PDA

View Full Version : Acute Renal Failure

22brix
March 31st 07, 04:58 AM
Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with acute
renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she doesn't eat
any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her BUN is a
little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think around 8.
Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small town, none
of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle to a 24 hour
hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting fluid therapy.
I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency vet that her
prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the renal failure yet.
I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't act sick, other than a
decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is not acting depressed, she
was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult time accepting that she
very well may not survive this disease.

Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.

Bonnie

Lis
March 31st 07, 03:25 PM
On Mar 30, 11:58 pm, "22brix" > wrote:
> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with acute
> renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she doesn't eat
> any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her BUN is a
> little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think around 8.
> Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small town, none
> of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle to a 24 hour
> hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting fluid therapy.
> I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency vet that her
> prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the renal failure yet.
> I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't act sick, other than a
> decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is not acting depressed, she
> was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult time accepting that she
> very well may not survive this disease.
>
> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>
> Bonnie

My tortie, Kahlua, suffered renal failure when she was seven. She
didn't act sick, just decreased appetite and some vomiting. She was
hospitalized for about week, then came home and went on Science Diet K/
D. She didn't love it, but she did eat it, and she healthy, happy, and
a joy to be with for five or six more years. Eventually, her kidneys
failed completely, and fluids and special diet couldn't do anything
more for her, but we did have those additional years, and when the end
came for her, it was very quick and peaceful. She broke into the other
cats' food, gorged, and went to sleep. (The vet assured me that no, it
wasn't that off-diet meal that did it; she just had one really good,
tasty last meal when her kidneys were already crashing.)

What I'm trying to say, probably very clumsily, is that if your vets
think it's worthwhile to put her in the hospital to put her on fluids,
there's a very good chance she has years of happy life ahead of her.

Lis

22brix
March 31st 07, 04:15 PM
"Lis" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 30, 11:58 pm, "22brix" > wrote:
>> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with
>> acute
>> renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she doesn't eat
>> any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her BUN is a
>> little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think around 8.
>> Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small town,
>> none
>> of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle to a 24
>> hour
>> hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting fluid therapy.
>> I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency vet that her
>> prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the renal failure
>> yet.
>> I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't act sick, other than
>> decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is not acting depressed,
>> she
>> was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult time accepting that she
>> very well may not survive this disease.
>>
>> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>>
>> Bonnie
>
> My tortie, Kahlua, suffered renal failure when she was seven. She
> didn't act sick, just decreased appetite and some vomiting. She was
> hospitalized for about week, then came home and went on Science Diet K/
> D. She didn't love it, but she did eat it, and she healthy, happy, and
> a joy to be with for five or six more years. Eventually, her kidneys
> failed completely, and fluids and special diet couldn't do anything
> more for her, but we did have those additional years, and when the end
> came for her, it was very quick and peaceful. She broke into the other
> cats' food, gorged, and went to sleep. (The vet assured me that no, it
> wasn't that off-diet meal that did it; she just had one really good,
> tasty last meal when her kidneys were already crashing.)
>
> What I'm trying to say, probably very clumsily, is that if your vets
> think it's worthwhile to put her in the hospital to put her on fluids,
> there's a very good chance she has years of happy life ahead of her.
>
> Lis

Thank you for telling me about your experiences with Kahlua. I'm hoping
that is the case with Tortle. This is a new vet for me and I'm having a bit
of a time communicating with her--she talks very softly and fast and I'm not
sure I'm getting everything she says. She's been quite pessimistic, though
which is coming through loud and clear.

Did you give fluids to Kahlua after she came home? If Tortle does pull
through this we may need to give her Sub Q fluids. I hope we'll know more
today if the fluids are affecting her blood levels yet.

Thanks again for posting--I need some positive stories right now.

Bonnie

buglady
March 31st 07, 04:43 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message
> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with
acute
> renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she doesn't eat
> any of the recalled foods

..............What does she eat? You are aware Hills pulled feline dry m/d?
Does her food contain any wheat gluten? We still don't know if the unnamed
pet food companies getting loads of wheat gluten from the same company as
Menu Foods have all come clean. So far Hills m/d and Alpo have been added
since FDA announcement yesterday. One announcement came out at midnight.
Better safe than sorry - if it's got wheat gluten don't feed it.

> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.

......Done. May she spend many years with you.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Lynne
March 31st 07, 05:51 PM
on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:15:17 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> Thank you for telling me about your experiences with Kahlua. I'm
> hoping that is the case with Tortle. This is a new vet for me and I'm
> having a bit of a time communicating with her--she talks very softly
> and fast and I'm not sure I'm getting everything she says. She's been
> quite pessimistic, though which is coming through loud and clear.

Having a pessimistic vet is Not helpful. Is there another vet in the
practice you can work with, or another emergency hospital in the same
general area? If not, just grit your teeth and don't let this vet's
negative attitude affect yours. Make sure she understands that you want
to do EVERYTHING possible for your cat. Then stay on top of her
treatment.

> Did you give fluids to Kahlua after she came home? If Tortle does
> pull through this we may need to give her Sub Q fluids. I hope we'll
> know more today if the fluids are affecting her blood levels yet.
>
> Thanks again for posting--I need some positive stories right now.

I wish I had some positive stories for you, but all I can offer are some
positive, healing thoughts for you and Tortle.

--
Lynne

22brix
March 31st 07, 06:32 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "22brix" > wrote in message
>> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with
> acute
>> renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she doesn't eat
>> any of the recalled foods
>
> .............What does she eat? You are aware Hills pulled feline dry
> m/d?
> Does her food contain any wheat gluten? We still don't know if the
> unnamed
> pet food companies getting loads of wheat gluten from the same company as
> Menu Foods have all come clean. So far Hills m/d and Alpo have been
> added
> since FDA announcement yesterday. One announcement came out at midnight.
> Better safe than sorry - if it's got wheat gluten don't feed it.
>
>> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>
> .....Done. May she spend many years with you.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Thanks for responding! Tortle is very finicky--about all she'll eat is
Hill's T/D, which does not include wheat gluten--I have checked and
rechecked this! The vet feels that one of the kidneys has not been
functioning for awhile. It is smaller than the other. They did x-rays last
night but food in her bowel made it difficult to see what was happening with
the kidneys. She's thinking there are stones in her kidney(s) and is saying
that even if Tortle pulls through, she could little kidney function left.
She started talking about kidney transplants but didn't know if Tortle would
be a good candidate. She's hard to understand--out of frustration I finally
asked her if things were so bleak, was it even worth trying to treat her? I
wasn't sure if that was what she was trying to say. She immediately backed
off and started being a little more positive. I am so frustrated not to be
able to work with my own vet. I realize this is extremely serious but
Tortle just doesn't act that sick.

Thanks for listening to me vent. We're going down to see her
today--hopefully her lab values will have started responding to the fluid
therapy.

Bonnie

PS Thanks for researching and posting up-to-date news regarding the food
recall.

22brix
March 31st 07, 06:56 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:15:17 GMT, "22brix" >
> wrote:

> I wish I had some positive stories for you, but all I can offer are some
> positive, healing thoughts for you and Tortle.
>
> --
> Lynne

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Bonnie

sheelagh
March 31st 07, 07:19 PM
On 31 Mar, 04:58, "22brix" > wrote:
> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with acute
> renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she doesn't eat
> any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her BUN is a
> little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think around 8.
> Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small town, none
> of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle to a 24 hour
> hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting fluid therapy.
> I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency vet that her
> prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the renal failure yet.
> I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't act sick, other than a
> decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is not acting depressed, she
> was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult time accepting that she
> very well may not survive this disease.
>
> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>
> Bonnie

I am so so sorry to hear of Tortle's troubles. Unfortunately, I
personally can't share a healing story with you, but you might find it
helpful to read Cindy's post regarding Alex's troubles which she
posted recently.

I noticed that Phil gave her some very valuable information, that
helped her to question why this had happened to Alex. I think that you
might find it of benefit to you & it might help you find the reason
that you are looking for.

She also sought a second opinion which might be something that you
might want to consider, given the negative outlook you were given as a
prognosis in her case?

