PDA

View Full Version : China Gluten Blocked After Pet Food Recall

Matthew
April 3rd 07, 01:50 AM
China Gluten Blocked After Pet Food Recall
Chemical Melamie Found In Wheat Gluten Samples

WASHINGTON -- The government has blocked imports of wheat gluten from a
company in China because of contamination, acting after the recent pet-food
deaths of cats and dogs in the U.S.

The Food and Drug Administration took action against wheat gluten from
Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. in Wangdien, China, after
the U.S. recall of nearly 100 brands of pet food.

Tainted pet food apparently has resulted in kidney failure in animals across
the country.

Imported wheat gluten from China was suspected in the outbreak, and the FDA
reported last week that it had found the chemical melamine in samples of the
gluten, which was used in the pet foods.

On Monday, the FDA posted an import alert on its Web page notifying its
field offices to detain any gluten offered for import from the company.

The order applies to gluten from China as well as from the Netherlands, a
country through which transshipping of Chinese products can occur.

Phil P.
April 3rd 07, 12:09 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> China Gluten Blocked After Pet Food Recall
> Chemical Melamie Found In Wheat Gluten Samples
>
> WASHINGTON -- The government has blocked imports of wheat gluten from a
> company in China because of contamination, acting after the recent
pet-food
> deaths of cats and dogs in the U.S.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration took action against wheat gluten from
> Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. in Wangdien, China,
after
> the U.S. recall of nearly 100 brands of pet food.
>
> Tainted pet food apparently has resulted in kidney failure in animals
across
> the country.
>

> Imported wheat gluten from China was suspected in the outbreak, and the
FDA
> reported last week that it had found the chemical melamine in samples of
the
> gluten, which was used in the pet foods.
>
> On Monday, the FDA posted an import alert on its Web page notifying its
> field offices to detain any gluten offered for import from the company.
>
> The order applies to gluten from China as well as from the Netherlands, a
> country through which transshipping of Chinese products can occur.

This is scary:

"The Chinese supplier sells both animal-feed-grade wheat gluten and
human-food-grade gluten. Menu Foods, which manufactured most of the recalled
pet foods, has said that the wheat gluten it used was human food grade."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-04-02-china-pet-food_N.htm

"Geng Xiujuan, Xuzhou Anying's sales manager, said the company was aware of
the FDA's import alert and was looking into it. However, Geng said the
company, based in the eastern province of Jiangsu, had not manufactured the
wheat gluten but had instead bought it from companies in neighboring
provinces. She said Xuzhou Anying sold it onward to another Jiangsu company,
Suzhou Textile Import and Export Co."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17915607/

Where's Steve Crane? I want him to tell me again that Hill's only uses fixed
formulas and not least cost formulation...

cybercat
April 3rd 07, 01:29 PM
"Phil P." > wrote:

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17915607/
>
> Where's Steve Crane? I want him to tell me again that Hill's only uses
> fixed
> formulas and not least cost formulation...

Heh heh.

Doug Bashford
April 6th 07, 12:29 AM
"You could see crystals in the wheat gluten"

Jeeez....

Also, I think thousands of cats have died.
....too much anecdotal evidence. This story might be
being repressed (censored).

Tainted pet food a bigger risk to cats - Pet Health -
MSNBC.com
You could see crystals in the wheat gluten,” Sundlof told
The Associated Press. Feline sensitivity a mystery Sundlof
and others have not been able to ...
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17870750/ - 61k - Cached -

They’ve also found the chemical, in apparently raw
form in concentrations as high as 6.6 percent, in wheat
gluten used as ingredient of the recalled cat and dog foods,
said Stephen Sundlof, the FDA’s chief veterinarian.
“There was a sizable amount of melamine. You could
see crystals in the wheat gluten,” Sundlof told The
Associated Press.

Pet Food Recall Expanded - Melamine & Wheat Gluten Toxicity
The latest recall is associated with melamine, found in the
wheat gluten ... may be sufficiently high to cause the
formation of crystals in kidney tubules. ...
chemistry.about.com/b/a/257722.htm - 24k - Cached - Similar
pages

Chemistry Blog
Pet Food Recall Expanded - Melamine & Wheat Gluten Toxicity
.... in the gluten may be sufficiently high to cause the
formation of crystals in kidney tubules. ...
chemistry.about.com/b/ - 47k -
http://chemistry.about.com/b/a/257722.htm
- Cached - Similar pages
Although I can't see how a wheat fertilizer
(melamine) and rodenticide (aminopterin) would be present in
high concentrations in the food, the contamination may be
the result of poor processing, and not some intentional
addition. Melamine normally is not considered a toxic
ingredient, but the concentration in the gluten may be
sufficiently high to cause the formation of crystals in
kidney tubules.
Although there are two separate toxins now, the damage
and symptoms of poisoning are essentially the same (unusual
behavior, loss of appetite or vomiting, excessive thirst,
excessive urination, diarrhea). In lower doses, melamine
acts as a diuretic, so I would say increased thirst and
urination would be likely initial symptoms.

[ More results from chemistry.about.com ]
WSVN-TV - National News - Pet food contaminant believed more

You could see crystals in the wheat gluten," Sundlof told
The Associated Press. Sundlof and others have not been able
to explain why the chemical would have ...
www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/national/BO47745/ - 24k - Cached
- Similar pages

--

When one gains a political certainty akin to
a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude better than
the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that ye were
our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776