PDA

View Full Version : FDA: Plastics Chemical In Recalled Pet Food


Matthew
March 30th 07, 03:52 PM
http://www.local6.com/news/11454230/detail.html?treets=orlpn&tml=orlpn_natlbreak&ts=T&tmi=orlpn_natlbreak_1_09260203302007


RICHMOND, Va. -- Government testing of recalled pet food linked to dog and
cat deaths has found a chemical used to make plastics.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the
Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient.

Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a
fertilizer, in the urine and kidney of a sick cat.




Earlier results from a lab in New York had blamed a rodent poison for the
deaths.

PETA Wants Bigger Recall

Meanwhile, some animal rights advocates say a pet-food recall does not go
far enough.

The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called on the
government and pet food makers to expand the recall to include dry
varieties, too.

Nearly 100 brands of pet food were recalled after animals suffered kidney
failure. The recall involved "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. Some
major brands, including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba, were involved.

The Food and Drug Administration said it has no plans to suggest a wider
recall and veterinarians said they've seen no trend of dogs and cats getting
sick from eating dry food.

cindys
March 30th 07, 04:25 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
...
> http://www.local6.com/news/11454230/detail.html?treets=orlpn&tml=orlpn_natlbreak&ts=T&tmi=orlpn_natlbreak_1_09260203302007
>
>
> RICHMOND, Va. -- Government testing of recalled pet food linked to dog and
> cat deaths has found a chemical used to make plastics.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the
> Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient.
>
> Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a
> fertilizer, in the urine and kidney of a sick cat.
>
>
>
>
> Earlier results from a lab in New York had blamed a rodent poison for the
> deaths.
>
> PETA Wants Bigger Recall
-----
Yeah because they have a private agenda. In general, they are an evil and
devious organization.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.





>
> Meanwhile, some animal rights advocates say a pet-food recall does not go
> far enough.
>
> The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called on the
> government and pet food makers to expand the recall to include dry
> varieties, too.
>
> Nearly 100 brands of pet food were recalled after animals suffered kidney
> failure. The recall involved "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. Some
> major brands, including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba, were involved.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration said it has no plans to suggest a wider
> recall and veterinarians said they've seen no trend of dogs and cats
> getting
> sick from eating dry food.
>
>
>

Buddy's Mom
March 30th 07, 05:28 PM
I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
won't tell us the name of the company!

On Mar 30, 10:52?am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> http://www.local6.com/news/11454230/detail.html?treets=orlpn&tml=orlp...
>
> RICHMOND, Va. -- Government testing of recalled pet food linked to dog and
> cat deaths has found a chemical used to make plastics.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the
> Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient.
>
> Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a
> fertilizer, in the urine and kidney of a sick cat.
>
> Earlier results from a lab in New York had blamed a rodent poison for the
> deaths.
>
> PETA Wants Bigger Recall
>
> Meanwhile, some animal rights advocates say a pet-food recall does not go
> far enough.
>
> The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called on the
> government and pet food makers to expand the recall to include dry
> varieties, too.
>
> Nearly 100 brands of pet food were recalled after animals suffered kidney
> failure. The recall involved "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. Some
> major brands, including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba, were involved.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration said it has no plans to suggest a wider
> recall and veterinarians said they've seen no trend of dogs and cats getting
> sick from eating dry food.

Lynne
March 30th 07, 05:41 PM
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:28:47 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
> China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
> won't tell us the name of the company!

IMO something like this really shouldn't be posted without a link to the
source. It sounds more like a rumor and could induce hysteria.

--
Lynne

cindys
March 30th 07, 05:42 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
> China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
> won't tell us the name of the company!
----------
Where did you hear this?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

CatNipped
March 30th 07, 07:01 PM
Go to http://www.cnn.com/

Hugs,

CatNipped

"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:28:47 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
>> I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
>> China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
>> won't tell us the name of the company!
>
> IMO something like this really shouldn't be posted without a link to the
> source. It sounds more like a rumor and could induce hysteria.
>
> --
> Lynne