It is entirely possible that you might have to start fluid therapy for
her, but if you have a supportive vet, it will go a long way to
helping both you and Tortle too. They will explain any questions that
you might have regarding how to go about fluid therapy & how to care
for Tortle too. As Lis points out, with the care that she needs, there
should be no reason for you not to share many years to come with her.

I wish you well with Tortle and want you to know that we are sending
really soothing purs across the pond to you and both.
If I come across anything of interest, then I will forward it to
you..& if you need something explaining, try pinging Phil as he seems
very well informed regarding this issue.
Best Wishes,
Sheelagh x

MaryL
March 31st 07, 09:07 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message
> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with
> acute renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she
> doesn't eat any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her
> BUN is a little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think
> around 8. Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small
> town, none of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle
> to a 24 hour hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting
> fluid therapy. I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency
> vet that her prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the
> renal failure yet. I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't
> act sick, other than a decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is
> not acting depressed, she was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult
> time accepting that she very well may not survive this disease.
>
> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>
> Bonnie

My cat Amber (RB) had a similar diagnosis when she was 13 years old. She
was not expected to live more than a few weeks "or 3 months at most." She
developed IBD at approximately the same time. My vet put me in contact with
vets at Texas A&M and Ohio State veterinary schools, and they both spent a
great deal of time on the telephone with me. This was 24 years ago, long
before I had access to the Internet and the information it provides, and
these vets gave me a lot of help (and neither of them charged anything for
their time!). We put Amber on a prescription cat food diet, and we had to
change a number of times before we found one that she could tolerate. She
had very bad diarrhea for awhile, and she was put on a program (gradually
increasing, then plateau, then gradually decreasing to none) of prednisone
for awhile. She would need fluids every few weeks.

Well, this regimen gave us an additional *3 years* instead of the few weeks
that originally been expected. She was happy and had a good quality of life
during those years, although I had to monitor her healthy carefully and take
quick action (such as fluids or diarrhea control) as soon as I noticed early
signs of problems. I hope you can have similar results. The point is,
don't give up too quickly. My vet said that most people lose their cats
much earlier, but he also said that most people will not follow their care
so closely. You can do the same thing! Nothing is guaranteed, but it is
well worth the attempt. Moreover, that was 24 years ago, and you will
undoubtedly find better information today than I had at that time.

You can see a picture of Amber at the link below my signature, at the age of
15. She was a little angel and still had that "kittenish" look, even at
that time.

MaryL
http://tinyurl.com/a5tpn

sheelagh
March 31st 07, 10:25 PM
On 31 Mar, 21:07, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "22brix" > wrote in message

> > Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with
> > acute renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she
> > doesn't eat any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her
> > BUN is a little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think
> > around 8. Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small
> > town, none of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle
> > to a 24 hour hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting
> > fluid therapy. I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency
> > vet that her prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the
> > renal failure yet. I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't
> > act sick, other than a decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is
> > not acting depressed, she was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult
> > time accepting that she very well may not survive this disease.
>
> > Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>
> > Bonnie
>
> My cat Amber (RB) had a similar diagnosis when she was 13 years old. She
> was not expected to live more than a few weeks "or 3 months at most." She
> developed IBD at approximately the same time. My vet put me in contact with
> vets at Texas A&M and Ohio State veterinary schools, and they both spent a
> great deal of time on the telephone with me. This was 24 years ago, long
> before I had access to the Internet and the information it provides, and
> these vets gave me a lot of help (and neither of them charged anything for
> their time!). We put Amber on a prescription cat food diet, and we had to
> change a number of times before we found one that she could tolerate. She
> had very bad diarrhea for awhile, and she was put on a program (gradually
> increasing, then plateau, then gradually decreasing to none) of prednisone
> for awhile. She would need fluids every few weeks.
>
> Well, this regimen gave us an additional *3 years* instead of the few weeks
> that originally been expected. She was happy and had a good quality of life
> during those years, although I had to monitor her healthy carefully and take
> quick action (such as fluids or diarrhea control) as soon as I noticed early
> signs of problems. I hope you can have similar results. The point is,
> don't give up too quickly. My vet said that most people lose their cats
> much earlier, but he also said that most people will not follow their care
> so closely. You can do the same thing! Nothing is guaranteed, but it is
> well worth the attempt. Moreover, that was 24 years ago, and you will
> undoubtedly find better information today than I had at that time.
>
> You can see a picture of Amber at the link below my signature, at the age of
> 15. She was a little angel and still had that "kittenish" look, even at
> that time.
>
> MaryLhttp://tinyurl.com/a5tpn- Hide quoted text -

She looked Beautiful Mary. I am so pleased that you had a possitive
outcome.

It seems, reading through this thread and lots of others too, that the
attitude of the vet that you have, has a lot to do with the outcome &
prognosis of the cat?
I agree, there must be any amount of vets who would be more than
willing to help Tortle through this episode, the question is more,
which is the best to approach?
Where would you suggest that Bonnie start with?

I was frankly shocked to hear that the vet was so pessimistic
regarding Tortle. It is really sad that the vets were not very
helpful, & that Bonnie had to be pushed to the stage where she was
threatening not to treat her cat to make them change the tone of their
tune.. You would expect more from a vet that you have traveled over
one & a half hours to see wouldn't you?
If the outlook is pessimistic, then they should be forthright & say
so.. not blow hot, then cold at the suggestion that Bonnie might
decide not to treat Tortle.
In a situation like this, you need to hear exactly how it is, rather
than a half hearted wishy washy attitude regarding her cat.

It is distressing enough to know that your cat is ill, without the
added stress of not understanding what the vet has to tell you.
I'm so glad that there are people like you and Lis out there, who can
give Bonnie positive feedback, because @ times like this, it is just
the tonic that you need to hear.
Positive purrs
S;o)

MaryL
April 1st 07, 12:06 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Where would you suggest that Bonnie start with?

If I were in Bonnie's position today, I would look for another vet because
it appears that Bonnie does not have confidence in her current vet. Ask for
recommendations from friends who have had a lot of experience with cat care,
and possibly check with local groups that work with rescue. I don't know
where Bonnie is located, but I don't understand why she should have to drive
so far for fluid therapy. Any vet should be able to do that. In fact, her
vet should be able to instruct Bonnie on how to do that at home once a
course of treatment has been defined (although I opted to take my cat to the
vet for her fluid treatment -- but that was only five minutes away).

If there is a college of veterinary medicine within reasonable distance, I
would also ask for a referral to go there for an evaluation.

MaryL

Patty
April 1st 07, 12:29 AM
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:06:38 -0500, MaryL wrote:

> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Where would you suggest that Bonnie start with?
>>

> If I were in Bonnie's position today, I would look for another vet because
> it appears that Bonnie does not have confidence in her current vet. Ask for
> recommendations from friends who have had a lot of experience with cat care,
> and possibly check with local groups that work with rescue. I don't know
> where Bonnie is located, but I don't understand why she should have to drive
> so far for fluid therapy. Any vet should be able to do that. In fact, her
> vet should be able to instruct Bonnie on how to do that at home once a
> course of treatment has been defined (although I opted to take my cat to the
> vet for her fluid treatment -- but that was only five minutes away).
>
> If there is a college of veterinary medicine within reasonable distance, I
> would also ask for a referral to go there for an evaluation.
>
> MaryL

Interesting thing. Both my vets were/are not real concerned about Rusty's
very early stage renal difficulties. I also find it interesting that after
he had been first diagnosed, I fed him Hills k/d food on the recommendation
of the first vet and then, for about 4 months or so when I was dealing with
Grady's severe problems, I was only feeding him senior food. His numbers
stayed pretty much the same. So, it appeared to me, that the senior food
had pretty much the same effect on him that the special food did. Now, he
won't touch Hills k/d anymore and I've been feeding him Purina NF along
with occasional Eukanuba renal diet. I'm supposed to take him back to the
vet in May to have his numbers checked again. But, he appears to be doing
fine. He has his days when he doesn't want to eat any of the food, but
then he makes up for it the next day when he eats like a little hog. I
have to mention that Rusty has always been an outdoor cat and most of his
life pretty much ate what he caught. That's what he preferred. I told the
vet today when I went to pick up more food that I thought he needed more
variety in his diet, that he appeared to get tired of what he was being
given. She said that they're told that cats don't get tired of their food
once you find something they like, but I said that since he had such a
varied diet (everything from birds to mice) most of his life, he still
expected that and got bored with the same thing day in and day out. And, I
believe this is true, at least for Rusty. (Maybe I need to go out and catch
a mouse or two for him, at 16 he's not too fast on his feet anymore. *S*)

My current vet graduated from the most highest rated university in my state
for veterinary medicine. So, while I trust her judgment, I like that she's
open to my suggestions as well.

