PDA

View Full Version : New Kitten

Junebug8065
April 3rd 07, 07:23 PM
I just got a new kitten almost a year ago and he always sleeps on top
of my head! I don't know why he does this, but only to me not my
brothers or parents. Often I have to lock him out of my room because
he wakes my mutliple times in one night!! Does anyone have any
suggestions as to how I could train him to sleep at the foot of my bed
instead of on top of my face. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!
Thank You!

Matthew
April 3rd 07, 07:31 PM
pick him up when he does it put him at the foot of your bed keep doing it
when he tires to come back up. You allowed the behavior to go on for over a
year now you must face the music and have some

"Junebug8065" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just got a new kitten almost a year ago and he always sleeps on top
> of my head! I don't know why he does this, but only to me not my
> brothers or parents. Often I have to lock him out of my room because
> he wakes my mutliple times in one night!! Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to how I could train him to sleep at the foot of my bed
> instead of on top of my face. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!
> Thank You!

Priscilla H. Ballou
April 3rd 07, 08:33 PM
In article om>,
"Junebug8065" > wrote:

> I just got a new kitten almost a year ago and he always sleeps on top
> of my head! I don't know why he does this, but only to me not my
> brothers or parents. Often I have to lock him out of my room because
> he wakes my mutliple times in one night!! Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to how I could train him to sleep at the foot of my bed
> instead of on top of my face. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!
> Thank You!

I suspect he'll grow out of this. When my Francis was a bitty thing (he
was handed to me at four weeks of age, he would climb up on top of my
head as I lay on the bed and snuggle there. I think it reminded him of
his mom.

Is your hair different from your brothers' or parents'? Is it possible
for you to wear a knitted cap or shower cap or the like to bed?

Good luck! You might want to treasure these memories for retrieval when
he's given up this kind of cute trick.

Priscilla

Lynne
April 3rd 07, 09:10 PM
on Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:33:54 GMT, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
> wrote:

> You might want to treasure these memories for retrieval when
> he's given up this kind of cute trick.

IF he gives it up, I doubt it will be without some encouragement. My
kitten is STILL suckling on my lip, even though he's 9 months old. I have
tried "weaning" him, but he's so damn cute that I just can't.

--
Lynne

MsKitty
April 3rd 07, 10:25 PM
On Apr 3, 1:23 pm, "Junebug8065" > wrote:
> I just got a new kitten almost a year ago and he always sleeps on top
> of my head! I don't know why he does this, but only to me not my
> brothers or parents. Often I have to lock him out of my room because
> he wakes my mutliple times in one night!! Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to how I could train him to sleep at the foot of my bed
> instead of on top of my face. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!
> Thank You!

He likes sleeping there because it is warm. Just keep moving him to
the foot and eventually he will get the idea, although it will take a
bit since it has been going on so long!

Cheryl
April 4th 07, 12:09 AM
"Junebug8065" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just got a new kitten almost a year ago and he always sleeps on top
> of my head! I don't know why he does this, but only to me not my
> brothers or parents. Often I have to lock him out of my room because
> he wakes my mutliple times in one night!! Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to how I could train him to sleep at the foot of my bed
> instead of on top of my face. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!
> Thank You!

My first ct Mrley t ge 13 never outgrew sleeping on my hed. He kneeded my
sclp s I slept, too, so t some point I hd to bnish him from the sleeping
qurters. It hurt, nd I lwys woke with mouthful of fur. He hted being
bnished, so the sooner you hve to do it, the better for him to get used to
it.

Good luck nd it's still cute. LOL

Cheryl
(fill in missing vowels with the letter ; lptop died nd while witing for
prt, I'm stuck with n old PC with bd keybord nd by now I'm tired of C&Ping
the letter lol.)

Matthew
April 4th 07, 01:35 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:33:54 GMT, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
> > wrote:
>
>> You might want to treasure these memories for retrieval when
>> he's given up this kind of cute trick.
>
> IF he gives it up, I doubt it will be without some encouragement. My
> kitten is STILL suckling on my lip, even though he's 9 months old. I have
> tried "weaning" him, but he's so damn cute that I just can't.
>
> --
> Lynne

Ha sucker ;-)

bookie
April 4th 07, 03:16 AM
On 3 Apr, 19:23, "Junebug8065" > wrote:
> I just got a new kitten almost a year ago and he always sleeps on top
> of my head! I don't know why he does this, but only to me not my
> brothers or parents. Often I have to lock him out of my room because
> he wakes my mutliple times in one night!! Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to how I could train him to sleep at the foot of my bed
> instead of on top of my face. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!
> Thank You!

just learnt to live with it, he may grow out of it someday but lets
face it, it is rather cute. i woudl be rather flattered if my jessie
even slept onmy bed with me but she won't, only when I am not in it
will she sleep on it, all other times she is either in her radiator
hammock right next to the bed or in a box of my rowing kit at the foot
of the bed. I coudln't imagine 'training' her to do anything, i think
it woudl be a fruitless task really.

