PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Feast--Wheat Gluten Free Varieties

cybercat
April 2nd 07, 01:44 PM
Tender Beef Feast
Beef and Chicken Feast
Flaked Fish and Shrimp Feast
Flaked Ocean Fish Feast
Gourmet Chicken Feast
Cod, Sole and Shrimp Feast
Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast
Savory Salmon Feast
Seafood Feast
Tender Liver and Chicken Feast
Turkey and Giblets Feast

*Chopped Grill Feast (but the first ingredient is byproducts, unlike the
above)
*Beef and Liver feast, ditto

These are just the flavors listed at PetFoodDirect.com, and just the ones
that have the ingredients listed. If the ingredients of a certain flavor
were left out, I left the flavor out. It seems like most of the "grilled"
varieties and other "saucy" varieties have wheat gluten, sometimes as a
SECOND ingredient.

Because my cat seems to be allergic to wheat (though corn does not bother
her) I have always bought the brands of FF without wheat gluten.

cindys
April 2nd 07, 01:56 PM
Thank you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Tender Beef Feast
> Beef and Chicken Feast
> Flaked Fish and Shrimp Feast
> Flaked Ocean Fish Feast
> Gourmet Chicken Feast
> Cod, Sole and Shrimp Feast
> Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast
> Savory Salmon Feast
> Seafood Feast
> Tender Liver and Chicken Feast
> Turkey and Giblets Feast
>

> *Chopped Grill Feast (but the first ingredient is byproducts, unlike the
> above)
> *Beef and Liver feast, ditto
>
> These are just the flavors listed at PetFoodDirect.com, and just the ones
> that have the ingredients listed. If the ingredients of a certain flavor
> were left out, I left the flavor out. It seems like most of the "grilled"
> varieties and other "saucy" varieties have wheat gluten, sometimes as a
> SECOND ingredient.
>
> Because my cat seems to be allergic to wheat (though corn does not bother
> her) I have always bought the brands of FF without wheat gluten.

cybercat
April 2nd 07, 02:00 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
> Thank you.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

You're welcome. If you go to petfooddirect.com and enter the free
sweepstakes for free cat food for the year, they send you a 13% off coupon
right away, and that essentially takes care of the shipping! It's a great
deal. Right now, the 24-packs of FF are $3 off at $11.99. Then 13% off on
top of that, and you don't have to use any gas. Not bad. When I saw the cat
food sections at the groceries yesterday, I felt I should get some safe food
for my girls asap, if only just to feel better.

You know how we women are, always thinking with our emotions, hahaha

svu geek
April 2nd 07, 02:46 PM
cybercat wrote:
> Tender Beef Feast
> Beef and Chicken Feast
> Flaked Fish and Shrimp Feast
> Flaked Ocean Fish Feast
> Gourmet Chicken Feast
> Cod, Sole and Shrimp Feast
> Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast
> Savory Salmon Feast
> Seafood Feast
> Tender Liver and Chicken Feast
> Turkey and Giblets Feast
>

> *Chopped Grill Feast (but the first ingredient is byproducts, unlike the
> above)
> *Beef and Liver feast, ditto
>
> These are just the flavors listed at PetFoodDirect.com, and just the ones
> that have the ingredients listed. If the ingredients of a certain flavor
> were left out, I left the flavor out. It seems like most of the "grilled"
> varieties and other "saucy" varieties have wheat gluten, sometimes as a
> SECOND ingredient.
>
> Because my cat seems to be allergic to wheat (though corn does not bother
> her) I have always bought the brands of FF without wheat gluten.

I would be careful with checking the ingredients on PetFoodDirect.com.
I checked their site last night and some of the ingredients they
listed were out-of-date. Compare the ingredients listed on their site
with what's on your bag or cans of food at home. The Purina One
Chicken & Rice they list is out-of-date. They haven't updated their
site since Purina changed the ingredients about one year ago.

I'm not saying their website is bad. I'm just saying some of it is out-
of-date and maybe you shouldn't go by what you see there.

cybercat
April 2nd 07, 04:51 PM
"svu geek" > wrote

> I'm not saying their website is bad. I'm just saying some of it is out-
> of-date and maybe you shouldn't go by what you see there.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Lynne
April 2nd 07, 05:32 PM
on Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:44:58 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> These are just the flavors listed at PetFoodDirect.com, and just the
> ones that have the ingredients listed. If the ingredients of a certain
> flavor were left out, I left the flavor out. It seems like most of the
> "grilled" varieties and other "saucy" varieties have wheat gluten,
> sometimes as a SECOND ingredient.

