PDA

View Full Version : is there an Antidote for Revolution? (fleas)

Doug Bashford
April 5th 07, 11:58 PM
is there an Antidote for Revolution?
....or another equally good product?

Last time I used it, one of my 2 cats got
very sick. ...Nerve problems like drunkenness
and a cocked head for a week or so.
I thought she might die.
She had used it twice before, once a year, no problem.

I dont wanna use it again unless there is
an antidote.

If not, any suggestions? ...A good, easy product
for flea infestation? (fleas don't bother me personally)
We get fleas, bad, every Spring. Oddly, my cats hardly
ever scratch themselves.

Thanks!
--Doug

--

When one gains a political certainty akin to
a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude better than
the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that ye were
our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776

MaryL
April 6th 07, 02:07 PM
"Doug Bashford" > wrote in message
om...

> is there an Antidote for Revolution?
> ...or another equally good product?
>
> Last time I used it, one of my 2 cats got
> very sick. ...Nerve problems like drunkenness
> and a cocked head for a week or so.
> I thought she might die.
> She had used it twice before, once a year, no problem.
>
> I dont wanna use it again unless there is
> an antidote.
>
> If not, any suggestions? ...A good, easy product
> for flea infestation? (fleas don't bother me personally)
> We get fleas, bad, every Spring. Oddly, my cats hardly
> ever scratch themselves.
>
> Thanks!
> --Doug

My cats are indoor-only, and I rarely need to use flea medication. When I
do, I use Advantage. That has worked very well, with no problems.

I used Revolution *only once* and will never use it again. Duffy had an
immediate panic attack (the only time I have seen him react that way in the
years since I adopted him) when Revolution was applied, and Holly had a much
milder reaction.

MaryL

Sherry
April 6th 07, 03:23 PM
On Apr 6, 8:07 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Doug Bashford" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>

> > is there an Antidote for Revolution?
> > ...or another equally good product?
>
> > Last time I used it, one of my 2 cats got
> > very sick. ...Nerve problems like drunkenness
> > and a cocked head for a week or so.
> > I thought she might die.
> > She had used it twice before, once a year, no problem.
>
> > I dont wanna use it again unless there is
> > an antidote.
>
> > If not, any suggestions? ...A good, easy product
> > for flea infestation? (fleas don't bother me personally)
> > We get fleas, bad, every Spring. Oddly, my cats hardly
> > ever scratch themselves.
>
> > Thanks!
> > --Doug
>
> My cats are indoor-only, and I rarely need to use flea medication. When I
> do, I use Advantage. That has worked very well, with no problems.
>
> I used Revolution *only once* and will never use it again. Duffy had an
> immediate panic attack (the only time I have seen him react that way in the
> years since I adopted him) when Revolution was applied, and Holly had a much
> milder reaction.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

Sherry

Lynne
April 6th 07, 03:31 PM
on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:23:17 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:

> He did fine
> with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
> the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

I think that is a very good idea, and one that never occurred to me. I'm
going to take this same approach, because you just never know.

--
Lynne

MaryL
April 6th 07, 05:31 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 6, 8:07 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>> "Doug Bashford" > wrote in message
>>
>> om...
>>

>> > is there an Antidote for Revolution?
>> > ...or another equally good product?
>>
>> > Last time I used it, one of my 2 cats got
>> > very sick. ...Nerve problems like drunkenness
>> > and a cocked head for a week or so.
>> > I thought she might die.
>> > She had used it twice before, once a year, no problem.
>>
>> > I dont wanna use it again unless there is
>> > an antidote.
>>
>> > If not, any suggestions? ...A good, easy product
>> > for flea infestation? (fleas don't bother me personally)
>> > We get fleas, bad, every Spring. Oddly, my cats hardly
>> > ever scratch themselves.
>>
>> > Thanks!
>> > --Doug
>>
>> My cats are indoor-only, and I rarely need to use flea medication. When
>> do, I use Advantage. That has worked very well, with no problems.
>>
>> I used Revolution *only once* and will never use it again. Duffy had an
>> immediate panic attack (the only time I have seen him react that way in
>> the
>> years since I adopted him) when Revolution was applied, and Holly had a
>> much
>> milder reaction.
>>
>> MaryL- Hide quoted text -
>
> Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
> They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
> scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
> Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
> with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
> the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.
>
> Sherry

I had also bought a 6-pack, but the vet clinic refunded my money for the
remaining 4 doses. They also told me that the reaction I described was
unusual, but they had seen it before with Revolution.

One reason many people like Revolution is that it is "multi-purpose." My
opinion now is that we should not consider these multi-purpose medications
unless we *need* them. In other words, if fleas are the only problem, then
treat only for fleas. Of course, I do realize that *any* medication has the
potential to have an adverse effect on some cats (just as with people).