Patty

22brix
April 1st 07, 02:37 AM

> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Where would you suggest that Bonnie start with?
>>

> If I were in Bonnie's position today, I would look for another vet because
> it appears that Bonnie does not have confidence in her current vet. Ask
> for recommendations from friends who have had a lot of experience with cat
> care, and possibly check with local groups that work with rescue. I don't
> know where Bonnie is located, but I don't understand why she should have
> to drive so far for fluid therapy. Any vet should be able to do that. In
> fact, her vet should be able to instruct Bonnie on how to do that at home
> once a course of treatment has been defined (although I opted to take my
> cat to the vet for her fluid treatment -- but that was only five minutes
> away).
>
> If there is a college of veterinary medicine within reasonable distance, I
> would also ask for a referral to go there for an evaluation.
>
> MaryL

The vet hospital I normally go to is wonderful but they are not staffed at
night. It's a very small, rural town and it was on my vet's advice that I
was referred to the other hospital--she is on IV fluids and my vet wants her
monitored 24/7. I can give subQ fluids--in fact I'm doing that now with my
CRF kitty, Molly.

I just got back from a couple of visits with Tortle--she looks really really
good--her eyes are bright, she highly resents the IV in her leg and let me
know about it in no uncertain terms, she knocked my glasses off giving me
head butts in the face, she gave me the most heartbreaking meows when she
saw me. In other words, she doesn't look and act like a sick cat. The main
thing they tell me is that she is still not eating, but she doesn't usually
do that at the vet's anyway. I keep waiting for her to crash or something
but so far she looks good. The vet grudging admitted she was holding her
own. The next 24 hours should tell us more--to see if the blood values come
down.

The ONLY reason she's at this hospital is that they can monitor the fluid
administration 24 hours. In reading about acute renal failure, I know it is
very serious and a lot of cats don't make it and many cats are seriously
compromised afterwards. I think the vet doesn't want to give me false hope
but not to give me any hope at all . . . I'm not ready to give up on Tortle
yet. The vet seems competent, as does her staff but she doesn't communicate
well at all. She's only 8 1/2 and is such a sweetheart. I hate dealing
with a whole new vet and vet hospital with something this serious.

Thanks also for telling me about Amber--it gives me some hope Tortle can get
through this. Even if her life is shortened by this I want to do what I can
for her.

Bonnie

PS As far as a referral--if necessary I would ask for a referral to Davis
which is about 3 or 4 hours away. Basically I think she is in good hands, I
just don't like the vet.

22brix
April 1st 07, 02:40 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I wish you well with Tortle and want you to know that we are sending
> really soothing purs across the pond to you and both.
> If I come across anything of interest, then I will forward it to
> you..& if you need something explaining, try pinging Phil as he seems
> very well informed regarding this issue.
> Best Wishes,
> Sheelagh x

Thank you, Sheelagh. I truly do appreciate that. She's a very special cat
and I hate having to drive so far to see her.

Take care, Bonnie

MaryL
April 1st 07, 03:14 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> [...]
> is very serious and a lot of cats don't make it and many cats are
> seriously compromised afterwards. I think the vet doesn't want to give me
> false hope but not to give me any hope at all . . . I'm not ready to give
> up on Tortle yet. The vet seems competent, as does her staff but she
> doesn't communicate well at all. She's only 8 1/2 and is such a
> sweetheart. I hate dealing with a whole new vet and vet hospital with
> something this serious.
>
> Thanks also for telling me about Amber--it gives me some hope Tortle can
> get through this. Even if her life is shortened by this I want to do what
> I can for her.
>
> Bonnie
>
> PS As far as a referral--if necessary I would ask for a referral to Davis
> which is about 3 or 4 hours away. Basically I think she is in good hands,

Thanks for providing the additional details. Now I understand why your own
vet didn't administer fluids.

Here's some more information from my years with Amber, in case this might
apply once you get Tortle home. Every few weeks, Amber would completely
stop eating. They best way I found to stimulate her appetite was actually a
suggestion from my mother (who had learned it from her father, a farmer who
had used it himself). I would cook several pieces of chicken -- be sure
they are whole pieces, including bones and skin because the nutrients are
needed. Cover with water (I would use quite a few pieces of chicken and
would have several inches of water over the top). Bring to a boil, and then
simmer *forever* -- that is, simmer until the liquid was reduced way down.
It's the liquid you want at this time, not the chicken pieces. Remove solid
pieces and refrigerate the liquid. If you simmered long enough, you should
now have a congealed gel *full* of nutrients. Skim fat off the top. I
would then take a small amount and warm it just enough to liquify it. Use a
syringe (*without* needle, of course) and carefully force-feed. It would
only take a couple of times for that to stimulate Amber's appetite. Then I
would add small amounts of the broth to her regular food. That seemed to
work wonders. I would have to do this every few weeks throughout the 3
years I still had her with me, and it was very effective until a few weeks
before she died.

MaryL

sheelagh
April 1st 07, 03:18 AM
On 1 Apr, 02:40, "22brix" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > I wish you well with Tortle and want you to know that we are sending
> > really soothing purs across the pond to you and both.
> > If I come across anything of interest, then I will forward it to
> > you..& if you need something explaining, try pinging Phil as he seems
> > very well informed regarding this issue.
> > Best Wishes,
> > Sheelagh x
>
> Thank you, Sheelagh. I truly do appreciate that. She's a very special cat
> and I hate having to drive so far to see her.
>
> Take care, Bonnie

You too Bonnie.

I hate to think of you having to travel all that way to be with your
precious friend, yet understand what drives that need for you to be
with her.
I know it is easy for me to say, & harder for you to do, but do try &
take care of yourself. You need to be fit and strong to fight her
corner as & when you need to.
I just think it is a terrible shame that you don't have a facility
nearer to you that can accommodate you & Tortle.

Try & take Mary's advice too. She knows how things work in the USA
better than I do & having been through it, she has a better knowledge
of what to access and how to access it as well...

We are thinking of you all the time and rooting for you all.
I can understand your frustration & being parted from her must be
terrible for you. Just try to be firm and calm with those who are
caring for her, & point out your wishes & how you would like to care
for her yourself, if it is possible for you to that @ home.

Hugs,
Sheelagh x

buglady
April 1st 07, 03:31 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message
In other words, she doesn't look and act like a sick cat.
........That's great, hope she continues on the mend.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

22brix
April 1st 07, 03:55 AM

> Here's some more information from my years with Amber, in case this might
> apply once you get Tortle home. Every few weeks, Amber would completely
> stop eating. They best way I found to stimulate her appetite was actually
> a suggestion from my mother (who had learned it from her father, a farmer
> who had used it himself). I would cook several pieces of chicken -- be
> sure they are whole pieces, including bones and skin because the nutrients
> are needed. Cover with water (I would use quite a few pieces of chicken
> and would have several inches of water over the top). Bring to a boil,
> and then simmer *forever* -- that is, simmer until the liquid was reduced
> way down. It's the liquid you want at this time, not the chicken pieces.
> Remove solid pieces and refrigerate the liquid. If you simmered long
> enough, you should now have a congealed gel *full* of nutrients. Skim fat
> off the top. I would then take a small amount and warm it just enough to
> liquify it. Use a syringe (*without* needle, of course) and carefully
> force-feed. It would only take a couple of times for that to stimulate
> Amber's appetite. Then I would add small amounts of the broth to her
> regular food. That seemed to work wonders. I would have to do this every
> few weeks throughout the 3 years I still had her with me, and it was very
> effective until a few weeks before she died.
>
> MaryL

What a great suggestion! It would probably help with my CRF kitty with her
appetite as well. I'm already dealing with fluids and appetite issues with
her.