Thanks for posting this, Cybercat. I've started buying FF for my boys,
though Rudy is Not Happy about it. He could stand to lose about 40% of his
body weight, though, so I'm okay with that. I think he's eating Levi's
share of the Evo dry, but I haven't been able to stop him (and neither has
Levi). *sigh*

--
Lynne

Cat Protector
April 3rd 07, 07:40 AM
With or without wheat gluten, Fancy Feast is nothing but crap. Getting cats
on a healthy diet is really important. My cats vet says that he sees more
overweight issues with patients than anything else. Also the cheaper the
food there is more the possibility of a cat getting crystals in the urinary
tract.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Tender Beef Feast
> Beef and Chicken Feast
> Flaked Fish and Shrimp Feast
> Flaked Ocean Fish Feast
> Gourmet Chicken Feast
> Cod, Sole and Shrimp Feast
> Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast
> Savory Salmon Feast
> Seafood Feast
> Tender Liver and Chicken Feast
> Turkey and Giblets Feast
>

> *Chopped Grill Feast (but the first ingredient is byproducts, unlike the
> above)
> *Beef and Liver feast, ditto
>
> These are just the flavors listed at PetFoodDirect.com, and just the ones
> that have the ingredients listed. If the ingredients of a certain flavor
> were left out, I left the flavor out. It seems like most of the "grilled"
> varieties and other "saucy" varieties have wheat gluten, sometimes as a
> SECOND ingredient.
>
> Because my cat seems to be allergic to wheat (though corn does not bother
> her) I have always bought the brands of FF without wheat gluten.

Sherry
April 3rd 07, 03:56 PM
On Apr 2, 7:44 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Tender Beef Feast
> Beef and Chicken Feast
> Flaked Fish and Shrimp Feast
> Flaked Ocean Fish Feast
> Gourmet Chicken Feast
> Cod, Sole and Shrimp Feast
> Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast
> Savory Salmon Feast
> Seafood Feast
> Tender Liver and Chicken Feast
> Turkey and Giblets Feast
>
> *Chopped Grill Feast (but the first ingredient is byproducts, unlike the
> above)
> *Beef and Liver feast, ditto
>
> These are just the flavors listed at PetFoodDirect.com, and just the ones
> that have the ingredients listed. If the ingredients of a certain flavor
> were left out, I left the flavor out. It seems like most of the "grilled"
> varieties and other "saucy" varieties have wheat gluten, sometimes as a
> SECOND ingredient.
>
> Because my cat seems to be allergic to wheat (though corn does not bother
> her) I have always bought the brands of FF without wheat gluten.

Thanks. Our favorite FF varieties are Shrimp and Salmon Feast, and
the mushy "Gourmet Chicken". I don't see S&S Feast on there. I just
hate this, worrying about it. They never did like the chunks 'n gravy
kinds.

Sherry
April 3rd 07, 04:21 PM
On Apr 3, 1:40 am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> With or without wheat gluten, Fancy Feast is nothing but crap. Getting cats
> on a healthy diet is really important. My cats vet says that he sees more
> overweight issues with patients than anything else. Also the cheaper the
> food there is more the possibility of a cat getting crystals in the urinary
> tract.
>
> --
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.co

I'd be interested in some research re: relative proporation of urinary
crystals/overweight WRT cats fed Fancy Feast, versus cats fed a
strictly dry diet, no matter how high the quality of the dry food. Is
this the same vet who told you Friskies was fine, and provided a
sound, nutritional diet for any cat?
Sherry

cybercat
April 3rd 07, 07:06 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 3, 1:40 am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
>> With or without wheat gluten, Fancy Feast is nothing but crap. Getting
>> cats
>> on a healthy diet is really important. My cats vet says that he sees more
>> overweight issues with patients than anything else. Also the cheaper the
>> food there is more the possibility of a cat getting crystals in the
>> urinary
>> tract.
>>
>> --
>> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.co
>
> I'd be interested in some research re: relative proporation of urinary
> crystals/overweight WRT cats fed Fancy Feast, versus cats fed a
> strictly dry diet, no matter how high the quality of the dry food. Is
> this the same vet who told you Friskies was fine, and provided a
> sound, nutritional diet for any cat?
> Sherry

My Boo, the tuxedo with a heart condition and a thyroid problem,
got obese on diet Iams dry. On my vet's advice (and Phil's--it was
his idea) I took her off free feeding dry and put her on Fancy Feast
varieties that have real beef, chicken, fish, liver etc. as a first
ingredient,
and Boo went from 18 lbs to 9 lbs in a year. I feed her every 12 hours,
and now, at age 12, she looks better than she ever has.

It's not just FF, it's any cat food that is mostly real meat, is what I
think.
Most have byproducts as a first ingredient, but many varieties of FF do
not. Plus--they just LOVE it. They look forward to eating and sleep it
off like they just went on a bender, hahaha!