MaryL

MaryL
April 6th 07, 07:50 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
> They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
> scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
> Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
> with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
> the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.
>
> Sherry

Duffy's panic attack didn't involve drooling. He reacted in sheer terror.
He leaped straight up into the air, then began to run in circles at full
speed. Since he is blind, he ran into walls and furniture (in fact, bounced
off the walls) but was running so fast that I couldn't catch him for several
minutes. I was really afraid he was going to hurt himself. I have never
seen him become frightened and disoriented like that except for the one time
I used Revolution. He is usually a completely confident, alert little guy
who almost has a "sixth sense" to tell him where everything is. But not
that day! He did calm down quickly once I was able to get to him and hold
him in my arms.

MaryL

Sherry
April 6th 07, 10:15 PM
On Apr 6, 11:31 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Apr 6, 8:07 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> > wrote:
> >> "Doug Bashford" > wrote in message
>
> om...

> >> My cats are indoor-only, and I rarely need to use flea medication. When
> >> do, I use Advantage. That has worked very well, with no problems.
>
> >> I used Revolution *only once* and will never use it again. Duffy had an
> >> immediate panic attack (the only time I have seen him react that way in
> >> the
> >> years since I adopted him) when Revolution was applied, and Holly had a
> >> much
> >> milder reaction.
>
> >> MaryL- Hide quoted text -
>
> > Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
> > They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
> > scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
> > Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
> > with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
> > the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.
>
> > Sherry
>
> I had also bought a 6-pack, but the vet clinic refunded my money for the
> remaining 4 doses. They also told me that the reaction I described was
> unusual, but they had seen it before with Revolution.
>
> One reason many people like Revolution is that it is "multi-purpose." My
> opinion now is that we should not consider these multi-purpose medications
> unless we *need* them. In other words, if fleas are the only problem, then
> treat only for fleas. Of course, I do realize that *any* medication has the
> potential to have an adverse effect on some cats (just as with people).
>
> MaryL

Yes, the multi-purpose thing is the reason I bought it, instead of
Advantage which I usually use. Frank has tapeworms. I saw a segment on
the fur on his "back parts". I thought if he has them, the other may,
and since flea season isn't far away I'd just try to Revolution.

Sherry

Sherry
April 6th 07, 10:18 PM
On Apr 6, 9:31 am, Lynne > wrote:
> on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:23:17 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:
>
> > He did fine
> > with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
> > the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.
>
> I think that is a very good idea, and one that never occurred to me. I'm
> going to take this same approach, because you just never know.
>
> --
> Lynne

I learned it the hard way. Once I took them to a late Friday p.m.
appointment for vaccinations. Yoda had an awful reaction a few hours
later, after they had closed for the weekend.
Sherry

Doug Bashford
April 10th 07, 12:26 AM
(repost, repaired NG list -sorry if dupe)

Thanks everybody! Verry good info!

This was my conclusion also:
> I *never* treated a pet for fleas on
> the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

Yes! The feeling of helplessness otherwise is overpowering.

Advantage seems like it might be an improvement.
I'll see what the vet says.

==============excerpts:

Try Advantage or Frontline Plus. I've never used Revolution, but
I've never seen a bad reaction to Advantage or Frontline Plus in my

--------
=======
They also told me that the reaction I described was
** unusual, but they had seen it before with Revolution.
One reason many people like Revolution is that it is
"multi-purpose." My opinion now is that we should not consider these
multi-purpose medications unless we *need* them.
==========
==========

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:50:23 -0500, MaryL said about:
Re: is there an Antidote for Revolution? (fleas)

> "Sherry" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >

> > Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
> > They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
> > scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
> > Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
> > with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
> > the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.
> >
> > Sherry

I dont think the term "panic attack" should be
used here. That has a specific meaning, and
is nothing like that. The description is much better.

People here (like me) are depending on acuracy.
depending depending depending !

My cat showed trouble keeping her feet for several days, was
less mal-cordination for week or so, and a cocked or tilted head for a
week or two. I felt utterly helpless to help.

All our symptopms sound to me like nerve problems.

As I recall ? Revolution is a neurotoxin, as are
the most deadly of military nerve gases and ag bug sprays.

I worked for years as a citrus farmer.
The idea of systemic toxins frightens me. ...turning
your pet into bug bait. I was seduced by
the ease and effectivness.

Gee, no free lunch?

Thanks again!

