PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace, Amaretto

Peg Caldwell Ott
April 7th 07, 03:18 PM
Many thanks to all of you who have helped us so much with Amaretto,
from his long standing troubles with diabetes (10 years) and his more
recent problem with CRF. Despite our best efforts, and those of our
incredible vet, Amaretto died at about 7:20 this morning.

He ate a good salmon Fancy Feast dinner last night, had his insulin
and CRF fluids and pills. He was absolutely adamant to get to his
"round"--what we call the round heating pads that we have on one side
of our bedroom, one for each cat. In retrospect, the vet said that his
body temperature was probably already dropping at that point, and he
was feeling cold. He woke me up with a small meow at about 6:30 am.
Thinking he needed the litter box, I carried him to it, but he
struggled like mad to get out of it. I carried him back into the
bedroom, where me immediately peed on me and the floor. I put him on
the day bed, still urinating but lying still, and woke Derek to help
me clean up the puddles. About 10 minutes latter, Amaretto's body
started to jerk and he opened his mouth, as if he needed help to
breathe. Once again, in retrospect, the vet said this was "agona
breathing"--I could only describe as as a violent case of the hiccups
without any noise. This lasted for a few minutes, then his body went
totally limp--he could not even hold his head up. Derek stayed with
Amaretto while I mad a mad dash to call the vet, at a total loss as to
what to do. Despite the earliness of the hour on a Saturday morning,
the vet's office was able to contact one of the doctors, who told us
to check to see if Amaretto was still breathing at all, or if he had
any movement to his eyes when we touched them. He did not. When I
lifted him to put him in the cat carrier, his eyes were open, but his
body was totally limp although still warm from the towels we had over
him. We immediately brought him down to the vet's office, and the
technician on duty confirmed that Amaretto's heart had stopped,
perhaps from a heart attack. The vet materialized about 30 minutes
later and confirmed the worst. We will have him privately cremated
and collect to ashes in about 2 weeks. We thought to hold on to them
and eventually have his ashes mingled with our own for burial at sea.

All we can say is that Amaretto lived and died on his own terms. He
was a valiant little fighter and we will miss him more than we can
say.

We still have a lot of Amaretto's medications, including several bags
of the CRF fluids, insulin, syringes, etc.... We thought to donote
them to Bide-A-Wee or the Humane Society for any pet that can have use
of them. Does anyone know an address where we can send them?

As a memorial, we are writing a tribute to mail out to family and
friends.

Our concern now if for Alino, Amaretto's younger brother, who has been
terribly confused for the past week or so with all of the attention we
have been paying to Amaretto. He is sitting on a padded desk chair
next to us right now--in between our two computers--and does not seem
to understand why Mommy and Papa are so upset.

This afternoon, we thought to go down to PetCo and check out the
kittens they have up for adoption. Alino needs companionship and we
need to see some lively life after the dreaddful events of this
morning. Derek is keen to adopt another kitten as soon as possible,
but I am not so sure--I need a little time to let all this soak in.

PegNDerek Caldwell-Ott
Manhattan, NYC

22brix
April 7th 07, 04:57 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss and I'm so sorry you had to go through this
experience. He lived a long, rich life and was lucky to have you as his
willing slaves.

My veterinary hospital donates returned supplies to other pets that can use
them. Maybe your vet can do the same.

Hugs and purrs your way,

Bonnie

sheelagh
April 7th 07, 05:44 PM
On 7 Apr, 15:18, Peg Caldwell Ott > wrote:
> [...]
> of them. Does anyone know an address where we can send them?
>
> As a memorial, we are writing a tribute to mail out to family and
> friends.
>
> Our concern now if for Alino, Amaretto's younger brother, who has been
> terribly confused for the past week or so with all of the attention we
> have been paying to Amaretto. He is sitting on a padded desk chair
> next to us right now--in between our two computers--and does not seem
> to understand why Mommy and Papa are so upset.
>
> This afternoon, we thought to go down to PetCo and check out the
> kittens they have up for adoption. Alino needs companionship and we
> need to see some lively life after the dreaddful events of this
> morning. Derek is keen to adopt another kitten as soon as possible,
> but I am not so sure--I need a little time to let all this soak in.

No one could fail to be moved by the wonderful tribute that you
posted.
I have only been with the group for a short time, so I am not so
familiar with Amaretto story. However, I have been through the heart
ache of a sick cat and the loss that you have endured so stoically. It
is almost an unbearable emptiness & a recollection of moments that you
have shared that hits you at first. Those memories will stay with you
forever, but as time passes, you will see that he gave it his all, as
you did. He loved you as much as you loved him, & You must see that
his time was ripe & he needed to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

The part of your heart that was Amaretto's, he took with him;no one
will ever take that from you, or can ever be replaced by another
kitty. However, Amaretto would not want you to mourn him forever, in
the same way that you would not wish him to mourn you. I am more than
certain that he watches over you & wishes you well on your life's
journey, until you meet again.
You did every single thing that was possible to be done for him, so
rest easy in that knowledge...