Sherry
April 3rd 07, 10:25 PM
On Apr 3, 1:06 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Apr 3, 1:40 am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> >> With or without wheat gluten, Fancy Feast is nothing but crap. Getting
> >> cats
> >> on a healthy diet is really important. My cats vet says that he sees more
> >> overweight issues with patients than anything else. Also the cheaper the
> >> food there is more the possibility of a cat getting crystals in the
> >> urinary
> >> tract.
>
> >> --
> >> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.co
>
> > I'd be interested in some research re: relative proporation of urinary
> > crystals/overweight WRT cats fed Fancy Feast, versus cats fed a
> > strictly dry diet, no matter how high the quality of the dry food. Is
> > this the same vet who told you Friskies was fine, and provided a
> > sound, nutritional diet for any cat?
> > Sherry
>
> My Boo, the tuxedo with a heart condition and a thyroid problem,
> got obese on diet Iams dry. On my vet's advice (and Phil's--it was
> his idea) I took her off free feeding dry and put her on Fancy Feast
> varieties that have real beef, chicken, fish, liver etc. as a first
> ingredient,
> and Boo went from 18 lbs to 9 lbs in a year. I feed her every 12 hours,
> and now, at age 12, she looks better than she ever has.
>
> It's not just FF, it's any cat food that is mostly real meat, is what I
> think.
> Most have byproducts as a first ingredient, but many varieties of FF do
> not. Plus--they just LOVE it. They look forward to eating and sleep it
> off like they just went on a bender, hahaha!- Hide quoted text -

I also remember FF has really improved...there are a few varitieties
that are quite healthy, right up on par with premium canned foods WRT
phosphorus, ash, etc. Phil posted those a while back...I need to
google to remember which ones.
Speaking of Phil, is he around still? I've got a problem with Yoda I
need to obsess about. He has an appointment tomorrow at 2:30 but that
still gives me plenty of time to manifest worst-case scenarios so that
I can be adequately freaked out by then. I sure hope it's nothing but
age. (not cat-food related though, it's his eye; the outer rim of the
iris has turned a murky red-brown color). Seems fine otherwise though.

Sherry

cybercat
April 4th 07, 02:25 AM
"Sherry" > wrote
> Speaking of Phil, is he around still?

Check out the "China Gluten Blocked" thread, he actually posted to it this
morning. If you recall the Steve Crane/Science Diet debates of years back,
you'll appreciate his post. ;)

>I've got a problem with Yoda [...] it's his eye; the outer rim of the
> iris has turned a murky red-brown color). Seems fine otherwise though.

Wow, I have never heard of that. I hope he gets a good report, that is it
some harmless quirk. Please let us know what the doctor says.

Cat Protector
April 4th 07, 06:58 AM
The first four ingredients of any cat food will tell you a lot about it. I
definately think people should start reading ingredients instead of looking
at the price tag all the time. The cheaper the food the more problems the
cat ends up having when it comes to diet. When it's loaded with fillers and
by-products a cat could end up having problems like Urinary Tract Infection.

--

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> My Boo, the tuxedo with a heart condition and a thyroid problem,
> got obese on diet Iams dry. On my vet's advice (and Phil's--it was
> his idea) I took her off free feeding dry and put her on Fancy Feast
> varieties that have real beef, chicken, fish, liver etc. as a first
> ingredient,
> and Boo went from 18 lbs to 9 lbs in a year. I feed her every 12 hours,
> and now, at age 12, she looks better than she ever has.
>
> It's not just FF, it's any cat food that is mostly real meat, is what I
> think.
> Most have byproducts as a first ingredient, but many varieties of FF do
> not. Plus--they just LOVE it. They look forward to eating and sleep it
> off like they just went on a bender, hahaha!

Meghan Noecker
April 4th 07, 11:26 AM
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:06:54 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>My Boo, the tuxedo with a heart condition and a thyroid problem,
>got obese on diet Iams dry. On my vet's advice (and Phil's--it was
>his idea) I took her off free feeding dry and put her on Fancy Feast
>varieties that have real beef, chicken, fish, liver etc. as a first
>ingredient,
>and Boo went from 18 lbs to 9 lbs in a year. I feed her every 12 hours,
>and now, at age 12, she looks better than she ever has.

Jay Jay also gained on diet food. I switched him to Royal Canin's
Maine Coon food with larger kibbles, and that slowed him down, so he
ate less and was still satisfied and lost weight.

He does eat Fancy Feast now, but only two flavors. He only recently
started eating it. Before, he refused all canned food.

>It's not just FF, it's any cat food that is mostly real meat, is what I
>think.
>Most have byproducts as a first ingredient, but many varieties of FF do
>not. Plus--they just LOVE it. They look forward to eating and sleep it
>off like they just went on a bender, hahaha!

The two popular flavors have meat as the first ingredient, by-products
are 4th, and no grains at all. Both my cats have been eating it twice
a day and filling in with dry during the day. They are both lean and
healthy.

In all honesty, I have only had one cat with a weight problem. That
was Jay Jay whenI first got him. He was a stray and not used to an
all-you-can-eat food service.

My first two cats ate Friskies most of their lives (both lived to be
18). And neither one was ever overweight. I actually had trouble
keeping weight on and added canned food to get them to eat more.

I believe that activity level and genetics are also very important.

Meghan Noecker
April 4th 07, 11:30 AM
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:58:23 -0700, "Cat Protector"
> wrote:

>The first four ingredients of any cat food will tell you a lot about it. I
>definately think people should start reading ingredients instead of looking
>at the price tag all the time. The cheaper the food the more problems the
>cat ends up having when it comes to diet. When it's loaded with fillers and
>by-products a cat could end up having problems like Urinary Tract Infection.