If I may ask, was Amber hospitalized initially or were you able to take care
of her at home? Did they ever figure out why she went into ARF?

Thanks for the tip--I hope I can use for Tortle.

Bonnie

MaryL
April 1st 07, 04:10 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>

>> Here's some more information from my years with Amber, in case this might
>> apply once you get Tortle home. Every few weeks, Amber would completely
>> stop eating. They best way I found to stimulate her appetite was
>> actually a suggestion from my mother (who had learned it from her father,
>> a farmer who had used it himself). I would cook several pieces of
>> chicken -- be sure they are whole pieces, including bones and skin
>> because the nutrients are needed. Cover with water (I would use quite a
>> few pieces of chicken and would have several inches of water over the
>> top). Bring to a boil, and then simmer *forever* -- that is, simmer
>> until the liquid was reduced way down. It's the liquid you want at this
>> time, not the chicken pieces. Remove solid pieces and refrigerate the
>> liquid. If you simmered long enough, you should now have a congealed gel
>> *full* of nutrients. Skim fat off the top. I would then take a small
>> amount and warm it just enough to liquify it. Use a syringe (*without*
>> needle, of course) and carefully force-feed. It would only take a couple
>> of times for that to stimulate Amber's appetite. Then I would add small
>> amounts of the broth to her regular food. That seemed to work wonders.
>> I would have to do this every few weeks throughout the 3 years I still
>> had her with me, and it was very effective until a few weeks before she
>> died.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> What a great suggestion! It would probably help with my CRF kitty with her
> appetite as well. I'm already dealing with fluids and appetite issues
> with her.
>
> If I may ask, was Amber hospitalized initially or were you able to take
> care of her at home? Did they ever figure out why she went into ARF?
>
> Thanks for the tip--I hope I can use for Tortle.
>
> Bonnie

No, Amber was not hospitalized. However, that was 24 years ago, and none of
the vet clinics in this area had 24-hour care at that time. A different
protocol might be used under similar circumstances today, and I know we
would have more testing today.

Good luck with Tortle. I hope you will have great success. I certainly
know how painful the uncertainty is.

MaryL

cindys
April 1st 07, 04:12 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message
> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with
> acute renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she
> doesn't eat any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her
> BUN is a little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think
> around 8. Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small
> town, none of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle
> to a 24 hour hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting
> fluid therapy. I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency
> vet that her prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the
> renal failure yet. I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't
> act sick, other than a decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is
> not acting depressed, she was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult
> time accepting that she very well may not survive this disease.
>
> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
-----------
Bonnie, I am turning on my computer now for the first time in over 24 hours.
I am so sorry to hear about Tortle. You and Tortle will be in my thoughts
and prayers. I don't know how things work in the feline world, but in the
human world, it is definitely possible for kidney function to return in a
person who has experienced acute renal failure. It happened to my mother
last year. I wish you a similar happy outcome.
Hugs and purrs for you and Tortle.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

22brix
April 1st 07, 06:17 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> -----------
> Bonnie, I am turning on my computer now for the first time in over 24
> hours. I am so sorry to hear about Tortle. You and Tortle will be in my
> thoughts and prayers. I don't know how things work in the feline world,
> but in the human world, it is definitely possible for kidney function to
> return in a person who has experienced acute renal failure. It happened to
> my mother last year. I wish you a similar happy outcome.
> Hugs and purrs for you and Tortle.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Cindy, It's good to hear that kidney function can be restored and I'm so
glad for your mother!

Thanks for your kind words.

Bonnie

cindys
April 1st 07, 03:16 PM

> You can see a picture of Amber at the link below my signature, at the age
> of 15. She was a little angel and still had that "kittenish" look, even
> at that time.
>
> MaryL
> http://tinyurl.com/a5tpn
--------
She was a beautiful cat, Mary. Our cats are in our hearts forever. I can't
believe that my Mackie has been gone for nearly 25 years. He died from
feline leukemia at the age of 5 years old in the days before there was a
test or a vaccine.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

MaryL
April 1st 07, 04:06 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> >
>> You can see a picture of Amber at the link below my signature, at the age
>> of 15. She was a little angel and still had that "kittenish" look, even
>> at that time.
>>
>> MaryL
>> http://tinyurl.com/a5tpn
> --------
> She was a beautiful cat, Mary. Our cats are in our hearts forever. I can't
> believe that my Mackie has been gone for nearly 25 years. He died from
> feline leukemia at the age of 5 years old in the days before there was a
> test or a vaccine.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Yes, she was beautiful, and our cats do live forever in our hearts. I
notice, though, that I managed to add 10 years to the timespan (twice in
these messages) -- that was actually 14 years ago instead of 24 years ago.
I guess I'm having more senior moments.

MaryL

MaryL
April 1st 07, 04:10 PM

> No, Amber was not hospitalized. However, that was 24 years ago, and none
> of the vet clinics in this area had 24-hour care at that time. A
> different protocol might be used under similar circumstances today, and I
> know we would have more testing today.
>
> Good luck with Tortle. I hope you will have great success. I certainly
> know how painful the uncertainty is.
>
> MaryL

Ooops! That was 14 years ago, not 24 years ago, but the statement about no
24-hour care in this area at that time was correct.

MaryL

22brix
April 2nd 07, 12:02 AM
There is good news regarding Tortle! She's not out of the woods yet but her
creatinine level dropped from over 11 to around 5. And I got to deal with
another vet who was much more encouraging. If her creatinine level stays
the same or drops even more, which is what we're looking for, she should be
able to come home Tuesday!!

She is still not eating but that very well could be due to her personality,
little nervous kitty that she is. The vet might try giving her an appetite
stimulant. She has urinated several times today--yesterday she had peed only
once, in the early am. I guess she's giving the nurses hell, she's ripped
out her IV a couple of times and although she doesn't bite she squirms so
much they're having quite a time drawing blood on her.

We still don't know exactly what happened--one kidney is definitely smaller
than the other so may have little or no function left. The other kidney is
somewhat enlarged but whether that is because the ureter might have been
blocked by a stone or if the enlarged kidney is compensating for the bum
kidney the vet isn't sure yet. There is quite a bit of concern that since
kidney stones were seen on the ultrasound, she could try to pass another one
and become obstructed. Since her urine pH is acidic the vet is concerned
she might have calcium oxalate crystals which I guess are harder to deal
with than struvite crystals. I can see that I have a lot of research to do.

The vet I dealt with today was realistic (she could definitely have kidney
problems the rest of her life and she still might not make it) but he was
better at explaining things and I feel more confidant than yesterday.
Thanks to all of you that responded--it is very definitely appreciated!

Bonnie

mlbriggs
April 2nd 07, 12:47 AM
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:58:35 -0700, 22brix wrote:

> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with acute
> renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she doesn't eat
> any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her BUN is a
> little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think around 8.
> Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small town, none
> of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle to a 24 hour
> hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting fluid therapy.
> I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency vet that her
> prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the renal failure yet.
> I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't act sick, other than a
> decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is not acting depressed, she
> was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult time accepting that she
> very well may not survive this disease.
>
> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>
> Bonnie