>From Amaretto's story, I can glean that he had a fantastic life with
slaves who were devoted to him
You must go on for his brother sake. He loves you dearly too, & as you
mention yourself, he is confused as to why there is so much grief now
that he is alone with you. It is not for me to tell you what is best
for you, because we all have different belief's. If it is your wish
that you all be buried @ sea, then arrange it. It sounds like you have
had time to consider your wishes, so go with your heart.
I'm certain that you will do the right thing for you & those that love
you, & that is all that is important.
We share your loss & wish you well...

Hugs,
Sheelagh

blkcatgal
April 7th 07, 05:57 PM
I am sorry to hear about Amaretto. You have my heartfelt condolences.

Sue

"Peg Caldwell Ott" > wrote in message

> [...]
> of them. Does anyone know an address where we can send them?
>
> As a memorial, we are writing a tribute to mail out to family and
> friends.
>
> Our concern now if for Alino, Amaretto's younger brother, who has been
> terribly confused for the past week or so with all of the attention we
> have been paying to Amaretto. He is sitting on a padded desk chair
> next to us right now--in between our two computers--and does not seem
> to understand why Mommy and Papa are so upset.
>
> This afternoon, we thought to go down to PetCo and check out the
> kittens they have up for adoption. Alino needs companionship and we
> need to see some lively life after the dreaddful events of this
> morning. Derek is keen to adopt another kitten as soon as possible,
> but I am not so sure--I need a little time to let all this soak in.

cybercat
April 7th 07, 06:20 PM
"Peg Caldwell Ott" > wrote in message

> Many thanks to all of you who have helped us so much with Amaretto,
> from his long standing troubles with diabetes (10 years) and his more
> recent problem with CRF. Despite our best efforts, and those of our
> incredible vet, Amaretto died at about 7:20 this morning.

I'm so sorry.

Lynne
April 8th 07, 12:30 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

--
Lynne

Michael Lane
April 8th 07, 01:02 AM
Peg wrote,

>Amaretto died at about 7:20 this
> morning. >
>He ate a good salmon Fancy Feast
> dinner last

My deepest sympathy at this time in your life!

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

Gandalf
April 8th 07, 01:39 AM
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:18:17 -0400, Peg Caldwell Ott
SNIPPAGE

>Our concern now if for Alino, Amaretto's younger brother, who has been
>terribly confused for the past week or so with all of the attention we
>have been paying to Amaretto. He is sitting on a padded desk chair
>next to us right now--in between our two computers--and does not seem
>to understand why Mommy and Papa are so upset.
>
>This afternoon, we thought to go down to PetCo and check out the
>kittens they have up for adoption. Alino needs companionship and we
>need to see some lively life after the dreaddful events of this
>morning. Derek is keen to adopt another kitten as soon as possible,
>but I am not so sure--I need a little time to let all this soak in.
>
>PegNDerek Caldwell-Ott
>Manhattan, NYC

I'm so sorry to hear that Amaretto is gone, and that he didn't have an
easier time of it. But at least you were there with him to comfort him,
and that's a lot.

Perhaps you might consider adopting a young adult (perhaps a female) as
a companion for Alino?

An energetic kitten can be a bit much for an adult cat.

There are so many wonderful adult cats who need homes. The kittens
always seem to get adopted, but even a 1 year old cat is often seen as
'too old'.

I adopted a 3YO cat when one of my elderly cats went to the Bridge. The
remaining cat, also very elderly, never made friends, but they learned
to tolerate, and ignore each other in peace.

I doubt this would be the case with a kitten: they * always* want to
play!

After volunteering for a no-kill shelter many years ago, I learned how
many wonderful adult cats need homes, and how hard it is to find them.

I made myself a promise that I would always adopt an adult cat, when the
time comes.

Rest in peace, Amaretto!

Moongal
April 8th 07, 02:41 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I know how hard it is.

mlbriggs
April 8th 07, 07:55 PM
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:18:17 -0400, Peg Caldwell Ott wrote:

> [...]
> of them. Does anyone know an address where we can send them?
>
> As a memorial, we are writing a tribute to mail out to family and
> friends.
>
> Our concern now if for Alino, Amaretto's younger brother, who has been
> terribly confused for the past week or so with all of the attention we
> have been paying to Amaretto. He is sitting on a padded desk chair
> next to us right now--in between our two computers--and does not seem
> to understand why Mommy and Papa are so upset.
>
> This afternoon, we thought to go down to PetCo and check out the
> kittens they have up for adoption. Alino needs companionship and we
> need to see some lively life after the dreaddful events of this
> morning. Derek is keen to adopt another kitten as soon as possible,
> but I am not so sure--I need a little time to let all this soak in.

"...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go.."
Sincere condolences in the loss of Amaretto.