What is wrong with by-products? As long as it isn't the main
ingredient, what is wrong with it? Wouldn't a cat get by-products if
it hunted and ate the animal?

The Fancy Feast flavors that I buy have no grains at all, and the
by-products are only the 4th ingredient. Isn't that a good thing? No
fillers, and all meat products.

If there is something wrong with that, can you please explain it?

Cat Protector
April 4th 07, 06:06 PM
If you have to ask that question then you have no clue about nutrition. Is
your cat overweight by chance?

--

"Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message

> What is wrong with by-products? As long as it isn't the main
> ingredient, what is wrong with it? Wouldn't a cat get by-products if
> it hunted and ate the animal?
>
> The Fancy Feast flavors that I buy have no grains at all, and the
> by-products are only the 4th ingredient. Isn't that a good thing? No
> fillers, and all meat products.
>
> If there is something wrong with that, can you please explain it?

Lynne
April 4th 07, 06:08 PM
on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:06:39 GMT, "Cat Protector" >
wrote:

> If you have to ask that question then you have no clue about
> nutrition.

If you can't answer a direct question, then you obviously have no clue.

--
Lynne

Moongal
April 4th 07, 07:04 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> If you have to ask that question then you have no clue about nutrition. Is
> your cat overweight by chance?
>
> --

Why would you want to be so mean and condesending? I don't see that it's
warrented.

You know I would like to read more and participate more, I have 3 cats and
one of them is near the end of his days and there are times when I could
really use some advice/support, but I fear that anything I say, or any
question I ask is going to get a response like the one above. It's very
discouraging.

Matthew
April 4th 07, 07:19 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> With or without wheat gluten, Fancy Feast is nothing but crap. Getting
> cats on a healthy diet is really important. My cats vet says that he sees
> more overweight issues with patients than anything else. Also the cheaper
> the food there is more the possibility of a cat getting crystals in the
> urinary tract.

Really!! gee!! than you dang sure you have no idea what you are talking
about. If that is so why is Fancy feast one of the recommended cat foods
for diabetic cats. It is the food I used to stabilize my Rumble when he
became diabetic and would not touch the other recommended food.

You are not a vet or a nutritionist Don't give out advice if you don't know
what you are talking about

Matthew
April 4th 07, 07:19 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> If you have to ask that question then you have no clue about nutrition. Is
> your cat overweight by chance?

Neither do you

> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
> www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!
> www.panthertekit.com
> "Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message
>
>> What is wrong with by-products? As long as it isn't the main
>> ingredient, what is wrong with it? Wouldn't a cat get by-products if
>> it hunted and ate the animal?
>>
>> The Fancy Feast flavors that I buy have no grains at all, and the
>> by-products are only the 4th ingredient. Isn't that a good thing? No
>> fillers, and all meat products.
>>
>> If there is something wrong with that, can you please explain it?

cybercat
April 4th 07, 11:45 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> If you have to ask that question then you have no clue about nutrition.
>> Is your cat overweight by chance?
>>

> Neither do you

Pssst! Matthew. CP is a major moron who took a several-year break from the
group after having his ass handed to him more that a few times. He was
feeding Walmart Special Kitty until recently. It is best not to argue with
idiots. It'll just annoy you.

Matthew
April 5th 07, 12:08 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> If you have to ask that question then you have no clue about nutrition.
>>> Is your cat overweight by chance?
>>>

>> Neither do you
>>

> Pssst! Matthew. CP is a major moron who took a several-year break from the
> group after having his ass handed to him more that a few times. He was
> feeding Walmart Special Kitty until recently. It is best not to argue with
> idiots. It'll just annoy you.

I feed my furballs special kitty but luckily they are fine
Rumble loves the mini turkey shredded

Matthew
April 5th 07, 12:14 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message

>>> Neither do you
>>>

>> Pssst! Matthew. CP is a major moron who took a several-year break from
>> the group after having his ass handed to him more that a few times. He
>> was feeding Walmart Special Kitty until recently. It is best not to argue
>> with idiots. It'll just annoy you.
>

> I feed my furballs special kitty but luckily they are fine
> Rumble loves the mini turkey shredded

I knew about CP he is can be a dangerous person if someone naive comes
along and believes him

cybercat
April 5th 07, 12:39 AM
"Matthew" > wrote
> I feed my furballs special kitty but luckily they are fine
> Rumble loves the mini turkey shredded

Walmart Special Kitty?

Sherry
April 5th 07, 12:47 AM
On Apr 4, 12:58 am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> The first four ingredients of any cat food will tell you a lot about it. I
> definately think people should start reading ingredients instead of looking
> at the price tag all the time.
snipped.