Sending purrs that Tortie will recover. MLB

cindys
April 2nd 07, 05:26 AM
Hurray! Hurray! You just keep that good news coming!!!! :-) :-) :-) I am so
happy for you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"22brix" > wrote in message
> There is good news regarding Tortle! She's not out of the woods yet but
> her creatinine level dropped from over 11 to around 5. And I got to deal
> with another vet who was much more encouraging. If her creatinine level
> stays the same or drops even more, which is what we're looking for, she
> should be able to come home Tuesday!!
>
> She is still not eating but that very well could be due to her
> personality, little nervous kitty that she is. The vet might try giving
> her an appetite stimulant. She has urinated several times today--yesterday
> she had peed only once, in the early am. I guess she's giving the nurses
> hell, she's ripped out her IV a couple of times and although she doesn't
> bite she squirms so much they're having quite a time drawing blood on her.
>
> We still don't know exactly what happened--one kidney is definitely
> smaller than the other so may have little or no function left. The other
> kidney is somewhat enlarged but whether that is because the ureter might
> have been blocked by a stone or if the enlarged kidney is compensating for
> the bum kidney the vet isn't sure yet. There is quite a bit of concern
> that since kidney stones were seen on the ultrasound, she could try to
> pass another one and become obstructed. Since her urine pH is acidic the
> vet is concerned she might have calcium oxalate crystals which I guess are
> harder to deal with than struvite crystals. I can see that I have a lot
> of research to do.
>
> The vet I dealt with today was realistic (she could definitely have kidney
> problems the rest of her life and she still might not make it) but he was
> better at explaining things and I feel more confidant than yesterday.
> Thanks to all of you that responded--it is very definitely appreciated!
>
> Bonnie

buglady
April 2nd 07, 12:24 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message
> There is good news regarding Tortle! She's not out of the woods yet but
her
> creatinine level dropped from over 11 to around 5

> The vet I dealt with today was realistic (she could definitely have kidney
> problems the rest of her life and she still might not make it) but he was
> better at explaining things and I feel more confidant than yesterday.

........Great! Hope it continues and you only get the "good" vet from now
on.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

sheelagh
April 2nd 07, 02:07 PM
On 2 Apr, 00:02, "22brix" > wrote:
> There is good news regarding Tortle! She's not out of the woods yet but her
> creatinine level dropped from over 11 to around 5. And I got to deal with
> another vet who was much more encouraging. If her creatinine level stays
> the same or drops even more, which is what we're looking for, she should be
> able to come home Tuesday!!
>
> She is still not eating but that very well could be due to her personality,
> little nervous kitty that she is. The vet might try giving her an appetite
> stimulant. She has urinated several times today--yesterday she had peed only
> once, in the early am. I guess she's giving the nurses hell, she's ripped
> out her IV a couple of times and although she doesn't bite she squirms so
> much they're having quite a time drawing blood on her.
>
> We still don't know exactly what happened--one kidney is definitely smaller
> than the other so may have little or no function left. The other kidney is
> somewhat enlarged but whether that is because the ureter might have been
> blocked by a stone or if the enlarged kidney is compensating for the bum
> kidney the vet isn't sure yet. There is quite a bit of concern that since
> kidney stones were seen on the ultrasound, she could try to pass another one
> and become obstructed. Since her urine pH is acidic the vet is concerned
> she might have calcium oxalate crystals which I guess are harder to deal
> with than struvite crystals. I can see that I have a lot of research to do.
>
> The vet I dealt with today was realistic (she could definitely have kidney
> problems the rest of her life and she still might not make it) but he was
> better at explaining things and I feel more confidant than yesterday.
> Thanks to all of you that responded--it is very definitely appreciated!
>
> Bonnie

Excellent bonnie. I am so pleased that you have found someone that has
a better bedside manner and clearer with their instruction &
explanation too.
I am praying for a positive outcome and will continue to watch out for
updates & news of Tortle's antics.. she certainly sounds a lot better
if she is giving them a hard time, lol
Best Wishes,
s;o)

Cat Protector
April 3rd 07, 07:30 AM
I'm so sorry that your cat is going through this. My vet said he lost a cat
which died of renal failure which he suspects was from eating one of the
affected foods.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"22brix" > wrote in message
> Tortle, my 8 1/2 year old tortoiseshell kitty has been diagnosed with
> acute renal failure. It does not appear to be related to food (she
> doesn't eat any of the recalled foods). Her creatinine is over 11 and her
> BUN is a little over 100--the phosphorus level is elevated, too--I think
> around 8. Since our regular vet doesn't have 24 hour coverage (very small
> town, none of the vet clinics here have 24 hour coverage), we drove Tortle
> to a 24 hour hospital about 1 1/2 hours away so she can start getting
> fluid therapy. I've been told, both by my regular vet and the emergency
> vet that her prognosis is guarded. We don't know what has caused the
> renal failure yet. I'm just devastated. The crazy thing is she doesn't
> act sick, other than a decreased appetite. Her eyes are bright, she is
> not acting depressed, she was purring at the vet's--I'm having a difficult
> time accepting that she very well may not survive this disease.
>
> Any healing thoughts you could send this way would be appreciated.
>
> Bonnie

22brix
April 5th 07, 05:52 AM
I got to bring Tortle home today. She is doing quite a bit better--her
creatinine level dropped to around 3 by Monday. She's eating (after several
days of not eating), urinating and defecating normally. With all the IV
fluids, she apparently passed the stone blocking her ureter.

Now I get to give her fluids sub-Q which should be interesting--she's my
hyperactive drama queen and will not tolerate this without a fight! The
vets would also like for her to be on a kidney diet but so far she's not
interested in anything canned. Her favorite food is Hills T/D--good for
her teeth but with her kidney problems, she really needs to be eating wet
food. I'm boiling chicken parts for the broth/jelly that I'm hoping will
whet her appetite!

She is at higher risk now for another blockage so hopefully I can get enough
fluids into her to keep her well hydrated. It's good to have her home,
though. After 5 hours or so of being home, she's finally relaxing some.
I'm going to get a drink-well fountain or something similar which hopefully
will encourage her to drink more.

Here are some pictures of Tortle and friends

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22brix

Bonnie

Moongal
April 5th 07, 12:50 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message
>I got to bring Tortle home today. She is doing quite a bit better--her
>creatinine level dropped to around 3 by Monday. She's eating (after
>several days of not eating), urinating and defecating normally. With all
>the IV fluids, she apparently passed the stone blocking her ureter.
>
> Now I get to give her fluids sub-Q which should be interesting--she's my
> hyperactive drama queen and will not tolerate this without a fight! The
> vets would also like for her to be on a kidney diet but so far she's not
> interested in anything canned. Her favorite food is Hills T/D--good for
> her teeth but with her kidney problems, she really needs to be eating wet
> food. I'm boiling chicken parts for the broth/jelly that I'm hoping will
> whet her appetite!
>
> She is at higher risk now for another blockage so hopefully I can get
> enough fluids into her to keep her well hydrated. It's good to have her
> home, though. After 5 hours or so of being home, she's finally relaxing
> some. I'm going to get a drink-well fountain or something similar which
> hopefully will encourage her to drink more.
>
> Here are some pictures of Tortle and friends
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22brix
>
> Bonnie

That is wonderful news! Best of luck with your girl. She's certainly
beautiful.

I hope the sub-Q's go well for you. I have to do that too, in fact I'm
warming some up in a dish of warm water right now. I think my cat has
actually started to enjoy getting them, he must realize that they help him.
I stroke his chin and he purs the whole time and is very content. It wasn't
like that the first couple of times though. Good luck!

cindys
April 5th 07, 03:01 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message
>I got to bring Tortle home today. She is doing quite a bit better--her
>creatinine level dropped to around 3 by Monday. She's eating (after
>several days of not eating), urinating and defecating normally. With all
>the IV fluids, she apparently passed the stone blocking her ureter.
>
> Now I get to give her fluids sub-Q which should be interesting--she's my
> hyperactive drama queen and will not tolerate this without a fight! The
> vets would also like for her to be on a kidney diet but so far she's not
> interested in anything canned. Her favorite food is Hills T/D--good for
> her teeth but with her kidney problems, she really needs to be eating wet
> food. I'm boiling chicken parts for the broth/jelly that I'm hoping will
> whet her appetite!
>
> She is at higher risk now for another blockage so hopefully I can get
> enough fluids into her to keep her well hydrated. It's good to have her
> home, though. After 5 hours or so of being home, she's finally relaxing
> some. I'm going to get a drink-well fountain or something similar which
> hopefully will encourage her to drink more.
>
> Here are some pictures of Tortle and friends
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22brix
------------
Hurray, hurray! Bonnie, this is such wonderful news! And FTR, it really
ticks me off that the vet started out with such a negative attitude. Humans
form and pass kidney and bladder stones all the time, and I've never heard
of a doctor giving up on a human patient because of a stone (or before
knowing why the person is in acute renal failure in the first place). But
at any rate, Tortle is hopefully as good as new. I'm so happy for you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

22brix
April 5th 07, 05:05 PM
"Moongal" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> That is wonderful news! Best of luck with your girl. She's certainly
> beautiful.

