PDA

View Full Version : Bitsy is in pain from her leg

junebug
April 3rd 07, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone. I've not posted to this group in a long time but I now
have a problem and wonder if anyone can suggest anything.

Bitsy is a seven year old brown tabby. She is just a barrel of energy
and always on the go. Last Wednesday morning she was on the island in
my kitchen waiting for me to finish my cereal so that she could have
her drink of milk. Somehow, she got to close to the edge, lost her
balance and fell off the island. She immediately started to scream in
pain and I thought she had broken her leg. I grabbed her, called the
vet and went immediately with her to the vet's office. By the time I
got there, she had stopped crying. When we took her out of the
carrier, she walked fine and the vet felt her leg, pulled it, etc. and
no reaction from Bitsy. The vet was stumped but felt she was fine. I
took her home and other than being quieter than normal, she was fine.
That night, she started crying again, obviously in a great deal of
pain from the leg. I kept her quiet and after about two hours, she was
fine.

I returned to the vet the next day. Again the vet poked and prodded
and stretched the leg and could find nothing that seemed to hurt her.
She suggested I keep her quiet for a few days and see if it got
better. She was reluctant to do x-rays as she felt she would have to
sedate her to get a proper reading.

Since last Thursday, the eposodes of lameness and pain have recurred
several times but each time they seemed less severe and she recovered
faster. However, tonight she had a bad eposode when she couldn't walk
and seemed in a great deal of pain. I kept her quiet and after about
an hour she seemed o.k., got under the bed and stayed there for
another half hour or so. Then she comes upstairs, walking just fine
and in no pain.

I'm taking her in to the vet first thing tomorrow for x-rays.

I'm stumped and the vet seems stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be: a knee or hip bone that
pops out then pops back in? a pinched nerve? a hairline fracture?

All I can trace it to is the fall but this periodic weakness and pain
is quite concerning. She's also not her usual bubbly, energic self.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew
April 3rd 07, 12:26 AM
ultra sound to see if the knee or ligament has been damaged if the x-ray
doesn't show anything
oups.com...