> --
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.com

Here's one of CP's classics on feline nutrition:

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:34:15 -0700

Just because your cats don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. My cats
like the
Friskies canned food but I am switching over to Special Kitty because
I want
to save money and also get more bang for my buck. My cats seem to
enjoy the
new canned food so I guess the switching over works.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

cybercat
April 5th 07, 12:57 AM
"Matthew" > wrote

> I knew about CP he is can be a dangerous person if someone naive comes
> along and believes him

I thought you had been around that long.

Matthew
April 5th 07, 01:01 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote
>> I feed my furballs special kitty but luckily they are fine
>> Rumble loves the mini turkey shredded
>

> Walmart Special Kitty?
Yeppie I am not feeding him that anymore for quite awhile since his
diabetic issues came up he gets Fancy Feast but the others got it but now
it is Purina, 9 lives, Whiskas and fancy feast till the problems is fixed

Matthew
April 5th 07, 01:03 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote
>>
>> I knew about CP he is can be a dangerous person if someone naive comes
>> along and believes him
>>
> I thought you had been around that long.
Remember I am too old for this [email protected] ;-)

Cheryl
April 5th 07, 01:15 AM
On Wed 04 Apr 2007 07:47:32p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> On Apr 4, 12:58 am, "Cat Protector" >
> wrote:
>> The first four ingredients of any cat food will tell you a lot
>> about it. I definately think people should start reading
>> ingredients instead of looking at the price tag all the time.
> snipped.
>>
>> --
>> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> Here's one of CP's classics on feline nutrition:
>
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:34:15 -0700
>
> Just because your cats don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. My
> cats like the
> Friskies canned food but I am switching over to Special Kitty
> because I want
> to save money and also get more bang for my buck. My cats seem
> to enjoy the
> new canned food so I guess the switching over works.
>
> --
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
> www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!
> www.panthertekit.com

Ugh. I remember all that. That's why I'm surprised to see all of
the opposite now. But his cats still win with the change of heart.
:)

--
Cheryl

Matthew
April 5th 07, 01:24 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Wed 04 Apr 2007 07:47:32p, Sherry wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
>> On Apr 4, 12:58 am, "Cat Protector" >
>> wrote:
>>> The first four ingredients of any cat food will tell you a lot
>>> about it. I definately think people should start reading
>>> ingredients instead of looking at the price tag all the time.
>> snipped.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.com
>>
>> Here's one of CP's classics on feline nutrition:
>>
>> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:34:15 -0700
>>
>> Just because your cats don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. My
>> cats like the
>> Friskies canned food but I am switching over to Special Kitty
>> because I want
>> to save money and also get more bang for my buck. My cats seem
>> to enjoy the
>> new canned food so I guess the switching over works.
>>
>> --
>> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
>> www.catgalaxymedia.com
>>
>> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!
>> www.panthertekit.com
>>

> Ugh. I remember all that. That's why I'm surprised to see all of
> the opposite now. But his cats still win with the change of heart.
> :)
>
> --
> Cheryl

He is also like this in the other groups

Meghan Noecker
April 5th 07, 04:54 AM
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:06:39 -0700, "Cat Protector"
> wrote:

>If you have to ask that question then you have no clue about nutrition. Is
>your cat overweight by chance?

Nope.

My only overweight cat was Jay Jay during the first few months when I
got him. He was not used to free feeding. I've had him 2 years now,
and he lost 3 pounds and does great.

Chase is skinny. His ribs are easy to feel. Personally, I wish he
would eat a bit more.

Why don't you just answer the question. Why are by-products okay when
the cat eats a dead animal, but not okay in cat food?

If you know so much more than I do, please explain it. All you do is
condemn everybody's choice of food. But you do not say what is so bad
about it.

Sherry
April 5th 07, 05:46 AM
On Apr 4, 7:15 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Wed 04 Apr 2007 07:47:32p, Sherry wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>

> > On Apr 4, 12:58 am, "Cat Protector" >
> > wrote:
> >> The first four ingredients of any cat food will tell you a lot
> >> about it. I definately think people should start reading
> >> ingredients instead of looking at the price tag all the time.
> > snipped.
>
> >> --
> >> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> > Here's one of CP's classics on feline nutrition:
>
> > Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:34:15 -0700
>
> > Just because your cats don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. My
> > cats like the
> > Friskies canned food but I am switching over to Special Kitty
> > because I want
> > to save money and also get more bang for my buck. My cats seem
> > to enjoy the
> > new canned food so I guess the switching over works.
>
> > --
> > Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
> >www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> > Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!
> >www.panthertekit.com
>
> Ugh. I remember all that. That's why I'm surprised to see all of
> the opposite now. But his cats still win with the change of heart.
> :)
>
> --
> Cheryl-

Oh yeah. I'm really glad--his cats *are* the winners. But I don't
think he's feeding wet food at all--I get the impression they're on
Spa Select dry. Which is probably a decent food--but IMO they *need*
some wet food in their diet.

Sherry

Phil P.
April 5th 07, 03:47 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Speaking of Phil, is he around still?

Hiya Sherry. I'm still here- although not as much these days- not much
time.