Thank you ! I think she's gorgeous, too. She has the most wonderful plush
fur, although she looks strange right now. She has a shaved foreleg, neck
area and belly.

> I hope the sub-Q's go well for you. I have to do that too, in fact I'm
> warming some up in a dish of warm water right now. I think my cat has
> actually started to enjoy getting them, he must realize that they help
> him. I stroke his chin and he purs the whole time and is very content. It
> wasn't like that the first couple of times though. Good luck!

My cat Molly is on fluids so at least I've had some experience giving them.
She has tolerated it beautifully from the beginning--purring right from the
start. She holds very still and is just an angel. And I agree--I think she
knows it will make her feel better. Tortle is a entirely a different kettle
of fish. She is squirmy, lightening fast and protests vigorously any
attempt to hold her still! Should make for an interesting evening--tonight
will be our first attempt.

Bonnie

22brix
April 5th 07, 05:16 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
> Hurray, hurray! Bonnie, this is such wonderful news! And FTR, it really
> ticks me off that the vet started out with such a negative attitude.
> Humans form and pass kidney and bladder stones all the time, and I've
> never heard of a doctor giving up on a human patient because of a stone
> (or before knowing why the person is in acute renal failure in the first
> place). But at any rate, Tortle is hopefully as good as new. I'm so happy
> for you.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

I'm thrilled to have her home! I didn't have to work with the original vet
after Saturday. The other vet was much more encouraging although Tortle
still could have some major problems ahead. As he put it, she's won the
battle but not the war, yet. I guess with cats their ureters are so tiny
it's very hard to pass the stones. They did see a few more stones in her
kidney when they did ultrasound. She might need surgery in the future but
it would be highly risky and might not help at all. My own vet was also
more positive than the original vet and she very diplomatically said she
disagreed with her.

Right now the battle is getting fluids into her and encouraging her to eat.
She ate well last night and was even interested in birthday cake (no, I
didn't give her any!) but threw up this morning. She's eaten a little but
isn't very interested in anything. The last few days have been very
traumatic for her, with a hospital stay and a long drive there and back. I
hope she settles down and we can concentrate on getting her healthy again!

Bonnie

cindys
April 5th 07, 05:57 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote in message
>> Hurray, hurray! Bonnie, this is such wonderful news! And FTR, it really
>> ticks me off that the vet started out with such a negative attitude.
>> Humans form and pass kidney and bladder stones all the time, and I've
>> never heard of a doctor giving up on a human patient because of a stone
>> (or before knowing why the person is in acute renal failure in the first
>> place). But at any rate, Tortle is hopefully as good as new. I'm so
>> happy for you.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>>

> I'm thrilled to have her home! I didn't have to work with the original
> vet after Saturday. The other vet was much more encouraging although
> Tortle still could have some major problems ahead. As he put it, she's
> won the battle but not the war, yet. I guess with cats their ureters are
> so tiny it's very hard to pass the stones. They did see a few more stones
> in her kidney when they did ultrasound. She might need surgery in the
> future but it would be highly risky and might not help at all. My own vet
> was also more positive than the original vet and she very diplomatically
> said she disagreed with her.
>
> Right now the battle is getting fluids into her and encouraging her to
> eat. She ate well last night and was even interested in birthday cake (no,
> I didn't give her any!) but threw up this morning. She's eaten a little
> but isn't very interested in anything. The last few days have been very
> traumatic for her, with a hospital stay and a long drive there and back.
> I hope she settles down and we can concentrate on getting her healthy
> again!
-------
Don't forget that 2.5 to 5 mg/day of Pepcid can work wonders for cats who
feel nauseated (from either kidney problems or gastric problems). Ask your
vet if this would be okay for Tortle, if you're not doing it already. I saw
a major change in Alex's attitude and appetite once I started him on Pepcid.
Again, this is wonderful news about Tortle!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

22brix
April 5th 07, 06:17 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "22brix" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cindys" > wrote in message
>>> Hurray, hurray! Bonnie, this is such wonderful news! And FTR, it really
>>> ticks me off that the vet started out with such a negative attitude.
>>> Humans form and pass kidney and bladder stones all the time, and I've
>>> never heard of a doctor giving up on a human patient because of a stone
>>> (or before knowing why the person is in acute renal failure in the first
>>> place). But at any rate, Tortle is hopefully as good as new. I'm so
>>> happy for you.
>>> Best regards,
>>> ---Cindy S.
>>>

>> I'm thrilled to have her home! I didn't have to work with the original
>> vet after Saturday. The other vet was much more encouraging although
>> Tortle still could have some major problems ahead. As he put it, she's
>> won the battle but not the war, yet. I guess with cats their ureters are
>> so tiny it's very hard to pass the stones. They did see a few more
>> stones in her kidney when they did ultrasound. She might need surgery
>> in the future but it would be highly risky and might not help at all. My
>> own vet was also more positive than the original vet and she very
>> diplomatically said she disagreed with her.
>>
>> Right now the battle is getting fluids into her and encouraging her to
>> eat. She ate well last night and was even interested in birthday cake
>> (no, I didn't give her any!) but threw up this morning. She's eaten a
>> little but isn't very interested in anything. The last few days have
>> been very traumatic for her, with a hospital stay and a long drive there
>> and back. I hope she settles down and we can concentrate on getting her
>> healthy again!
> -------
> Don't forget that 2.5 to 5 mg/day of Pepcid can work wonders for cats who
> feel nauseated (from either kidney problems or gastric problems). Ask your
> vet if this would be okay for Tortle, if you're not doing it already. I
> saw a major change in Alex's attitude and appetite once I started him on
> Pepcid.
> Again, this is wonderful news about Tortle!
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

We started her on some Pepcid last night! The emergency vet wants us to
give her 2.5 mg daily for 5 days. Did you see an immediate change in his
appetite or did it take a day or two? I'm a little worried about her
today--she ate a few bites of dry food but is disinterested in anything
else. They gave her appetite stimulants while in the hospital--I wonder if
she should still be on them. I'm hoping she's just resting up after her
long hospital stay. She's such an emotional little thing--it takes her a
long time to settle down even from a vet checkup. Right now she's curled up
on top of the monitor where it's nice and warm, purring. I do have a
recheck appointment at my local vet clinic tomorrow so can address some of
my questions and concerns then.

Bonnie

cindys
April 6th 07, 04:40 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message
snip

> We started her on some Pepcid last night! The emergency vet wants us to
> give her 2.5 mg daily for 5 days. Did you see an immediate change in his
> appetite or did it take a day or two?

It took several hours to see a change in Alex, maybe longer, but it was
faster than a day or two, but remember that every cat is different.

> I'm a little worried about her today--she ate a few bites of dry food but
> is disinterested in anything else. They gave her appetite stimulants
> while in the hospital--I wonder if she should still be on them.

What did they give her?

>I'm hoping she's just resting up after her long hospital stay. She's such
>an emotional little thing--it takes her a long time to settle down even
>from a vet checkup. Right now she's curled up on top of the monitor where
>it's nice and warm, purring. I do have a recheck appointment at my local
>vet clinic tomorrow so can address some of my questions and concerns then.

I hope her appetite improves soon. Please update us after tomorrow's
appointment.
Many purrs continuing to come your way.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

22brix
April 7th 07, 12:03 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> I hope her appetite improves soon. Please update us after tomorrow's
> appointment.
> Many purrs continuing to come your way.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Thanks Cindy!

She had her vet visit today. She seems in better spirits today, so far no
vomiting. The vet drew bloods--sent part of it out for more testing and did
a few tests in house. They couldn't do a creatinine "in-house" because of a
problem with that particular test but her BUN is better than it was. It is
around 50 which is still high but much better than the 100+ it was! She is
slightly anemic so hopefully as she feels better and eats more that will get
better, too. They should have more complete blood results tomorrow for me.