CatNipped
March 30th 07, 07:01 PM
Go to http://www.cnn.com/

Hugs,

CatNipped


"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
>> China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
>> won't tell us the name of the company!
> ----------
> Where did you hear this?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>

cindys
March 30th 07, 08:35 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> Go to http://www.cnn.com/
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
--------
Thank you. So, they are saying that the melamine-containing wheat gluten
might possibly have been used in the dry pet food? And they are also
working to rule out that it might be found in human food, too? This is
really scary.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

chatnoir
March 30th 07, 10:47 PM
On Mar 30, 8:52 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> http://www.local6.com/news/11454230/detail.html?treets=orlpn&tml=orlp...
>
> RICHMOND, Va. -- Government testing of recalled pet food linked to dog and
> cat deaths has found a chemical used to make plastics.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the
> Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient.
>
> Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a
> fertilizer, in the urine and kidney of a sick cat.
>
> Earlier results from a lab in New York had blamed a rodent poison for the
> deaths.
>
> PETA Wants Bigger Recall
>
> Meanwhile, some animal rights advocates say a pet-food recall does not go
> far enough.
>
> The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called on the
> government and pet food makers to expand the recall to include dry
> varieties, too.
>
> Nearly 100 brands of pet food were recalled after animals suffered kidney
> failure. The recall involved "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. Some
> major brands, including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba, were involved.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration said it has no plans to suggest a wider
> recall and veterinarians said they've seen no trend of dogs and cats getting
> sick from eating dry food.

China thought that the US wanted Pet food additives that would Kill
the pets as Pests as they do in China!

Lynne
March 30th 07, 11:30 PM
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:01:28 GMT, "CatNipped" >
wrote:

> Go to http://www.cnn.com/

I still don't see this:

on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:28:47 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
> China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
> won't tell us the name of the company!

I did, however see this:

"The FDA said it would alert the public quickly if the melamine was found
in any foods other than the recalled pet food"

from: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/30/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html

So if you can provide a specific link supporting what Buddy's Mom says,
please post it. If not, it's a rumor and IMO really careless to post since
people are already so worried.

--
Lynne

Lynne
March 30th 07, 11:32 PM
on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:30:22 GMT, Lynne >
wrote:

> So if you can provide a specific link supporting what Buddy's Mom
> says, please post it. If not, it's a rumor and IMO really careless to
> post since people are already so worried.

Well never mind. Buglady just posted this:

on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:26:50 GMT, "buglady" >
wrote:

> ......out of an abundance of caution because for 2 months they used
> the same supplier of wheat gluten. They're reformulating so no wheat
> gluten will be in food. Does NOT include canned food.
>
> http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_US.htm

Damn. This is a nightmare.

--
Lynne

MaryL
March 30th 07, 11:43 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:28:47 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
>> I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
>> China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
>> won't tell us the name of the company!
>
> IMO something like this really shouldn't be posted without a link to the
> source. It sounds more like a rumor and could induce hysteria.
>
> --
> Lynne

Here's a source for the information:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-30-pet-food-recall_N.htm

MaryL

chatnoir
March 31st 07, 01:05 AM
On Mar 30, 10:42 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...>I just heard that another company also accepted wheat gluten from the
> > China supplier and this company has the hard food involved - BUT they
> > won't tell us the name of the company!
>
> ----------
> Where did you hear this?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

It was on ABC Nightly News!

buglady
March 31st 07, 04:45 PM
"chatnoir" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It was on ABC Nightly News!
>

Forget the TV news. The ONLY people keeping up (tirelessly) with the
announcements are the sites:
www.petconnection.com
www.howl911.com
www.itchmo.com


buglady
take out the dog before replying

CatNipped
April 1st 07, 12:08 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:30:22 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
>> So if you can provide a specific link supporting what Buddy's Mom
>> says, please post it. If not, it's a rumor and IMO really careless to
>> post since people are already so worried.
>
> Well never mind. Buglady just posted this:
>
> on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:26:50 GMT, "buglady" >
> wrote:
>
>> ......out of an abundance of caution because for 2 months they used
>> the same supplier of wheat gluten. They're reformulating so no wheat
>> gluten will be in food. Does NOT include canned food.
>>
>> http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_US.htm
>
> Damn. This is a nightmare.
>
> --
> Lynne

Sorry, I'd forgotten that CNN updates their web site every few minutes.
What a pictured story soon disappears, but it should still be a link under
"Breaking News" in the middle of the page (right of the pictured story).

Hugs,

CatNipped