I've got a problem with Yoda I
> need to obsess about. He has an appointment tomorrow at 2:30 but that
> still gives me plenty of time to manifest worst-case scenarios so that
> I can be adequately freaked out by then. I sure hope it's nothing but
> age. (not cat-food related though, it's his eye; the outer rim of the
> iris has turned a murky red-brown color).

Does his eye look like this:

http://maxshouse.com/Ophthal_Pics/chatter_eye.jpg

If so- its just a freckle.

>Seems fine otherwise though.

Let me know the results of the exam.

Give the Yo-man a scritch for me.

Phil

Cat Protector
April 5th 07, 05:12 PM
Actually, it's you who looks like a moron if you have to resort to name
calling and a flame war in order to further your position. But then again,
people such as yourself never take the higher ground or are able to act like
an adult. As for feeding Special Kitty I haven't fed them that for 2 years
so I wouldn't call it recently. Get your facts straight or don't post at
all.

--

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Pssst! Matthew. CP is a major moron who took a several-year break from the
> group after having his ass handed to him more that a few times. He was
> feeding Walmart Special Kitty until recently. It is best not to argue with
> idiots. It'll just annoy you.

Cat Protector
April 5th 07, 05:13 PM
If it's Special Kitty canned food you may want to rethink that. That brand
is on the recall list.

--

"Matthew" > wrote in message

> I feed my furballs special kitty but luckily they are fine
> Rumble loves the mini turkey shredded

Cat Protector
April 5th 07, 05:15 PM
People can think what they want but I've been speaking the truth however
that can be dangerous for some people who choose not to hear it. Instead of
name calling or putting me down perhaps you should start listening to my
posts. Maybe you might actually learn something and be able to give a better
diet to your cats so they can live a long and healthy life.

--

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> I knew about CP he is can be a dangerous person if someone naive comes
> along and believes him

cybercat
April 5th 07, 05:28 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote
>>>
>>> I knew about CP he is can be a dangerous person if someone naive comes
>>> along and believes him
>>>
>> I thought you had been around that long.
> Remember I am too old for this [email protected] ;-)

hahaha!

cybercat
April 5th 07, 05:31 PM
"Matthew" > wrote
> Yeppie I am not feeding him that anymore for quite awhile since his
> diabetic issues came up he gets Fancy Feast but the others got it but
> now it is Purina, 9 lives, Whiskas and fancy feast till the problems is
> fixed

My cat Snidely loved Alley Cat dry food. That is all she really loved. She
was royally piffed when I switched to Science Diet Maintenance, but she got
used to it. The think I liked about feeding that food was that she actually
produced less "solid waste" on it. SD claims that will happen, but I was
amazed when it did. (They said there was more "usable nutrients" in it than
in other dry foods.)

Sherry
April 5th 07, 06:37 PM
On Apr 5, 9:47 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Speaking of Phil, is he around still?
>
> Hiya Sherry. I'm still here- although not as much these days- not much
> time.
>
> I've got a problem with Yoda I
>
> > need to obsess about. He has an appointment tomorrow at 2:30 but that
> > still gives me plenty of time to manifest worst-case scenarios so that
> > I can be adequately freaked out by then. I sure hope it's nothing but
> > age. (not cat-food related though, it's his eye; the outer rim of the
> > iris has turned a murky red-brown color).

No, it doesn't look like the pic. It's a ring, completely around the
outer edge of the iris, a little less than 1/4" wide.

I was sick yesterday. DH ended up taking him to his appt. The vet said
it was caused from trauma to the eye and gave him Neomycin/Polymyxin &
Dex Optha drops.

I've got doubts about this. I've *had* cats with minor eye trauma. The
eye always watered or gunked up. This one isn't, not at all. (no, I
didn't take him to the cow vet. This was the feline vet in the city,
but they saw the young vet he's added to his practice. That part
****ed me off. They did NOT tell me on the phone that the appt. wasn't
with the regular vet).

So I've been googling. It actually looks more like the pictures of
uveitis than anything else. I don't know what to do. It doesn't bother
him. I'll do the drops and if it doesn't get better take him back and
demand to see the regular vet.

Have you ever had a cat w/eye trauma whose eye didn't run, or water or
look squinchy?

Sherry

> Does his eye look like this:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Ophthal_Pics/chatter_eye.jpg
>
> If so- its just a freckle.
>
> >Seems fine otherwise though.
>
> Let me know the results of the exam.
>
> Give the Yo-man a scritch for me.
>
> Phil

Lynne
April 5th 07, 07:05 PM
on Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:37:35 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:

> So I've been googling. It actually looks more like the pictures of
> uveitis than anything else. I don't know what to do. It doesn't bother
> him. I'll do the drops and if it doesn't get better take him back and
> demand to see the regular vet.

If it was uveitis, he would be in severe pain and would likely be
squinting. The eye would also likely have cloudiness, redness, tearing,
and/or bleeding into the eye, but not always. He would definitely be light
sensitive, though.

If you see these symptoms, consider it a medical emergency. Untreated
uveitis can lead to blindness fairly quickly. The only way to diagnose
uveitis is with a slit lamp examination, which your regular vet is unlikely
to have.

