PDA

View Full Version : Cat Food Opportunists

cybercat
April 2nd 07, 01:09 PM
In a day, Fancy Feast went from 49 cents a can to 55 cents a can at my local
Kroger. Gee I wonder why?

Petfooddirect.com has the wheat gluten free varieties (as well as all the
others) on sale right now for $11.99 for 24 cans, so I'm ordering a bunch.
With coupons, most of the shipping cost is absorbed.

(As an aside--one really nice thing about this site is the fact that they
have the ingredients of each variety posted nice and big where you can
easily check them out. They are located in PA, so shipping might be high if
you are located too far from there ...)

Kittie Kat
April 2nd 07, 05:32 PM
On Apr 2, 7:09 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> In a day, Fancy Feast went from 49 cents a can to 55 cents a can at my local
> Kroger. Gee I wonder why?
>
> Petfooddirect.com has the wheat gluten free varieties (as well as all the
> others) on sale right now for $11.99 for 24 cans, so I'm ordering a bunch.
> With coupons, most of the shipping cost is absorbed.
>
> (As an aside--one really nice thing about this site is the fact that they
> have the ingredients of each variety posted nice and big where you can
> easily check them out. They are located in PA, so shipping might be high if
> you are located too far from there ...)

If you're near a PetSmart, Fancy Feast (including Elegant Medleys) is
on sale through the end of April for 36 cents a can....with your
PetPerks card. Purina ProPlan is 33 cents for the small cans.

It almost looked like a fire sale when I finally got the courage up to
go buy some cat food. I don't know if it was coincidence or they're
trying to make some sales, but the timing was interesting.

Rhonda
April 5th 07, 07:19 AM
Well, but the price of bird food is skyrocketing too. I'm sure the food
scare has a lot to do with it but the price of gas is driving everything
up in general.

Rhonda

cybercat wrote:
> In a day, Fancy Feast went from 49 cents a can to 55 cents a can at my local
> Kroger. Gee I wonder why?
>
> Petfooddirect.com has the wheat gluten free varieties (as well as all the
> others) on sale right now for $11.99 for 24 cans, so I'm ordering a bunch.
> With coupons, most of the shipping cost is absorbed.
>
> (As an aside--one really nice thing about this site is the fact that they
> have the ingredients of each variety posted nice and big where you can
> easily check them out. They are located in PA, so shipping might be high if
> you are located too far from there ...)

Meghan Noecker
April 5th 07, 07:32 AM

>cybercat wrote:
>> In a day, Fancy Feast went from 49 cents a can to 55 cents a can at my local
>> Kroger. Gee I wonder why?

I was well stocked at the time, so I don't know when the price change
hit. But Safeway went from 50 cents a can to 59 cents. Walmart is
still 44 cents a can.

I didn't look at any prices for other foods. That is the only one I
buy at either of those stores.

cybercat
April 5th 07, 05:25 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Well, but the price of bird food is skyrocketing too. I'm sure the food
> scare has a lot to do with it but the price of gas is driving everything
> up in general.

Well, gas has gone up before and the price of FF at Kroger didn't. Or at
Food
Lion or Lowe's Foods. Harris Teeter has been charging SIXTY CENTS a can
for years, so they have not gone up recently, probably for fear of going
straight
to hell for being that greedy.

I am just happy I could stock up through PFD at fifty cents a can. FF is
pretty
good grocery store food, but after all, it is not among the Cat Food Elite
like
Wellness and others that contain organic blueberrys and have been blessed
by rabbi's and such. ;)

cybercat
April 5th 07, 05:27 PM
"Meghan Noecker" > wrote
> Walmart is
> still 44 cents a can.

Hope that's still true around here. I used to buy it there when I made
my monthly cleaning supplies and toiletry run, but the last time they
did not have any of the ones my cats like, just a few single flavors
and the variety packs.

Sherry
April 5th 07, 10:34 PM
On Apr 5, 11:25 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message

> > Well, but the price of bird food is skyrocketing too. I'm sure the food
> > scare has a lot to do with it but the price of gas is driving everything
> > up in general.
>
> Well, gas has gone up before and the price of FF at Kroger didn't. Or at
> Food
> Lion or Lowe's Foods. Harris Teeter has been charging SIXTY CENTS a can
> for years, so they have not gone up recently, probably for fear of going
> straight
> to hell for being that greedy.
>
> I am just happy I could stock up through PFD at fifty cents a can. FF is
> pretty
> good grocery store food, but after all, it is not among the Cat Food Elite
> like
> Wellness and others that contain organic blueberrys and have been blessed
> by rabbi's and such. ;)

Yeah, and don't forget sweet potatoes and cranberries. Cats ask for
those by name.

Sherry

Cheryl
April 6th 07, 12:21 AM
On Thu 05 Apr 2007 05:34:55p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> On Apr 5, 11:25 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Rhonda" > wrote in message

>> > Well, but the price of bird food is skyrocketing too. I'm
>> > sure the food scare has a lot to do with it but the price of
>> > gas is driving everything up in general.
>>
>> Well, gas has gone up before and the price of FF at Kroger
>> didn't. Or at Food
>> Lion or Lowe's Foods. Harris Teeter has been charging SIXTY
>> CENTS a can for years, so they have not gone up recently,
>> probably for fear of going straight
>> to hell for being that greedy.

At my regular grocery store the regular price is ~ 3/$2, and
sometimes 2/99, and when I'm lucky (rarely) I can catch it on sale
@ 10/$4. PetSmart with a wider variety @ around 45 - 50 each, but
more often closer to the grocery store regular price.

>> I am just happy I could stock up through PFD at fifty cents a
>> can. FF is pretty
>> good grocery store food, but after all, it is not among the Cat
>> Food Elite like
>> Wellness and others that contain organic blueberrys and have
>> been blessed by rabbi's and such. ;)
>
> Yeah, and don't forget sweet potatoes and cranberries. Cats ask
> for those by name.

Now, I'm a fan of Wellness, but there's a thread going on elsewhere
talking about the garlic content. I read that they're going to
remove garlic, as it was only added to make the food more
palatable. Cats don't need garlic, and I don't think they know for
sure how much is too much. I'll feel better if they remove it.

--
Cheryl

Meghan Noecker
April 6th 07, 08:03 AM
On 5 Apr 2007 23:21:05 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>Now, I'm a fan of Wellness, but there's a thread going on elsewhere
>talking about the garlic content. I read that they're going to
>remove garlic, as it was only added to make the food more
>palatable. Cats don't need garlic, and I don't think they know for
>sure how much is too much. I'll feel better if they remove it.

My cat loved garlic. I only gave her treats with it sometimes, but I
didn't know it could lead to anemia, which is what Kira fought almost
the whole year last year before dying in October. It was only later
that I learned about the connection between garlic and anemia.

After learning that, I would not feed anything with garlic in it. Some
cats are probably more suceptible than others, but I wouldn't want to
risk it.

buglady
April 6th 07, 01:53 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> At my regular grocery store the regular price is ~ 3/$2, and
> sometimes 2/99, and when I'm lucky (rarely) I can catch it on sale
> @ 10/$4. PetSmart with a wider variety @ around 45 - 50 each, but
> more often closer to the grocery store regular price.

......Try K-Mart - ours has a few flavors and now they're the cheapest in
town. If you live anywhere in the South, Publix has an occasional 10 for 4
bucks on FF.

buglady
take out the dog before replying