> Duffy's panic attack didn't involve drooling. He reacted in sheer terror.
> He leaped straight up into the air, then began to run in circles at full
> speed. Since he is blind, he ran into walls and furniture (in fact, bounced
> off the walls) but was running so fast that I couldn't catch him for several
> minutes. I was really afraid he was going to hurt himself. I have never
> seen him become frightened and disoriented like that except for the one time
> I used Revolution. He is usually a completely confident, alert little guy
> who almost has a "sixth sense" to tell him where everything is. But not
> that day! He did calm down quickly once I was able to get to him and hold
> him in my arms.
>
> MaryL

--Doug

- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776

James
April 10th 07, 04:27 AM
I use the cheap Hartz stuff. Instead of applying the whole thing once
a month, I usually use a few drops a week. If I see ticks I put the
drop directly on the tick. It seems to work. My pussy sleeps with me
so if I get bitten I increase the dose.

Doug Bashford
April 10th 07, 05:08 AM
Two more thoughts.

It may be unrelated, but in the year since
then, that cat has gone from good hearing
to stone deaf. I have no idea what the delay
time was, if any.

There is a general purpose atropine-based
military nerve gas antidote. But would it
kill cats?

google Results about 46,600 for "nerve gas" antidote. (0.16 seconds)

- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776

MaryL
April 22nd 07, 07:45 PM
"James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I use the cheap Hartz stuff. Instead of applying the whole thing once
> a month, I usually use a few drops a week. If I see ticks I put the
> drop directly on the tick. It seems to work. My pussy sleeps with me
> so if I get bitten I increase the dose.

I had not checked this thread for awhile and just now saw your message.

Pleas *do not* use Hartz. There have been numerous reports (confirmed, not
just anecdotal) of reactions, even including death. Hartz denied that their
product was to blame but did remove one of the products from the market. An
agreement was reached between the EPA and Hartz, but I would not be willing
to take a risk after seeing that it took thousands of these reports before
Hartz agreed to take any action. A lawsuit was also filed.

You can find many references if you google for them. Here are a few links:
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/hartzq_a.htm
http://catangel.org/hartz.htm
http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=789
http://www.geocities.com/hartzquilt/

MaryL

Cheryl
April 22nd 07, 08:27 PM
On Sun 22 Apr 2007 02:45:30p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> "James" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I use the cheap Hartz stuff. Instead of applying the whole
>>thing once
>> a month, I usually use a few drops a week. If I see ticks I
>> put the drop directly on the tick. It seems to work. My pussy
>> sleeps with me so if I get bitten I increase the dose.
>>

> I had not checked this thread for awhile and just now saw your
> message.
>
> Pleas *do not* use Hartz. There have been numerous reports
> (confirmed, not just anecdotal) of reactions, even including
> death. Hartz denied that their product was to blame but did
> remove one of the products from the market. An agreement was
> reached between the EPA and Hartz, but I would not be willing
> to take a risk after seeing that it took thousands of these
> reports before Hartz agreed to take any action. A lawsuit was
> also filed.

Yeesh, I never saw the OP. Not only is Hartz dangerous and
ineffective, what the OP is doing is not even according to the
label. Any of the treatments that you apply to the skin MUST be
applied to the back of the neck so the cat can't lick it off.
Also, only use the amount indicated, though some of the formulas
like Advantage can be applied earlier than one month if fleas come
back. Still, I wouldn't use any of these pesticides in a manner
that goes against label use.

--
Cheryl

MaryL
April 22nd 07, 08:32 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 22 Apr 2007 02:45:30p, MaryL wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>

>> "James" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>I use the cheap Hartz stuff. Instead of applying the whole
>>>thing once
>>> a month, I usually use a few drops a week. If I see ticks I
>>> put the drop directly on the tick. It seems to work. My pussy
>>> sleeps with me so if I get bitten I increase the dose.
>>>

>> I had not checked this thread for awhile and just now saw your
>> message.
>>
>> Pleas *do not* use Hartz. There have been numerous reports
>> (confirmed, not just anecdotal) of reactions, even including
>> death. Hartz denied that their product was to blame but did
>> remove one of the products from the market. An agreement was
>> reached between the EPA and Hartz, but I would not be willing
>> to take a risk after seeing that it took thousands of these
>> reports before Hartz agreed to take any action. A lawsuit was
>> also filed.
>
> Yeesh, I never saw the OP. Not only is Hartz dangerous and
> ineffective, what the OP is doing is not even according to the
> label. Any of the treatments that you apply to the skin MUST be
> applied to the back of the neck so the cat can't lick it off.
> Also, only use the amount indicated, though some of the formulas
> like Advantage can be applied earlier than one month if fleas come
> back. Still, I wouldn't use any of these pesticides in a manner
> that goes against label use.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Excellent point! I overlooked that, and it is *very important.* Using
these pesticides in a manner that goes against label use could be *very
dangerous* -- just as you said -- and (and could even be fatal) to the cat.

MaryL