I'd take him to a veterinary opthamologist if you aren't sure of your vet's
diagnosis.

--
Lynne

mlbriggs
April 5th 07, 07:36 PM
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:05:48 -0500, Lynne wrote:

> on Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:37:35 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:
>
>> So I've been googling. It actually looks more like the pictures of
>> uveitis than anything else. I don't know what to do. It doesn't bother
>> him. I'll do the drops and if it doesn't get better take him back and
>> demand to see the regular vet.
>
> If it was uveitis, he would be in severe pain and would likely be
> squinting. The eye would also likely have cloudiness, redness, tearing,
> and/or bleeding into the eye, but not always. He would definitely be light
> sensitive, though.
>
> If you see these symptoms, consider it a medical emergency. Untreated
> uveitis can lead to blindness fairly quickly. The only way to diagnose
> uveitis is with a slit lamp examination, which your regular vet is unlikely
> to have.
>
> I'd take him to a veterinary opthamologist if you aren't sure of your vet's
> diagnosis.

This makes me wonder if animals can suffer from dry eyes like people do?
MLB

Cheryl
April 6th 07, 12:00 AM
On Thu 05 Apr 2007 12:46:22a, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> Oh yeah. I'm really glad--his cats *are* the winners. But I
> don't think he's feeding wet food at all--I get the impression
> they're on Spa Select dry. Which is probably a decent food--but
> IMO they *need* some wet food in their diet.

Oh, well then nevermind. I agree, and I wish I could convert two of
mine to ALL wet food, but they're stubborn and I give in.

I just talked to my vet to bring Scarlett in for her conjunctivitis
flare-up that I told you about, and asked her if she's seen many
cases of illness due to pets eating the recalled food, and she's
had several cases, all of which are now holding their own with
care. One death, but it was before the recall and they've submitted
the case for investigation. I wish I could know the result of it,
but it's likely that I'll never know.

--
Cheryl

kraut
April 6th 07, 12:31 AM
What does all this have to do with the subject line ?!?!?

>People can think what they want but I've been speaking the truth however
>that can be dangerous for some people who choose not to hear it. Instead of
>name calling or putting me down perhaps you should start listening to my
>posts. Maybe you might actually learn something and be able to give a better
>diet to your cats so they can live a long and healthy life.
>

>> I knew about CP he is can be a dangerous person if someone naive comes
>> along and believes him

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=

Sherry
April 6th 07, 04:26 AM
On Apr 5, 1:05 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:37:35 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:
>
> > So I've been googling. It actually looks more like the pictures of
> > uveitis than anything else. I don't know what to do. It doesn't bother
> > him. I'll do the drops and if it doesn't get better take him back and
> > demand to see the regular vet.
>
> If it was uveitis, he would be in severe pain and would likely be
> squinting. The eye would also likely have cloudiness, redness, tearing,
> and/or bleeding into the eye, but not always. He would definitely be light
> sensitive, though.
>
> If you see these symptoms, consider it a medical emergency. Untreated
> uveitis can lead to blindness fairly quickly. The only way to diagnose
> uveitis is with a slit lamp examination, which your regular vet is unlikely
> to have.
>
> I'd take him to a veterinary opthamologist if you aren't sure of your vet's
> diagnosis.
>
> --
> Lynne

Oh, I'm sure it's *not* uveitis. What I was trying to do is describe
the appearance of the eye, i.e. the type of color change. . If he was
squinting or appeared to be in severe pain, I would not have to be
told to take him to the vet. :-)

Sherry

Rhonda
April 6th 07, 05:43 AM
Lynne,

Have you had a pet with uveitis? I'm just wondering what are the first
symptoms.

We have a rabbit that has red eyes, and I noticed she suddenly seemed to
not see well on one side. I looked into her eye with a flashlight and
saw a white line deep inside, straight up and down. Two vets thought it
was from an injury and possibly uveitis. She did not seem to have pain.

The eye has since clouded over and the other eye quickly got the same
symptoms. She is now blind and my red-eyed girl has whitish-blue eyes.
This all happened in a matter of weeks. The vet now thinks it is
cataracts, but it came on so quickly. One vet said early cataracts start
with a peace sign shape on the lens, not a straight line.

Any lines with uveitis? She has cloudiness but no tearing until I
started her on her drops for inflammation. The vet said there is some
irritation around the edges of the eyes (in the eye itself) -- but that
can come from the proteins of a cataract.

Rhonda

> On Apr 5, 1:05 pm, Lynne > wrote:
>
>>If it was uveitis, he would be in severe pain and would likely be
>>squinting. The eye would also likely have cloudiness, redness, tearing,
>>and/or bleeding into the eye, but not always. He would definitely be light
>>sensitive, though.
>>
>>If you see these symptoms, consider it a medical emergency. Untreated
>>uveitis can lead to blindness fairly quickly. The only way to diagnose
>>uveitis is with a slit lamp examination, which your regular vet is unlikely
>>to have.
>>
>>I'd take him to a veterinary opthamologist if you aren't sure of your vet's
>>diagnosis.

