesn't mean that wheat gluten is one of
>> the ingredients in their dry pet foods.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Yes, but what worries me is their not naming the company where the wheat
> gluten was also shipped. I thought my fur-babies were safe because their
> main food is Fancy Feast "pate" style canned, but they are also free-fed a
> small amount of Science Diet Senior Advanced Formula dry cat food. If the
> un-named company turns out to be Hill's I'm going to be *REALLY* ****ed
> that they didn't cough up that information!
--------
I know what you mean. I just bought a small bag of Science Diet Senior
Advanced Formula dry cat food. I thought I was fine. Now, do I need to
worry? Does it contain wheat gluten?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lorraine
March 30th 07, 09:41 PM
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:48:43 -0400, "cindys" >
wrote:

>I know what you mean. I just bought a small bag of Science Diet Senior
>Advanced Formula dry cat food. I thought I was fine. Now, do I need to
>worry? Does it contain wheat gluten?

Go to
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=5&brand%5Fid=7
and click on the variety that you have to get an ingredients list.

We have a couple bags of a different Hills line, and neither have wheat
gluten.

L.

March 30th 07, 11:35 PM
http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_US.htm

Lynne
March 30th 07, 11:36 PM
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:21:57 GMT, wrote:

> SOME NUTRO DOG TREATS AND BISCUITS CONTAIN WHEAT GLUTEN
>
> MAX PUPPY DRUMSTICKS
> Ingredients
> Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Peanut Flour,
> Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural
> Vitamin E), Wheat Bran, Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Wheat
> Gluten
>
> http://www.nutroproducts.com/biscuitspuppydrumsticks.asp
>
> Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Sticks
> Ingredients
> Lamb, Rice Flour, Lamb Meal, Soy Flour, Maple Syrup, Propylene Glycol,
> Modified Food Starch, Wheat Gluten
>
> http://www.nutroproducts.com/lrsticks.asp

Okay, now I'm in near-panic mode. I have both of these varieties and
regularly feed them to my dog.

What are the recommendations now?? Should I have her tested since I KNOW
she's consumed this stuff?? Can anyone provide a link for me?

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 30th 07, 11:38 PM
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:48:43 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> I know what you mean. I just bought a small bag of Science Diet Senior
> Advanced Formula dry cat food. I thought I was fine. Now, do I need to
> worry? Does it contain wheat gluten?

I can no longer think rationally. I was SO hoping this was a bad rumor...

Have they DEFINITELY isolated it to the wheat gluten?

--
Lynne

March 30th 07, 11:55 PM
On Mar 30, 6:38*pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:48:43 GMT, "cindys" >
> wrote:
>
> > I know what you mean. I just bought a small bag of Science Diet Senior
> > Advanced Formuladrycatfood. I thought I was fine. Now, do I need to
> > worry? Does it contain wheat gluten?
>
> I can no longer think rationally. *I was SO hoping this was a bad rumor...
>
> Have they DEFINITELY isolated it to the wheat gluten?
>
> --
> Lynne

They don't know anything for sure. However, if it is the wheat gluten
not all of it is contaminated, just the gluten from a specific
supplier.

CNN is going to report on the recall soon.

Hills Pet Nutrition, Inc. is voluntarily recalling Single Product,
Prescription Diet™ m/d™ Feline Dry Food

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_US.htm

Lynne
March 31st 07, 12:02 AM
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:55:39 GMT, wrote:

> They don't know anything for sure. However, if it is the wheat gluten
> not all of it is contaminated, just the gluten from a specific
> supplier.
>
> CNN is going to report on the recall soon.
>
> Hills Pet Nutrition, Inc. is voluntarily recalling Single Product,
> Prescription Diet" m/d" Feline Dry Food
>
> http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_US.htm

Thank you for posting this. I needed to calm down and this helped.

I just read all the labels of all the various dog and cat treats we have,
and they ALL have wheat flour, MOST also have wheat gluten. I'm just
sick about this. My dog gets a lot of treats lately (enough that I cut
her meals in half) because we are in a serious training phase.

I have thrown them all in the trash, but I am very afraid that she might
have been ingesting melamine. It's a known carcinogen! Everyone needs
to check their labels and at the very least hold off feeding anything
suspicious until this mess is sorted out.

--
Lynne

cindys
April 1st 07, 04:51 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message
> I know what you mean. I just bought a small bag of Science Diet Senior
> Advanced Formula dry cat food. I thought I was fine. Now, do I need to
> worry? Does it contain wheat gluten?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
----------
To follow-up my own post, The Science Diet Senior Advanced Formula dry cat
food most definitely does not contain wheat gluten. My cats normally eat
Purina OM prescription cat food. I totally forgot that the reason I bought
the Science Diet Senior in the first place was for the Jewish holiday of
Passover (in case anyone is wondering, no, the animals do not have to keep
Passover - it's the humans who are not allowed to have any wheat products in
our possession other than matzoh or matzoh derivatives- and that includes
pet food). Jewish certifying agencies make available an entire list of
wheat-free pet foods for the Passover holiday. Here is the Star-K link for
wheat-free pet foods:

http://www.star-k.com/kashrus/kk-passover-petfood.htm

Best regards,
---Cindy S.