Overall the vet was pleased with her progress but is concerned about her
appetite. She sent me home with Cyproheptadine for appetite stimulation,
suggested giving the Pepcid twice a day (0.25 mg ea. time). For a little
bit we will be giving her 75-100 mg fluids sub-Q daily. I can see between
Molly and Tortle I'm going to have a sub-Q assembly line! We gave Tortle
some fluids last night and I was surprised that it went reasonably well--I
think we caught her off guard. My husband is very good at holding
Tortle--I'm hoping we don't have to do this very long and also would like to
give the fluids without too much emotional trauma on her part! In addition
to stimulating appetite I guess the Cyproheptadine does block histamines and
can make cats a little more mellow--it sure would help.

It's still a watch and wait game--she only has one functioning kidney left
but I'm just trying to take one day at a time. I think all the vets
involved have been surprised that she has pulled through so far; many if not
most ARF kitties don't survive. Anyway, I'm enjoying her and cherishing
every minute I have with her and hope she continues to improve!

Bonnie

She's acting a little more chipper today, purred and sat on my shoulder and
head at the vets, sweet little cherub!

cindys
April 8th 07, 03:59 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote in message
>
>> I hope her appetite improves soon. Please update us after tomorrow's
>> appointment.
>> Many purrs continuing to come your way.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>>

> Thanks Cindy!
>
> She had her vet visit today. She seems in better spirits today, so far no
> vomiting. The vet drew bloods--sent part of it out for more testing and
> did a few tests in house. They couldn't do a creatinine "in-house"
> because of a problem with that particular test but her BUN is better than
> it was. It is around 50 which is still high but much better than the 100+
> it was!

I'm so glad that things are improving.

> She is slightly anemic so hopefully as she feels better and eats more that
> will get better, too. They should have more complete blood results
> tomorrow for me.
>
> Overall the vet was pleased with her progress but is concerned about her
> appetite. She sent me home with Cyproheptadine for appetite stimulation,

Please be careful with Cyproheptadine as it has side effects. When my Molly
was alive, I also gave her cyproheptadine for an appetite stimulant. The
first time I tried it, it worked great. The second time...she was yowling.
(Yowling is one of the possible common side effects). I don't know what
causes the yowling, but I will assume it signals an upset stomach. The
yowling was so bad, I was wondering how she/we would be able to make it
through the night like that. Fortunately, the yowling stopped after a couple
of hours. This all happened very close to the end of Molly's life. For the
last year of Molly's life, she lived almost exclusively on human tuna, which
was the only thing she would eat (other than deli meat or cooked meat or
chicken). I supplemented her with Felovite II (cat vitamins) to ensure she
would get the vitamins she needed which were obviously not in the Bumble Bee
tuna, etc. With Alex, I have seen a major appetite improvement with the
Pepcid. We haven't started the subcu fluids with Alex yet. I'm not sure if
they improved Molly's appetite at all (I think they did) but by the time the
vet suggested starting them, she was very close to the end, so she actually
had subcu fluids only a couple of times before we made the decision to
euthanize.

> suggested giving the Pepcid twice a day (0.25 mg ea. time). For a little
> bit we will be giving her 75-100 mg fluids sub-Q daily. I can see between
> Molly and Tortle I'm going to have a sub-Q assembly line! We gave Tortle
> some fluids last night and I was surprised that it went reasonably well--I
> think we caught her off guard. My husband is very good at holding
> Tortle--I'm hoping we don't have to do this very long and also would like
> to give the fluids without too much emotional trauma on her part! In
> addition to stimulating appetite I guess the Cyproheptadine does block
> histamines and can make cats a little more mellow--it sure would help.
>
> It's still a watch and wait game--she only has one functioning kidney left
> but I'm just trying to take one day at a time. I think all the vets
> involved have been surprised that she has pulled through so far; many if
> not most ARF kitties don't survive. Anyway, I'm enjoying her and
> cherishing every minute I have with her and hope she continues to improve!

My mother had one of her kidneys removed in 1997 due to cancer, and she has
been living with only one kidney for 10 years and doing fine.
Purrs for continued improvement and good health for both your cats.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

22brix
April 8th 07, 06:39 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> also would like to give the fluids without too much emotional trauma on
>> her part! In addition to stimulating appetite I guess the Cyproheptadine
>> does block histamines and can make cats a little more mellow--it sure
>> would help.
>>
>> It's still a watch and wait game--she only has one functioning kidney
>> left but I'm just trying to take one day at a time. I think all the vets
>> involved have been surprised that she has pulled through so far; many if
>> not most ARF kitties don't survive. Anyway, I'm enjoying her and
>> cherishing every minute I have with her and hope she continues to
>> improve!
>
> My mother had one of her kidneys removed in 1997 due to cancer, and she
> has been living with only one kidney for 10 years and doing fine.
> Purrs for continued improvement and good health for both your cats.

Thanks, Cindy!

Tortle's appetite has definitely been stimulated--but she'll still only her
dry food voluntarily. She is still pretty subdued--I suppose that is to be
expected after such a serious illness but I still worry. . .! I'm a nervous
cat mom--what can I say!

Thanks for telling me about Molly's experiences with Cyproheptadine--scary!
I don't want to use it any longer than I have to. I'm giving Tortle 2.5 mg
pepcid twice a day for one or two more days. She hasn't thrown up since the
first morning home (Thursday). I plan to consult with my vet on Monday
again.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement!

Bonnie

Meghan Noecker
April 8th 07, 10:03 AM
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:59:02 -0400, "cindys" >
wrote:

>Please be careful with Cyproheptadine as it has side effects. When my Molly
>was alive, I also gave her cyproheptadine for an appetite stimulant. The
>first time I tried it, it worked great. The second time...she was yowling.
>(Yowling is one of the possible common side effects). I don't know what
>causes the yowling, but I will assume it signals an upset stomach. The
>yowling was so bad, I was wondering how she/we would be able to make it
>through the night like that. Fortunately, the yowling stopped after a couple
>of hours.

Kira had the same reaction, and it was the first time I gave it to
her. She was also doing worse with the anemia, so she was pacing and
yowling from the stimulant, and panting and falling off the furniture
from being weak. I was in tears all night and afraid she would die. I
spent over an hour online looking up side effects for the stimulant
and felt bettwre after finding them and Kira finally settling down. I
did not use them again with her. I did use them for Chase a few times,
and he had no problems with them. I did make sure to use it earlier in
the day though so I could call the vet if needed. And not have to
spend the night worrying. That night with Kira was horrible.

Meghan Noecker
April 8th 07, 10:05 AM
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:39:20 -0700, "22brix" >
wrote:

>Thanks for telling me about Molly's experiences with Cyproheptadine--scary!
>I don't want to use it any longer than I have to. I'm giving Tortle 2.5 mg
>pepcid twice a day for one or two more days. She hasn't thrown up since the
>first morning home (Thursday). I plan to consult with my vet on Monday
>again.

Another thing I did to help with appetite was to take a favorite
flavor of canned food, add some water, and then use a dropper to feed
some. Kira objected a little at first, but I think once she got some
of it down, then she was decided she did want some. It was helpful to
for her to get a taste of it.

sheelagh
April 8th 07, 05:55 PM
On 8 Apr, 06:39, "22brix" > wrote:
> [...]
> > Purrs for continued improvement and good health for both your cats.
> > Best regards,
> > ---Cindy S.
>
> Thanks, Cindy!
>
> Tortle'sappetite has definitely been stimulated--but she'll still only her
> dry food voluntarily. She is still pretty subdued--I suppose that is to be
> expected after such a serious illness but I still worry. . .! I'm a nervous
> cat mom--what can I say!
>
> Thanks for telling me about Molly's experiences with Cyproheptadine--scary!
> I don't want to use it any longer than I have to. I'm givingTortle2.5 mg
> pepcid twice a day for one or two more days. She hasn't thrown up since the
> first morning home (Thursday). I plan to consult with my vet on Monday
> again.
>
> Thanks for all your words of encouragement!

