PDA

View Full Version : New cat and getting sleep

April 2nd 07, 06:06 PM
I just got a cat from the humaine society, and in many ways she is a
very well behaved cat. I've been impressed with how easily she has
settled in. The one problem I've had is that she goes from being quiet
in the day to being very vocal at night. She craves attention, and at
night she wakes me up to get it (over and over again). I want to show
her that she has a permanent home and that I love her, but I want to
stop this behaviour from being a regular thing.

Any advice?

Matthew
April 2nd 07, 06:19 PM
First the furball is training you very well. Just like a child you are
enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. For me I don't mind when they
wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door. Which
they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.

Try playing with them before you go to bed wear them out

How long has it been it takes awhile for them to get used to your home. In
the shelter animals are very vocal. The furball might be trying to talk to
other cats or is nervous

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just got a cat from the humaine society, and in many ways she is a
> very well behaved cat. I've been impressed with how easily she has
> settled in. The one problem I've had is that she goes from being quiet
> in the day to being very vocal at night. She craves attention, and at
> night she wakes me up to get it (over and over again). I want to show
> her that she has a permanent home and that I love her, but I want to
> stop this behaviour from being a regular thing.
>
> Any advice?

April 2nd 07, 06:39 PM
On Apr 2, 2:19 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> First the furball is training you very well. Just like a child you are
> enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. For me I don't mind when they
> wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door. Which
> they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.
>
> Try playing with them before you go to bed wear them out
>
> How long has it been it takes awhile for them to get used to your home. In
> the shelter animals are very vocal. The furball might be trying to talk to
> other cats or is nervous

Oh, she is training me. She's only been here for a very few days, and
I'm still watching for signs of distress to make sure that everything
is alright. So when she cries outside my (open) door at night I worry
and invite her in. Your advice is good, but I think I'll find it hard.

Matthew
April 2nd 07, 06:59 PM
Well all do that is what makes us perfect cat slaves

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 2, 2:19 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> First the furball is training you very well. Just like a child you are
>> enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. For me I don't mind when
>> they
>> wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door.
>> Which
>> they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.
>>
>> Try playing with them before you go to bed wear them out
>>
>> How long has it been it takes awhile for them to get used to your home.
>> In
>> the shelter animals are very vocal. The furball might be trying to talk
>> other cats or is nervous
>
> Oh, she is training me. She's only been here for a very few days, and
> I'm still watching for signs of distress to make sure that everything
> is alright. So when she cries outside my (open) door at night I worry
> and invite her in. Your advice is good, but I think I'll find it hard.

Rene S.
April 2nd 07, 07:21 PM
Matthew has some good advice. A play session before bedtime is a good
idea. My cats have learned that if they bother me before the alarm
clock, they are locked out of the bedroom. Another tip is to NOT feed
her immediately after getting up in the morning. Take a shower or eat
breakfast and then feed her. That way, you aren't rewarding her
behavior with food.

It make take a few weeks of "tough love," but once you have a
schedule, you'll sleep much better. :)

April 2nd 07, 11:08 PM
On Apr 2, 3:21 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> Matthew has some good advice. A play session before bedtime is a good
> idea.

She actually doesn't play. I bought a few toys for her, and she just
ignores them all. I tried playing with her and she mostly stares at
me. She was a stray, and I think maybe that need to find food makes
play hunting seem pointless.

cybercat
April 2nd 07, 11:20 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 2, 3:21 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
>> Matthew has some good advice. A play session before bedtime is a good
>> idea.
>
> She actually doesn't play. I bought a few toys for her, and she just
> ignores them all. I tried playing with her and she mostly stares at
> me. She was a stray, and I think maybe that need to find food makes
> play hunting seem pointless.

No, it is just too early. Her personality will emerge over time as she gets
comfortable.