Lynne
April 6th 07, 03:22 PM
on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:43:59 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

> Lynne,
>
> Have you had a pet with uveitis? I'm just wondering what are the first
> symptoms.
>
> We have a rabbit that has red eyes, and I noticed she suddenly seemed
> to not see well on one side. I looked into her eye with a flashlight
> and saw a white line deep inside, straight up and down. Two vets
> thought it was from an injury and possibly uveitis. She did not seem
> to have pain.
>
> The eye has since clouded over and the other eye quickly got the same
> symptoms. She is now blind and my red-eyed girl has whitish-blue eyes.
> This all happened in a matter of weeks. The vet now thinks it is
> cataracts, but it came on so quickly. One vet said early cataracts
> start with a peace sign shape on the lens, not a straight line.
>
> Any lines with uveitis? She has cloudiness but no tearing until I
> started her on her drops for inflammation. The vet said there is some
> irritation around the edges of the eyes (in the eye itself) -- but
> that can come from the proteins of a cataract.
>
> Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

I have uveitis. For 2 years I have been using steroid drops in my eyes,
systemic steroids and even chemotherapy to treat it. The goal is to
reduce the inflammation in the eye FAST and then keep it under control
without creating other problems in the eye.

The first symptoms (for me) resembled conjunctivitis--redness, pain,
light sensitivity but very little (clear) discharge, unlike in an eye
infection where there's usually a sticky discharge. When the antibiotic
drops didn't give me relief in the first few days, I went off to my
opthamologist who diagnosed me. The only way to diagnose uveitis is with
a slit lamp exam, preferably with the eyes dilated.

Uveitis can lead to glaucoma (which can also be caused by prolonged use
of steriod eye drops...), and glaucoma can lead to blindness. The only
visible sign of uveitis for me was/is extreme redness. Sometimes my
pupils dilate to different sizes. I don't have any cloudiness, but it
can be a visible sign. Cataracts are typically easy to see, but of
course they appear as cloudiness. I would think your vet would be sure
if it was cataracts, which usually progress *slowly*, unlike uveitis.
I'd be suspicious of that diagnosis, though treating her for inflammation
is the right thing to do if it's uveitis, so I wouldn't get too upset. I
don't know about white lines in the eyes, though, and it may be something
specific to rabbits. In fact, the disease process of cataracts in
rabbits may be dramatically different than in humans, so keep that in
mind. Has a veterinary opthamologist examined her? I wouldn't trust eye
problems to a general practice vet.

Uveitis is usually a symptom of another disease process, but in animals
it's often difficult to diagnose what is causing the uveitis. It can
also be caused by injury to the eye, and if it is, it will present only
in one eye and usually will not recur once it is successfully treated.

I hope this helps somehow.

--
Lynne

Rhonda
April 6th 07, 06:10 PM
Lynne wrote:
> Hi Rhonda,
>
> I have uveitis. For 2 years I have been using steroid drops in my eyes,
> systemic steroids and even chemotherapy to treat it. The goal is to
> reduce the inflammation in the eye FAST and then keep it under control
> without creating other problems in the eye.
>
> The first symptoms (for me) resembled conjunctivitis--redness, pain,
> light sensitivity but very little (clear) discharge, unlike in an eye
> infection where there's usually a sticky discharge. When the antibiotic
> drops didn't give me relief in the first few days, I went off to my
> opthamologist who diagnosed me. The only way to diagnose uveitis is with
> a slit lamp exam, preferably with the eyes dilated.
>
> Uveitis can lead to glaucoma (which can also be caused by prolonged use
> of steriod eye drops...), and glaucoma can lead to blindness. The only
> visible sign of uveitis for me was/is extreme redness. Sometimes my
> pupils dilate to different sizes. I don't have any cloudiness, but it
> can be a visible sign. Cataracts are typically easy to see, but of
> course they appear as cloudiness. I would think your vet would be sure
> if it was cataracts, which usually progress *slowly*, unlike uveitis.
> I'd be suspicious of that diagnosis, though treating her for inflammation
> is the right thing to do if it's uveitis, so I wouldn't get too upset. I
> don't know about white lines in the eyes, though, and it may be something
> specific to rabbits. In fact, the disease process of cataracts in
> rabbits may be dramatically different than in humans, so keep that in
> mind. Has a veterinary opthamologist examined her? I wouldn't trust eye
> problems to a general practice vet.
>
> Uveitis is usually a symptom of another disease process, but in animals
> it's often difficult to diagnose what is causing the uveitis. It can
> also be caused by injury to the eye, and if it is, it will present only
> in one eye and usually will not recur once it is successfully treated.
>
> I hope this helps somehow.

Thanks, Lynne, it does. The vet says the rabbit's eyes now have the
fractured look of cataracts -- she seems certain that's what it is now.
If she develops more symptoms like what you've said, we should probably
get her to an opthamonolgist.

Sorry you had to go through all of that.

Rhonda