i reckon he sleeps there because your head is the warmest part fo you
(it is where we lose most of our boyd heat remember) so if yu REALLY
want to stop him sleeping there then maybe get one of those heating
pad things that you heat inthe microwave or a hot water bottle and put
it next to your feet and then place him there too on top of it. When
he realises there is a nother source of heat for him down there he may
choose to sleep there instead of on your head. Just an idea, try it,
it may work.

bookie

cybercat
April 4th 07, 03:24 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 3 Apr, 19:23, "Junebug8065" > wrote:
>> I just got a new kitten almost a year ago and he always sleeps on top
>> of my head! I don't know why he does this, but only to me not my
>> brothers or parents. Often I have to lock him out of my room because
>> he wakes my mutliple times in one night!! Does anyone have any
>> suggestions as to how I could train him to sleep at the foot of my bed
>> instead of on top of my face. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!
>> Thank You!
>
> just learnt to live with it, he may grow out of it someday but lets
> face it, it is rather cute.

Yep. Gracie wakes me up several times a night some nights, looking
for petting. She's a rescue, and it took her five years to feel comfortable
enough to really start demanding affection. She was so polite, so grateful
at first to be out of the shelter, it was very sweet but heartbreaking at
the
same time.

cybercat
April 4th 07, 03:28 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> My first ct Mrley t ge 13 never outgrew sleeping on my hed. He kneeded my
> sclp s I slept, too, so t some point I hd to bnish him from the sleeping
> qurters. It hurt, nd I lwys woke with mouthful of fur. He hted being
> bnished, so the sooner you hve to do it, the better for him to get used to
> it.
>
> Good luck nd it's still cute. LOL
>
> Cheryl
> (fill in missing vowels with the letter ; lptop died nd while witing for
> prt, I'm stuck with n old PC with bd keybord nd by now I'm tired of
> C&Ping
> the letter lol.)

Hahaha! No, I mean, I am sorry about your laptop but this is funny. The
letter
__!

Cheryl
April 5th 07, 12:08 AM
On Tue 03 Apr 2007 10:28:25p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>>>

>> My first cat Marley at age 13 never outgrew sleeping on my
>> head. He kneeded my scalp as I slept, too, so at some point I
>> had to banish him from the sleeping quarters. It hurt, and I
>> always woke with mouthful of fur. He hated being banished, so
>> the sooner you hve to do it, the better for him to get used to
>> it.
>>
>> Good luck and it's still cute. LOL
>>
>> Cheryl
>> (fill in missing vowels with the letter a; laptop died and
>> while waiting for part, I'm stuck with an old PC with a bad
>> keyboard and by now I'm tired of C&Ping
>> the letter a lol.)
>>

> Hahaha! No, I mean, I am sorry about your laptop but this is
> funny. The letter
> __!

It's all fixed now. ;o)

--
Cheryl

cybercat
April 5th 07, 12:56 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> It's all fixed now. ;o)

Well, cool. I want a laptop. Mine is fried. Hey, listen to this! On the
way back from lunch with a friend, we drove through a little neighborhood
across from the university and there was a spotless 20-inch KDS
"Visual Sensations" monitor curbside with a sign that said "Free Monitor!
Works!" So now I upgraded from my old 17-inch for free! I know the
previous owner must have been cool because there is a sticker of
an orange tabby on the front. ;)

Cheryl
April 5th 07, 01:14 AM
On Wed 04 Apr 2007 07:56:22p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> Well, cool. I want a laptop. Mine is fried. Hey, listen to this!
> On the way back from lunch with a friend, we drove through a
> little neighborhood across from the university and there was a
> spotless 20-inch KDS "Visual Sensations" monitor curbside with a
> sign that said "Free Monitor! Works!" So now I upgraded from my
> old 17-inch for free! I know the previous owner must have been
> cool because there is a sticker of an orange tabby on the front.
> ;)

That's a very good way to recycle things. You lucked out! That's why
I like Freecycle so much -- no point in throwing something out when
"decluttering" just to end up in the landfill when someone else can
use it.

--
Cheryl

cybercat
April 5th 07, 05:52 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote>

> You lucked out!

Oh, man, I really did, and I rarely do, lol! I love getting something
for nothing. My husband hates this about me, he is one of those
"status buyer" types. But without the money, hahaha. Poor guy.

>That's why
> I like Freecycle so much -- no point in throwing something out when
> "decluttering" just to end up in the landfill when someone else can
> use it.

Hmm, what is that? I will have to Google it. Craig's list has an amazingly
long "free" section in my area, though not in Barry's, I noticed when I was
trying to find him some stuff. I wonder what it is like for your area.

cybercat
April 7th 07, 06:22 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote >

Freecycle is
> big here. Check it out sometime: http://www.freecycle.org. The
> search in your area will take you to Yahoo groups where you sign
> up. My community has a very active list.

How cool is that! Raleigh had over 4,000 members! I will follow their
advice and offer something before I ask for anything. Thanks!

cybercat
April 7th 07, 06:25 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote

> Don't know about Craig's list. I only looked one time but too many
> "personal ads"

That's true now that I think about it. Did you see the thing in the news
last week about the Craig's List ad that invited people to take whatever
they wanted from a house--and as it turns out the woman who owns the house
did not place the ad. Ugh.