April 3rd 07, 06:30 AM
I closed her out of my room for the night and it was so sad. She was
trying to follow me into my room (she follows me most of the time). I
don't think I'm cut out for tough love.

bookie
April 3rd 07, 05:46 PM
On 3 Apr, 06:30, wrote:
> I closed her out of my room for the night and it was so sad. She was
> trying to follow me into my room (she follows me most of the time). I
> don't think I'm cut out for tough love.

for chirst's sake just put up with sleepless nights like the rest of
us do, it is small price to pay for the company of a beautiful
pussycat who just wants to be loved and be near you. Take it as a
compliment in fact! she will calm, down, let her sleep onyour bed with
you fro a while (if you are not doing so already), she is disturbed
right now and needs reassurance so let her have some.
would you ignore a crying baby at night? probably not, you woudl drag
your arse out of bed in a flash and respond to whatever the screaming
kid wants (probably attention or something) and let it disrupt your
sleep and be cool about it, so what is different about your new cat
who is a bti scraed and confused about her new surroundings right now.

she will calm down in time, just remember that she is frightened and
confused and that she is also a princess who needs your love and
reassuarnce.

as for toys, try some different things like dangly things on string,
fishing rod type stuff, some cats like catnip and go mad for it, some
cats do not respond to it at all, crinky balls which are light can be
good, also ping pong balls which bounce easilty and cats bat them
arund and can find them even more enticing to play with as they cannot
get hold of them and they shoot out of their paws fast. she may like
things which make a noise, or she may be scared of things with bells
on them.

My jasper ran away form toys with bells onthem, so any news toys
(dangly ones only, he was not keen on balls) had to have the bells
removed and hten he would love playing chase with them and pretending
they were prey, particularly things with feathers which could be waved
temptingly in front of him.

try a range of toys and dont' give up, you will find one which she
likes soon enough, even if it is just a cardboard box for her to hide
and and jump out at people from. toy makers all claim theirs is the
'best toy ever!!!' but it does depends onthe cat just liek humans have
different tastes (eg i can't stand computer games, some people love
them)

best fo luck with her, but don't bother with tough love tactics, just
give her love
bookie

barb
April 3rd 07, 06:42 PM
Don't lock her out of your room. She is afraid of losing you, right now.
Don't forget, she was probably living in a cage when you found her and now
you've shown her how great life can be for a cat.

Teach her what it means when you need to sleep. Play "dead". Totally
ignore her when she tries to wake you. Just lie there and pretend you're
sleeping. Cat's are smart. She will get the idea. Show her you wake up on
your own time.

Lots of luck!
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

April 3rd 07, 08:07 PM
On Apr 3, 2:42 pm, "barb" > wrote:
> Don't lock her out of your room. She is afraid of losing you, right now.
> Don't forget, she was probably living in a cage when you found her and now
> you've shown her how great life can be for a cat.
>
> Teach her what it means when you need to sleep. Play "dead". Totally
> ignore her when she tries to wake you. Just lie there and pretend you're
> sleeping. Cat's are smart. She will get the idea. Show her you wake up on
> your own time.
>
> Lots of luck!
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

I caved on the tough love tactic half way through the night. I let her
in and we both got a good sleep for the rest of the night, so I was
happy with that.

bookie
April 4th 07, 03:09 AM
On 3 Apr, 20:07, wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2:42 pm, "barb" > wrote:
>
> > Don't lock her out of your room. She is afraid of losing you, right now.
> > Don't forget, she was probably living in a cage when you found her and now
> > you've shown her how great life can be for a cat.
>
> > Teach her what it means when you need to sleep. Play "dead". Totally
> > ignore her when she tries to wake you. Just lie there and pretend you're
> > sleeping. Cat's are smart. She will get the idea. Show her you wake up on
> > your own time.
>
> > Lots of luck!
> > Barb
> > Of course I don't look busy,
> > I did it right the first time.
>
> I caved on the tough love tactic half way through the night. I let her
> in and we both got a good sleep for the rest of the night, so I was
> happy with that.

