PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cat peeing in the bathroom

Paula Sims
April 2nd 07, 12:01 PM
Hi there,
We've had Missy for over 10 years now and she's been known to have a
temper like her "mother" (we have "mother/daughter issues"). That said,
I think she's doing the following on purpose because she's mad at us.
Here's the story.

She likes to be our alarm clock, sometimes at 3am (I get up at 4:30am).
Anyway, she always meows at "daddy" to have him get up, change the
water, and open 'smell-a-vision' (the front door). However, sometimes
she wakes us up too early and we would like to get at least 5 hours
sleep so we calmly tell her that it's too soon. Well, she gets upset,
goes to the downstairs bathroom, and instead of using the litterbox, she
urinates all over the tile floor -- just lets it rip. WHY!!! The
litter-box is just a few INCHES away (it's in the tub) and she uses it
just fine during the day, but in the morning when she's "mad", she knows
this upsets us. And when we clean it up we use special enzymatic cleaners.

Yes, we have had her checked out for urinary problems and nothing has
changed (litter, routine), she just seems to do this in the mornings.
WHY??? Is there any way to stop her? Like I said, she uses the litterbox
just fine during the day so it's not like she's avoiding it. And yes,
it's cleaned every day.

The vet suggested we use Feliway and we purchased the diffuser yesterday
so we don't know if it's kicked in yet.

Any suggestions would be great help.
Thanks

Paula

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
April 15th 07, 12:13 PM
You're doing all the right things. It's not unusual for a cat to combine her
mad half hours at dawn and dusk with a relentless piddling campaign if she
can't get out. It's frustration; they are almost overstimulated at this time
and will relieve their frustration destructively if there's no release or
distraction that simulates a predatory hunt. You could consider a catflap and
catproof fencing.

There is a good post on Understanding Animals:

http://www.understandinganimals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5114.0

I'd purchase the Feliway spray as well as the diffuser as the diffuser can
take up to a month to work.