I am so pleased to hear that she is @ home, where she should be with
all of her feline and human slave around her. I am certain that some
of the problems that cats have are induced by simply being in
unfamiliar surroundings. That is not to say that animal hospitals are
not good, merely that a (girl)..cat likes to know her patch...

I followed your post & the idea of of broth to help feed and nourish
her as well as keeping her hydrated. A brilliant idea it was too!..

Because I don't know very much about the subject, I was reluctant to
post my thoughts, but to hell with it. The worst that can happen is
that I will make myself look silly...
( & it certainly wouldn't be the first, nor the last time, I am
sure,lol:o)

When any of my Queens looked like they needed a bit of a boost, I use
Cimmi cat powdered dry milk, for lactating Queens & Kittens. Most
cats seem to have an affinity for this milk & it is designed for cats
well being and consumption. However, I don't know if it would be
appropriate in Tortle's case, so you may have to ask.

The reason that I thought of this, is because when syringe feeding
was
mentioned, I thought of our girls. Whenever I mix formula for the
kittens, all of the queens would line up for their share of the milk
after the kittens had drunk their fill. It is wet, nourishing & she
might not protest about it, & may even enjoy it..Mine enjoyed
receiving it through a syringe & cock their heads to one side to make
sure none of it spilled out either.

I might be telling you the wrong thing though, so please do check?
It is just a thought....because they loved it so much that they didn't
want to risk the thought of loosing a drop of it...

It must be wonderful to have her home again?

I know from my own recent experiences that it can be a drain on the
soul when your cat is parted from the family. I found it such a
relief
when both Tiggy & Ringo got home. It took hours of driving to go and
see them, but @ the same token, there was no question of not going to
see how they were doing. I know I could quite easily have just called
for a very reliable update on both of them whilst they were @
surgery,
but it is not the same as burying your nose in their fur & having
nose
nuzzles with them, is it?

It's nice to hear that she is giving you nose nips, lol;o)
Lilly, our seal Birman does that too..

you have our whole hearted best wishes & soothing purrs for Tortle &
the rest of your feline family, for continued well being & playtime
in
your sleeping hours, lol;o)
May she keep up the vigorous protests for many years to come whilst
you chase her with the Subs >"o"<
S;o)

sheelagh
April 11th 07, 03:00 PM
On 8 Apr, 06:39, "22brix" > wrote:
> [...]
> > Purrs for continued improvement and good health for both your cats.
> > Best regards,
> > ---Cindy S.
>
> Thanks, Cindy!
>
> Tortle'sappetite has definitely been stimulated--but she'll still only her
> dry food voluntarily. She is still pretty subdued--I suppose that is to be
> expected after such a serious illness but I still worry. . .! I'm a nervous
> cat mom--what can I say!
>
> Thanks for telling me about Molly's experiences with Cyproheptadine--scary!
> I don't want to use it any longer than I have to. I'm givingTortle2.5 mg
> pepcid twice a day for one or two more days. She hasn't thrown up since the
> first morning home (Thursday). I plan to consult with my vet on Monday
> again.
>
> Thanks for all your words of encouragement!

Hi Bonnie,
How is Tortle doing presently?
And how are you coping too?

Hugs N Head Butts,
S;o)

22brix
April 12th 07, 06:51 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 8 Apr, 06:39, "22brix" > wrote:

>> > I'm so glad that things are improving.

>> > Please be careful with Cyproheptadine as it has side effects. When my
>> > Molly was alive, I also gave her cyproheptadine for an appetite
>> > stimulant.
>> > The first time I tried it, it worked great. The second time...she was
>> > yowling. (Yowling is one of the possible common side effects). I don't
>> > know what causes the yowling, but I will assume it signals an upset
>> > stomach. The yowling was so bad, I was wondering how she/we would be
>> > able
>> > to make it through the night like that. Fortunately, the yowling
>> > stopped
>> > after a couple of hours. This all happened very close to the end of
>> > Molly's life. For the last year of Molly's life, she lived almost
>> > exclusively on human tuna, which was the only thing she would eat
>> > (other
>> > than deli meat or cooked meat or chicken). I supplemented her with
>> > Felovite II (cat vitamins) to ensure she would get the vitamins she
>> > needed
>> > which were obviously not in the Bumble Bee tuna, etc. With Alex, I have
>> > seen a major appetite improvement with the Pepcid. We haven't started
>> > the
>> > subcu fluids with Alex yet. I'm not sure if they improved Molly's
>> > appetite
>> > at all (I think they did) but by the time the vet suggested starting
>> > them,
>> > she was very close to the end, so she actually had subcu fluids only a
>> > couple of times before we made the decision to euthanize.

>> > My mother had one of her kidneys removed in 1997 due to cancer, and she
>> > has been living with only one kidney for 10 years and doing fine.
>> > Purrs for continued improvement and good health for both your cats.
>> > Best regards,
>> > ---Cindy S.
>>
>> Thanks, Cindy!
>>
>> Tortle'sappetite has definitely been stimulated--but she'll still only
>> her
>> dry food voluntarily. She is still pretty subdued--I suppose that is to
>> be
>> expected after such a serious illness but I still worry. . .! I'm a
>> nervous
>> cat mom--what can I say!
>>
>> Thanks for telling me about Molly's experiences with
>> Cyproheptadine--scary!
>> I don't want to use it any longer than I have to. I'm givingTortle2.5 mg
>> pepcid twice a day for one or two more days. She hasn't thrown up since
>> the
>> first morning home (Thursday). I plan to consult with my vet on Monday
>> again.
>>
>> Thanks for all your words of encouragement!
>>
>> Bonnie- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Bonnie,
> How is Tortle doing presently?
> And how are you coping too?
>
> Hugs N Head Butts,
> S;o)

Hi Sheelagh,

Tortle is doing quite well, especially in the last day or two. She's on an
appetite stimulant and her appetite has definitely been stimulated! She is
more interested in food than I've ever seen her, to the point where she is
eating some dry kidney food. This is pretty amazing for Tortle--she's
normally very finicky. She wants me to sit next to her while she's eating,
she'll paw my leg, I pet her and she eats some more and then she'll paw my
leg again. She's quite needy--doesn't really want to be held but wants to
be near me. She is very crabby to my other cats--her poor bewildered
brother Hailey is quite confused when she growls at him. She's getting more
active and playful. I'm trying to give her subcutaneous fluids and
succeeding more than I'm failing but she is quite vocal about her
displeasure. She certainly is not as tolerant as Molly. I'm not always
able to get the entire 100 cc's into her. We're hoping her blood levels
will improve and that she'll eventually not need the fluids.

She's coping better than I am--Molly hasn't been doing very well and so I am
worried about her, too. The two of them love to cuddle together. Currently
they are both getting subcutaneous fluids daily. With all the medications
for them and our geriatric dog, I could stock a pharmacy!

How are Tiggy's babies? I'd love to see any new photos of them!

Bonnie

Lynne
April 12th 07, 12:06 PM
on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 05:51:12 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> Tortle is doing quite well, especially in the last day or two. She's
> on an appetite stimulant and her appetite has definitely been
> stimulated! She is more interested in food than I've ever seen her,
> to the point where she is eating some dry kidney food. This is pretty
> amazing for Tortle--she's normally very finicky. She wants me to sit
> next to her while she's eating, she'll paw my leg, I pet her and she
> eats some more and then she'll paw my leg again. She's quite
> needy--doesn't really want to be held but wants to be near me. She is
> very crabby to my other cats--her poor bewildered brother Hailey is
> quite confused when she growls at him. She's getting more active and
> playful. I'm trying to give her subcutaneous fluids and succeeding
> more than I'm failing but she is quite vocal about her displeasure.
> She certainly is not as tolerant as Molly. I'm not always able to get
> the entire 100 cc's into her. We're hoping her blood levels will
> improve and that she'll eventually not need the fluids.
>
> She's coping better than I am--Molly hasn't been doing very well and
> so I am worried about her, too. The two of them love to cuddle
> together. Currently they are both getting subcutaneous fluids daily.
> With all the medications for them and our geriatric dog, I could stock
> a pharmacy!

Bonnie, I'm very relieved to hear that Tortle is doing so well. I hope
Molly will come along, too.

--
Lynne