good! I have tried the 'play dead' thing with mine before, it worked
on one (jessie, current puss, she gets bored and realises her cries
for attention are not working so goes away) and jasper (who would
scratch at you head and even dig you out from under the bed clothes if
you ignored him, but then he woud only do it inthe morning to get you
up for breakfast, not several times in the night, very useful if my
alarm clock did not go off). It may work with her so try it.
also i agree with barb, this puss is scared that she has lost her new
mum and wants to make sue for herself that you have not abandoned her
like her previous mum did, she wants to knwo you are still there so
let her knwo you are. things are very new for her and confusing so let
her snuggle up with you at night to reassure her you are not going to
disappear or kick her out.

do youhave any photos to show us?
Bookie

IBen Getiner
April 4th 07, 09:41 AM
On Apr 2, 1:06?pm, wrote:
> I just got a cat from the humaine society, and in many ways she is a
> very well behaved cat. I've been impressed with how easily she has
> settled in. The one problem I've had is that she goes from being quiet
> in the day to being very vocal at night. She craves attention, and at
> night she wakes me up to get it (over and over again). I want to show
> her that she has a permanent home and that I love her, but I want to
> stop this behaviour from being a regular thing.
>
> Any advice?

What are you...? A child? This is simple common sense.

Look.... It's easy. Take cat's food bowl. Put cat's food bowl in spare
bedroom. Take cat's water bowl. Put cat's water bowl in spare bedroom.
Take cat's litter box. Put cat's litter box in spare bedroom. Take
cat. Put cat in spare bedroom. Say good nite. Turn around. Exit spare
bedroom. Close door.
Then you go to bed! And you sleep! You might want to have a box-fan
running in your room to provide the white noise that you might need if
she starts to cry. But remember... you deserve your rest and she will
eventually get used to it. Ours did. It took about three weeks, but
now when I come out of the shower, Franchester is standing in the
center of his open doorway awaiting the command "chop-chop"! that
tells him to turn and trot into his bedroom lair.
You women.... You've simply got to get by this frantic concern towards
anything that's crying. Crying is not always bad. You'll ruin a child
by running to him every time he cries, and a cat is no different. Do
you have a husband, Emma...? Because if you do, you can ask him to
take care of whatever it is about the crying issue that you can't
understand. Femininity has a place, but that's not all over the place.
Especially in situations where discipline is required.
It won't hurt kitty to cry, Emma. It'll only hurt you...

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
April 4th 07, 09:55 AM
On Apr 2, 1:19�pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> First the furball is training you very well. *Just like a child you are
> enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. *For me I don't mind when they
> wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door. *Which
> they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.

Now here's a person with common sense. A dying breed, I'm afraid.

IBen

April 4th 07, 06:13 PM
On Apr 4, 5:55 am, "IBen Getiner" > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 1:19?pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>
> > First the furball is training you very well. ?Just like a child you are
> > enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. ?For me I don't mind when they
> > wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door. ?Which
> > they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.
>
> Now here's a person with common sense. A dying breed, I'm afraid.
>
> IBen

Finding people on Usenet with pleasant manners is even harder than
finding common sense.

When I posted asking for advice I was unsure whether to be firm and
set a pattern or be lenient with a cat that has been poorly treated
before. I got answers in favor of both methods. This hasn't made the
issue seem much clearer.

However, I do very much appreciate everyone taking the time to give
advice and make suggestions about ways to make the settling in process
smoother.

April 4th 07, 06:20 PM
On Apr 3, 11:09 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> do youhave any photos to show us?
> Bookie

I do have photos. Thank you for asking.

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/ewallace25/

James
April 4th 07, 06:43 PM
On Apr 2, 12:06 pm, wrote:
> I just got a cat from the humaine society, and in many ways she is a
> very well behaved cat. I've been impressed with how easily she has
> settled in. The one problem I've had is that she goes from being quiet
> in the day to being very vocal at night. She craves attention, and at
> night she wakes me up to get it (over and over again). I want to show
> her that she has a permanent home and that I love her, but I want to
> stop this behaviour from being a regular thing.
>
> Any advice?

If she was very active during the day she might be able to sleep
through the night. My pussy sleeps throught the night as far as I
know. Of course she might get out of bed turning the night without my
knowledge.

bookie
April 4th 07, 08:18 PM
On 4 Apr, 18:20, wrote:
> On Apr 3, 11:09 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > do youhave any photos to show us?
> > Bookie
>
> I do have photos. Thank you for asking.
>
> http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/ewallace25/

she is gorgeous!!!!! what a fluff bucket! it woudl take just one quiet
miaow and a look from those huge eyes and i woud be putty in her paws,
no wonder you are finding the tough love approach impossible. oh god,
just give in and give her what she wnats, she has had a hard life and
deserves to be pampered and spoilt for the rest of her life can sleep
when you are dead, what a sweet little darling, just look at those
eyes!!!!! how could anyone resist?

bookie

IBen Getiner
April 5th 07, 05:32 AM
On Apr 4, 1:13?pm, wrote:
> On Apr 4, 5:55 am, "IBen Getiner" > wrote:
>
> > On Apr 2, 1:19?pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>
> > > First the furball is training you very well. ?Just like a child you are
> > > enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. ?For me I don't mind when they
> > > wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door. ?Which
> > > they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.
>
> > Now here's a person with common sense. A dying breed, I'm afraid.
>
> > IBen
>
> Finding people on Usenet with pleasant manners is even harder than
> finding common sense.

Then you've come to the right place. If you want to keep that streak
alive, that is...

> When I posted asking for advice I was unsure whether to be firm and
> set a pattern or be lenient with a cat that has been poorly treated
> before.

Hmm... I see.. Be firm, but without being mean. Firmness is good in
this situation because it simply means you will allow the cat to be
alone and away from you for a spell. It entails nothing more. Unless
either you or the cat is suicidal, that is.

> I got answers in favor of both methods. This hasn't made the
> issue seem much clearer.

What do you want, Enmia...? To get a good night's sleep or face each
day having to use toothpicks to prop your eyelids open with? Your
kitty there is a nocturnal creature. Don't let it get you on IT'S
schedule. It's just like what they same about an infant. You gotta let
them cry once in a while. Otherwise... well, it would be just like
what you got here now.. No pet is worth an addiction to sleeping
pills. Your naturally occurring sleep cycle is one of the most
valuable things you have that you were born with, so take good care of
it!

> However, I do very much appreciate everyone taking the time to give
> advice and make suggestions about ways to make the settling in process
> smoother.

You're quite welcome. Come back any time. Until them, I'm gonna get
right on these people who have been exhibiting all these poor manners
in here. We're gonna to get to the bottom of this **** before any more
damage is overdone.

Good luck, and remember... J_L_K_C...... (Just Let Kitty Cry ;)

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
April 5th 07, 05:51 AM
On Apr 4, 3:18?pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 4 Apr, 18:20, wrote:
>
> > On Apr 3, 11:09 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > > do youhave any photos to show us?
> > > Bookie
>
> > I do have photos. Thank you for asking.
>
> >http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/ewallace25/
>
> she is gorgeous!!!!! what a fluff bucket! it woudl take just one quiet
> miaow and a look from those huge eyes and i woud be putty in her paws,
> no wonder you are finding the tough love approach impossible. oh god,
> just give in and give her what she wnats, she has had a hard life and
> deserves to be pampered and spoilt for the rest of her life can sleep
> when you are dead, what a sweet little darling, just look at those
> eyes!!!!! how could anyone resist?
>
> bookie

Especially these guys......

http://sirius.2kat.net/cats.html

IBen Getiner
April 5th 07, 06:04 AM
On Apr 4, 1:13?pm, wrote:
> On Apr 4, 5:55 am, "IBen Getiner" > wrote:
>
> > On Apr 2, 1:19?pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>
> > > First the furball is training you very well. ?Just like a child you are
> > > enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. ?For me I don't mind when they
> > > wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door. ?Which
> > > they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.
>
> > Now here's a person with common sense. A dying breed, I'm afraid.
>
> > IBen
>
> Finding people on Usenet with pleasant manners is even harder than
> finding common sense.

Then you've come to the right place. If you want to keep that streak
alive, that is...

> When I posted asking for advice I was unsure whether to be firm and
> set a pattern or be lenient with a cat that has been poorly treated
> before.

Hmm... I see.. Be firm (but not mean). Firmness is good in this
situation because it simply means that you will allow the cat to be
alone and away from you. It entails nothing more.Unless either one of
you is suicidal, that is.

> I got answers in favor of both methods. This hasn't made the
> issue seem much clearer.

What do you want, Enma...? To get a good night's sleep or face each
day having to use toothpicks to prop your eyelids open with? Cats are
nocturnal creatures. Don't let them get you on their schedules. It's
just like what they say about infants. You gotta let them cry once in
a while. Otherwise... well, it would be just like what you got going
here now.. No pet is worth an addiction to sleeping pills. Your
naturally occurring sleep cycle is one of the most valuable things you
have, so take good care of it!

> However, I do very much appreciate everyone taking the time to give
> advice and make suggestions about ways to make the settling in process
> smoother.

You're quite welcome. Come back any time. Until them, I'm gonna get
right on these people who have been exhibiting all these poor manners
in here lately. We're going to get to the bottom of this krap before
any more damage is overdone.

Good luck, and remember... J_L_K_C...... (Just Let Kitty Cry ;)

IBen Getiner

bookie
April 5th 07, 01:33 PM
On 5 Apr, 05:51, "IBen Getiner" > wrote:
> On Apr 4, 3:18?pm, "bookie" > wrote:

> > > I do have photos. Thank you for asking.
>
> > >http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/ewallace25/
>
> > she is gorgeous!!!!! what a fluff bucket! it woudl take just one quiet
> > miaow and a look from those huge eyes and i woud be putty in her paws,
> > no wonder you are finding the tough love approach impossible. oh god,
> > just give in and give her what she wnats, she has had a hard life and
> > deserves to be pampered and spoilt for the rest of her life can sleep
> > when you are dead, what a sweet little darling, just look at those
> > eyes!!!!! how could anyone resist?
>
> > bookie
>
> Especially these guys......
>
> http://sirius.2kat.net/cats.html- Hide quoted text -

thats ****ing sick, how anyone can (a) eat them or (b) keep them in
such nasty conditions is beyond me. thanks for bringing this to my
attention though, i will be following the links to the petitions and
writing letters accordingly (which was probably not your intention
when you posted the link but hey ho!)

have to go and kiss my pusscat who is streatched out on the bed behind
me exposing her soft white tummy to the world, all relaxed, not
captive, not in pain, not in distress, oh god i wish i could wave a
magic wand and make sure every cat inthe world could be inthe same
state as her (minus the hyperthyroidism of course)

bookie

Ron Herfurth
April 5th 07, 09:33 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just got a cat from the humaine society, and in many ways she is a
> very well behaved cat. I've been impressed with how easily she has
> settled in. The one problem I've had is that she goes from being quiet
> in the day to being very vocal at night. She craves attention, and at
> night she wakes me up to get it (over and over again). I want to show
> her that she has a permanent home and that I love her, but I want to
> stop this behaviour from being a regular thing.
>
> Any advice?

Keep her in the bedroom. Scratch her or ignore her as you wish, but soon
enough she'll settle down or decide to sleep somehere else in the house.

And all too soon you'll miss her waking you up at night.
Voice of experience.
ron